Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I was thinking about buying the ASUS VP247H-P gaming monitor today. Does anyone know how it fares? (I'm not real familiar with gaming monitors)

Question: Can you turn the quick refresh rate function on-and-off? For some games, I think it'd be really nice for some games, but for other games and video, I find that the quick refresh rate makes motion look 'off'.

I'm using a NVIDIA GTX 970 and Intel i7-4790K, if that's relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I was thinking about getting a second monitor for a dual monitor setup, but I wanted to ask about what monitor I should get, and if my setup will support it.

The monitor I currently use is an ASUS VP247 (1920x1080@60Hz, I think 23.6 inches). that I bought a few years back. I thought about buying a straight duplicate, but I imagine they're no longer available. The first result on Amazon I get when searching for 'asus vp247' is the ASUS VP278QG 27”, but some of the reviews cite issues with various things like the stand, color settings, backlight bleed, etc.

In the related results, I saw a listing for a monitor from Sceptre, but I don't know anything about that brand, and it has a higher refresh rate (75Hz), so I don't know if that causes any issues, or if having monitors from two different brands causes conflicts.

In terms of like hardware, I've got an Intel Core i7 4790K, 16GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (EVGA). From a quick search online (because I'm too lazy to pull the computer out and check behind it) the cards looks to have two HDMI ports.

Is there a specific monitor I should look towards getting? Would I just need an extra HDMI cord to connect the second monitor, or do I need to buy something more specific? (I've done a dual monitor setup before, but it was a long time ago, and I think it was on two different connections.)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Having monitors of two different brands and two different refresh rates should generally not cause any serious issues. Going dual monitor is quite easy these days, especially over HDMI (DisplayPort can be a bit temperamental at times). You plug them in, and they're supposed to just work. Different monitor models may be calibrated from the factory differently, and you'll want to try to match their color temperatures if nothing else (this can sometimes be a pain...). Different refresh rates also usually works fine.

As for which monitor to buy, that's a complicated question. I recommend referencing RTINGS, Hardware Unboxed, and TFT Central as good sources for monitor reviews. They all have their own testing methodology (so their results shouldn't be cross-compared), but they're all good, well-researched and consistently applied methodologies that give you a pretty good idea of the quality of each monitor. Monitor marketing is full of BS and outright lies, and these sites take none of these companies at their word unlike a lot of other monitor reviewers I've seen.

The first thing you should do is identify the resolution of monitor you want to buy. This is where things get a little bit tricky because your GTX 1070 can't do great 1440p in a lot of games, and it doesn't do upscaling very well. But also, a 1080p monitor purchase isn't very forward-facing since 1080p is gradually going the way of the dodo. Getting a second 1080p monitor that has a decent refresh rate like the AOC 24G2 and using that as your new gaming monitor, and then buying another monitor down the road whenever you get a new GPU is one option. The alternative is to get a higher resolution monitor right now (Like the M27Q or MSI G273QF, or Viewonic VX2758 for a somewhat cheaper option), and then use your existing 1080p monitor as your main gaming display until you next upgrade your GPU, at which point you can move over to your 1440p monitor. The 1070 can also do some older games and some less demanding games at 1440p too. The main concerns there would be that 1) your 1070 is probably good for higher frame rates than 60 at 1080p in a lot of games and you can't take advantage of that with a 60hz display, and 2) this is just psychological, but it may be a bit of a bummer going between a nice 27" 1440p display and a 24" 1080p display. YMMV on that, though. Buying a 1440p monitor right now is what I'd do, but 1080p is the cheaper option right now, and you don't have to worry about having mismatched monitor sizes and resolutions (generally not a problem, but it may bother you)

K8.0 posted:

It's worth noting that if you are tight on money, right now is an exceptionally bad time to be buying a second monitor. 24" 1080p monitors should be available in the $110 range, but right now they're at least 50% over that. I would either find a good deal on something used, live without a second monitor, or manage to find the budget for something better. It's ridiculous to pay $170+ for 24" 1080p 60hz IPS when 27" 1440p 144hz Freesync IPS starts at $250.

