Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Does anyone have experience with Wasabi Mango monitors? I'm strongly considering the UHD 490 to replace my aging 720p projector for gaming/movie/entertainment purposes.

I don't need a smart TV or anything like that, and supporting 4k60 over HDMI 2.0/DP1.3 should keep it in good shape while I'm sticking to 1080p until video cards catch up.

TIA for the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

All I know is a lot of the Wasabi models support FreeSync either out of the box or with a firmware update. So, consider Radeon cards as they'll smooth over any framerate drops if you do get them.

Also, compare the different models as they all source wildly different panels. A 42-inch model might be an LG IPS and a 40-inch model might be Samsung PLS, or whatever.

Ah, good call! It looks like it uses an LG AH IPS panel, so it should be pretty good quality?

xthetenth posted:

I think it was Tek Syndicate that did a video review and really liked the model they got. It seems like a solid price for a big 4K, which is tricky to get from other sources, and Freesync is a nice bonus (IE, if you have a good radeon option it's a value add, but don't disqualify it if you don't).

FreeSync is definitely part of why I looked into those - I'm definitely a fan of being able to get into that later on when 4k becomes more within reach for plebs like me. Until then, I will happily take 1080p with FreeSync for buttery goodness. Even a 50% increase in resolution in half the screen size will still look really really good. I don't need all the Vizio smart TV features since I have a Chromecast and a receiver with 4k60 passthrough, although the lack of local dimming may be worth the tradeoff for lower response time (I will have to see if my receiver screws with that at all as well, but in that case I can likely just route audio out through it).

All that, and it's difficult to make use of the limited space in my apartment decorating around a giant projector setup when I can't get ceiling access (they're 15 feet up and violates my lease to drill into it anyway).

Thanks again!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Deviant posted:

Doesn't seem to be working for me, but also, aren't amazon warehouse items usually returned? I imagine a monitor was returned for dead pixels and that's a concern.

A lot of times things are returned because they don't fit right or a sale went on a competing product the next day despite the original being fine. Refurbished/Warehouse stuff is usually fine.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hey thread! I haven't kept up very well lately and went through the OP, I just wanted to super ultra check on something.

I had been saving up for a Wasabi Mangi UHD 490 monitor - 49", 4k@60 with appropriate inputs, IPS panel. Apparently that model doesn't get made anymore and has been replaced with the Zen UHD 480. The panel type on this one is PVA, which kinda took me for a loop because I hadn't really heard about it before. It sounds like it has similar color quality to IPS panels, but I have heard mixed reviews about ghosting and things like that. Response time appears to be 5ms, so that is a positive.

Primary uses would be gaming (through my laptop and PS4) and streaming movies, so that's about it. I just wanted to make sure that it would be a decent choice before going whole hog on it.

Thanks!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I finally pulled the trigger on the Wasabi Mango UHD490.

It hits all my buttons specs wise (4K60, IPS, Freesync) and I'm using it for my TV in the living room rather than computer monitor so the size is a plus.

Any recommendations on how to test the panel? All the professional reviews on the UHD400 seem to be pretty positive, but there's not a ton of literature on the 490 and I'd like to post a trip report for the thread.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Trip report on the Wasabi Mango UHD490:

Colors are pretty good, but I think the gamma is a little high. BLB isn't anything special, not high not low, but in the middle. It isn't enough to really come into play during movies so far.

I need to pick up a pile of HDMI 2.0 cables to check make sure everything is good to go top to bottom.

All in, I'm very pleased. The Freesync and HDR10 features really pushed it ahead and are going to keep it in my living room for a good long time. If anything weird happens, I'll post it, but for my first Korean niche monitor purchase, I couldn't be happier.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

You might be able to do VGA to RCA? It's simple to convert RG6 terminated coaxial cable to RCA (just clip off the ends and use a compression tool to press on an RCA one). I know you can do long cable runs for audio like that, but I'm not sure about video composite signal.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I need help figuring something out, thread. Watching this 100% sick Overwatch gif on my gaming laptop is much much smoother than my 1080p external monitor. Both are 60Hz IPS panels, but my monitor is just way more choppy than my laptop even watching them side-by-side. What is going on here? I would like to know because I'm hoping to buy some monitors this year for home & work.

tyvm thread!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Prooooooooooobably super old because I bought it 2 years ago for $100 from a Best Buy because my much older monitor died. I didn't know that was what ghosting was. Knowing what it is has ruined my life now though.

e: tyvm Truga, you are a very nice goon.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 9, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Truga posted:

Ghosting is the thing where you can see several pictures of a moving thing on the screen, like so:

Obviously choppy isn't the correct term, but since everything turns into a mess of afterimages for high action things, it's easily percieved as choppy.

