Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mustarde posted:

I'm an exclusive FPS gamer who has been living in the display stone age with a 24" 1920x1080 60hz screen. I'm ready to upgrade, but unsure what technology is worth getting (aside from 144hz). I currently have a GTX680 which handles most games I play just fine (Planetside 2, Dirty Bomb and CS:GO). Clearly I don't know just how "sensitive" I would be to tearing since I'm using such an old monitor, but it seems natural to get a g-sync supported monitor (especially since even with a beastly computer and potato settings Planetside will drop below 90 FPS in large fights).

Many people seem to feel that 24" is an ideal size for FPS games, much larger and it can get difficult following everything on the edges of the screen. I currently use 1920x1080 and don't know if I want/need higher res/size. I was hoping to find a 1440p screen but that's where I ran into some compromises.

The VG248QE looks pretty solid for what I need, and at a good price. But it is 1080p and doesn't support G-sync (and perhaps that is a good thing for what I need?).

The PG278Q appears to have everything I want, but is quite expensive. Part of me is tempted to go this route but i'm a little apprehensive about anything marketed "for gamers" (see all of razer's product line), as well as the bump in demand that will be placed on my 680. But on paper it seems to have it all.

There are some IPS monitors that look great too, but all have a 4ms response time and none use G-sync (the MG279Q uses free-sync). I honestly don't know if I would be able to appreciate the difference between the 1ms TN or 4ms IPS, but since I'm only playing shooters, I am thinking that for as much money as I am considering spending, I should probably go for the 1ms.

Anyone have a strong recommendation against the VG248Q, or think I am putting too much value on G-sync? It looks like the only 1ms 144hz 1440p screen out there right now. Should I wait for more competition or better offerings, or just go ahead and buy the shiniest looking thing out there?

The XB270HU is probably the best choice out there right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

reagan posted:

What do you guys think of this monitor? I plan on building a gaming PC in September. Not going to overclock anything, will run games at 1920x1080. Don't care too much about maximizing FPS. I've had a Dell 1708FP monitor for over 10 years, and aside from the atrocious vertical viewing angle I have been pretty happy with it, but it is finally time to upgrade to a decent widescreen monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-...LED-Lit+Monitor

If you don't care a lot about max FPS and whatnot I would get a Dell P2414H or U2414H, both have great color and viewing angles.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

reagan posted:

Thanks for the heads up. The U2414H is a decent price with my student discount + Dell coupon.

What do you think of the Dell monitor mentioned above? I don't know much about the different panels, but I'll have to read up on it as some screens give me severe headaches for whatever reason.

That might be due to PWM backlights that some screens use, this causes a subtle flicker that can be really hard on the eyes, the U2414H and P2414H do not have PWM backlights.

Her a review of the U2414H.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Nice deal on Dell P2314H 23" monitors today on newegg, $159.99 with promo code EMCAVKW23.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

StonedogJones posted:

i think i am going to jump on the 34" dell deal at newegg for $800. as someone who has never worried about monitor specs (i am using a 8 year old dell 24" 1920x1200, 12ms response time) can someone tell me that the U3415W will be a huge improvement and will be fine for games such as Elite Dangerous and the new Doom game when it comes out?

Here is a review of it: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u3415w.htm

It should be a big improvement, you'll need quite a strong video card to run games at that resolution, a 980 Ti would be ideal.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Granite Octopus posted:

I'm also interested in the Dell U2515H but I really don't want a heavy anti-glare screen. I prefer the iMac/Cinema Display style screens where it's just glass - I'm fortunate enough that I can generally control the lighting in my work situations, and just don't like the fuzziness of the 24" Dell I have now because of it's anti glare coating.

Can someone confirm if it's similar to the recent Dell 24" monitors of the same style? (don't have model number handy sorry) or if there are actually good glossy IPS screens made by anyone these days?

Older Dell screens had much heavier anti glare coatings, they toned that down for the newer models. Take a look at this review of the U2515H, in the panel section they talk about the screen coating.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I just got a VG248QE and I'll be using it at 120hz, which is my first foray into monitors above 60htz. What happens when I play an older game that only has support for 60htz in its resolution settings? Does the monitor automatically adjust to work with it or do I need to modify some settings elsewhere?

