Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
http://techreport.com/news/31375/acer-xr382cqk-gets-ahead-of-the-freesync-curve

God loving damnit, Acer, what the everloving gently caress is the point of a 48-75 Hz VRR range?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Contemplating the Acer KN242HYL, it's on sale over at Newegg for $99 after a coupon code EMCRDBR22.

TL;DR: This is going to be a work monitor, it's a 60 Hz 1920x1080 IPS, does anyone have anything bad to say about it?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Just on the off chance that any of you need SXS monitor arms, I'm selling/trading mine:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3841007

Nothing wrong with them, my needs have just changed since I moved from a pair of 1080ps to a single 1080p ultrawide.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

obi_ant posted:

Would there be a difference between wide screen and non-wide screen in terms of to 1060 being able to push it?

Not really? I played through Wolf2 with a Max-Q 1060 on ultrawide, and it ate that up.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Atomizer posted:

It's more an issue of resolution rather than aspect ratio, e.g. a 2560x1080 21:9 ultra-wide is easier to drive than a 3840x2160 16:9 because it's a matter of pushing ~2.8 MP vs. ~8.3 MP. :eyepop: Of course there are other resolutions with those aspect ratios but the point is that the difficulty of driving a given display is dependent on the resolution. In your case, with a 1060, the 2560x1080 ultra-wide should still be doable, because that resolution is 1.3 times ordinary FHD.

Yes, actually multiply out the resolution to do your comparisons.

1080p: 2,073,600 pixels
1080p ultrawide: 2,764,800 pixels
1440p: 3686400 pixels (1440p is effectively 4 720p panels tiled in 2x2)
2x 1080p: 4,147,200 pixels
1080p ultrawide + 1080p FHD: 4,838,400 pixels
1440p ultrawide: also 4,838,400 pixels
4K HD: 8,294,400 pixels (4K panel is effectively, 4 1080p panels tiled in 2x2)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 20, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So, my dad is getting up there in years, and he's begun to complain that his monitor (presently an HP2311x) is too small.

I'm thinking what he *actually* means is that he needs the DPI scaling bumped up, but in order to keep Windows from displaying exactly seven-and-one-half icons on the desktop because they're so loving huge, I'm looking at a combination of larger panel size, *and* increased resolution to keep the pixels from being the size of my thumbnail, right?

So, anyone got a lead on a 16:9 1440p in the 28-32 inch range with excellent price/performance?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 18, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If it were me, I would immediately veto it out of hand because it lacks VESA mounting, but I've tried to get him to elevate his monitor in the past (in the form of a monitor stand just to start) and he refuses to, so I think this will do nicely. Cool beans, thanks.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Level1Techs.

4 port single-monitor, up to 4K60, audio, and USB3: https://store.level1techs.com/products/kvm-switch-single-monitor-model

4 port dual-monitor, up to 2x 4K60, audio, and USB3: https://store.level1techs.com/products/kvm-switch-dual-monitor-model

Never mind, they are currently out of stock.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 27, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
<"I dunno" noise> I've got an LG 29UM68-P, and my nose is about eighteen inches away from the monitor at its closest point.

Not only did I get used to it, but the actual real estate gains (I am/was a CAD/CAM drafter at work) make me want a screen that's even larger. Maybe two.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I like dual 1920 x 1080 setups just fine, and I still think a 49" ultrawide is dumb.

Even though I now use a 21:9 1080p, there's always a part of me that goes, "You know, I would really like to be able to fullscreen this one thing, without affecting everything else"

Eventually, I intend to use two monitors again. I'm thinking 21:9 1440p + a 16:9 1080p that switches between portrait and landscape depending on task at hand, once GPUs aren't hosed anymore, and I can get something that's actually capable of driving that many pixels.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 23, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

KingEup posted:

Huh? You know you can set it up so it behaves as if the single display was actually two independent displays right?

The 1280x1080 resolution per-pseudo monitor displeased me. Also, not able to rotate one of them into portrait for reading documents.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 23, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

KingEup posted:

So now the only reason 32:9 is dumb is because you can't rotate the display to read documents?

It is for *me*. I'm sure if you asked other people, they'd be able to come up with reasons why they think 32:9 is dumb, too!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
With great care, try turning it with a monitor mounted onto it. The leverage can help.

Secondly, have you tried rotating it 355 degrees in the opposite direction?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The amazon basics monitor arms are the rebranded Ergotrons, right?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Fellow goons, through a set of frankly baffling and infuriating circumstances, I am left with a dead monitor not four months old, and therefore back to shopping again.

