Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

K8.0 posted:

38GL950G

The 38GN950 is probably a safer bet now unless you're OK with fan noise.

The difference between the 38GL and 38GN:

38GL950G
- native G-Sync (module with small fans)

38GN950
- G-sync compatible (just as good as native G-sync on this model AFAIK)
- HDR600 with backlight dimming (not much of an improvement over the HDR400)

The 38GL also seems to have firmware issues with deep sleep due to the G-sync module.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think this can happen when the framerate doubling kicks in. It’s not quiiiite the exact same brightness at 120 Hz as it is at 60 Hz, so when it goes off the bottom end and kicks in doubling it gets darker for an instant.

38GN950 has a slower max refresh rate, it only goes up to 160 Hz, the GSync version goes up to 175 Hz.

It’s like $200 cheaper but it’s also a worse panel.

It's the same panel. 175hz OC uses chroma subsampling on the LG because it lacks DSC. 160hz is full 8-bit RGB HDR both displays.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

infraboy posted:

Are there any recommendations for a 32'' Monitor that is gaming oriented?

I'm leaning into a Samsung option

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-32-I...01081352&sr=8-4

That Samsung has a really aggressive 1000R curve which you might want to look into before deciding. The curve is kind of a gimmick but it also supposedly helps with viewing angles on large screens. The 1000R curve definitely steps into "will affect usability" territory where it starts looking distorted no matter how you look at it.

At that price point all of the different 32" 1440p 144hz VA are all probably very similar in terms of ghosting/dark smearing, black levels and color. Some have probably better overdrive settings that minimize ghosting more efficiently but won't get rid of it completely.

I have a Dell S3220DGF (165hz / 1440p) personally which I do like. It has a 1800R curve which is still noticeable but not as aggressive as 1000R. It has a solid stand (height and swivel) and 4 port USB hub. It also supports Dell Display Manager which allows me to set brightness from the system tray which is so much easier than the janky OSD. Overdrive settings let you choose between slight smearing or reverse ghosting like pretty much any other VA.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

K8.0 posted:

Why 32"?

I mean, it's way better on a big desk where 27" feels small and 34" feels too narrow. That's why finally settled on a relatively well priced 165hz 32" 1440p VA. I spend 3.5 - 4.5 feet away from my monitor most of the time and 27" feels positively tiny at that distance compared to a 32".

K8.0 posted:

terrible performance

I feel that this is way overstated in most VA discussions. Yeah, they ghost and dark smear, but I was personally scared and turned off of VA panels for years until I tried a few of the 144hz and personally, it's still a massive improvement over 60hz IPS and absolutely fine if you're not looking for the absolute best response times. Plus a lot of manufacturers implement a "good enough" overdrive setting that will work alright for most general users/gamers.

Like the S3220DGF that I'm on right now looks like an OK IPS to me in every single way except that it doesn't have IPS glow and has some dark smearing. Viewing angles are great and I look at this monitor from a lot of different angles (constantly shifting in my seat, different heights, different distances, rarely head on)

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are there any other 4K HFR displays other than the LG that I ought to know about/that have been announced? Ideally with HDMI 2.1?

Asus has announced a PG43UQ successor with HDMI 2.1. No announcement about final specs but if it's anything like PG43UQ then

- Freesync
- HDR1000 (edge lit zones)
- VA (particularly bad smearing)
- BGR subpixel layout (may or may not have blurry text)
- 120hz with 144hz OC
- more expensive than an LG OLED

Rollie Fingers posted:

I took the plunge and upgraded from a 34" ultrawide to the LG 38GL950G and my reaction so far has been: :captainpop:

The extra real estate is perfect. Fills my FOV far better than even a 34" ultrawide.
The vignetting at the very top of the screen is a bit disappointing, but I can live with it. I don't think I'll ever need/want a monitor bigger than this and I can't go back to anything smaller.

hell yeah :getin:

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 28, 2020

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Scarecow posted:

Why not just get the LG at that point

:shrug:

For me personally the LG CX 48" isn't interesting since it's not a monitor, it's way huge and will likely burn-in over a five year period when used with a PC. It's kind of funny how LG is now marketing it as a gaming PC monitor.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

repiv posted:

Not necessarily the case now with the Samsung G7/G9 having responsive VA panels, but I don't know if Samsung is supplying that panel tech to third party integrators yet.