The game just runs at 60Hz.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Welp, I picked up a new monitor, a Dell U2415 for $240. My current VP2365wb was an amazing monitor back when I got it but I figure I can retire it to secondary monitor status. Anyone here have a U2415?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

I read the OP and googled around for TN vs VA info, but I still don't know which I should really go with. I play games and just browse online, which would be better for me overall or does it not really matter at the end of the day?

You want an IPS screen, they are fine for anything other than high speed FPS like CS or Quake Arena. They have the best image quality and color.

How big does it need to be, inches and resolution wise? How much budget do you have? Remember that a good screen will last years and years so it's not something you want to skimp on.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

This is the one I'm going to get if I can't decide because it seems fine and it's a VA panel. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ITORMDC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1XBP962TML3AH

That one looks good, here is a review of it: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2760hs.htm

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Volguus posted:

What is the general opinion on DELL U3014? They usually have a sale going on it, with as much as $500 off sometimes (from 1500 to 1000, aprox). I am not a fan of the 16:9 ratios and i already have a 2560x1600 monitor from monoprice, but when the dell monitor is on sale, when compared to the monoprice price + shipping and import taxes (i'm in canada), the price of the monitor from monoprice is not that much better.
I've had dell monitors in the past (usually 24'' , 1920x1200 IPS kind) and they've been fine.

It depends on what you need it for, it's really meant for people doing photo, video and print work but it does have a fast response time mode for gaming that apparently works very well. There is a review here if you want to read up on it. I've got a U2415 and it's been stellar so far, very little back light bleed and no dead pixels, really good color, etc. I think I might write a review of it if anyone is interested.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Driving 1440p at ultra settings at 60fps is often beyond the ken of a single GPU. If I turn Witcher 3 all the way up, SLI 980 Ti can't reliably stay above 60 on my 1440p display.

Plus, those $1K 1440 displays tend to be higher than 60 Hz, have Gsync, and so forth. (If you want higher than 60 Hz then 4K is just a non-starter with today's connection technology anyway.)

In this case it's because it's a monitor meant for professional print work and such, only 60Hz but it has a huge color gamut, hardware calibration and so on.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

tyrelhill posted:

Anyone have any opinions on the ASUS VG278HE for gaming? About to buy two...

I would not get TN screens that big, it has good response times but I'd rather get one XB270HU than two of those, higher resolution, much better color, 144Hz with GSync etc...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

What kind of card do I need to reliably drive 1440p high/ultra details at ~60fps in most games? I'm trying to do decide whether I want to bother with 1440p gsync stuff, I might not if it requires a 980 Ti equivalent every 2 years or something.

A 980 Ti will do it easy, but if you are willing to run at high and turn down AA a 970 will manage pretty well.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Odette posted:

I have a single 980 ti and my current 1080p monitor is a joke. Is it worth getting 4K for gaming? I don't mind turning a bunch of settings down.

I assume there aren't any IPS+GSync monitors out, either?

Get an XB270HU, be happy.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

I was thinking a max of $500 CAD. To complicate things, now I'm wondering if I should save a bit more and bump up to 1440p. I'm going to be getting a GTX 980 Ti and from what I read it should be sufficient to run most things at close to max settings/60 fps comfortably at 1440p. I'm putting away about 800/mo to save up and I'm already at $1750, so in a few more months I could get something better.

I'd save and get a XB270HU, it's about the best thing you can pair with a 980 Ti.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

FistEnergy posted:

Bad times. My Dell UltraSharp U2312HM, which I bought 2 years ago on the advice of this very thread, is dying. It turned 2 years old on Monday and it suddenly started bleeding red from the right side of the display. I swapped the DVI cable and saw no improvement. Then I swapped monitors and the problem was gone. It looks like a series of very fine lines which wave to the refresh rate.

http://imgur.com/wudnbuM

Am I correct in assuming that this is a hardware problem and I'm SOL? 2 years isn't a very long life for a nice monitor.

Three year warranty. get that puppy RMAed and probably replaced with something newer.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

WastedJoker posted:

I dunno. It looks like it is detecting it ok.

