Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

A bunch of people at HardOCP can't stop raving about using 40"/48" Samsung 4k TVs as monitors. The big caveat is that you'd need a video card with HDMI 2.0 in order to output at 4k/60Hz.

This sounds amazing for general audio/video/image production work and while I'm pretty happy with my 3007WFP-HC, I am also awfully tempted. My overriding instinct is to wait until someone does this with DisplayPort (and for the price to go down).

Has anyone here tried this though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Tivac posted:

Good lord that's cheap.

But is it like a cheap Korean 27" in terms of quality for the price? God drat, I'm tempted to get two of these.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Zorilla posted:

I wish I could find more information, but I would be surprised if it used a different panel than the $800-1000 Philips 4065UC (and Crossover 44K, the other cheap Korean monitor).

The only thing I know for sure is that you can expect a power brick and no USB hub. At this size, the stand will be pretty basic, no matter what model you choose. This one appears to have a glass base. The old 39" Seiki I tried out had one of these, and I thought it was under-appreciated. Even most name brand TVs just give you a scratchy plastic base, and I though glass was a nice touch.

Here's what I would like to know about these before I could buy one anxiety-free:
  • What is the OSD like? Can I adjust RGB gain easily since color temperature is likely to be too high out of the box?
  • Does it have true backlight adjustment or does it just crush contrast?
  • PWM or DC backlight regulation?
  • How big is the power brick?
  • How well implemented is DisplayPort? Am I going to have problems when turning the monitor off and on? (e.g. program windows getting pushed around)

Yeah, those are the exact things I'm concerned about. I'm also wondering about input lag; I've been using a no-scaler Dell 3007WFP-HC for so long that I'm worried about switching to anything else.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Zorilla posted:

Want a 40" 4K monitor for $600? You'll probably want this instead. Being a TV, the Vizio won't have DisplayPort or DPMS support, which means it won't put itself into standby on command like nearly any monitor made after the mid 1990s.

Nobody seems to know if the M43-C1 supports 4:4:4 chroma at 60Hz either, which means the answer is probably "no".

drat, are there any reviews on that? I kinda want to get two...

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

You're going for the Crossover then? How does it compare to the Philips 40"?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

JFairfax posted:

Hmmm, maybe I should try for myself.

In my last gig we used some awful windows XP based thin client which had some loving horrific lag so I could probably cope with a couple extra milliseconds to be able to make use of the real estate of a 4k monitor.

Don't really care about colour shift, it's a work monitor and I'll just be looking at e-mails / websites all day.

What was the reason your work didn't spring for the Seiki Pro? The added cost?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Papercut posted:

I can't decide between one of the LG ultrawide's (like this), a 32" 4K like this, or a Korean 40" 4k like this, all around the same price.

Completely paralyzed with indecision, I'm sure I'll just end up waiting for the next big thing/next big price drop forever while I continue using my 23" 1080p that's like 5 years old. :suicide:

I'm in the same place, but I'm just going to wait for the second generation of 40"+ 4k monitors. Nothing in the first generation is super compelling for me right now.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

Got the LG 34UC95 today... It's awesome. Loving the ultra wide setup.

[Edit: Has anyone found a way to "snap" a window to the center of the monitor in Windows 7? Doing poo poo like surfing the forums is ridiculous fullscreen, but snapping it the left or right makes it off-center and I have to tilt my head. Snap to center would be perfect.]

I recommend getting DisplayFusion and creating your own function for that. It's great for managing windows on multiple monitors/high resolution monitors.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Are there any 27-34" monitors that do PiP or something like that so I could play my PS4 in a window while messing around on my computer during load times?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Any recommendations for a monitor stand (not a mount) for an Acer X34P that doesn't take up so much desk space? I keep trying to search for VESA stands but all I get are results for arms/mounts.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

space marine todd posted:

Any recommendations for a monitor stand (not a mount) for an Acer X34P that doesn't take up so much desk space? I keep trying to search for VESA stands but all I get are results for arms/mounts.

Any thoughts on monitor stands? I really like this monitor except for the giant desk footprint.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Strong Sauce posted:

you want a stand, but not the one that was designed to support the acer x34p? there's no real alternative here unless you go with an arm. the stand has to have a wide enough base where it can support the weight of a monitor that is both heavy and wide. an arm is able to take up less space since it uses the table as the base. why don't you want an arm?

I prefer an arm, but I thought my desk (an Ikea Micke) doesn't support it. Digging around Reddit, it looks like if I do some cutting on the backing, it would be fine though:

So I'll take recs for an arm then!

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

VelociBacon posted:

Why would you want the same resolution stretched even farther apart? At that size it must have the ppi of a 20" 1080p screen.

I have a 37.5" 3840x1600 monitor at work and it is incredible. I really like my X34P, but I will definitely get one of these whenever I can afford it (read: never).