Is my research still valid in that where my criteria are:

1) 1440P
2) Ultrawide
3) 100Hz+ refresh rate

in mostly that order, am I still looking at the LG 34GK950F if I'm doing any gaming at all, despite the lackluster peak brightness as long as I can get it for <$900?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 1, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Sagebrush posted:

Alright, you convinced me and I found a 34GK950F for a fair price. The combination of high frequency + expanded gamut + some reviews guaranteeing it will work fine with an nVidia card wins. Looking forward to it :cheers:

Oh, and I've only ever had IPS displays going back to like 2004 so I'm totally used to the IPS glow and their particular amount of contrast. The OLEDs at the TV store actually look kind of bizarre and over-contrasted to me ha

Do you mind sharing the place you found it once you get your order in? I too, am searching for one.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm gonna chase my tail until I catch it and then I'm gonna ouroboros myself to death if I don't get some outside input here.

Got a dead BenQ 1080p monitor that I was using to tide me over until I could find the 34GK950F-B I really want in stock and on a little bit of sale. BenQ's customer support has been incommunicado for a week now, probably because of COVID. Still in warranty, only 4 months old.

Get a different monitor to tide me over, or suck it up and keep using my laptop's built-in monitor in the meantime?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, I'm trying for this.

Turns out my work is near the one Walmart left in the area that still has them in stock, on account of being boarded up.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=366475714

$124 for an Acer Predator XB271H, but only in person.

It's a TN panel, but that combined package for $124? Sure, why not.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 8, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
34GK950F-B, as seen on Amazon. Worth it?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Longbike posted:

I'm monitor shopping for my wife, who will be using it mostly for working from home. She manages training program review and reporting, so does a lot of data analysis, report writing and occasionally is called upon to do training content review. She has a 13.3" 1080p Dell Latitude 7390 that is currently hooked to a 15 year old 1680x1050 Samsung TN monitor. Basically anything I get her is going to be a huge upgrade, but would still like to get her the nicest solution possible within a ~$300 budget.

I've got a Microcenter near me, and the current front runner is this: https://www.microcenter.com/product/601538/aoc-u2790vq-27-4k-uhd-60hz-hdmi-dp-frameless-ips-led-monitor
$240 for a 27" 4k seems almost too good to be true, and as an added bonus the pixel pitch is nearly identical to her laptop screen. Is there a catch here? If there isn't something hugely wrong with it I'm probably going to take a drive and buy it this weekend.

I've also looked at the seeming thread favorite Nixeus and while it might be nice to have high refresh rate/VRR in the future, I'm not sure if I can justify paying an additional ~$85 and dropping to 1440p for features she won't be able to use at current time.

I'm a bit out of date on monitors since the last time I seriously shopped for one was back in 2015, so will appreciate any feedback or suggestions you all can provide.

It's 4K. Which means that you may be doing some resolution scaling or other associated fuckery on those integrated graphics to get it to look and run well, just an FYI.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Welp, waited too long, and the LG 34GN850s started shipping. How do we do the math now on 1440p ultrawides?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
TL;DR: Diminishing returns past 120Hz - 144Hz, and/or sacrificing things at the altar of the dread god Eff-Pee-Ess.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Goons, is the PG42UQ really as bunk as it's made out to be, or are the problems I see on Reddit a very vocal minority?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Man, I wish dual-layer LCDs actually became a thing beyond reference monitors. I wonder what specifically prevents them from being made for ordinary TVs/monitors. Are they really that expensive to produce? Or is it just the heat/power consumption? (even if you aren't making a 10,000 nit reference monitor?)

I have heard that it is due to parallax generated by the dual layers resulting in poor off-angle image quality. Great if you're the only person sitting smack dab in the center, but worse if you're not.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 21, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I'm not sure if anyone here has bought one. It seems decent from the reviews, though. What is reddit saying about it?

Short version: Firmware fuckery.
Long version: display not waking from sleep, not reading 12bpp at 138hz, HDR being worse than SDR and washed out, screen intermittently going black, VRR adding latency, bricked monitors, brightness down from stock firmware, non-off pixels for blacks.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Can someone explain to this geriatric millenial why 16:9 monitor sizes go 24", 27”-28", 32”, and then jumps yo 48", with a huge gap betwwen the latter two that is filled by about as many monitors as can be enumerated on one hand?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

GruntyThrst posted:

I’ve decided it really sucks that I have to choose between OLED and 4k unless I want a 42 inch screen.

it also equally sucks if you want a 42 inch 4K OLED. Results tend to get polluted by ultrawides.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Coxswain Balls posted:

Found three bulging caps on the power board (two in the picture), all the same make. I should probably just replace all of that particular capacitor, feels like it's just a matter of time until the other ones bite it.

