Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I would imagine people would benefit from that in a more productive sense, with how Windows lets you snap programs to each side. You could have two nearly full-size programs side by side.

There are better displays for the money, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

The Lord Bude posted:

Huge visible pixels, blurry text - It's poo poo.

The Lord Bude posted:

I want to gouge my eyes out every time I look at his screen up close.

I don't want to be "that guy," but it probably looks better if you're looking at the screen from the intended distance.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

The Lord Bude posted:

I was specifically responding to a guy who had a TV on his desk. In my Original post, I did make a point of saying that it would be fine IF the intention was to use the TV from a TV appropriate viewing distance. (Although TV screens really aren't optimised for text and it still wouldn't be as good for non gaming/media use)

Sure, but you're overreacting, like, a lot. If it makes you want to gouge your eyes out you might want to seek another activity that doesn't drive you to self-harm. There seem to be a lot of people who don't have issues with TVs as their primary display. Yeah, we all know TVs are less ideal for text and a lot of them have input lag like it's nobody's business, but 32" at 1080p probably isn't terrible. Yeah, 1440p will look better, but 1440 displays that aren't those Korean monitors are very expensive - much more expensive than a similar sized 1080p monitor or TV. (And I don't think the Korean monitors are built to last, personally.)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Kind of a weird question. I have a Dark Matter by Monoprice 34" ultrawide monitor. Long story short, bought it in October, stopped displaying anything this morning, did all of the troubleshooting I can and the TLDR is that it's dead, can't even bring up the OSD. Backlight turns on but the display remains black.

Of course I reached out to Monoprice and set up an RMA... but the box for this monitor was huge. I certainly didn't have room to store it in my house anywhere, so I pitched it pretty quick.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to mail a big ol' curved ultrawide monitor without the original box? I have a big roll of the anti-static bubble wrap, and that's about it. I'd think about using something like a small TV box, but with the monitor being curved I don't know if that will work out great.

Ignore that question, I ended up asking Monoprice the same thing. They are just going to ship me the replacement first so I can send the defective one back. :toot:

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 2, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Vintersorg posted:

Do monitor arms need to be offset a bit for ultrawides? I can't find proper information on this but most pictures have it off to the right or left from center.

Probably just a consequence of the way it's mounted combined with the size of the monitor. As long as the arm is rated for the size and weight of the ultrawide don't worry about it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jack B Nimble posted:

Also, can I natively run two monitors off of a single Nvidia 1660? Or do I need to use a USB port? I think all my USB ports may be in use, but I can probably get around that.

That depends on the form factor of the 1660. Kinda getting the vibe you're on a laptop, so you might be limited to whatever options the manufacturer left you. In which case, you can use something like DisplayLink to drive a display over USB and that's mostly fine in my experience.

Otherwise, what desktop 1660 only has one output port?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's a desktop, sorry if that was dumb, I just don't have the video card in front of me to look at it, if they all have two HDMI ports then great.

Eh, in my experience most of the ports on newer cards are DisplayPort ports. I'd bet it's probably 1x HDMI and 3x DP.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Agree with Vintersorg, here's a comparison of a 32" 16:9 versus a 34" 21:9 I shamelessly stole off of some website. Not sure it would be a drastic difference honestly.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kimcicle posted:

So you don't have any recommendations other than some vague hand waving of "get whatever has good reviews". Also that monitor is almost double the price of the one I listed. Thanks for zero help!

What do you mean double? The LG he specifically recommended is $560.99 on Amazon.ca and the one you linked is $499.99 Canadian dollars.

Maybe you should have specified your budget instead of vaguely stating "Costco has a sale." Because if you can snag that ultrawide for $250 then that's probably a great deal and you should do it.

I don't know what panel is in that ultrawide screen, but I am perfectly happy with the Samsung panel in my Monoprice 34" 1440p ultrawide.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 30, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kimcicle posted:

The ultrawide is currently $299 USD, and the one that was linked is showing $550 USD. Of course I check it again right now and it's $499, so not quite double.

I guess my budget was implied when I linked a $300 monitor that I'd like to spend around $300, but whatever.

Well, I mean, in all fairness the price of a Samsung ultrawide on Samsung.com would probably not reflect the price of a Samsung ultrawide at a Costco warehouse. :v:

Unless I've grossly misunderstood what you've said which is possible.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rinkles posted:

I have a glass top on my desk (about a quarter of an inch thick), would that make a monitor mount with a clamp a bad idea? This would be for a single 27" monitor. I'd like to be able to rotate the M27Q.

If anyone has specific model recommendations, please share them. I've never used a custom stand.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, but maybe if glass is a worry, you can try adding a little board to the underside of the desk and clamp to that? So that the top part clamps to the glass, and the bottom part clamps to the board, which should spread out the weight such that the glass shouldn't be a worry anymore.