Browser text looks sharp enough as do most of the OS fonts/text. It's just an issue around administrative tools and install/setup windows where it goes wonky.

You could try a displayport connection to rule out the HDTV possibility. I assume you already configured cleartype and such yes?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

DrDork posted:

Maybe they're hoping that the MG279Q sells really well, and they can use that to pressure NVidia to come down on the prices for the GSync kits. Because, seriously, $100-$200 for what is probably a $5 'board that provides functionality that is 90% covered by a completely free alternative should not be A Thing.

Ehhh, that does not factor in R&D costs and such which is probably the bulk of the cost for Gsync on Nvidia's end. Plus I'm not going to expect them to just sell Gsync hardware and licensing at cost instead of making a profit off of it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

DrDork posted:

Sure, but at the same time, if AMD--a company with a smaller market cap and far more problematic revenue streams--can manage virtually the same thing and effectively give it away, it makes NVidia's proposition a hell of a lot more questionable. Especially when their "add-in board" amounts to 25-33% the total cost of the monitors they're being put it. I'm not saying NVidia isn't allowed to turn a profit, just that what's going on right now looks a hell of a lot like fleecing.

Frankly, if AMD/NVidia's GPU marketshare were switched, we wouldn't even bother talking about GSync. But NVidia's dominant right now and are riding it out for every penny they can.

But here's the thing, we don't really have any idea how difficult or how much it cost to get GSync where it is right now. I hate passing judgment like this because there are so many different ways of doing things that without a fairly detailed account of what actually went into both GSync and Freesync. Some times you end up spending ten times as much to get a lesser result than another group who pursued a different path that ended up being far easier and more cost effective, some times you get something that is pretty good but working out the last bits and pieces so it really works well takes up more resources than everything you've done so far. This casting of AMD as the generous savior of poor gamers from the evil money grubbing NVidia is sort of hilarious, they are both large corporations looking to make as much money as they can, no more and no less.

Lastly, from what I have seen Freesync is still well behind GSync in consistently eliminating tearing.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

uaciaut posted:

Hello recommend me one of these monitors:

DELL U2414H specs

Asus PA238Q specs or it's cheaper cousin
ASUS PB238Q specs (price difference is big on amazon, much smaller where i'm buying from, what gives?)

LG 24MB37PY-B specs

AOC I2470PWQU specs

Acer B246HYLAYMDPR specs

The Dell one is nice from everything I have heard, here's a review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm

Avoid the PA238Q, the PB238Q is a revision of that one that reduced some major quality control issues the PA had. The good PAs were pretty decent so the PB ought to be pretty good too.

Can't find anything on that LG, AOC or Acer ones. :shrug:

Personally I'd go with the Dell but I have been very impressed by my Dell U2415 so I'm probably a bit biased there.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

xthetenth posted:

I think he's saying that the PAs were inconsistent, and the PBs being less so should mean they're up to the standards of the good PAs, which were good.

Correct, the PA models had quality control issues like bad backlight bleed, of course some of them did not have these problems so it was a bit of a lottery whether you got one with or without the problems. They then released the PB models which are consistent in their quality, since the PBs are just a revision to fix the issues the PA models had they are identical specs and feature wise.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

uaciaut posted:

Why are the PA's more expensive then if PB's fix the issues that the PA's had?

The PB model was released later on at a lower price. You can check the Asus site, they specs for both monitors are nearly identical and the only places they vary is in the wording. Also you can't even buy the PA models from most places since they are discontinued.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

rapeface posted:

I used to love Dell because of my old 24" widescreen that I got back in 2005. I splurged and dropped $1500 on the 30" U3011 in 2011, and recently, I've noticed these translucent yellow/brown patches on both. They look almost like the shadow of some internal mounts or something. This guy has something similar on his.

I called tech support, but since it's 6 months out of warranty, I was told I'm poo poo out of luck. Is it reasonable to expect an expensive monitor to develop problems like this in just three years? It really pisses me off that I spent $1500AU on something that's only going to last three years. These problems might have actually been there before hand, but I only noticed it recently with all the white webpages and sitting further back. I haven't been mistreating it or keeping it on all night or anything. I'd advise people stay away from expensive Dell stuff, but I have no idea what I'd go with instead.

