Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Arikie posted:

Does anyone have anything to say about the Pixo PX277 27-inch 2560x1440 on Amazon? It seems too good to be true and I'm having trouble finding reviews. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPDAF68/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=HIMVBWICC4GV&coliid=IK8R5A0JI710X

The only relevant things google got me relating to pixio monitors seems to be amazon and the website itself https://www.buypixio.com/products/px277. I might just be awful at searching but I can't seem to find a review for it.

I do plan on using it with an AMD card if I get it.

I suspect there is something wrong with the Pixio so I'm probably going to end up buying an Acer XG270HU instead.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XG270HU...ync+1440p+144hz

I plan to use it for Gaming and light video and graphics work. It's been a very long time since I have bought a monitor so I'm trying to get as much research and as many second opinions as possible.
I'm trying to spend less then $500
Considering that the product images look photoshopped, I'd say it probably is too good to be true.

edit: After a closer look, that Pixio monitor is definitely a scam.

LogicalFallacy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

I'm looking at the LG 34UM67 and the Acer KN242HYL on Newegg right now. I'm thinking of getting them both and trying to find a dual monitor stand that will let me put the Acer above the LG. Any thoughts on this? I'd be sort of okay with sticking with my current monitor (Samsung S22E310) as a secondary instead of getting the Acer, but I don't think I could stand having a TN right next to an IPS, and with the sale right now, both monitors would total a mere $500.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Thought better of my dual monitor stand plan. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced (under $100) desk mount that will give me the clearance to hold the KN242HYL above the 34UM67? Also, are there any glaring issues with either of those monitors? I'm pulling the trigger tonight, so please let me know soon if there are.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Alright. One more shot at this. I just bought a couple monitors (34" and 24"). I would like to mount the 24 above the 34. What is a good reasonably priced desk mount for doing so?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

I've got one of my monitors on a desk mount recommended by PerrineClostermann (thanks again by the way), and it is fantastic to have. I would have both screens on it, but apparently the surface of a plastic folding table isn't rigid enough to support them without buckling. As soon as I move and have a proper wooden desk again they will both go up.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Apparently I'm a bit of a odd duck. I've got my secondary directly above my main, though generally the stuff that goes there is stuff I'm not looking at that often.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

priznat posted:

On another topic, does anyone do a mounting setup with a curved ultrawide above and a flat 24" below? I was thinking of doing that with the flat 24" being the gaming monitor and the ultrawide desktop and coding. Then eventually replace with another curved ultrawide when I get a vid card that can drive the resolution in games.
I have that setup, but with the ultrawide on the bottom as my gaming monitor. I only push games to the 24" when I'm recording. I've got a gtx 970 pushing everything though, and I've found that pretty much everything I have that can hit 60 fps max settings on the 24" can still manage it on the 34".

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

I would like to point out from personal experience that setting a game to fullscreen while it's on the secondary monitor does not necessarily stick it there. It depends entirely on the game.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Yo thread, I'm contemplating buying an X34 or similar fairly soon here to upgrade my set-up, and am curious as to what's a good 2560x1440 screen to pair with it.
For clarification, my current set-up is a 1080p ultrawide with a regular 1080p widescreen mounted above it. I'd keep my current secondary monitor, but I imagine the massive ppi difference would drive me absolutely nuts.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Well poo poo. Now I (slightly) regret having ordered one through Amazon yesterday. Ah well, I'm sure all regrets will wash away when I get it and set it up Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

In my experience, (upgrading from 2560x1080), it largely depends on the game. Ideally, games that don't natively support 21:9 will pillarbox for you, but quite a few do other weird things such as stretching. A lot of newer games still don't properly support it, but it is a bit of a niche market. http://www.wsgf.org/mgl is a good source to see what you sort of have to deal with.