Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I'm in pretty much the same boat as a lot of people on here; I ordered a 1070 laptop and want to get something better than the cheapest possible 1080p screen I have right now. I've been looking for a 1440p 144hz monitor that'll work well for Overwatch/in general, and it looks like the Acer XB271HU is pretty much the default recommendation.

e: Realized this was probably a dumb question. Googling more, if I just use a display port to mini display port adapter, will that just work fine for the max refresh rate?

foutre fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Dell S2716DG is a good choice, but you really want to run at 1440p with that since 1080p will look like rear end, probably better to turn down other settings to get the FPS you are looking for instead of turning down the resolution. What video card do you have?

I'm looking at the same thing; I'm going to have a laptop 1070. I was using the rule of thumb that 1070 is generally the 1440p card, but does that still apply when you're going for 144hz? I would definitely turn down textures or whatever if that would help keep it reasonable.

Papercut posted:

Why 27"? I just tried both the Asus VG248QE and the Benq XL2411Z, and 24" is perfect for gaming at 1080p. The Asus had better colors I think, but both are fine for the price.

This is the alternative I was looking at. My hesitation is that a big part of the reason I went for the 1070 was to try out 1440p, but if it would be more feasible to maintain a high enough fps at 1080 then I might just do that.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I just got an Asus ROG Swift and I'm having some weird problems with it. I tried playing Overwatch at 144hz on low settings with the frame rate set to display based and it capped at about 95.

When I turned it to custom of 144, or a cap of 120 and 120hz, there were all these black and white lines/flashes every couple seconds all over the screen, like tearing but just really odd. The same happened when I set it to a cap of 300 as well.

I'm have a 1070, so it seems like there shouldn't be any issues even at 1440p on low maintaining 120/144 fps, but this keeps happening. Is this a problem with the monitor, or just me loving up, or should I be looking elsewhere for the issue?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That sounds really weird. Did you set your screen resolution and refresh rate in the Nvidia control panel? Are you connected via displayport? Did you set the refresh in the monitor's on screen menus?

I set the refresh rate using the little 'turbo button' it has for swapping between refresh rates; I didn't see a different option for that but I also haven't had a monitor that isn't just straight plug and play so I can double check there. I'm using a displayport to minidisplayport cable, that I think should work but I also haven't used it before so maybe that could be a problem as well?

Last off, I did set my screen resolution in the control panel but I didn't set the refresh rate there, just on the monitor so I'll try changing that for sure when I get home tonight and trouble shoot.

penus penus penus posted:

Shouldnt have any issues on ultra either (no resolution scaling). I know this is no help, but I'm sort of dreading moving to gsync 144hz, I dont remember ever a time in my life where I had to worry about monitor configuration lol. Worth it though I'm sure.

My only useful question is does this only happen in overwatch

I haven't gotten a chance to test yet (just had ~30 minutes yesterday) but I'll definitely investigate.

This is also a new laptop, and so far I've only been using it for like R and whatnot so I haven't done anything else graphically intensive (e: although I should add that my other monitor, 4k connected via HDMI, has been fine with it, and I didn't notice any problems on the laptop's screen, but both of those were at 60hz so I'm not sure if that's a meaningful comparison).

I'll dl some games from my Steam library tonight, and change the control panel settings and see if I can make any progress and report back. Thanks for y'all's help, I was just kind of in 'oh poo poo' mode yesterday.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The DP->mDP cable should be fine as long as it's within spec but anything over 10' long is suspect. Make sure that others have tried that cable with 4k@60 or 1440@144 and had it work, unfortunately there are a lot of DP cables that fall outside of spec or are just very low quality.

If all else fails I'd contact your laptop manufacturer, a 1070 equipped laptop should support an external gsync monitor but I have little faith in most laptop manufacturers so if they somehow hosed it all up I would be completely unsurprised.

