Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hello monitor thread, I'm torn and need some advice, please.

I'm coming from a 22 inch Samsung 226bw. It's Tn, 60hz, 2ms, and 1680x1050 resolution. I sit close to it (small desk, small crappy apartment), and so can't really go above 24 inch before I start to not see the entire screen.

My main usage is multiplayer FPS games like Battlefield.

Getting a 24inch 144hz 1ms freesync monitor round my parts is basically impossible at the moment for some reason. I can, however, get an LG IPS 24" 1080p 75hz 5ms with freesync. It's a Neoblade 1 (?) IPS panel I think?

Will I notice any difference going from 2ms response time to 5ms response time (more blurriness)?

Would it be more worth it (since monitors last a looooong time) to wait for 144hz 1ms freesync monitors to become available here?

I'll be gaming on a 7970 until it croaks or Vega, and that doesn't even support freesync, but I figure since the monitor lasts so long, I'll choose to go freesync or gsync now rather than later, and the gysnc tax is not appealing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

What is it like if you have a 4k monitor but game at 1080p res? Can someone explain the downsides of doing so in terms of graphical fidelity, as compared to a 1080p native res monitor?

Edit: At a not-insane monitor size. Let's call it under 30 inches.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

dissss posted:

I'm gaming at 1080p on a 27" 4k monitor and to me it looks just fine - sure small text is soft/blurry looking but that's fairly rare in games and everything else looks fine.

Cheers, that's really helpful. I couldn't find any comparison images online and was wondering specifically about blur.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I'm kind of annoyed that there is not a single monitor on the market that is IPS and 144hz and 1080p and G-Sync. There are TN monitors at that resolution, and really pricey 1440p ones that are IPS, but having experienced either extreme for myself I'd really rather have 1080p with a mega high refresh rate than the reverse.

I feel the same way, and on top of that, the 1080p tn g-sync panels are so overpriced that it's not much of a jump to go to the 144hz ips 1440p 27 inch panels with g-sync. Considering that the 27 incher ips' are all around 700 bucks USD, it's just... eugh.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Ugh, this is so frustrating. I want a 24" 1080p IPS, 1ms or really really low response time, with 60 or 144Hz refresh rate. Does this not exist?

e: Weird I just found this. This seems to work, any problems y'all see? It says "WLED/TN" but I guess I can live without the IPS?

You can get a 1080p LG IPS display (23MP68VQ) at 75hz & 5ms with a Freesync range of 40~75, which means no LFC, but even with an RX480 you're not going to go below 40 fps at this resolution.

Once thing I've heard is that there is slight ghosting.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Ended up ordering one that just came in today. I love it so far, also way easier to set up and far less bulky than the Acer XB271hu.

How do you mean bulky? I'm currently deciding between them two but the PG is about 200 dollars more expensive around my parts.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

CheetoRamen posted:

That's only half the announcement, baby!
Dell S2417DG
1440p 23.8" TN
165 Hz g-sync
Small bezel

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10549/dell-releases-s2417dg-and-se2717h-monitors-new-gaming-displays-with-gsync-and-freesync
It seems to not be totally officially 'announced' yet. Only appeared on their website without fanfare yet.

Ho ho ho now that looks like an appealing monitor for deskspace-limited people. I wonder if the stand is VESA compatible.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I really wish someone would make a 24inch 1080p IPS 144hz monitor with G/Freesync. Why are all the 144hz IPS panels in the 27-inchers? Is it a physical limitation or are manufacturers just not cottoning on to the fact that midrange gamers need new monitors, too, and also appreciate good colours?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Bugger. I feared as much. It's such a nice aspect ratio, and I don't need anything bigger, so a bells and whistles 1200p screen would be perfect for me.