From what I have been able to dig up on the subject it's caused by the brackets holding the CCFL tubes that light the monitor yellowing over time due to UV light exposure, unfortunately there is not much you can do about it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

midge posted:

I'm currently using a Asus VH238H on a PowerColor Radeon R9 280X 3GB TurboDuo Video Card. I mostly use the PC for gaming. I don't thik I want to go over 23", I like that size. Is it worth me upping to one of those new fangled resolutions? I'm looking to donate the screen and GPU to a donor build in the near future, so both are on the table for an upgrade.

You could look at 1920x1200 monitors in 23"-25" size, the extra vertical resolution is pretty nice.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

uaciaut posted:

I was recently recommended a VA panel monitor, to be more specific a AMVA+ panel, monitor is the IIyama ProLite XB2483HSU-B1: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iiyama-Prolite-XB2483HSU-B1-LCD-Monitor/dp/B00FABG4R2

As far as i what i could find on VA-monitors, other than the info in the OP, what they seem to suffer most from is ghosting, and as i've said before i'm primarily getting a monitor for gaming, watching movies and browsing, etc.
I want a good general, all-purpose monitor. I've seen some people say that the latest AMVA+ tech fixes most of the older gen's (VA's) problems, but i'm unsure whether that's true or not.

Again my main other choice is the DELL U2414H.
I am also taking other suggestions but if i can find every possible model here.

Looking at this review of the Dell U2414H and compared to the BenQ GW2450HM which is an AMVA+ panel, the Dell comes out looking slightly better in ghosting and motion blur. The big benefit of AMVA is the very high contrast ratios, i.e. deeper blacks and brighter colors.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ranter posted:

Is it common to develop new stuck pixels a few weeks into use? Updated xb270hu trip report: I now have 2 stuck pixels

I've seen it happen before, especially a few years back when IPS was a new thing. I'd RMA it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

MasterBuilder posted:

So I have a update urge and graphics/monitor are looking like the target. The monitor is an LG (TN 1680x1050) from 2008 that I bought so that I could hook up a ps3 to it more than anything else and since then I built a computer with a 1g 7850 hd. Everything runs fine but I recently got a retina mbp so things look pretty lovely in comparison.

I'm looking to spend about a grand CAD all at once or breaking it up over a couple months and spending more. Majority of use will be gaming, dota at the moment but I'll be installing mordor, ground zeros and gta 5 soon.

What is your price range for just the monitor? What size and resolution do you want? What are you planning to connect to the monitor, anything aside from the PC?

Scalding Coffee posted:

This is my first time looking for a 120/144Hz monitor and would like to know how games play differently compared to a 60Hz monitor? I am going to replace my computer, but I don't know how switching from a 60Hz to a 120/144Hz monitor would have on a GPU compared to having a resolution change from 1200p to 1440p.

Are there any recommended monitors with a 2560x1440 resolution running at 120/144Hz or are they just the years old posts in the OP? I am not sure how fast new models of monitors come out.

Thanks to the thread for recommending me this monitor from years ago.

Well, you won't see as much motion blur on a higher refresh rate monitor, objects in motion will be sharper and movement will appear smoother. As for GPUs you want one that is powerful enough to push out frames at the higher refresh rates, if you play low spec games like CS then plenty of video cards can do this, if you play more modern stuff then you need a lot of GPU to get high frame rates, especially at 1440p.

This brings us to GSync and FreeSync, these technologies let the monitor match it's refresh rate to the frame rate of the game you are playing. For instance if the game is getting 96 FPS the monitor will match that with a 96Hz refresh, this prevents the slowdowns that happen when you have vsync enabled and the game falls below the monitors maximum refresh rate and also prevents the screen tearing that happens if you leave vsync off. For GSync you want the Acer XB270HU and a Nvidia video card, for FreeSync and AMD cards the Asus MG279Q is the way to go.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

MasterBuilder posted:

That's the thing I 1000 in the frivolous purchases pile so if I spend 600 on the monitor I have 400 for the graphics card and of course I want something that can drive the screen and make use of the full use of the gpu. Resolution prefer 1440 but I could settle for 1080 and size doesn't matter. Nothing else besides the computer plugged into it.