That would be the dream but I'm resigned to them just still using that same garbage AUO VA BGR panel every 43" +120hz monitor has been using for years.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

NewFatMike posted:

My Acer Predator X34 bit the bullet. The only thing I can think of that did it was spraying out a cat hair a few months ago, but that was a few months ago. I'm looking at alternatives in case the repair bill is more than I can stomach and it seems like the AOC CU34G2X and Acer XV340CK are kinda my best options. Reviews are a little tough to come by, though.

Anyone out there with experience on these? I do like the IPS panel on the Acer, but I'm not sure if I'm going to miss the curve of the Predator more. Either way, the specs on these are pretty impressive.

I've tried both and both were fine and it's a "pick your poison" type of situation. The Acer is a typical OK IPS with good response times and IPS glow but with Acer's crappy menu and quality control (mine had a dead pixel on it from new). The flatness is kind of a problem at 34" since at that size the sides do actually disappear if you're too close and centered. You have to move your head if you want to see the last 8th of an inch on any side of the monitor which is typical with large IPS monitors. Colors were dull out of the box and contrast was typical cheap IPS (I didn't take that much time to try to dial it in though)

The AOC is great as far as midpriced VA's go and I'd put that solidly into the "modern VA" category where it competes nicely with the IPS panels of yesteryear (yesterdecade?). It does ghost but the 144hz at the higher overdrive settings mitigates that nicely. Not quite there if you're coming from a good IPS panel but you really have to see it for yourself before you can make a judgement. Colors were vibrant but also maybe a bit crushed. AOC apparently has a zero dead pixel policy?

My pick would probably be the AOC but mostly because Acer is rear end at that price. Also the AOC really does offer most of the features you'd get out of more expensive monitors and I'd definitely get a monitor that gets me 90% of what I want but at 50% price.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Is there a non-garbage way to control LG TVs like the CX? I might be more interested in trying out one of them if I could keep Web OS and the stupid wiimote remote fuckery to a minimum. All I really need is brightness and volume control after I've setup the PC mode how I want it to be. Smartphone over bluetooth or PC would be ideal.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

On my last cellphone with IR their Android software was good. That was a couple cellphones ago, unfortunately. I suppose getting an older phone that has an IR transmitter and just using it as a remote could work. (My last 5 or 6 cellphones have been LG phones, and I would have to dig them out to figure out which ones had IR transmitters.)

Kalman posted:

Should be able to get DDC control of these from the connected PC using a utility like ddccontrol or ControlMyMonitor.

Thanks! I'll have to check these out if I pull the trigger on an LG TV. Turns out also that LG does have some kind of an app.

I wish there was a 48" 120hz LG Nano (or preferably 43" but anything under 55")

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Knot My President! posted:

Appreciate the answer! Looks like CES is in January which is not too far away to see what's on the horizon :)

edit: for 38", what's the difference between the 38GN950-B and the 38GL950G-B? I guess one is newer? Costco has the 38GN950-B for $1600 so they're both the same price. I guess the GL is newer and uses an nvidia certified freesync versus the GN's g-sync?

GL is older with G-sync module and HDR400. It has two fans (one for monitor, one for module)

GN is newer with Freesync (G-sync compatible) and HDR600. No fans.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Chuu posted:

Does it still make sense to buy a 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor in 2020 for PC mainly used for programming? The used prices on them are super attractive. Or if pricing wasn't an issue, do the 32" 3840x2160 just make much more sense?

Depends on a variety of factors. If you have a narrow desk (you sit close and have good eyesight) I'd say it's worthwhile considering a cheap 4k 32" monitor if it fits in your budget since it will fit more text/windows/etc at 100% scaling. You also get a warranty when buying new if that means anything.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

TheFluff posted:

Well, nobody seems to be in any rush to bring OLED to the desktop, so no, it doesn't look like anything major is changing in the near future. Even if it does change, early adopting desktop OLED is probably gonna cost you like $1k for a 27" monitor so spending like $350 on an IPS now doesn't seem like taking much of a risk to me.

