Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What's the cheapest I can get a 27" VESA mountable monitor for? I think I've talked my work into buying me some more screen space to be an Excel monkey in, if I can get it to the right price point, but I'm having trouble finding any to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Thanks,l. I feel kinda dumb now.

Sickening posted:

At $200 it'd be any easy sell, at $300 I might have trouble.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 2, 2018

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Saw this asked a little bit ago but no one answered: is there any compelling reason to get the EDG-27S over the XF27HUA at $50 less? The Nexus as a 10fps wider freesync range but otherwise they appear identical, down to the panel.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Saukkis posted:

I assume you are looking at the TN version. The IPS version XF270HUABMIIDPRZX is $458 on Amazon.com, the TN model is $330.

Nah microcenter

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Real G-Sync only gets to go in high end monitors. As far as I know, Nvidia's G-Sync certified freesync monitors just means the monitor itself is good enough they don't feel it would harm the premium branding they've built, the actual vrr implementation should be just as good, certified or nor, though there are crappy freesync monitors out there.

Also, my phone autocorrects G-Sync, thanks google.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I'd be surprised to find strong opinions on 1080p60 monitors, they're commodity items. Get an ips but buy whatever's cheap enough from a reasonably reputable brand.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I'm not super knowledgeable on monitors, but the general consensus is to get one good, main monitor, and commodity grade ones for any ancillary monitors unless doing multi-monitor gaming. High resolution and high refresh rates just don't offer much benefit to the kinds of things you'd be using a secondary monitor for while the first one is occupied

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

surf rock posted:

Does that apply if your use of the monitors is only a 60/40 split in favor of the main? While only the main monitor would be used for gaming purposes, my secondary monitor is still used heavily for spreadsheet work and streaming Netflix or YouTube.

Netflix, afaik, only does 1080p and 4k, and most YouTube content I've seen doesn't come above 1080p. Spreadsheets don't care at all, unless smoothness of your mouse cursor while moving over the sheet is that big a deal to you.

Basically, any non-gaming things you're going to do won't benefit from 1440p or 144hz monitors. If you know you're getting into 4k stuff a 4k60 monitor is a valid choice for a non-gaming screen but 4k content ain't exactly easy to find.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

You could get one of those new 55" Ultra large gaming displays or whatever they're being called.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Not sure about euro availability but that's 100% a 1440p144 setup, anything less would be wasting the power.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

G-Sync compatible is just the ones Nvidia's tested / is willing to put their branding on (so they're likely to be quality monitors). Any 10+ series Nvidia card can utilize Variable Refresh Rate monitors labels as freesync, though only over displayport.

There are a lot of crappy freesync monitors out there though, so be sure to get whatever you find vetted.

E;fb x2

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

That ones a VA panel, and while I can't speak to it specifically, the fancy monitor crowd is usually IPS or bust. This has the same (1440p144 IPS) panel as the Nixeus monitor that gets recommended here often and is only $330 at Microcenter.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Iron Lung posted:

Ok, so I think I've narrowed my monitor search down to these two and would love some feedback or direct recommendation to help me decide. I'm buying other parts this week/weekend and so I'll be ordering the monitor soon too. Microcenter doesn't stock either so I can't check them out in person, but in general reviews seem pretty positive for both so I'm having trouble deciding.

Nixeus EDG v2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N4DL9F7/?coliid=I2R7EJY6NYW7OQ
vs
Acer VG271U https://www.amazon.com/Acer-VG271UP...ics&sr=1-1&th=1

I'll be running a 2070s if that helps, and can't swing $4-600 for a better monitor right now.

Microcenter does have the the XF270HU for $330, which uses the same panel as the Nixeus, though a quick Google suggests the VG271U has more features. It's not an area I'm super knowledgeable in, just one more to consider.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It's really more of a 1080p card. While I wish there were more non-ultra benchmarks available, at 1440p ultra it'll have trouble hitting/holding a consistent 60fps.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Microcenter has the XFwhateverwhatever on sale for $290, buy em all so I'm not tempted.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It's a thing. High res high refresh monitors get hot.

E: or backlights I guess. That makes more sense. Regardless, it's a thing.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 4, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Sorry bub, the recommended video cards for 1440p144, the 5700XT and 2070S are around $400 and start at $500, respectively.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Yes but at least at my local one it's been completely delisted from their website so good luck.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Buff Hardback posted:

So if the XF270HU from microcenter is available, that's the absolute best bang/buck monitor, right?

Popping it on my Christmas list with the "only buy from microcenter" caveat if so.

A follow up, it looks like they've replaced it with the XV272U at the same $300. It appears to be a small upgrade but monitors aren't my area of expertise.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Zarin posted:

It's not chopping and stretching, though . . . 3440x1440 is just extra horizontal space compared to 1440p. I will see more of the map than a 1440p monitor, and/or have extra space for chat boxes, meters, etc.

As for uncapping FPS, it's my understanding that there are some diminishing returns there. Many people seem to report that north of 120hz becomes hard to distinguish, and I figure if a video card is good enough to run 1440p at 144hz, then it can probably run 3440x1440 at 120hz - the game would probably feel the same to me, so I would find myself opting for "seeing more stuff". :shrug: (I'm assuming that 144hz is the top-end of 16:9 G-Sync and 120hz is the top-end of 21:9 G-Sync, I may be off there)

Maybe we're just talking past each other here, though; I'm only running on assumptions of what you mean by "value proposition". Can you define it for me? Because it's possible we are sensitive to/notice different things about displays.