Maybe a BenQ GW2765HT(review) and an Asus Strix 970? You will have to turn down some settings to get 60 FPS most of the time but it's a pretty good set up if you want 1440p and can't afford an XB270HU monitor.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

the talent deficit posted:

Are the Dell ultrasharps the best value for money 2560x1440 monitors available? I don't really care about refresh or whatever gamers are obsessed with I stare at text all day and find it way less taxing looking at a high dpi monitor.

The BenQ GW2765HT is a good, cheaper alternative, here is a review.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

I'm an amateur photographer, and I need to get a better monitor since it has often happened that the colors are noticeably different between monitors, etc. I use a pretty basic ASUS monitor that although is good for what I have done so far, it is clearly not good enough for my plans as a photographer.
Although I read the OP and saw some recommendations, several of them are from 2011, so I'm guessing the tech has moved one since then. Other than IPS, what else should I be on the look out for? I'm Thinking of something in the 21-25'' category, since I don't need something much larger for what I do.
Since it's a side-job thing, I'm not interested in spending A LOT of money on this, so hopefully less than €300 (I understand the limits of this budget).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For print work you want a wide color gamut and hardware calibration so you can match your monitor to your printer's output. Web work is less demanding but you still need good color accuracy, the Dell U2415(review) might be a good, cheap option for web based work. I have one of these myself and while I don't do photo work I can say that it has great color accuracy and is a really nice monitor overall.

For print work unfortunately I was unable to find anything with hardware calibration and a wide gamut at that budget. Plus that is not even counting that you would need a calibration device to go with the monitor. The cheapest one I could find after looking around a bit was the Dell U2413(review)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Tapedump posted:

Quick sanity check please. I am deliberating over a U2415 or a U2515H. Resolution differences and AR have me with a hard time choosing, but I need to know:

True or false: These displays, each when connected to two different PCs, allow for the changing of inputs in a relatively quick manner that does not involve navigating a couple of levels of menu. Something like "tap to get mini-OSD->tap on certain button->tap on desired input."

Thank you very much. I have to share this display/seat with someone not-so-technical.

I have the U2415 and there is a quick menu for changing inputs, it's press any button->press button for quick input menu->press up or down to select input->confirm as far as I can tell this process is the same for both monitors. The inputs on the U2415 are mini-DP, DP, HDMI-1 and HDMI-2. Other than that I can tell you that I am really pleased with the U2415, the extra vertical resolution is pretty nice and everything looks great on it, text especially looks really nice.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

xthetenth posted:

Oh, the text size doesn't scale up with windows' settings? Pity, it's otherwise a great match. 27" 2560x1440 is likely a good bet then.

The problem is that Windows' scaling is pretty inconsistent and so is scaling in various applications you might want to use, so it's better to just stick to 100% scaling until the industry gets its act together.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

So, just to be sure here, I could avoid this problem by staying away from 4K screens? I'm not sure how necessary the 4K would be for photo editing (probably not at all) and it might save me some unnecessary expense on getting something that I might not even need.

It's all dependent on the resolution and screen size, for 4k/UHD I like 29"+ screens, text is quite readable and the pixel density is good, 27" is ok too but text is a little small for my taste. At 1440p 25"-27" is good, with 25" being a little small but still manageable and 27" being ideal, for 1080p 23"-25" is good, 24" being a sweet spot. But it's also bad to have a big screen with too low of a resolution, for instance you can buy a 1080p 27" monitor but I would not recommend it, the text starts looking like poo poo because the pixel density gets too low. For your needs I'd look at 27" 1440p monitors.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

I'll take this into consideration as well. I'll see what I can come up with tonight and make a shortlist.