I've done this with cheap MDF desks anyway.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Wasn't the Deep Sleep thing actually a correct implementation of the specification or something? I feel like I read about that recently - maybe even in this very thread - and that's how I understood it at the time.

Not to say that it isn't a silly implementation anyway, obviously the old behavior wasn't rubbing anyone the wrong way.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Unfortunately my replacement Monoprice Dark Matter 34" ultrawide has developed a new defect after two months. Weird horizonal line distorting the image and a short pink line.

Even worse, they're discontinued! They can't even ship me a new replacement.

Bad luck on my part but I guess I'm not buying a Monoprice anymore. Though we bought two back in October, one for me and one for my wife and hers is fine. I wonder if my PC is cursed, but I used the included DisplayPort cable, then a spare, and everything else I could think of... :sigh:

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 11, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
They have another monitor model of the same size, but it's 100hz with a 120hz OC option. A bit of a downgrade, but I told the support guy I'm okay with that so long as I'm refunded the difference between the two models.

Otherwise... guess I'm in the market for another 34" 3440x1440 ultrawide.

Think this thing might be dying faster than I originally thought unfortunately, now the backlight is starting to flicker.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Shipon posted:

If you're willing to pony up for higher quality, the 34GP83A has served me just fine since i bought it last thanksgiving. it's like $800 though

I mean yeah, I cheaped out and look where it got me :v: had to learn that one the hard way.

That does look nice though. Will probably just pick that up if worst comes to worst.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So I guess I'm in the market for a new ultrawide, at this point it's pretty clear I'm just going in circles with Monoprice support and they aren't gonna replace or refund anything.

Still want something that's 3440x1440, 144hz, VA as well I guess since I love the VA panel on this display too. Ideally 1500R curvature too.

Would I be setting myself up for more failure if I got something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Ultra-Wide-Response-FreeSync-G34WQC-SA/dp/B08GFN64F2/

There are obviously more expensive ultrawides out there, but if I can avoid spending $800-900 on overbranded Alienware products (that are fine overall, just overpriced IMO, I like Dell products and monitors too) I'd like to do so.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Not that I think anyone cares, but I did eventually contact Amazon and they agreed to let me return the defective Monoprice display after a full week of back and forth with Monoprice with no solutions provided at all from their customer service rep. I ended up buying one of these to replace it instead.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XZ342CK-Pbmiiphx-Certified-DisplayHDR400/dp/B08BW3XS12

Just got it today and it does have a single dead pixel, but it's like, 2mm away from the right edge of the display so considering everything else checks out with the display, I'm just gonna leave well enough alone. It's really nice having an actual decent OSD with a joystick to control it though. Got the settings on this thing dialed in within a few minutes.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I was shopping for a 34" ultrawide recently and looked at that Samsung, I do want to point out that it is a more extreme 1000R curvature versus 1500R and 1800R which are the other two usual curvatures you find in curved displays. 1500R is definitely the sweet spot for me.

The thing is, there are a bunch of 34" ultrawide VA panels, all of varying quality. I think Samsung's panels are good, the Monoprice Dark Matter I had used the Samsung LSM340YP05 panel I think, and I did love that display (I have qualms about Monoprice's customer support and the long term reliability of their monitors now, but I digress.)

The real difference comes in VA vs IPS for the ultrawide displays. The IPS is a bit more pricey, but some people swear by it because VA can be bad for smearing/ghosting. I certainly haven't noticed it on either of the VA ultrawide displays I've owned.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The Acer XZ342CK Pbmiiphx (wtf are with monitor model names) I just picked up to replace my other dying monitor only has a 100x100 mount, even the included stand screws right into the VESA mount. More monitors need to do it that way IMO, it was super easy to swap out the included stand with a proper monitor arm.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Lowen SoDium posted:

I read that model name as

The Acer XZ342CK

I mean you ain't wrong :v:. If there's one consistent thing about the names of monitor models, it's that they're all consistently terrible. Seems like a decent budget ultrawide though!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I do have a 4K monitor that my employer sent me that I don't really use. I also only have a 3070 which is not at all adequate for 4K really, so if you have a 3080/2080 or higher your mileage would probably be better.

I think 1440p is about the sweet spot for decent resolution and not having huge framerate drops.

Edit: Should have read you won't be gaming on it. Having just a 4K monitor on the side shouldn't affect anything, 4K only really sucks when you're trying to render 3D at that resolution at a decent framerate. If you're gaming on your other monitor it shouldn't affect anything in that sense.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 30, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I finally have an "Amazon hosed up in my favor" story!