It's not what you want, but Dell have a 24 inch 1440p TN panel w/ gsync.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was thinking about that too, except the current state of the art Radeon is so weak

And nearly impossible to buy at a decent price.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Roughly how far back do you guys sit from a 34 inch ultrawide? I've been considering a 29 inch one but the lack of height doesn't seem like much fun.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Well I'm only about 2 feet, max, from my monitor (more like 1.8 i'd guess) and I'm on a 24 inch. I'm just worried it'll stretch out too far to the sides if I get a 34 inch ultrawide. I suppose I could try getting a table-clamp vesa mount so that the huge stands don't push it 8 inches out from the wall.

Wall mounting is out of the equation.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

I sit about 2' back myself.

My opinion is that 29" is too short for ultrawide - 34" is great but it's essentially the same height as your usual 27" but with more real estate on the sides. For productivity use, the benefits are obvious, and with gaming it fills in the peripheral vision quite nicely.

With 29" UWD, you're sacrificing some of that height and it's going to make you feel cramped, almost. If price is an issue you'd probably be better off getting a nice 27" 16:9, with adaptive sync, maybe. (Of course with less pixels to push you're also going to get better framerates and that.)

Yeah a 29 inch is the same height as a 24 inch, but when I cut out a sheet of paper to try and mimic it, I quickly realized I'd feel 'squashed' all the time where I don't have that issue from the 24 16:10 monitor I use.

A 27 inch 16:9 is a nice middle ground, I'm sure, but since a monitor is something I'm going to keep for ages, and I'm a true first-world-problem kinda guy and will hem and haw over this purchase likely for months.

Now if only I could rent a monitor and put it up on my desk to I can see how it looks. Or borrow one. I need to find a friend with an ultrawide who'd let me take it on a field trip.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Kintamarama posted:

Thank you for your input, you have all been very helpful. I'm gonna keep saving for now and wait for an eBay Australia 15%/20% off campaign. They have them fairly regularly. I'll probably just go for whichever happens to be available from a participating store.

Got the 1070 in a 20% off campaign just a couple of weeks ago, so there's my tip for fellow Aussies, you can get some good tech deals during eBay Au's quarterly campaigns.

I mean, it was cheaper for a while just to buy a bloody 1070 on an American website and have it shipped over!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Does anyone here sit less than 3 feet from their monitor and use a 29 inch ultrawide? If so, how's the experience?

I'm likely going to be going from a 22-inch 16:10 which is about 11.8 inches high, and is at the limit of the height I'd like the monitor. A 29 inch ultrawide is a similar height, and I'm looking at the 29UC88 from LG which is a 75hz IPS, freesync, and curved. My desk is very narrow as I live in a tiny flat, and I'm at about 2.5 feet from the screen, hence looking at the curved option.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Anybody have any experience with / thoughts on the Dell S2417DG?

24" 1440p 144hz/165hz
G-Sync
TN panel

All for what looks like a really reasonable price*. What's the catch?

*Cheaper than chief-competitor, Asus ROG PG248Q which is a 1080p 144hz TN G-Sync display but overclockable to 180hz.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 16, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Refresh rate no, but turning a 1440p to 1080p looks like rear end.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Are there any good high refresh 24" (or possibly smaller) IPS screens that have g-sync or the kind of freesync that will work with a GTX1080 and not have a garbo range?

27 is too big for my tiny desk in my tiny shoebox and those 2 things aren't changing anytime soon.

I was looking at those fancy 24.5" monitors that go up to 240hz (such as the Alienware and the MSI MAG) but 1) they're TN and I'd prefer the better colors of IPS; and 2) I don't expect to be pushing frames that high so what's the point if I'm just going to sync it and time refresh rate to fps anyway? 144hz or heck even 120hz seems fine in that regard. I'd be coming from 60hz.

I play multiplayer FPS (eg BFV, Titanfall 2) but I don't do any super compy poo poo like CSGO at 500fps.

E: man the only high refresh monitors I can find sub 24" is that Asus ROG 17" portable one. A 22" would be ideal actually, same size as my old monitor.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 12, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

K8.0 posted:

There are a bunch of 24" 1080p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors. They can often be had in the $160-170 range. AOC 24G2, Asus VP249QGR, Acer VG240Y Pbiip, Pixio PX247, maybe some others.

