Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Right now my desktop uses 3x FHD displays. I'm building a new desktop as the parts roll in this week and I'm thinking of going to 2x 4K displays ~27-28 inches

I browse the internet, stream sports/netflix, chat on IRC. I've been familiarizing myself with some of the stuff out there like gsync and refresh rates and I'm trying to figure out what a good way to go is. I'd like to game in 4K resolution and tomorrow a GTX 1080ti is being delivered so I guess I'll have the card for it.

I'm not really a super serious gamer though, as far as how much time I can spend doing it. Just want stuff to look nice. I'm bad at video games so idk if I'd get much benefit from super duper input latency or whatever. My concerns right now are upgrading in size (running 22-23 inchers atm) and resolution. I don't do any photo editing or video editing and don't care about things like USB hubs or speakers or PIP.

While I have 3 monitors I generally only use two (which is why I'm switching to two). The third one I use almost exclusively for watching TV etc on and I'm thinking I can probably accomplish the same thing on a larger and higher resolution monitor and eliminate the 'need' for the third.

E: for example is there a reason given what i've said that i wouldn't be happy with 2x of the 28 inch 4k monitors here? https://morningsave.com/deals/aoc-computer-monitors-refurbished-

Worf fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Atomizer posted:

Recently, on Woot and Meh they've sold 28" UHD displays (refurb'd, originally from the past few years) which are more or less basic monitors (not much in the way of extra features, maybe a VESA mount and USB hub here and there) but I've found to be a good entry into UHD, all in the $200-300 range. If you wanted to get a couple of them that would be a good place to start, to wait for any future sales, but otherwise I'd recommend the 1xUHD and 1xgaming-specific monitor route.

Fair nuff re: the refresh rate stuff. I've never used anything but whatever displays, the only 'nice' diisplay I've ever used as far as I know is on the xps13 I have.

https://morningsave.com/deals/aoc-computer-monitors-refurbished- I assume that thats a pretty good deal (sub-$200) for that 28 inch UHD?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I've been thinking of going the 1440p route too because it seems to offer more options that contain gsync and are actually the size that i want, and I suspect that there probably isn't a gigantic difference in how games look at 1440p vs 4k though i have nothing to really base that on

as far as UI scaling, i dont think any single program i uses has UI scaling problems. all i use is chrome and video games

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I've never ordered from morningsave.com, whats their shipping like? the place order button comes before any mention of shipping times or anything lol.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Atomizer posted:

So as Rexxed said, Morningsave is a "division" of Meh, which is the old Woot. Shipping is as it used to be: you place the order, and they generally get around to shipping something out within a week or so, but it's wildly variable. I've ordered more from Meh than Morningsave (and tons from Woot over the past decade+, both pre- and post-Amazon, but that's besides the point here) but have had two contrasting experiences from the latter: my second order was as you'd expect, but the first was awful. They took forever to ship something via the slow boat, and when it finally arrived after a total of about three weeks it was completely wrong; customer service eventually helped me out (refund only, they ran out of stock) but it took them a few days to respond every time, which was pretty ridiculous. Most of my experiences have been perfect, but this one really stuck out; it's not something that would prevent me from continuing to orders stuff from Meh/MS, but it'll always be in the back of my mind.

Thank you for the feedback all. I think I will avoid this particular vendor for this purchase, if for no other reason than prime shipping.

Also the item is only $230 for a new one vs 199 for a refurb so, pennywise and pound foolish etc

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

So I've been reading this thread and trying to internalize the info. I have a gtx1080ti married to a 8700k, I'm sort of gathering that even with that being said I might have trouble pushing 4k at a decent refresh rate while gaming (new games, ultra) with gsync and all that, but that I can grab a 1440p with gsync and uhm..good hertz.. and probably have a better experience? Then for my second/multitask monitor i can just do whatever?

I recall a post about windows acting funky if its pushing 2 different resolutions, so maybe it would be smart to just grab 2 x1440 monitors, one thats great for games, and another thats going to be more apt for shitposting and memeing?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The idea of 144hz whatever whatever is appealing to me but I feel like I'd be leaving some graphics power on the table by not going for 4k with the system that I have :(

Been eyeing this https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB321HK-bmiphz-Widescreen/dp/B01A3N60A2

E:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11701/acer-and-asus-delay-their-4k-144-hz-gsync-hdr-displays-to-2018

seems like these might be something worth waiting for? my biggest difficulty is trying to decide between 144hz or 4K and they both sound pretty great sooo

Worf fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 7, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I have a 1080ti and have no qualms throwing a second one in there tho

Is that going to struggle doing aaa titles at 4k?