You're all super cool for helping so much

Hmmm, looking at the specs of both the U2715H and the P2715Q I'd recommend the P2715Q, the higher resolution is nice as long as you don't mind somewhat small text plus it has a larger color gamut which could be very useful in your photo work. The only caveat would be the question of whether you will also be playing games on this computer, UHD monitors need a very beefy video card to get anything close to acceptable frame rates in most recent games, if you will be gaming too the U2715H will be ok with something like a GTX 970, on the P2715Q I would recommend the GTX 980 Ti, but that card would be ~$650 compared to the 970 at ~$300.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/EAH6850_DC2DIS1GD5/

This is my graphics card, and I'm not sure it would actually work so well on UHD for games. So, with that in mind:

1. Can I use a 4K monitor with such a card, for normal purposes, or will it just not work?
2. Is it possible to play games on a 4K monitor without playing them at 4K?
3. If I have a dual monitor set, one of which is not 4K, can't I just play the games in that one?

EDIT: I know how basic the questions are, sorry!

What Gwaihir said. You can downscale them to 1080p and they will look fine for the most part, just don't try to play them at the monitors native resolution unless you like single digit frame rates.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Jedi425 posted:

Hey Monitor Thread,

So I'm looking for some upgrade options now that I have money again. Right now, I'm running two monitors; this Dell and a tiny-rear end Tyris LCD I bought in 2005, both off a Radeon HD 7850. My tiny monitor (which mostly was used for watching movies/chatting while I did other stuff on the main screen) is dying a painful death as it randomly goes all epileptic on me. The OP is wildly out of date, and looking back over the last few pages makes it clear I have no idea what the hell is going on with monitors these days.

Right now I'm thinking of upgrading the graphics card to a GTX 970 of some sort, to get access to Shadowplay for streaming/recording (as well as just to upgrade in general, it seems like Nvidia is currently leading in the GPU market). I'd like to just buy a new primary monitor and slide the Dell over to replace my seizure machine. About the only things I know for sure I want are:

-VESA mount needed (figure they nearly all have this now, and I'm ready to reclaim my desktop space)
-Good for games/movies, this will be the main monitor I do my occasional work from home on as well as playing games.
-Over 1080p? The Dell I have now is 2048x1152, so I'm not looking to go any smaller than that. I hear people talk about 1440p but I have no idea if that'd be a meaningful upgrade in resolution or just a checkmark on a marketing sheet.
-Some USB3 ports would be nice?

What I don't know is what I'm even looking for nowadays in a monitor. Do I want 1440p? Do I care about GSync/Freesync? Can I even use those with my choice of graphics card? How much would I need to pay to get some or all of these things in a monitor that doesn't suck? I have a pretty decent chunk of cash I can use on this, but if I can get a decent monitor for cheap, so much the better.

Since you want to go with a 970 you would need GSync not FreeSync, the only 1440p IPS monitor with GSync costs $800. You should probably be looking at 27" 1440p IPS or AHVA monitors without GSync, ones to look at would be the BenQ GW2765HT(review) and the Dell U2715H(review)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Looks like there is a deal for the Dell U3415W on newegg for only $800 shipped at the moment if you put in a discount code.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8046953-led...more-newegg-com

Anyone gotten this monitor? Is it a good ultra wide for 800 bucks?

Earlier in the thread someone was saying that it's the best monitor they have ever used: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=354#post448733722

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SteveMcQueen posted:

Ugh, want this so bad but I cannot figure out a way to explain to my wife why a giant monitor showed up on our doorstep. Other than the obvious, anyways.

"Honey, haven't you ever heard of the monitor fairy? What's wrong? Ow! Ow! Not the kidneys!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

Seeing that my card cannot produce a 4K resolution, and that in all honesty I'm not planning to upgrade my card since I simply don't play video games enough to justify it, I thought about going instead to a 27'' 1440 monitor.
Thougts on ASUS MX27AQ ?

It seems to be aimed at prosumers and photo/digital art beginners.
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/MX27AQ/
http://www.reviewstudio.net/2216-asus-designo-mx27aq-monitor-review-a-sleek-subtle-monitor/testing-amp-results
http://latestworldtechnology.com/asus-designo-mx27aq-27-inch-monitor/

Sorry to be so annoying with questions :(

The Dell U2715H is a better option, it's about the same price, the panel is just as good, the stand is much, much better and Dell is so much better than ASUS on RMAs and warranty service that it's not even funny.