Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Is there a Freesync monitor with a range worth a drat under 200 USD? Friend's building a new computer and she's getting an RX 470.

If there isn't, what do people think of this monitor? https://www.amazon.com/24-inch-FreeSync-Monitor-VG245H-Response/dp/B01JGYM5H6/
How does it do Freesync over HDMI?

If "range worth a drat" means a wide enough range that Low Framerate Compensation kicks in, then I don't think there's anything below $200. There are a few around $250 however.

Below $200 you are generally looking at 40-60 Hz or 48-75 hz, though there are a few 40-75Hz screens like this IPS monitor from LG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there a 27" 2560x1440 IPS with 144hz refresh rate that has color/brightness on par with a U2715H?

Probably. According to this the U2715H comes with Brightness 350cd/m2, Contrast 1000:1 and covers 99% of the sRGB color gamut. This one has the same stats except Asus claims 100% of sRGB. Add another $150 and you get G-Sync as well.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

The only "gaming" HDR panels right now are the two 4K144 IPS monitors, so you're looking at $2k, and it's still early-adopter technology at this point, you've got haloing from the FALD backlight and all kinds of stuff, and the software side is nowhere near ready. There's only a handful of games that support HDR right now.

Depends on what you accepts as an HDR monitor. The two 4K displays are the only ones certified to the DisplayHDR 1000 standard by Vesa. If you are willing to settle for DisplayHDR 600 both HP and Samsung have 1440p "gaming" monitors for much less money. Of course neither of them are G-sync, the HP is only 75Hz and the Samsung is curved.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Does anyone make a monitor with the following characteristics:

• 27 inches; I don't consider bigger than that to be better.
  • 1440p; not going to commit to buying the super high-end GPUs needed for 4k
  • 120 Hz or better
  • IPS panel or at least VA panel with really amazing overdrive.
  • Freesync or other VRR implementation that does not lock me into one GPU vendor (i.e not G-Sync)
  • HDR that's actually worth mentioning.
  • Preferably not curved.

I can find several monitors with most of that except that their HDRness seems… unconvincing.

If no one currently sells such a monitor is there any on the horizon?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

So nothing out now or the near future. My current 60Hz monitor works ok so maybe I'll just wait and see if real HDR becomes a thing. Or maybe I'll take TheFluff's advice and get something like this when it gets released. That ELMB-Sync seems like it could be neat.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

fake edit: wow seems like LG is the only company that makes the kind of monitor I'm looking for

Mostly LG. There is also the HP Envy 27

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Racing Stripe posted:

I'm having a little trouble finding a monitor that meets my specifications. It's possible that there simply are few (or none?) available that fit all of these criteria. I keep finding things that seem to fit the bill, but then it turns out that in the reviews there are people chiming saying that it's a VA instead of an IPS panel and I don't know who to trust. I also don't know whether I should compromise on the size or the refresh rate.

I'm probably going to get a 5700 XT GPU. Here's what I'm looking for to go along with that:

IPS panel (that seems to be the thread consensus)
1440 resolution
144 HZ (I could go 75 if necessary; I'm upgrading from 60 and it seems like I should probably go higher than 75 but I'll defer to anyone else's judgment)
Bigger than 27 inches (current monitor is 27 and I figure since I'm upgrading everything else I might as well also go bigger)
Freesync (g-sync is more expensive, but I'm unclear on whether it will work on both AMD and Nvidia or just Nvidia, and I'm looking at an AMD GPU)

If I stay at 27" I've got tons of options, so that might just be the best thing for me to do. If anyone's got thoughts, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Depends a bit on what you mean by 1440 resolution. If you mean Quad HD (2560 x 1440) then there are indeed very little available. There are however a few ultra wide (3440 x 1440) monitors like this one available.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Dominoes posted:

Hey bros. I'd like to hook 3 4k displays up to a single computer. Either an intel nuc, or a Dell laptop that has USBc for display. Either can do a single 4k display, but I think I need some type of hardware to do 3. (I'm fairly confident for the nuc, although the laptop may be able to do it on its own?) What do I need to buy? Thanks!

Something like this maybe?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

DrDork posted:

Panel Type: VA

That's all the talkdown you may need if you want it for gaming. I'd wait for a TFTCentral review that actually checks for blur/smearing--at 240hz/"1ms", we may finally be getting to the point where VA panels aren't trash, but that has yet to be proven.

Otherwise it looks like a real nice monitor.

It's not the G9 but Techspot reviewed the G7 which feature a similar latest gen Samsung 240Hz VA panel:

quote:

Luckily, at 240Hz the Odyssey G7 delivers astonishingly good response times. Not just good for VA response times, but good for any monitor we’ve tested, including TN panels.

Sadly the monitor had a few other drawbacks like backlight bleed and a 1000r curvature they found a bit too curvy.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Case in point: there's a lot of specs and flowery language thrown around, but is the panel type mentioned anywhere on this page? (it's possible I'm blind)

Yes, but only way down here:

If the curve doesn't bother you it seems like a decent gaming monitor for the price

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

We're used to monitors with completely different characteristics having model names that are nearly identical, but AOC apparently thinks it's OK to keep using the same model name after changing the panel to one with much lower contrast.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Truga posted:

is there a 32" 4k@144hz screen yet?

A couple were announced recently but I don't think they're available yet.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Anti-Hero posted:

Meant to reply to this earlier.

The issue I have with the Neo line is the super aggressive curve, which is there to mask the terrible viewing angles.

This really doesn’t appear to be the best time to buy a monitor. I want something with good HDR implementation and it seems like it’s either go for non-standard sized OLEDs (Alienware 34” UW, LG 42 C2), aggressively curved VA (Neo G7) or insanely overpriced, blurry IPS (Asus PG32UGX).

Viewsonic has a Mini-LED backlit, 32” 4K IPS panel that’s very expensive. I haven’t seen any “professional” reviews outside of Tom’s Hardware for it, and it appears to be basically the same as the Asus PG32UGX.

Among IPS panels there is also a 27" 1440p monitor from AOC, but again there seems to be few reviews for it.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

fknlo posted:

They're definitely not my thing but the kids seem to love them. This is the specific one he mentioned to his mom. He's 16 and doesn't need anything super fancy but I would like to go with a brand I've heard of.

VA panel, but not one of the expensive Samsung ones = dark level smearing. Would not recommend for gaming.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Palladium posted:

Is there a FALD 27" 144Hz+ Gsync-compatible 1440p non-curved monitor that doesn't cost a bomb?

Cooler Master Tempest GP27Q. IF you can find it in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Orty posted:

Whats the sweet spot these days for 1440p gaming? Seems like 27" 1440p 144hz gets tossed around a lot?

Any recommendations for decent 1440p gaming monitors that aren't much more than the $300-400 range? Bonus if they'd work well in a dual monitor set up. Seen the GIGABYTE M27Q talked about a bit, and a similar LG monitor that I forgot the specific model of.

As luck would have it, this overview was just published:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ae04bdURzQ