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

When is this coming out? and dear god i hope it is less than $2k

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

How is the Alienware 34 inch G-Sync monitor? There's a sale on Ebay for like $585.

https://www.polygon.com/deals/2019/3/9/18256460/mario-day-gaming-deals-nintendo-switch-bundle-dell-monitor

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Rabid Snake posted:

That's the 2560x1080 @ 160hz version and not the 3440x1440 @ 120hz version. I don't think it's a good deal when the 1440p version has gone down to $700 when on sale. The DPI on a 34" 1080p monitor is pretty bad too.

Ah! Yeah, the 1440p one is the one I'm interested in. Thanks for the clarification.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

In this post-exclusivity world, what sort of advantages do I get if I go with a proper G-Sync monitor vs a FreeSync one that is known to work well with G-Sync?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Indiana_Krom posted:

Pretty much the only feature that remains mostly exclusive to G-Sync is variable overdrive. IIRC there is only one FreeSync monitor that supports it.

ULMB (back light strobe) might be another one, most 144+ gsync monitors should support it but it may not be as common in freesync monitors. But its a feature that almost nobody uses which requires disabling the variable refresh mode and losing about 40-60% of the total light output to use.

Thanks. I'm trying to look up information about variable overdrive, but I can't seem to figure out if it is important enough to pay the extra for a proper G-Sync monitor.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Ihmemies posted:

When is the LG 38" 3840x1600@144(175)Hz monitor coming out :f5:

I broke down and got the 60Hz LG 38" because I couldn't wait any longer and I have resigned myself to getting the 144Hz 38" when it comes out as well so farewell to all my desk real estate.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

TheFluff posted:

The LG 38GL950G? If you want a monitor within the next six months I wouldn't hold my breath. There's no release date and no pricing info available. TFTCentral wrote back in December that the last they heard was that mass production of the panel it'll use wouldn't start until Q2 2019 at the earliest, and many of these high refresh rate monitors have suffered significant delays. It'll probably be out in 2019, but it's hard to tell exactly when. As for price, its smaller brother the 34GK950G has an MSRP of $1400 (more realistically probably around $1200 though), so draw your own conclusions.

Did they also downgrade from G-Sync to just being FreeSync? I saw something about that on Reddit, but also, Reddit.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Holy hell, Acer just announced a 43" 144Hz 4k monitor with HDR10 and adaptive sync for ~$1200-$1500. That is an insane price considering the 27" version costs $2k.

I wonder what kind of panel they're using. That LG 38" 3840x1600 doesn't sound quite as hot anymore.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Ranter posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the acer is 16:9 AR whilst the LG we're salivating over is 21:9 ?

Yep, but the whole reason I wanted the LG was because of the extra vertical space (1600 vs 1440). Now this one has 2160 vs LG's 1600.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

What's the best 43" 4k monitor out right now? Coming from a 2560x1600 30" monitor, I really like that DPI and want something similar. If it helps, it'll just be for watching movies/shows and document editing.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Wibla posted:

I like the dell. Have you considered an ultrawide instead?

I tried a 3840x1600 at home (and have one at work), but the lack of vertical resolution (for the given size) was killing me.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Raygereio posted:

A screen like that doesn't exist for that price point. If you're willing to go down 60Hz, there's the Acer Predator XB271HK for around 600USD.:shrug:
But honestly, speaking from personal experience I don't think 4K at 27inch is worth it. I'd start checking out at 1440p displays.

Yeah, I'd really question the need for a 4k screen at 27". And do you have an RTX 2080 Ti that can drive current gen games at that high of a framerate?

That combo of HDR + high refresh rate + *sync is always going to keep prices well above $600, if not $1000, for the foreseeable future.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I feel like it's been months since all the announcements of 38" and larger G-Sync monitors. Is this just going to be vaporware at this point?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

beergod posted:

Is there any gaming monitor which won’t look like complete trash after using my oled tv? Would want 144hz and excellent hdr and gsync.

Do you have $5k?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14759/dell-launches-55-inch-alienware-oled-display

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Is it wrong and dumb of me to want to save a couple hundred bucks and get the LG OLED 55" TV with G-Sync instead?

55" seems absurdly huge for desktop use, but 38" also feels small for $1750 (and I already have one at work).

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

They’re different markets. This will do 175 Hz vs the 120 Hz (4K) of the OLED, and it’s curved, which will be better for desk sitters. But it’s also IPS and not OLED, and about a foot narrower (although again, curve, so the circumferential distance will be closer).

But yeah as a general point, the “premium” monitor market crosses over into the price range of a pretty nice TV. Some of that is because of pixel density, some of that is because people will pay it.

If LG drops it closer to $1000 (maybe a FreeSync version), maybe even up in the $1200-1400 range, I might be tempted, but $1900 is a little steep.