Good call, it looks like this might be the problem. I didn't really think about which DP -> mDP cable I got, but looking now I haven't actually found any people besides the kind of sketchy Amazon seller vouching for it working at 1440p/144hz.

I changed the control panel settings etc., and it's now fine at 120Hz across the board, but still has the same problem as before at 144Hz in pretty much every game I tried. Ordered a new cable to see if that helps, otherwise I'll contact the manufacturer I think.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I have a 27" PG278Q that I like a lot, paired with the cheapest 4k monitor I could get at microcenter ~5(?) years ago.

It seems kind of silly to pay for a second matching gaming monitor, since I really can only drive one monitor at 1440p 144hz anyway.

I was thinking about getting another 27" 1440p or 4k 60hz monitor with a better panel that I could either just use as a secondary screen or turn into portrait mode for coding. Are there any go to recommendations for pairing like this?

I have also been just using my 1440p screen because the 4k honestly feels kind of bad to use (lovely, dim TN panel), and it's made me think an ultrawide might be a good option as well. That said, I'd rather not spend more than ~$500 on a new monitor, and it seems kinda silly to replace my gaming monitor that's served me v well and is well suited to my graphics card. Has anyone tried the ultrawide for work plusgaming monitor pairing?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I have the Asus MB169C+, which is a 15" IPS that uses USB-C for power and as the video hook-up (one cable). If the switch can the Switch use USB-C instead of HDMI as a video out a USB-C monitor (although not this one, for some reason it's $100 more than it was a year ago) could be a good option -- although it will drain the Switch battery pretty quickly.

Otherwise, it's really nice to only have to bring the cable that packs into the monitor case. I've found it pretty easy to just carry around, and in general would recommend getting one of these.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Re: ultrawide monitors, are there any good options with 1440p and ~80-100 Hz for under $600? I don't really care about G-Sync, this would mostly be used for work with occasional gaming. I've found a whole bunch of other ones with very mixed reviews.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Looking for a slightly less expensive ultrawide. There's a SAMSUNG 34 CF791 on Rakuten for $580. It checks the main boxes I was looking for: 3440*1440
and 100 Hz. It's a VA not IPS panel though, and being sold via Rakuten, which I'm not sure on. Does anyone have thoughts on this, as well as if it's worth waiting for an IPS monitor instead?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

NOP sled fred posted:

Other option is the Massdrop Vast for $550. Its also VA not IPS though. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-vast-curved-gaming-monitor

Ooh, thanks for the link. I didn't realize that it was just for sale, I thought I'd have to wait the normal amount of time. I think I trust Massdrop's returns over Rakuten, I think ill try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

E: beaten, but seconding the above!

Afraid I don't know much about availability in Canada or that particular monitor, but they're shouldn't be any text readability problems. At higher resolutions you can just add scaling of you need too, but definitely being able to choose your viewing distance makes a big difference.

I think people will probably tell you to either look at 1440p in 27 inch or just stick with a smaller size.

The argument for staying smaller at 1080p is that the pixel density will be higher on a smaller screen, so it will be sharper and effectively be pretty similar in terms of space to work with.

Imo 27 inch regardless of the resolution is still good for stuff like console gaming, especially if you're going to end up sitting further back or need a couple people to fit around it for splitscreen.

Personally, I'd prioritize IPS, then resolution/refresh and size. The only downside of IPS (except if youre going for super high refresh gaming) is that it will make TN monitors next to it look really bad.

If you're comfortable with refurb (not sure how best buy is), and combining your budget for both screens there's an Acer XB271HU at best buy Canada for 340 (can't find link on mobile, but if you search 'XB271HU bmiprz on their website it should come up).

That's IPS/1440p/144 Hz/27 inch which kind of checks a the boxes, and has decent height adjustment/a speaker.

If the condition is good, that's a v solid price for it - fewer Canadian dollars than an equivalent one is in USD, actually, and it's a solid monitor imo. I bought an earlier model refurb and like it a lot.