If your thing is just choppy with but not much visible ghosting, I'd say the problem's elsewhere, but heavy ghosting definitely feels off and not smooth.

I mean with stuff moving around as much as it does in Overwatch, I would imagine that's the case. And a $100 monitor two years ago probably isn't the best at anything (though definitely worth the purchase).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I needed an additional monitor (and desktop) in a pinch, and I ended up with the Asus MG248Q. Probably the best option Micro Center had within my budget for mixed modeling & gaming (I have an older IPS for color sensitive work). I'm extremely pleased with it, especially with the matte finish. Freesync with LFC, (too bad I have a 1080 in the desktop), 1080p, and 144Hz. And the best part is that it's not abhorrently gamer-y.

Not sure if it's the best deal for $250, but it might be if you have an AMD card.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I was extremely happy with my Asus M248Q monitor earlier. I didn't realize you had to turn on 144Hz in Windows (at least if you have mixed monitor refresh rates). I have learned what life without ghosting is like. It is good. I have now learned what life with 144Hz is like and that is extremely good.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That makes me sad.

I'm not sure I would have wanted this monitor for the $300 MSRP, but for $250 hell yeah. It's got much better color than my old work TN panel. Really nice adjustment, cable management, and OSD. It's really the little things that add up on it.

The Freesync with LFC makes me want to experiment with it very much. Hopefully in the near future I'll have enough available funds and the Ryzen APUs will be out for me to get weird on cheap console replacement builds.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

hats4cats posted:

I picked up a R9 380 on the cheap and want to get a gaming monitor to go with it. I have a Dell Ultrasharp for color sensitive work.

I'm looking for 24" 1080@144hz with Freesync. The Nixeus NX-VUE24A appears to have everything I want. Also, the one star reviews on amazon are not as bad as some of the other monitors with these features

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0131PBN6U/

Anyone have personal experience with this monitor/brand?

Another monitor in the same price range for consideration is the Asus MG248Q, I picked one up last month and I love it. Big thing to consider is that it's also 1080p 144Hz but with Low Framerate Compensation. Colors are good, the matte finish is great.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

If you'll settle for 2650x1080, these are excellent monitors and on sale for $230 each right now with NewEgg promo: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025516

What's the Freesync range on that? 40-75Hz? It's a little tough to research monitors on mobile.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Caught a review on a monitor that I would like very much, the Asus MX34VQ. Depending on where you get it, it's $720-$800. 3440x1440, VA, Freesync with LFC up to 100Hz, and oddly no vertical adjustment, just tilt. It's kinda extremely my poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIt_qwYRAJc

Only place I could find with it in stock.

I don't need it. I definitely don't need it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Are there any 3440*1440 G-Sync monitors that support HDR to pair with my GTX 1080? I saw Destiny 2 turned all the way up and kinda need that.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

xPanda posted:

I don't think there are yet, but at the end of the year there are supposed to be such monitors based on quantum dot displays. 200Hz, too.

Yeah I just saw the Asus PG35VQ (I think) and that looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Hopefully it's not like way past $1k

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

G-Sync HDR displays are almost certainly delayed until 2018
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/g-sync_hdr_displays_are_almost_certainly_delayed_until_2018/1

:negative:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

"10-bit" as commonly presented is actually two separate things - increased dynamic range and smaller graduations of color steps. If you take away the increased dynamic range all you've got is an increase in color fidelity - and nobody is dying because their lovely monitor only displays 16 million different colors instead of a billion.

In fact most 10-bit monitors aren't even really 10-bit, they're 8-bit with temporal dithering to try and increase the color space. Unless you're spending thousands of dollars on a top-of-the-line TV you're getting an 8-bit monitor with a 10-bit label on the box.

