Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Hi, thread. I have an Asus VE248H that I got a few years ago. For the most part, it's been a very suitable monitor, I don't have any complaints about the image or anything, but I have been having a rather annoying problem with it for a while. Playing games and watching videos is fine, but reading text starts to give me bad headaches pretty quickly - browsing SA for 15 minutes, for example. It does effect me less if I'm habitually on the computer for large chunks of time, but I have less free time than I used to, so it's become more of a problem. I suspect it's due to PWM/backlight flickering, as the monitor failed the pencil test pretty badly and turning up the brightness helped significantly, though now the screen's much brighter than I'd prefer to use. I don't know what else it might be, though, so if you all know if anything else that might be causing it, and how to tell for sure what is, I'd appreciate the info.

Assuming it is the flicker, is there anything else that could be done to mitigate or fix the problem? If not, are there any monitors that are particularly good for people sensitive to it? Here are some details for if I do need to get a new monitor:

Budget: If buying soon, around $250; I could save up for a bit and probably spend about $500 in a few months.

Usage: Mainly gaming, though I read enough stuff that this is a problem, so that's my main priority. Have never used a >60Hz monitor before, so that's not really something I care about.

Size/resolution: Obviously I'm used to 24"/1080p. However, I would sort of prefer to move to a bit larger of a screen, probably 27". I've been meaning to stop by Best Buy to see if they have any 27" screens I could look at to see how I feel about the pixel density for 1080p and/or 1440p, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm guessing that, being used to 24"/1080p, I probably wouldn't care for 27"/1080p. On that note, though, I'm using a GTX970, which I think is good enough for 1440p if I'm fine with ~60fps on medium-high settings? I'd be up for trying a widescreen, but not if that comes with a significant price increase or would necessitate a new GPU.

Let me know if there's any more info that would help! Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

My wife's looking for a new monitor, she mostly does Minecraft and FF14, plus some Office and general web browsing. Not a huge gamer. The big issue is that colors on her current monitor sucks. I have a... U2717D, I think? Which we both really like. She's fine with sticking at 1080p and doesn't exactly have a good gpu to drive 1440p anyway, so I was thinking of picking up a U2417H, which I can get through work for ~$230. Are there any other monitors at around that price I should consider, or is that the best deal I'll get?

Telum fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 10, 2017

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Do you mean the Dell U2417H or the U2515H? Both are good monitors but if she wants to stick with 1080p then you want the U2417H. Both are very good monitors and will serve her well, I used to play FF14 on a U2415 which is the 1200p/16:10 version and it worked really well, brilliant colors, very sharp text and easy on the eyes.

Whoops, yeah, I meant the U2417H, my bad. I love my U2717D so I'm pretty confident in their Ultrasharp line, I just wasn't sure if there was anything else worth looking at for around the same price. Thanks!