Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I'd been thinking of getting an AOC AG352UCG, but if I'm understanding correctly I guess if I'm looking for 34" 1440p gsync I should really hold out for a $900 Alienware if they ever happen again, or go for an x34p otherwise? Or is the AOC fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I recently got an Acer X34P, and it's been spectacular - love the form factor, the resolution is great, and I'm not really compromising on refresh rate after coming from a 144hz monitor. No problems with quality; no dead pixels or backlight bleed, etc.

Seemed worth the trip report since the x34p's sibling AW3418DW is getting a lot of attention lately due to all the discounts; but I got this for about the same price as the AW at it's cheapest thus far, no real regrets.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I have a curved 34" monitor for personal use, and a flat 34" for work. Sitting at the work one, the lack of curve is clear, and compared to the curved one (an x34p) the lack of curve feels... Weird.

Using the curved monitor feels natural and I can hardly actually notice the curve sitting at it. Whereas with the flat screen the far sides of the monitor are far enough away that I notice the perspective shift and it doesn't look as nice or as 'comfortable' to my eye. Everything is still totally legible, its not unusable in the least. It just feels better to have a curve with an ultrawide imo. Up to you if the cost difference between otherwise comparable monitors is worth it.

That said curved 16x9 or 10 monitors are still dumb, agreed.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

CordlessPen posted:

I use a 34" PG348Q for work and it works pretty well. If you have Windows 10, out of the box you can snap windows to the left and right halves then move the separation line, but unless I'm missing something there's no way to snap 3 windows to a third of the screen each. With Win11 in addition to that you also have little presets that you can use by dragging the window to the top of the screen which include different 3-way splits:
(this is in portrait but you get the idea)

For Teams sharing, I either share a single app with its window sized to an eyeballed 16:9 ratio or share the laptop screen instead of the ultrawide. I haven't found a streamlined way to share a 16:9 portion of my screen but I haven't looked for one since those 2 options work pretty well for me.

ETA: I also find that sharing a window that's snapped to whatever half of the screen can also work well for more vertical stuff.

I think some of the gigawide 32:9 monitors can do 2 inputs on the left and right, so if you want to spend 2 grand on a monitor that could maybe be the best of both worlds!

Microsoft makes a suite of tools calls PowerToys, and it includes one called Fancy Zones that lets you define regions to snap windows to while holding shift.

https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/

That, and a bunch of the other tools included are very useful - ultrawide monitor or not.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Have had an ultrawide for like 4 or 5 years now, and while there's a handful of games I've come across that don't support ultrawide, either I can find a pretty easy mod or file change that will fix that right up without trouble, or I just run it letterboxed or windowed with no issue depending on which I'm happier with. Very happy with my ultrawide, and am just waiting on the super combo of >3440x1440, HDR 10+, and 120+ hz to upgrade.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

DrDork posted:

A 42" TV/monitor is gonna be about 22" tall, plus stand. A 38" 1600p is gonna be about 15-16" tall, plus stand. That's a massive difference for a lot of people in terms of what can fit within their desk space, and how it feels to be using it--considerably more eye travel if you sit at a "normal desk" distance on the 42" than the 38".

So while the pixel count might be similar, the actual experience using them is quite different and will appeal to different people.

This is my situation. A 38" ultrawide would essentially maximize the use of available space for me, while a 42" 16:9 would be too big in the wrong dimensions.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my X34 Predator Ultrawide sometime next year. Are there any monitors coming out in the pipeline that are 1) 5k2k Ultrawide 2) 100Hz+ 3) IPS and low latency 4) 34-40'' at most?

I'm using the same monitor and have been on the lookout for similar to what you're looking for (though I usually think about 3840x1600 rather than all the way out to 5k2k) - as far as I know there's nothing coming up that meets those specs or similar, really. It's all iterations on 3440x1440 and Samsung's increasingly unreasonably wide monitors like that ridiculous 57 inch 7680x2160 one.

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 20, 2023

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Is it so much to ask for more new regular ultrawides and not these obscenelywides - like a 38 or 40" ultrawide at like 3840x1600 or 4320x1800. Maybe even 5120x2160. Plus HDR. and 120+ hz. Totally no problem I'm sure.

Instead it's nonstop 5120x1440 behemoths. No one's been making content at that width! I've got plenty enough space for things without the whole extra monitor of width these 32:9's are selling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Dell just announced a new UltraSharp model that's 40" 5120x2160 120hz with an IPS Black panel from LG (an IPS with a 2000:1 contrast ratio). The catch is that it has a $2400 MSRP, lmao

There's apparently some high-resolution WOLED ultrawides in the works that may fit your needs, but the high-density 5120x2160 model reportedly isn't coming until next year.

Cross-Section posted:

End of the year/beginning of next year is when the 39''-45'' 21:9s with the nice new RGWB panels start dropping.

Oh, poo poo! I've been complaining about the lack of bigger, brighter 21:9s for so long and hadn't seen anything on it I figured it just wasn't coming any time soon still. Well, end of year / end of next still isn't quite "soon", but great to see they're coming.

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 6, 2024