Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

xcore posted:

What's glossy? Do I want glossy?

It super depends. My old sony vaio Z is glossy, but it works even outside in the summer sun as long as the brightness is cranked to max. Then there's macbook glossy, which is basically a shaving mirror in almost any condition outside. And finally there's just your old shaving mirror, that doubles as a monitor at night.

At least check reviews, but preferably have a look before buying if you can is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
1080p is exactly half 4k, so you don't get any issues with it. Just 1 pixel becomes 4 pixels.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

How is 1920×1080 half of 3840×2160? It's exactly one quarter.

It's exactly half in each direction? 2160/1080=2 :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Taima posted:

I really feel like 4k+ is a huge gimmick, at least right now and for the near future. We got in the 5k imacs at work and it doesn't make nearly as much of a difference as you would think.

The difference is small due to antialiasing. In my opinion, until I can run everything without it, the DPI is too low :v:

Until then, I'll keep my 2560x1600 though, it'll serve me well until I get my rift.

fatpat268 posted:

Half in each direction, yes, but 4x the amount of pixels.

Which is why I said 1 pixel becomes 4? :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I have a 2008 30" S-IPS that has a total 15ms latency: http://uk.hardware.info/productinfo/25461/lg-w3000h-bn/testresults

No scaler no OSD monitors own.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Thirst Mutilator posted:

- lovely buttons/features. There are brightness buttons but no indicator of what level you're on.

For gaming this is a good thing, though. My old 2008 30" IPS has better response time than most recent IPS screens due to the lack of OSD/scaler.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Does OSD affect that? The scaler I understand, but I didn't know that having OSD capability impacted latency.

I guess it can depend on implementation, but consensus on the internet is that since OSD requires some sort of image processing that yes, you will get extra latency.

I'm guessing most of the higher cost monitors will have a separate buffer for OSD and just plaster that over your picture, but who knows what all these <$500 27"+ IPS screens do.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think I should mention that going by a (tiny) sample size of this thread, chances of getting a lovely acer and having to RMA it due to dead pixels/backlight bleed/etc. is about 50%?

I'd say for that kind of price, that's simply unacceptable, but people seem to be going for it anyway :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Try running it in windowed. If that doesn't help, I don't think anything will, short of setting the stuff in the game (if that's even possible).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Why not just make the monitor with DP1.3? Isn't it backwards compatible, so it'll run at 60hz now, but will do 144 when you buy the GTX1080?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

But what about the past? Plasma? CRT? Thin versions of CRTs that never saw the light of day: SED and FED?

I'm not overly impressed by what I've seen of OLED in general, so I hope it's not the only future.

I'd buy the poo poo out of a FED monitor. Sadly, it doesn't look like anything's going to float up any time soon :(

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Where are actual LED (i.e. not led backlit) displays, by the way? I'd think they would be available by now.

vvvv: Yeah like that, but with really really small LEDs :v:

Truga fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 16, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Wasabi the J posted:

That doesn't bother me too much, but they have some kinks to work out before they break out into the mainstream.

I know. I have a psvita with an oled screen, and it's really good.

But I haven't seen any desktop monitors with this kind of tech yet, and I'm wondering why. They've been pretty mainstream on phones and tablets (like samsung's super amoled), and the resolution is definitely up there, but nobody seems to bother with anything bigger than 10 inches still :argh:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh poo poo, they do exist now. Nice.

But yeah, prices are pretty high. Only a matter of time I guess before issues get resolved though. CRTs also burnt in for a while, in the final years of CRT, it was impossible to do it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a trick to overclocking a monitor I'm not seeing?

I'm on windows 8.1, and after adding a resolution/refresh rate with CRU, it's not showing up at all...

e: Never mind, I just needed to run the pixel clock patcher thing. Works now.

Seems to run at 75Hz. 76 or more makes it way too bright (though apart from that it seems to still work fine :ohdear:)

I think I'll run it at 72, since that's 3x24 :v:

Truga fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 17, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The alternative to anti-glare is a shaving mirror, so no.

I dunno why some people insist in applying 2 inches of the matte thing, though. It's not the anti-glare itself that's the problem, it's the idiots applying it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

I think he is referring to the new AMD cards lacking DL-DVI without an activate adaptor (and no overclocking).

This is a really annoying bit.

I wonder if DVI dongles exist that report higher refresh rates through EDID than the monitor? I doubt it, but there might be a market for it once dvi dies :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've had my 30" for over 6 years now, and I don't see it not using for another 5 unless it dies.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Humans don't see in frames so the more the better, really. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Please don't buy an expensive monitor with a panel that looks like something from the early 00s. I'm pretty sure you want to experience 4K, not gradientsK.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CopperHound posted:

I guess it is too much to assume the "Is there poo poo stuck inside the screen?" check would be included in the QA before boxing up a monitor?