Just to interject, 3440x1440 is slightly more than 34% more pixels per frame than 2560x1440. Assuming each pixel is equally difficult to render, a GPU that can do 144fps at 1440p will only push ~107fps at 3440x1440. Not the end of the world, but a substantial jump in pixelcount and required processing power.

:goonsay:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Iirc cheap HDMI splitters wipe out any of the copy protection, and I think that's more for DRM'd content like BluRays than normal HDMI out anyways.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

BadMedic posted:

Apologies if this has already been answered, but is the Eve Spectrum legit? It looks really good but...

Throwing 20 bucks to crowdfund an indie game is one thing, but $630 USD to preorder a crowdfunded monitor is sketching me out. I don't want to risk losing that much money.

Also I've been looking at the Pixio PX7, does anyone here have any experiences with it?

They produced / crowdfunded a laptop a while back with everything you could possibly think of including crammed in there, so they're probably not going to take your money and run. They're not going to be the only ones with the panels in them, but if you want the trillion ports on your monitor I'd be surprised if they had a lot of competition.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I've got a 27" and probably 23" 1080p monitor side by side right now. Rather than opine on the fuzziness of text, what do y'all think would be a good selection of a/b pictures so that when faced with the decision, people can make a personally informed decision?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Hows the Acer Nitro XV272U Pbmiiprzx? It's $300 on amazon right now and I've got a $100 amazon gift card sitting around. On the other hand I've got plenty enough things to fill my time that I don't really need a new monitor...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

K8.0 posted:

It's a decent monitor based on a common Innolux panel. The performance isn't up to par with the LG or even the older AUO panels, but the contrast tends to be good on them. At that price and immediately available vs a 27GL83A maybe 2 weeks later, it's a perfectly reasonable choice.

Returnable until 1/31 because of the holidays, guess I'll jump, nothing to lose.

Microcenter has the VG271U Pbmiipx for 280 which looks slightly better? on paper? Do you know what if anything are the meaningful differences between the two?

E: looks like they're actually identical outside of the stand, so it's $20 vs using gift card money.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 2, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

For a second I was hoping someone embedded a mondo panel vertically in like a speaker housing. Very disappointed.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Thirst Mutilator posted:

What about Integer Scaling makes it better than just lowering resolutions (in a full screened game)? Is there any costs/tradeoffs to it? Obviously per all the discussion in the thread 4k144hz displays still not a reality/available right now, but in the future having a 27" monitor that I can use at 4k for productivity and 1440p/1080p would be great for monitor longevity, and removes a small but maybe significant variable when choosing a monitor.

I only own a 1070 GTX so I can't try it out myself.

Every display will upscale the input to its native res (or display a tiny, letterboxed image), usually using a bilinear filter or somesuch that blurs edge colors together across the increased space, integer scaling doesn't do this, one red pixel input becomes four identical red pixel output, effectively turning a 4k display into a 1080p one where each pixel is 4x the size.

As Paul said though, I've never heard of anyone caring about this except for pixel art games where the filters make everything look weird.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Hows 4k vs 1440p for productivity?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I've got a 24" and 27" fhd monitor currently. The issues with 1080p at 27" are imo vastly overstated, the text is every so slightly fuzzier and in like games and stuff it's not even noticable. But I would like to have more cells / rows on screen at once, which a larger 1080p monitor doesn't help at all with, so I was going to ditch the 24" for a higher res portrait mode monitor. With 1440p I could double dip and get a nice gaming monitor too, but I don't game on a monitor much at all presently, 4k might be cheaper and I would think could have more stuff on screen, but if the implementation is bad then it doesn't really help.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I've got a pc hooked up to a 55" 4k tv and using it for things other than gaming is such a pita I dug my old pc out of storage just to have something to pay bills with. In retrospect I could have just used my steam link but that literally occured to me while writing this :eng99: So, at least something smaller than that.

Using three monitors in windows isn't great, you can't just put one 'above' the others, if you center it in the layout screen you won't be able to go straight up when on the far side of either monitor, so it winds up being less annoying to have it above one monitor alone. Though, if I missed a setting and there's a way around this, someone please let me know.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I'm pretty sure the steam stuff recognizes the display it's actually attached to. Either way there's no getting past a display's refresh rate, just because one monitor is high refresh isn't going to change performance on any other ones.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

teagone posted:

Don't the PS5 and X|S use the same SoC?

They're both based off of Zen2 and RDNA2 (maybe RDNA 1.75 for ps5, no one has been exactly clear), but no they're different parts with different customizations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

On a 55" screen it's fine, at 27" I wouldn't be so confident.

It seems to me the new consoles should be able to do a mean 1440p60, but I guess it's just down to a lack of 1440p TVs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Well yeah, you gotta turn it off to see it's full black levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Got a AOC 1440p for the home office and there's so much room for activities spreadsheets. 75hz, no sync, and poor uniformity mean it won't be a great monitor for anything else but for the price I really can't complain.