Going back to my saga of the defective Monoprice monitor I bought last year, I bought a new Acer ultrawide display to replace it. The Acer is fine, no need to return it, it's been working great so far.

But the problem is, I didn't keep the box for my old ultrawide monitor - it's a super huge box to keep for a long period of time, and I don't have much space for things like that in my home. So what I did is put the Monoprice monitor back in the Acer monitor's box - they were the same shape, size, curvature, etc so it worked fine - and completed the return.

I even put a note in the box saying basically "Hey, the monitor in this box is not the monitor that is pictured on the box. It is a return for Order # XXXXXXX." Trying to be upfront about it so there's no confusion, right?

Well, they processed the refund for the Monoprice monitor about two weeks ago, and all was well.

Then I wake up to this email today:

So I guess I just got a free ultrawide monitor. :c00l: Thanks Amazon!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Using a 21:9 with an app like WindowGrid (http://windowgrid.net/) is amazing. Super easy to multitask with something like that.

Gets a little cramped putting three windows next to each other IMO, but if you're a developer for example, it's perfect for like, an IDE on one side, and a browser window/dev tools/whatever on the other.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well I bought a second Dell monitor to go with my existing SE2717HR. Ended up with a S2721NX as it seemed to have similar specs on paper but the picture is markedly worse in terms of brightness and contrast, and there's a random flicker every few minutes too. Guess I'll be returning it. Anyone have any tips on how I can find something that's a closer match to the picture on my SE2717HR? Maybe another 27" display still sold with the same panel?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Do you have an Nvidia card and are you on the latest Nvidia drivers? I’ve had weird rear end flickering on all driver versions past 472.12 I believe.

Flickering on the top of one screen, and the mouse pointer was flickering on my secondary display. Both problems went away with a driver rollback.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Also reporting in that I’ve had no issues with any games on my ultra wide monitor, support for it is not 10 years away lmao.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Some games have embraced the superior method of having 21:9 rendering with a 16:9 aspect ratio for the HUD centered in the middle of the screen, but alas, that feature is not in nearly enough games yet.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

TheFluff posted:

it kind of is when the "opinion" is just factually untrue nonsense

Yep. I don't have a 3090 supermachine and yet I can hit the 120-144fps range on my ultrawide monitor on high settings in most games no problem. Ultra is even possible if the game supports DLSS.

If you're struggling to reach 30FPS on medium settings at 3440x1440p, time upgrade from your GTX 970 I guess.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rinkles posted:

what card do you have?

Plain ol' 3070, the only card I could ever get my hands on.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

TheDK posted:

Pick your poison. If you aren't a nitpick, get an IPS. You probably won't notice any problems. Something like 85% of retail monitor sales are IPS. Probably don't get a curved VA unless your eyes are terrible and you won't notice the black smearing. TN is actually most likely fine if it was made in the last 5 years.

FWIW not all curved VA panels are the same. On my original Monoprice 34" ultrawide, I hardly noticed smearing, but after that failed and I got an Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx to replace it, it's definitely terrible on that screen.

Either way I ended up getting that monitor for free thanks to an Amazon fuckup so I won't complain too much :v:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

butt dickus posted:

dell is making 2560x1600 monitors again with lg's new "ips black" panels that are supposed to offer more contrast

:buddy:

butt dickus posted:

but they're only 60hz

:smithicide:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have four at my desk, but because I have two machines at my desk and one of them is permanently attached to the second machine, and I like to have a lot of open windows for development.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Looks like a decent IPS. On the mid-higher end with ultrawides you mostly want to stay away from VA panels (they're horrible about smearing, I see it with my own two eyes every day) and I can't speak to that model specifically but I think a good chunk of Gigabytes are pretty good.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Any ideas why DisplayPort to HDMI adapters wouldn't work with a new PC? I have two different brands of adapters, tried different HDMI cables, nada. The HDMI cables work fine when plugged straight into my laptop, but my new PC only has one HDMI port, so I'm trying to just convert DP to HDMI for my other monitors and that's just not working for either monitor.

One of them has VGA in as well so I guess I may as well try a DP to VGA adapter. These are just slack monitors or w/e anyway. New PC says these should be DisplayPort 1.4 ports, not sure if that means anything.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 4, 2022

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's an Aorus Model S, has a 3080 but I couldn't tell you which exact model. I think they use extenders to get the connectors in the case routed to the GPU, maybe those could be part of the problem?

I'm guessing I'm probably in for a similar problem with the (passive) DP to VGA adapter too then?

I'll try to hunt down an active adapter instead and see if that helps maybe.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I could never get any DisplayPort adapters working on my machine, active or not, so I just ended up with a StarTech USB to HDMI adapter and that works fine. Not my favorite solution but that's what I get for holding onto older monitors with no DP input I guess.