Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

That LG 27GL83A-B is in stock again on amazon. I think I'm gonna wait though, I'd probably want to get a new gpu if I upgrade my monitor, and those 3080s are looking pretty scarce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

K8.0 posted:

If you are definitely buying a new GPU this year I would say now is a good time to buy a monitor. Last year they sold out really fast once the holiday season hit, and this year will probably be worse. OTOH if you're not in a rush to buy a new GPU one could argue that you should wait for the next round of products to hit.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards not buying anything right now, and just upgrading both monitor and gpu sometime next year. I have a 1070 right now, but I'm still on my dell U2312HM (so 1080p), and games still look pretty good.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Edit: nm figured it out

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 26, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

So I've been using the new LG 27GL83A-B for about a week now and it looks great, but I was wondering if its supposed to take some time to "get used" to 144 hz? Everything that I read says higher refresh rates are supposed to help eyestrain but I feel like its made it worse. I did just come from a 1080p 60 hz so maybe its just gonna take some time to adjust? Its hard to describe, but sometimes I feel like I have a hard time focusing on a certain part of the screen, mostly when reading something. Its not something I notice at all while playing games

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

TheFluff posted:

If you're having eyestrain issues with a new monitor it's usually because the brightness is turned up too high. They tend to default to really high brightness.

Yeah, its probably this. I turned it down to 16(!) and it now feels a little bit better, thanks. My room isn't super well lit I guess

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

So how can I tell if I should be using the Reflex Low Latency setting? I have trouble understanding all this technical stuff

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I did not know that the little switch on the bottom was called a nipple. I'm not sure how I feel about this new information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Indiana_Krom posted:

Well, after something to the tune of 3 years of waiting for various manufacturers promises of a 27" 1440p 240Hz IPS Gsync monitor, Dell finally delivers:
Just ordered an AW2721D.
https://www.amazon.com/Alienware-Gaming-Monitor-DisplayHDR-Certification/dp/B08LR145ZY

Terrifying ordering a monitor with only a couple blur busters chase camera shots of the overdrive quality (only shows the results at the maximum refresh rate)... But it is a native gsync module which means variable overdrive is present and the impulse is adjustable so it should be fine, I hope. HDR remains a joke feature especially on a edge lit screen like that so I don't care, will only run it in SDR at the same ~160 cd/m2 as my other monitors.

My friend just bought that monitor also. I'm not sure why. I think maybe he saw that it was at a discount and since it just came out last week it was a "deal". He doesn't really have anything else to spend his money on though.