I doubt OLED in it's current form will ever be in a PC monitor that's marketed as a solely PC monitor. AFAIK the only one now is the Alienware AW5520QF (LG 55" panel) and they seem to be so unsure of it's longevity, they disable HDR by default (apparently you can still enable it from the OSD). It's probably fine as long as a couple of enthusiasts buy OLEDs as daily drivers but no one is willing to take on a thousands of morons cranking their screens to full bright and wondering why their game HUDs, system clocks and Chrome tabs start remaining on their screens after a year of usage.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

Does anyone know if there are new 38" panels in the pipeline? Feels an awkward time to be buying a top end monitor

Acer released the Predator X38 during the summer which is also insanely expensive and Alienware has announced the AW3821DW which is probably going to be expensive as well. Sucks to want a 38", I tell you what.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Well I was kinda looking to get into the 32" game which is why I was looking at the C32HG70. It seemed to tick off a lot of boxes ie. HDR, 144hz, etc. Obviously IPS would be better, but I also didn't want to spend 800€ on a single monitor.
Any suggestions for the 32" range?

It's probably fine. Other monitors you might want to look at with similar specs and price:

Gigabyte G32QC
- 165hz, 1500R, HDR400, Freesync, USB-hub

Dell S3220DGF
- 165hz, 1800R, HDR400, Freesync, USB-hub

Pretty much all the big display manufacturers have their own 32" VA 144hz 1440p variant out there. AOC, MSI, Lenovo, Samsung, Asus, Acer ...

I suspect they probably all use the same Samsung VA panels so performance will be similar but don't quote me on that. The distinguishing factors will be build quality (stand, robustness, etc), QC (pixels, glow, BLB) and OSD. So pick whatever is cheapest or whatever has the additional features you want like a good stand or a USB hub. I'd probably pick one that has doesn't have a separate power brick since the connectors with those are always seem to be really flimsy.

I have the Dell monitor myself and I like it. The ghosting is noticeable even with overdrive but probably average (not the worst among VA but definitely not best either). Otherwise I like it very much, very robust, quite minimal and has software OSD control (Dell Display Manager).

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Oh yeah, absolutely true. It kind of goes for HDR600 too and depends on how it's implemented. HDR600 is of course brighter but bad implementations will have the same caveats of HDR400 but amplified.

I personally don't consider it a bad standard per say since you can get more vivid colors for content consumption but that's not how it's marketed obviously. I just listed the HDR400 since the post I was replying to mentioned it as one spec.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
My take is that don't get an OLED as a PC monitor unless you're willing to take the possibility of writing off a a thousand bucks over the next 3 years instead of something like 5-10 years. Also they're huge as gently caress and reflective.

Having said that, OLED is absolutely baller as far as image quality goes.

RE: M320QAN02

:) : "Hey guys, here's that 32" 4K 144hz panel you've been asking for years."

:neckbeard: : YES

*monkey's paw curls*

:) : "It has a technology in it that adds 2000 USD in retail value"

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Oh so, there is an edgelit version also on the way. Should probably read more carefully, I kept it's assuming the stupid microled one and thus prohibitively expensive. :doh:

It's going to be really tempting if it's at least decent and max 1k. I think that's a common cut off for a lot of people.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Cygni posted:

32in monitors are gross, yeah i said it

shrike82 posted:

I wish LG would do a smaller sized version. The ergonomics of a 48" on a normal desk doesn't make any sense.

Coincidentally 32" 1440p ja 48" 4K is pretty much the same PPI so it's technically possible already. I'd probably get around the burn in worries with the 48" by just using a movable 32" window on the desktop for everything and treat it like a movable resizable smaller monitor. Kind of depressing though since you'd have literally several feet of reflective bezel all the time just to improve longevity.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

* sadly, my 1060 is really struggling to push 1440p. I'm able to stay at 60+ just fine in Destiny by kicking things down from high to medium, but Doom Eternal, a game that I always thought of as being optimized by arcane magic, seems to refuse to put out 60fps at 1440p, which is a bit of a bummer. I wonder if this is why 1070s and 1080s have been selling for a ton lately - people upgrading to 1440/144hz and realizing their 1060s can't handle it, but not wanting to pay 2xxx prices and not being able to get their hands on a 3xxx

My "fix" on a 1060 6gb for Doom Eternal has been to put res scale to 50-75% (ie. 720p - 1080p) and sharpening to max. Game takes obviously a visual hit with that but it's so fast paced that the 90-120fps that you get out of that is way more valuable than the quality. Game still looks good enough until I get back on the high end GPU train. I think the idTech dark magicks definitely makes the game still look absolutely tolerable even at that resolution scale. Far Cry 5 on the other hand looks like hot poo poo if you even touch the resolution scale on 1440p.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

repiv posted:

It's not specific to that monitor, the PS5 just won't do 120hz unless it's in conjunction with 4K over HDMI 2.1

It won't even do 1080p120

What.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

DrDork posted:

The PS4/Pro didn't, either.

