Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xybjj
Sep 11, 2010
I'm looking for a new monitor, and I have my sights on a Samsung B2330H. Should I get it? It's extremely cheap compared to others at where I plan to buy it.

edit: I game a lot, watch movies and work with video (editing, etc). The Dell U2311H is also in my price range. Which should I get?

Xybjj fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xybjj
Sep 11, 2010
I've been looking at the Dell U2311H. I'm a heavy gamer and I do video editing. Some googling later, I've found that the U2311H has some ghosting but is hard to notice unless I'm really paying attention. Should I get it or find some other TN monitor?

edit: scratch the video editing part, I don't do enough editing work to justify an IPS monitor.

Xybjj fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 16, 2010

Xybjj
Sep 11, 2010

LakesGuzzler posted:

Ghosting is subjective. Some people don't notice if the entire screen is a blur - others go batshit at anything less than a 120Hz monitor designed by the world champion of FPS gaming. If in any doubt, once again, I say try and find a demo one somewhere or a friend with one.

Heavy gaming and not enough editing work to justify IPS (such as the Dell) screams TN to me though.

I've been looking at the Samsung B2330H for a while now. It's probably the cheapest 23 incher that I can find. It's about 10 bucks below the U2311H. It's response time is 5ms. The U2311H is 8ms. Surely I can't see a difference, since there's only 3ms difference between those 2 screens.

(I live in Singapore, so my prices may be different from other regions)

Xybjj
Sep 11, 2010

DrDork posted:

As was born out in the previous thread, response times are basically dirty lies and should (at most) be used as such:
Is the response time >10ms? If so, you'll probably notice ghosting/latency when gaming.
Is the response time <10ms? If so, you may or may not notice ghosting/latency when gaming regardless of what the number is. That is, the difference between 2ms, 5ms, and 8ms amount to measuring techniques and should be ignored. A 2ms panel coupled with a lovely processing chip will perform worse than an 8ms panel coupled with a nice and fast chip. Sadly, there's no way to know which is which without looking at individual reviews.

tl;dr Unless you're used to playing crazy-rear end timing games on a CRT, it is unlikely you'll notice any ghosting/latency on the U2311H, let alone any difference between the U2311H and the B2330H (or any other quality monitor in its class).

Thank you. I've been skimming over a lot of reviews on the U2311H, all of which say that ghosting is not noticeable. Looks like that's what I'll be getting for Christmas then.

Xybjj
Sep 11, 2010

Steakandchips posted:

Get a friend to buy it in Singapore, Malaysia or the States and bring it over. That's what I did.

Almost everything in the Dell Online Store in Singapore is always on sale, so you can take your time.