Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Can I ask about monitor cleaning supplies here?

I had a bottle of monitor wipes from Staples but it dried out a few months ago. Should I buy another one or get a bottle? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

If it's available in your country, try Autoglym Fast Glass polish. Made for cars but it works really nicely on monitors and TVs, just spray on a suitable cloth.

Thanks, luckily Amazon carries it but no Prime shipping. Oh well, here's to clean monitors for the next few years.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

So my 2 yr old Asus monitor may have died or not. It's not recognizing my PC and I've tried all inputs. Yes I've checked all connections and it's fine. I tried a HDTV and it works fine.

This is disappointing as it worked it was fine one month ago.

Edit: fixed. Gdt this is why I said to be careful while packing up my PC.

Alder fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 2, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Do they still make 4:3 or square monitors? I miss my dual monitor set-up but I lack desktop space. Ideally for a budget since I'm still broke but I want to see if anything goes on sale for BF. Thanks.

Alder fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 19, 2016

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thanks, will check out links.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hypothetically, can any monitor work in portrait-mode as long it's not attached to it's stand? I'm looking at affordable monitors but I've always wanted a 2nd monitor dedicated to coding/references/reading text along with the main one. Also, I don't want to buy monitor arms...

Pictured like this but with actual realistic price range on the system and monitors.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Desuwa posted:

Yeah, monitors just take pixels from the graphics card, the orientation of the monitor is controlled in your operating system. There are pretty cheap single monitor stands that can give you enough clearance to put your monitor in portrait if the stock stand doesn't allow for rotation.

Thanks, this will be useful when I see some clearance monitors. I just run 1080/60 and the 2nd one doesn't need to be too fancy just to display 80% text and guides.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Are amazon and newegg decent sites for monitors? I'm looking for <22" and I hope it'll swivel to portrait mode but none of the spec lists are telling me anything useful :tinfoil:

I would go to a B&M but I feel like sale associates would stop me from manhandling the test displays...

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DrDork posted:

Amazon is great, particularly because they have incredibly generous return policies (free shipping, no restocking, etc) for many of them. NewEgg can have decent deals, but their return policies are nowhere near as generous, so if the prices are close I'd always go Amazon.

You might be surprised with your B&M, particularly if you present yourself as a seriously interested customer rather than someone just going around poking random buttons on monitors. Worst they can do is ask you to stop, and at least you'd get to see them in person.

The nearest B&M are BB, M.C., Target, and Staples I think there's some small techs stores but even Micro Center had much smaller offerings than I expected.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Downside for buying monitors from eBay other than high S&H costs? I'm looking at 16:10 monitors and amazon doesn't have as much variety compared to ebay.

I mean within USA not importing tech from Asia. I've bought cheaper tech like tablets, mice, headphones, and Vita from eBay w/o any problems too.

Alder fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

dissss posted:

There simply aren't that many choices in 16:10 these days - you can buy a perfectly good 1920x1200 IPS Dell or HP office monitor but it isn't going to have gsync or high refresh rates or anything like that.

I'm fine with average monitors just they start at $200 unless I'm missing out on local deals. My main monitor cost $110 since 5 years ago.