We can't afford QA for our $1000 monitors, sorry :(

But yeah, I really wonder what is going on there. These all look like really good monitors, but are plagued by the dumbest poo poo ever.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

signalnoise posted:

Is there any reason to prefer glass-panel displays?

It helps if you're shaving at your pc I guess.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a 1440p 27" and a 1080p 27" and I prefer reading on the 1080p monitor. I'm a little nearsighted, -2.00, but even wearing my glasses, my eyes are more comfortable with the 1080p.

Now set the DPI scaling thing on your 1440p screen to 120.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Is that a screenshot of your monitor problem? :laugh:

But yes, 2 years is short for a monitor. I've had my LG for 6-7 and it' still great. I think those Dell screens have 3+ years of warranty? Definitely check if you can get it RMA'd.

Also, try plugging it into a different computer. I had the weirdest experience at work the other day, where one monitor had this dark stain looking thing on top left on one pc, but on no other pc. :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Linus tries benching some freesync/gsync:
https://youtu.be/MzHxhjcE0eQ?t=11m40s

These numbers are all over the place. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
No, this $1000 ACER monitor is also a pile of poo poo like 60% of the time, but you can RMA it until you get a good one.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:yeah: Hobbit did 48fps, and people said it looks like a "cheap soap opera". Check this load of BS out:

quote:

Cameron's footage seemed designed to do several things. First, it showed how "strobing" artifacts are eliminated as the camera moves back and forth across a set. It certainly does do this, although I'm not convinced that audiences find strobing to be quite as much of a problem as the directors and cinematographers who struggle to avoid it on their shoots. It's an artifact of the 24-frame acquisition process, sure, but it's a characteristic of film that most of us have internalized and even expect to see when we go to the movies.

Emphasis mine. You have the industry trying their hardest to break out of the limitations of old hardware and remove the tell-tale artefacts of "this video isn't actually happening inside your tv", while cretins are trying their hardest to smear poo poo on new tech that makes their poo poo look better because they're "used to it looking bad and I like it!".

It's like when games implement motion blur and chromatic aberration. "Hey guys, our game doesn't look like it was shot on shoddy cameras and played on 90s LCDs, let's change that!" :cripes:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Monitor/Display Megathread - What online place has the best return/RMA policy to pick up a XB270HU?

Mods, please.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cephalocidal posted:

Being able to read the text tags on things I'm running past in a game without having to stop because the refresh rate is high enough to render steep vectors without blurring is nicer.

I'm using a 7 year old 60hz ips screen and this is never an issue :wtc:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

smackfu posted:

Looking to upgrade a 6-year-old 24" 16:10 TN monitor, connected up to a KVM switch via DVI. Used only for boring work stuff, and photos on the Mac. Zero gaming.

Go for the big 1440p IMO. Buying my current monitor was the best purchase decision I ever made, and it's the most expensive single component of my computer, despite it being 7 years old. (decent 30" are still floating around 1000 bux)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Please don't buy TN panels in TYOOL 2015 :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
In the late 90s, you could make almost any dumb 1280x1024 monitor run 640x480@120, which was usually also the resolution you wanted to game at to get that sick FPS and jump farther in all those 3 billion games that ran on some flavour of quake engine.

Later, in early 2000s on when cards began to get much beefier and monitors much heavier, you could slowly move up to 1024x768@120! :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hambilderberglar posted:

Is SLI mandatory for any dual monitor setup even if I'm planning on using only one of the two screens to game on?

Absolutely not. Any modern card can run like a dozen monitors these days (given enough outputs, anyway), and if you'll only game on a single monitor it's not a problem there either.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Optiquest posted:

Don't get an IPS for games

:shittypop:

Is this 2003?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

notZaar posted:

Any opinion on the Monoprice branded 144Hz monitor? It's on sale at the moment.

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/12178

Please don't spend money on a TN panel in TYOOL 2015 is my opinion.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

notZaar posted:

Does anybody manufacture a 120Hz+ IPS monitor? I haven't seen any yet.

Acer has a 144Hz one, asus just released a 165Hz one. So yes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

Please don't spend money on a TN panel in TYOOL 2015 is my opinion.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think there's more than 1 2560x1600 panel manufacturer, or has ever been. I'm 99% certain they're all built in the same plant. Choose depending on which one has the features you need.

Also, if you get a bad panel, return it. These things cost way too much to not expect serious quality. FWIW, while I do have some backlight bleed, it's only barely visible in the corners with the entire screen black and room dark. With something not 100% black on the screen it's unnoticeable.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
On one hand, OLED in 2 years sounds great. On the other hand, high resolution VR might hit by 2017 :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
By late 90s/early 00s I don't think any CRT outside the bargain bin had burn-in problems though? I left mine on for weeks at a time on the desktop and had zero issues until 2008 when it finally crapped itself.

I imagine OLED will go the same way. Right now, burn in is an issue. In 10 years, burn in will be one of those things that happen if you leave your display on while you go on a vacation for 14 months.