As for HDR, again, we can spread our increments more coarsely across the dynamic range without too much impact - again, we just "make 8 the loudest". There is no reason you need 10-bit to have HDR (and obviously you don't since most 10-bit monitors aren't actually 10-bit). Zone system, bitches.

Also, this increases your bandwidth requirements by 25%, during a point in time when we are already horrifically throttled by the DisplayPort standard. We can't even get 4K up to gaming speeds right now, let alone 10-bit 4K. If it's a choice between 120 Hz 4K and 90 Hz 4K, I know which standard most people are going to pick.

Pretty sure there's also very little 10-bit content out there, as well.

I'm pretty comfortable declaring it to be a gimmick at this point in time. Maybe it'll be a thing in 5 years.

So just getting one of the already available GSync 3440*1440 monitors like the predator is the way to go instead of holding out for the HDR ones next year?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Keshik posted:

Can someone talk me out of buying this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016GNX4SE/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I12JKKLDW68II3&colid=2S115Z27EZZ50

For my desktop with a 970?

I have persuaded myself to just grow a pair and drop about a thousand dollars or so on a monitor, but I don't know if I should be getting something better, or should hold out for something coming out soon.

Do I wait for G-Sync HDR? All I know is it's delayed. Are we talking a couple of months or a couple of quarters?

I bring you this helpful post, which was helpful for me:

Paul MaudDib posted:

"10-bit" as commonly presented is actually two separate things - increased dynamic range and smaller graduations of color steps. If you take away the increased dynamic range all you've got is an increase in color fidelity - and nobody is dying because their lovely monitor only displays 16 million different colors instead of a billion.

In fact most 10-bit monitors aren't even really 10-bit, they're 8-bit with temporal dithering to try and increase the color space. Unless you're spending thousands of dollars on a top-of-the-line TV you're getting an 8-bit monitor with a 10-bit label on the box.

As for HDR, again, we can spread our increments more coarsely across the dynamic range without too much impact - again, we just "make 8 the loudest". There is no reason you need 10-bit to have HDR (and obviously you don't since most 10-bit monitors aren't actually 10-bit). Zone system, bitches.

Also, this increases your bandwidth requirements by 25%, during a point in time when we are already horrifically throttled by the DisplayPort standard. We can't even get 4K up to gaming speeds right now, let alone 10-bit 4K. If it's a choice between 120 Hz 4K and 90 Hz 4K, I know which standard most people are going to pick.

Pretty sure there's also very little 10-bit content out there, as well.

I'm pretty comfortable declaring it to be a gimmick at this point in time. Maybe it'll be a thing in 5 years.

HDR as "a thing" is still a Hindenburg-level mess because apparently you can diddle with the existing 8 bit color space for "10" bits of color. Like how some TV's and monitors will strobe the backlight and advertise double the actual refresh rate.

On top of that, HDR IPS GSync monitors are delayed by like a full year.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

HDR will be cool and good once:

We figure out which standard to use (10-bit most likely)

Then manufacturers and content creators can make things for that standard.

After a while, it will become a standard feature and we won't have to worry about faking it with color dithering, but probably not until we have another Olympics or two out of the way.

And then we might have regular 4k60 capable cards and adaptive sync monitors to match, so we can upgrade on that one then.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Finally got the funds available for an upgrade and wanted to double-check the link to a monitor purchase before I pull the trigger:

https://acerrecertified.com/acer-lcd-widescreen-monitor-34-display-ips-uw-qhd-screen-led-g-sync-60-hz/

I had initially wanted the Asus ROG PG348Q, but it's a couple hundred bucks (even recertified) that don't really seem worth it. Anything I need to know? Like 100Hz+G-Sync can be active at the same time? I was just going to grab it with the 2 year warranty to make sure everything is kosher.

Ehh tax kinda hinks things up a little bit. I guess this is where I'm at thought-wise:

1) Refurb Acer X34: 3 month warranty - $805
2) Refurb Asus PG348: 6 month warranty - $950
3) Refurb Acer X 34: 2 year warranty - $904

Anything to help figure out this 3-way tie would help out! I don't know if the Asus is that much better than the Acer or if there are other factors to consider. Thanks again!