Thank you! I'll definitely look into these. Do you know off the top of your head if there's a consensus 'best' or if they're all just using the same panel or?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I finally made the upgrade to high refresh rate (replaced an old 1680x1050 cheapo tn monitor). I'm not sure that I'm "feeling" it in games that much, I think I'll have to game a little more and try some fast-paced games rather than like Divinity OS2 (re-downloading Titanfall 2 atm) but woah, scrolling website text is amazing.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Can a camera smartphone app that measures white balance of the item in focus (such as the standard pro mode samsung galaxy camera app) accurately measure white balance of a monitor?

I just tested it on my 4k tv showing a blank white page from up close and far away, and the ranges differed from 6800k to 7000k.

Thanks.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Got a family member's laptop with a 1650 to play around with. Thought I'd finally try out this freesync thing... but no DP port. :negative:

Even if it had a display port, your particular laptop model might have optimus and the dGPU output wired up through the intel iGPU which might affect whether you can use free/gsync on an external monitor.

I know on my laptop (Aero 15), even though it has a 1060, I can't get g-sync out to my g-sync compatible monitor because the singal's being sent over the HD620 on my 7700HQ and then out of the mini display port due to optimus.

Some models may have video output wired up directly to the dgpu but then I'm not sure how optimus works if you have an external screen plugged in.

The new advanced optimus solves this IIRC as it mimics mux switch funtionality (ie direct switching between igpu and dgpu to both the internal monitor and external) but I don't think a low end sku with a 1650 is going to have that.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Dang I don't know how you all do it. I'm on a 24.5" on a desk not even 2 feet deep and I sit outstretched arm plus a couple of inches, don't have t-rex arms, and sometimes I still feel it's too big, especially when playing fast shooters; I can't really see the whole screen at once. For work though I can totally see how 27 would be good. Even right now I'm loving the upgrade from either a 20" 1680x1050 or my 15" laptop monitor for doing things side-by-side.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

As a new high refresh haver, I would say I definitely notice high refresh more in day-to-day computing (like browsing, just general windows and office poo poo) than I do in gaming. I can notice it in gaming the most in terms of responsiveness to my inputs, but I kind of have to focus on it to consciously 'notice' it, whereas scrolling a website is still pretty mind blowing for me as I regularly switch back to a 60hz screen throughout the day.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Is there any way I can test (with software) what overshoot mode I should be using with games that have different FPS'? Things like overshoot or g2g or latency stuff.

Basically if I have 3 overdrive modes, and play games within 3 fps ranges (60, 90, 144) is there a way I can see which is best for which? Or is that strictly pro-tier tools and I should go scouring for reviews?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I move between a 60hz and 240hz regularly throughout the day and I will say that I rarely notice going to the 60hz screen, but I always notice going back to the 240hz screen, if that makes sense, for desktop stuff (non-gaming).

More like a "oh wow nice this again" each time I go back to fast, rather than a "oh poo poo not this again" each time I go back to slow.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Pretty sure the panels in the 27dg and 24dg were regarded as the absolute best TN panels.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The RTings review for the Innocn 27 M2V mentions high input lag for 60hz 'signals' -- what does this mean? Does this mean that if you run VRR, and you're only able to get your game to run at 65fps, that you'll experience this input lag because the monitor is syncing to 65hz? Or does a 60hz 'signal' mean something different?

Thanks!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

How does 1080p to 4k upscaled using third party program, something like Lossless Scaling, look on a 27" 4k monitor? Lossless Scaling offers LS1, FSR, and integer scaling options, but I'm not sure which would be best.

I'm going to be picking up the Innocn 27M2V for about 620 which seems like a good deal, but only have a 3080 10gb, so conceivably there is going to be a game that my card can't handle at 4k but that doesn't have FSR or DLSS built in.