I guess to give a bit more context, my birthday's coming up next month, and my family asked me what I'd like. I was struggling to come up with something until someone mentioned dual monitors in another thread. So it's not so much something I'm buying directly myself, but rather something someone else will buy.

I don't think cost is too big of an issue. I wouldn't want some super-premium monitor that's like $900; monitor prices might not be great right now, but then prices for anything right now are bad. As far as my system not being up to snuff for 1440p gaming, I had thought about upgrading to a new system a while ago, but until the supply chain issue is resolved, that's far more out of the question versus getting a new monitor. I'm not ruling out a 1440p monitor, though.

We've got a membership with Costco, and the catalog we got a week or so ago has some monitors listed. I can't give model numbers or anything, since they're not listed, but there's:

• A Samsung 32" 4K Curved Monitor for $329.99
  • A LG UltraGear 32" QHD Gaming Monitor (with NVIDIA G-Sync, 165Hz refresh, and 1ms motion blur reduction) for $249.99
  • A LG 32" QHD IPS Monitor (with 75Hz Refresh) for $199.99
  • A MSI Optix 27" FHS IPS Gaming Monitor (with NVIDIA G-Sync, 165Hz refresh, and 1ms Fast Response Time) for $169.99 (might be the same as, or similar to the G273QF, but again, I can't view more information on it)
  • A Samsung 32" FHD Curved Monitor (75Hz refresh rate with AMD FreeSync Game Mode) for $199.99
  • A Samsung 27" FHD Curved Monitor (60Hz refresh rate with FreeSync tech) for $159.99

Out of the bunch, the MSI one sounds like a good deal, assuming it has the same/similar specs as the G273QF. I dunno what kind of benefit you get with curved monitors, though I thought curved monitors ran for a lot more (maybe they've come down in price?)

Something to note is that these are time exclusive deals, so they won't be available for purchase until specific dates in November (Ex. the Samsung 32" 4K Curved is listed for November 1-14, whereas the LG UltraGear is listed for November 15-29)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 23, 2021

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Anyway... If the shopping needs to be done locally, and by someone else giving you a gift, then I guess what I'd ask for is a flat-panel IPS that does at least 165Hz.

Oh, it doesn't. Finding one online through Amazon or whatever would work fine. The Costco ones I put forth because I thought the prices were good. Getting a specific model number or link to a product page would make things easier, and it would be better to give them something they can get sooner rather than later.

As far as performance hitches go, I figured I could toggle to just my old monitor if was running something more intensive. Someone mentioned Display Fusion, which I've not used, but I've kept in mind if I ever got a second monitor and needed to toggle things.

I did a search on Amazon for 'ips 165hz monitor' and found the MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD. I found it on RTINGS, and they gave it pretty high marks. Would that be a good one to go with?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

You don't need any special software for what you want. Most modern games have an option in the settings for which monitor they're displayed on. Though not all... *cough* Flight Simulator. For those that don't, they generally run on your primary display, which is a setting you can change in the windows display settings quite easily.

The one you linked is a good one, though it's not exactly the same as the monitor you saw on RTINGS. The one RTINGS reviewed is the quantum dot variant that has a wider color gamut. This one will perform identically in most aspects, but will have a narrower color gamut. This doesn't matter for 99.9% of content since both still covers the full sRGB gamut. I can't find any clear differences between this non-QD version and the G273QF ($310) I mentioned earlier aside from the G273QF having a worse stand that isn't height adjustable. The Gigabyte M27Q is $300, has slightly worse response times (won't be noticeable to most people), a wider color gamut than the G273QF (again, not relevant for most content, but it may be nice to have), and a flaw in the form of BGR subpixels that will make text appear a bit fuzzier in programs that do custom text anti aliasing without using ClearType (Chrome is one, I think?). And an adjustable stand. These would be my picks for mid-budget 1440p monitors.

I think I'd either go with the MSI G273QF, or the non-QD MAG274QRF. On Amazon, there's only like a $10 price difference between the Gigabyte M27Q and the MSI G273QF, and the BGR subpixel flaw you describe with the Gigabyte is a mark against it for me, since it sound like it makes some text harder to read.