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 2, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

DrDork posted:

I haven't heard much about anyone's X34 making GBS threads the bed after break-in (or at all, really), so I'd be prone to suggest the 3 month warranty, especially since you can often argue your way to an extended warranty through your credit card. One thing to pay attention to is the return policy from wherever you're looking to purchase, to ensure you don't end up having to get stuck with a panel with some noticeable dead pixels because it would cost you $150 to return it or whatever.

I'd skip the ASUS because it's not functionally different from the X34--same panel and everything. The only real difference is the OSD, which is a bit nicer, but you're going to use that all of once to enable overclocking to 100Hz and then leave it there forever, so I don't see that as being worth $100+. If you think the aesthetic difference is worth the price...well I guess that's on you.

That's awesome! I was just going to pick it up from Acer Recertified, the only thing I guess I'm worried about then are dead pixels. It looks like 2-5 dead pixels are acceptable? This is the most I've spent on a monitor (or TV, I guess) so I'm just a little nervous.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, just now saw that. Guess I was kinda lucky this morning. I have NowInStock alerts going now, though.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Neat monitor from AOC: https://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/james-morris/aoc-agon-ag322qcx-144hz-freesync-31-5in-curved-gaming-monitor-review/

31.5", curved, 144Hz 1440p with an MVA panel, FreeSync with LFC, so that kinda rules. Looks like it's around GBP470 with VAT included. Could be one of "the good ones" for FreeSync implementations.

Big bad review here: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-ag322qcx/

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ItBurns posted:

Sisyphus buys a monitor.

This is the baby shoes of monitor buying.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

A couple new ASUS monitors heading our way:

https://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/matthew-wilson/asus-announces-two-new-rog-freesync-monitors/

Probably an IPS panel for the ~$800 Freesync one? Hopefully it has LFC.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

BurritoJustice posted:

They're both VA.

Lame! Thanks for the clarification, though.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Koramei posted:

Huh, why is freesync so much cheaper than gsync? is it a lot worse?

There's no strict implementation structure, so there are god awful implementations and really good ones. GSync also requires a special module. Freesync 2 is a lot more strict, but I haven't seen anything with it announced.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It owns extremely hard.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Q8ee posted:

isn't 165Hz enough?

Gotta get those bigger numbers, my friend. Ever higher numbers!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Alienware AW2518H 240-Hz G-Sync monitor is on sale for $350

TN, 1080p, but not a bad price for a G Sync:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienw....P5Jx1N0Zv_Dpqg

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Looking to pick up three Dell UltraSharp U2518DX for the office. Going to be doing photoshop, graphic design, CAD, and coding work on them. Good choice? They're $280 at my local Micro Center, seems like a pretty good deal for color accurate 1440p monitors.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Trip report on the Dell Ultrasharp U2518DX:

I hadn't run into Windows scaling fuckery before, but I guess with a 3200*1800 laptop and 1440p external, it finally showed up. I'll be changing laptops soon, so hopefully it resolves soon. Meanwhile I'll take a few dialog screens being weirdly large.

The screen is great for CAD work. It's right in the sweet spot for size and resolution, so that's been great.

I had also underestimated the usefulness of its built in USB hub. Until we start getting some more cash flow, it definitely helps with not having USB-C docks.

I don't do a ton of color sensitive work, but while catching up on E3 videos the color calibration has been really nice.

For productivity work, I'm really pleased with it for $280!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I just picked up 3 Dell Ultrasharp U2518DX monitors for my office the other day for $280 from Micro Center. 1440p, 60Hz, and $280.

3 year warranty and out of the box color calibration, but 25".

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I set it to 200% I think - it's looking pretty good. Every once in a while a dialog box doesn't like it, but it's not really hindering my day to day.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gerdalti posted:

I use DF these days and like it. What's UWs?

Ultrawide monitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My Acer Predator X34 bit the bullet. The only thing I can think of that did it was spraying out a cat hair a few months ago, but that was a few months ago. I'm looking at alternatives in case the repair bill is more than I can stomach and it seems like the AOC CU34G2X and Acer XV340CK are kinda my best options. Reviews are a little tough to come by, though.

Anyone out there with experience on these? I do like the IPS panel on the Acer, but I'm not sure if I'm going to miss the curve of the Predator more. Either way, the specs on these are pretty impressive.