Well, because they couldn't do even 60 in all the titles. 4k120 TVs didn't even exist back then. Cheap 144hz monitors are abundant now and the PS5 could easily drive 1080/120, what the hell. It seems like such a dumb and weird oversight.

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 16, 2020

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

don't want ghosting to be too noticeable.

Is it just "Go with the IPS over VA"?

Pretty much, yeah.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

BabyRyoga posted:

So this beast dropped:

The AORUS FV43U 43" 4K 144Hz HDR1000 Gaming Monitor

I've been waiting for it for a while now. Was expecting a much higher price than 999 USD tbh. Is this possibly the first non-lovely 4k 144hz gaming monitor (that could also be a beast for 4k media with its 43" size)?

Is there a monitor arm that even exists that could hold two of these guys either side by side or top/bottom? There has to be some kind of drawback.

It looks like a cheaper PG43UQ with HDMI 2.1. So expect massive ghosting, BGR subpixel layout (blurry text in Windows).

I did try a PG43UQ and I'm used to looking at VA and am pretty lenient but that monitor was just bad. Lots of ghosting and a subpar desktop experience. OK for media consumption, awful for high FPS games.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

butt dickus posted:

what's wrong with this monitor will i regret buying it (i like the curve shut up about the curve i want the curve)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088HH6LW5/

Buggy software and possible scanlining (every other horizontal line darker than the rest). The scanlining happens because of what is shown on the monitor (dark scenes) and can flicker every other frame resulting in a really obnoxious strobe effect. Worst offender was Doom Eternal (although it fixed itself by turning on HDR)

My experience was with the 32" G7 though but as far as I understand it's a problem with all Odyssey displays.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The scanlines are something that only happens on with their 240hz monitors in their 240hz modes, and I believe the flickering is a different issue. The scanlines should be static and you can see them more clearly with static content. I think solid light blue is one of the colors that brings them out more, and there are other test patterns where they're more visible. The flickering happens with VRR, which is why Samsung implemented their "VRR Control" feature. That feature mostly disables VRR though, so it's a very hacky solution.

The scanlines and flickering are present on the G9 and Neo G9, but many people never seem to notice these issues, so their level of intrusiveness is up for debate I guess. They're not present on the Neo G7, but the scanlines are sometimes present on the Neo G8, though they are apparently much harder to notice on the Neo G8 or maybe show up in fewer situations. The flickering issue seems to be solved with both the Neo G7 and G8.

Yeah, I forgot there was the Odyssey G5 and G3 lines that don't have the 240hz panels. Anyway, it definitely affects other modes on the 240hz panels as well since I couldn't fix it going lower refresh.

I never had issues with VRR flickering. Mine was definitely the scanlines engaging every other frame in Doom Eternal. Usually happened when I looked at a fire or something else that had fast switching bright spots. Don't know about solid light blue but my cases were anything that had a certain amount of darkness so basically any dark mode website (like Youtube) could trigger it so it happened a lot. I could never have the monitor brightness be too low or it would always trigger. Same with night mode. Games looked amazing and it was a truly fast monitor but Windows on it was pretty miserable.

Anyway, my point is not to buy the 240hz samsung panels. You might win the lottery but more likely you're just going to pay a lot of money for an insanely buggy experience. The Neo G line was apparently another example of Samsung just not giving a gently caress what they were releasing. Not relating to the Odyssey but I have a Samsung SR75 as a second monitor that has just terrible firmware that crashes the monitor once in a while and I have to unplug it to get it back. I've had enough experience with Samsung products now that I've just sworn them off. Never again.

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Surprise T Rex posted:

While looking at bigger 4K screens I came across people using 43” tv screens as monitors, is this ever a good idea or is it just YouTube gimmick bullshit?

Not a good idea. Big monitors in general, TV or not, are a shitshow.

Modern smart TVs' downsides will be the menus, no automatic sleep mode, ads if you want to use any of the 'smart' functions and only HDMI.