I'm hoping my assumption is correct that due to 4k being divisible to 1080p, and the fact that PPI is so high at 27" 4k, that it won't look like a gross smudgy mess.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks - I was thinking 1080p in particular just because it perfectly divides into 4k so I'm assuming that with any scaling algo be it integer or FSR it'll just look better than 1440p? Not sure on that one.

I already own Lossless Scaling for a GPD Win Max 2, so I just mentioned it as an option. I guess I'm just wondering what the best looking upscaled is going to be on a game without FSR/DLSS built in: 1080p integer scaling or a something like 1440p upscaled via Lossless Scaling or simple resolution slider in the game settings,

E: and my question has been answered!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

On a 60hz monitor (4k tv) is there any point to setting it to say 24hz or 48hz refresh rate when watching 24fps films? (The tv is plugged into the computer.)

I mean in a theoretical sense as I understand this is something that people probably won't notice. My first instinct is to think that there is no difference because all 24 frames per second of the film are still being shown as the monitor's refresh rate is exceeding 24 frames, and since there is no downtime between refreshes (?) you 'miss' nothing, but I'm not really sure how this all works.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 12, 2023

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks for the explanations. I've personally noticed some judder on panning shots over landscapes before, but I've never known the reason, if it was a bad video, the frame pacing, etc. I just did a test and set my tv to 24hz but actually got something like horizontal tearing on the video using an app called Potplayer. My tv doesn't seem to have a 48hz mode but I'm wondering if I can add it via a custom resolution in nvidia cp.

I guess this is a whole new rabbit hole to go down now that I know about it lol

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Llamadeus posted:

One less-used option if you want better frame pacing on a 60 Hz display that actually can't do 24 Hz is interpolation or "smooth motion" via mpv or madvr: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/Interpolation - instead of the TV/frame generation method you simply blend together two frames on every fifth frame for equal coverage. It's noticably blurrier but also definitely smoother. And gets really blurry if you do 25 into 60 because the ratio isn't as simple.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

24hz is too low for a lot of displays to do well. I think there's issues with some TFTs if they don't refresh fast enough. Since MPV was brought up, this post gives instructions on how to get perfect frame pacing with it as long as you use a clean integer factor on the refresh rate (e.g. 48hz for 24 fps video).

I assume you can add 48hz via a custom resolution, but I'm not sure how your TV will handle it.

Thanks for posting these resources, I'm definitely gonna give it a try with a 48hz custom res and see if it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I got the 27M2V (mini led 4k 165hz, though only 144hz with vrr on an nvidia card for some reason??) recently and am really enjoying it. I don't mind the silver bezel at all in terms of strictly the color, though be warned it feels cheap because it's all plastic. Build quality is definitely a far cry from premium but the panel itself looks gorgeous and I love the local dimming feature to play with SDR games, and with full hdr games (ie hdr + local dimming) it looks great. I don't have any experience with HDR and OLED, so maybe it looks garbage to true connoisseurs.

The primary concern with this model from a relatively small brand is going to be warranty experience or what to do with a DOA. I'm not in a place where I can get no questions asked returns like you can with Amazon in the US, for example, so that was a major worry point for me as any shop I could buy it from locally has a 3 dead pixel rule, and those 3 dead pixels must be at least 1.5cm apart from each other (lol). So a single cluster of 3, for instance, does not qualify for a return.

I did get exactly 3 dead pixels in 1 cluster (all adjacent to each other in a line), but they are in the far bottom right corner of the panel right nearby the bezel. Annoying, to be sure, but 100% unnoticeable in any of my day to day and I haven't thought about it at all since the day I got it and today. Still sucks, but I have to live with the consumer protection standards of where I live, which are not particularly robust.

So, yeah, beware I suppose? I don't know how dead pixel statistics are across brands and well known ones versus smaller ones.

Though overall I am very impressed with the screen and love the way it looks when watching HDR content or playing games. 4k at 27" in particular makes for great clarity, especially with text. The colors seem a little warm out of the box to me, but YMMV there.

E: During all my reddit trawling for information on the 27M2V, the Red Magic came up and supposedly they are using the same panel.