Of the two MSI monitors, I'm leaning more towards the MAG274QRF, since it looks like it would fit on my desk better (the G273QF has those legs that stick out to the side, which I imagine would make it awkward when trying to place the two monitors close together) and the tilt/rotate adjustment would help with angling where I can see it properly. RTINGS doesn't seem to have a review for the non-QD monitor, but on Amazon, the QD variant is $200 more ($569), and based on what you said, the lack of QD isn't too noticeable.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Running a 1440p monitor off a 1070 I think would be doable, with some caveats. I ran my current 27" 1440p 144hz monitor off a 1060 6GB briefly before deciding I needed to upgrade my GPU, but I had just built a new system and really wanted my graphics performance to be more in line with the rest of my machine.

I could run modern titles at an acceptable framerate on the 1060, but it required dialing quality settings down in-game. The 1070 should provide more headroom than that, but still likely require putting more stuff at medium or whatever. Had I been running a dual-monitor setup I would've turned off the second monitor, which was my practice on my old less-powerful system where I did run dual monitors. Personally the 27" at 1440p is enough screen real estate I don't feel the need to run dual-monitors, but I'm also used to alt-tabbing out of a game if I need to look up a walkthrough or something.

Yeah, it's the sort of thing where you have to experiment with what works well and what doesn't. If I try running something on the 1440p and the performance suffers, I can either turn down the settings or toggle over exclusively to the 1080p to play it.

Eventually, if/when things eventually improve, and buying/building a computer becomes more viable, I can upgrade to a more powerful system and run games on a 1440p with ease.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So good news: I got the MSI 274QRF, and after a bit of difficulty, I got it set up. I screwed up in that my video card didn't actually have two HDMI ports. However, it did have a DisplayPort, uh port, and it came with a cable for such, so I was able to plug it in that way (although the cables they include with the package are really drat short :argh:). As soon as I booted the computer up, it recognized the monitor, and I have a dual-monitor setup without having to do anything. :toot:

Bad(ish) news: unfortunately, I quickly realized that because of how I plugged the monitors in, the MSI is identified as Display 1, and my old monitor (the ASUS VP247) is ID'd as Display 2. This is separate from which display is the main display; from what I read, the order in which you plug in the monitors determines the ID, and I don't think it's possible to reorder them. I have to test it, but I imagine some games/applications might start on the MSI, and I want to keep some stuff to the ASUS, since some more graphically intensive stuff won't run as well at QHD. Only two things I've tried are GZDoom and Mafia: Definitive Edition. Mafia:DE starts on the ASUS, but GZDoom automatically defaults to the MSI. I would imagine that (depending on what mods I'm running) GZDoom won't take a performance hit in most cases, but the only way to get it to change monitors is via a console command/.ini value (which is annoying, but easily doable). I don't know if there's another way to change the monitor IDs, so I thought I'd ask to see if there's maybe a way to do it with Display Fusion or something.

Disappointing news: I realized upon setting up the monitor that it could rotate 90°, and so I got excited because I thought it would work well if I could set up vertical shooters. Unfortunately, because my desk has a shelf above where the shelf where the monitors sit, I can't tilt it 90° :smith: (unless I pull it forward and let part of the base hang off the shelf.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Most games that don't let you pick the monitor you want it displayed on will launch on your primary display, which is something you can configure in the Windows display settings. If you're planning on using both for gaming, you may have to change that option depending on the game.

Until I can upgrade to a more powerful system, I'll probably be sticking to the ASUS (although I don't plan on upgrading until the price of PC parts normalize, and who knows when that will be). I have the ASUS set as the main display via the Display Options in Windows, so everything should launch on that monitor. If not, I imagine figuring out how to switch them won't be too big of an issue.

Something that a family member pointer out when I was trying to get the cables figured out; they said that the HDMI cable that came packed with the MSI had a filter on it (I think in reference to the barrels located by each of the plugs, though I'm not sure). Does it make any difference using a HDMI cable with a filter or not? I've never heard of HDMI filters before now, so I don't know if they were maybe mistaking it with something else.