That makes total sense. If that OLED TV came in at 42" (4k equivalent of 30" 2560x1600), that would be an insta-buy for me.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

TheFluff posted:

OLED is still not a good idea for desktop use unless you do literally nothing except play games on the machine. Burn-in has gotten better but pure white in general (like the background of many web pages and programs, and many UI elements) is still really, really bad for OLED. You'll probably burn in the SA forums within a few years.

Ah drat, I guess that would complement my burn out of the SA forums as well.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Since I have given up waiting for a 42" 4k screen with G-Sync for now, what's the best 42" 4k screen I can get for coding/spreadsheets/streaming? I'll just use my laptop's 144Hz G-sync screen for gaming.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Any suggestions for mitigating burn-in on an OLED TV when using it as a monitor? So far, using an aggressive screensaver/screen off setting, , and hiding the Windows 10 toolbar seem to be the things I have found.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

The Big Bad Worf posted:

Use the lowest brightness you can tolerate, remove all icons from the desktop, use an all black background and a darker windows theme (that includes a darker / neutral text color). You already got the other stuff down, but also take care to remember that some apps will pause the screensaver timer in use, like games or media players, so don't assume the screensaver will save you every time.

I would probably try to avoid using a browser or standard windows stuff as much as possible to avoid burning in toolbars and tab titles into the screen. This would still take thousands of hours, but it's all cumulative, so the closer you can manage to stick to using it like a secondary screen that you send content to, the longer you'll be able to avoid burn in. Of course, on the TV itself, leave all of the burn in protection stuff on, I personally have the logo luminance adjustment set to high to help protect against unavoidable instances of window title bars being on the screen. Also keep in mind that use as a PC monitor is typically not recommended.

I do it anyway for my living room media PC, but it still gets varied contents (we use game consoles and dedicated media players more often than the PC), I accept the risk and acknowledge that I'll likely need to replace the TV sooner rather than later. "Sooner" in this case I expect to be some time in 4-5 years.

Thanks! By brightness, do you mean "Brightness" or "OLED Light"? Assuming you have an LG set with similar terminology.

I plan on using this for a while and then switching it to whatever comes out that actually matches my needs (42" 4k/144Hz with HDR would be ideal).

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Gaming and movies are amazing on OLED, but the burnout terrifies me. I only use my LG OLED 55" for movie/TV watching even though I have it hooked up to my computer.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Taima posted:

You’re making a terrible mistake not utilizing your OLED for gaming, especially if its a newer panel.

I’ve totally abused my C9 with hundreds of hours of gaming, leaving it on static HDR Windows desktop at full brightness for 30 minutes, you name a stupid thing, I’ve done it 50 times. TV looks as good as the day I bought it and shows literally no hint of issue under single-color burn in tests.

Guess what dude things exist to be used. You will die one day. Your TV will be poo poo the minute consumer-price microLED is here. PC gaming on OLED is orgasmically good (god-tier good if you also happen to have a graphics card that can use GSync with it, but not required).

Well, poo poo. Those are all really great points.

If I can ask, what settings are you using on your C9?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I've been using a Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD for a week now (coming from a 24" Dell) and have been pretty impressed. Super nice picture that didn't require much tinkering out of the box. Having more pixels is nice for side-by-side windows, and nicer for cleanly integer scaling old games.

My DisplayPort cable just arrived today so I was finally able to check out G-Sync for the first time. It's pretty amazing! I mostly just ran around gawking at Assassin's Creed Origins and the difference was remarkable. In the Nvidia control panel I chose "Enable for full screen mode" so I'm not sure if G-Sync is active if I'm not in a full screen game, or if having it active while using the desktop would be a bad thing.

You can enable G-Sync for both full screen and windowed and it will be just fine.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

After over 10 years on a 30" 2560x1600 Dell, I am convinced that specific PPI is perfect for me. As a result, a 4K/144Hz OLED at 43" would be an instant buy for me.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Just got this and it is amazing: https://www.pcgamer.com/rog-strix-xg17ahp-portable-monitor-review/

It's definitely not for every use case, especially at its price point, but it's perfect for what I need.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Are there any display cables that go from mini DisplayPort source to USB-C output? I'm trying to connect my Razer Blade 15 via its mini DisplayPort to a monitor that only supports DisplayPort over USB-C. It seems everything I find on Amazon only supports the opposite direction.

From a little further searching: https://www.startech.com/Search?search_term=Bidirectional+mini+DP+to+USB-C

It looks like they exist, but are expensive and I'll still have to get a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter.

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

DrDork posted:

Yeah, USB-C -> DP cables are <$20, but DP -> USB-C takes some processing, IIRC, and thus cables are more in the $40-$50 range. At least the miniDP -> DP adapters are like $7 or thereabouts.

Yeah, it's been a minute since I have had to deal with active cables.