Hrm. Is it still capacitor plague if we're ten years on before they finally blow, even if the time frame is about right?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

KingKapalone posted:

Is there a way to tell why my display and PC stopped going to sleep? They were just fine, but yesterday I saw it didn't. Not good since I just got this AW OLED a month ago.

Do you have a controller plugged in? A controller will prevent your computer from sleeping. Ask me how I have to re-remember this every few years when I pick up a game that needs a d-pad or analog sticks.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Zarin posted:

Will this hypothetical controller prevent Teams from changing to the away status?

Asking for a friend.

Unknown.

Never had any of my controllers do that, so it must differ depending on the controller.

Dualshock 4.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 13, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

runaway dog posted:

dude ended up getting that monitor for 360 anyway despite my strong objections, I am forever the tech friend that people ask advice from only to then do the total opposite, then ask me for tech support on their poor purchase. nobody listens to poor zathras

commiserations, friend.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
One tries putting in effort to help someone out only to be called Cassandra.

S'like, gently caress, why even ask, gently caress off and leave me out of your money wasting.

You clearly valued my input, so you came to me for advice, I gave it, and then you proceeded to completely ignore it and gently caress off. Well gently caress off without involving me in the first place so I can save myself the time, the effort, and the emotional backlash.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 23, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Anyone seen any long-term reviews of the PG42UQ? It's nearing six months since release. The initial firmware issues kinda scared me off, I'm wondering if they've gotten things ironed out since then.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
RTings did a video on the 4-month update of their QD-OLED long-term burn-in test experiment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my1lyUE7WVM

Was actually uploaded two weeks ago, but I didn't see anyone mention it here. It's TVs, but there are still conclusions that can be taken away, i.e WRT fixed static elements.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
was reminded to go and check if PG42UQ firmware issues have been fixed yet.

HA.

https://old.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/12ssmb3/pg42uq_new_firmware_incoming_to_fix_hdr_issues/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
anyone spot anything interesting out of Computex? I worry that 36-45 inch 16:9 monitors might be dead before they had a chance.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

42" OLED monitors will be a thing for as long as LG is making TV panels at that size. There has also been one 38" 4K IPS monitor shown: https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/asus-rog-swift-pg38uq-debuts-with-38-4k-ips-panel-and-144hz-refresh-rate

It's Asus ROG branded, so I fear it's going to be really expensive even though it doesn't seem any more advanced than many of the other ~$700 32" 4K panels.

As for other monitor news, nothing too major has been announced. Most of the exciting announcements happen at CES, and then we mostly get product updates at Computex.

Rrrrgh, incredibly leery based on how the PG42UQ is still full price almost a year in, and all of the technical issues that had that may or may not have been solved after the most recent firmware update this month.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B356KYJ6

LG 48GQ900 OLED down to $996, a full $500 off the usual price.

And yet, somehow, the PG42UQ is still going for close to initial retail price.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 12, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
i ain't never not used auto hide task bar, though my use stems from when 800 x 600 was the cutting edge for the home consumer.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
48GQ900-B is on sale to $899 everywhere, tell me I'm dumb for buying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

uXs posted:

It's hard to tell but maybe yes? Not always but maybe more yes than no.

There was a video a few years back of a group of Dutch programmers catching precisely such a case of the gas piston on an office chair blanking an external monitor connected to their laptop, and the reproducing it at increasing ranges up to a distance of a few yards/meters. Sadly, twitter being what it is, I cannot find the video any longer. It is, therefore not unfeasible that you are not the one causing it. This is a known problem with a paper on it as early as 1993: http://www.emcesd.com/pdf/eos93.pdf

Regardless, the solution is unchanged: Get better cables, minimize length where possible.

edit: https://twitter.com/royvanrijn/status/1214162400666103808

welp, twitter being even more of an absolute fucknozzle than usual. He mirrored the video to his l**nkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/royvanrijn_youve-got-to-be-making GBS threads-me-one-of-our-activity-6620744845130551297-8QeZ

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 2, 2023