Worf fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 7, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

My entire setup is a waste of money since all i do is shitpost and talk on irc

That isn't a helpful remark re: 4k on a 1080ti tho

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Idk what that is and googling it comes up with an android app and other unrelated things

E: took a stab and added nvidia to it and guessed right. In the mean time i still need a monitor so

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

This is a good answer. I have no problem waiting til summer to finish off this setup. So what would be a good stop gap? I have a secondary machine I can throw the 1080ti into when the new cards come out.

In the mean time I guess something like a 27 inch dell 1440/144hz with gsync would be good? Cheap and will remain useful even after I upgrade to ampere.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

im sure the manual will telly ou

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

dont you also have to be playing the game in full screen

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

DemonMage posted:

A number of games are flakey using GSync in windowed mode though. So definitely swap to full screen if you're having trouble to eliminate that as a possibility.

is there a list of these somewhere perhaps?

i exclusively play games in windowed (windowed borderless @ native res) so i can easily do other stuff too

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't noticed any games having problems with windowed gsync, but I'd give up gsync long before I gave up windowed borderless! Must be able to browse in the 60 seconds or whatever downtime between matches.

this exactly

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Atomizer posted:

I have to ask, what's the point of windowed and windowed/borderless modes over fullscreen? I just Alt+Tab to get in & out of games (between rounds, or to consult guides, etc.) and don't have to worry about mouse capture issues or anything like that.

Elentor posted:

I alt-tab constantly multiple times per match and it can be pretty annoying over time. Between 1-3 seconds and a few milliseconds of delay there's no reason to choose the former.

Also, alt-tabbing crashes a lot in fullscreen mode and that has been the case ever since... well, probably ever, I don't think that's ever not been the case with games. I'm almost sure borderless windowed exists purely to address that issue. If you type in "alt tab fullscreen crash" on google you'll see 700k or so results ranging all the way back to 2002. Giving full priority of the game in exclusive mode means that if anything happens with the driver during gameplay you'll have trouble getting back to windows depending on the case. Not sure that's still the case but there was a time Unity even warned you against allowing exclusive mode because of alt-tab crash when you were adjusting your game settings.

pretty much this.

i dont differentiate playing games vs posting vs chatting or anything else i do when im not working- its just all things i do at the same time on different screens. the difference becomes considerably more pronounced on multi monitors, imo

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Any idea if those monitor mounts would latch on to something like this?

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2617635/cosco-48-inch-vinyl-top-folding-table.jsp?pfm=rrrecs-pdp-gtab1

I have a secondary station set up and itd be kinda neat to use it on there. I figure it might if I put a small plank of wood for it to grab onto maybe? Idk, I've never had a monitor on anything but the stock stand.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

FyreStar posted:

Good question. I presume that table has a rim on the underside? If so, then it depends on how big that rim is. The underside clamp isn't as big as on the top side, and you have some wiggle room in terms of aligning it. Here's a couple images of one of mine:
From side
From below with measure
If the rim is thin, then it should work fine. That table also looks pretty light, so give some thought to whether it'd stay stable with a display on an arm. Normal use shouldn't be an issue, but if you grab it and swing it around off the edge of the table, you might tip the table.

Thank you v much for taking and posting those

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

What's the go to for a gaming 1080p? Would like to keep it under $300. Looking to drive it with a GTX 1060.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HSD6CBC/?tag=pcpapi-20 refurbed

or the same thing new for $350. 24 inch/144hz/gsync

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ive never heard of fullscreen exclusive mode but does it basically mean the computer will force the game to remain open on that screen so i can multi task in others without fuckery?

to the benefit of increased framerates possibly?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

What power supply do you have?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I was thinking maybe he's pushing more frames and poopin his psu :shrug:

Same poo poo would happen to me back in the day when i strapped a gpu too big for my psu's britches

E: also is this all haswell chips? I just set aside my old haswell machine to go to server duty, ffs

Worf fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 12, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Thermopyle posted:

That is not the relevant distinction. The distinction between "inconvenience" and "works as intended but not as end user wishes" is the relevant distinction.

I mean, if I designed my application to randomly lose all the data I had inputted it would be working normally...

ah, so you're the one who designed some of my systems at work

e: good news: they're working as intended

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

So in essence it sounds like theres no real reason to buy a monitor right now it sounds like. At least not one with gsync/144hz etc, if I can push 4k

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

SourKraut posted:

I think ASUS and Acer did last year, saying later this year, but they're probably going to cost $1800-$2000+.

Oh f that. I dont care enough

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Scholtz posted:

Can you push 4K @ >144fps, though?

It sounds like the monitors are going to be like 1800-2k each so its moot- i'm not going to drop $2k on a first gen of a product like that, especially not a monitor

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Vomik posted:

Yeah I noticed that it was mostly LG pushing monitors with thunderbolt although that new dell 3818 has thunderbolt input. It’s god drat massive though at 38” which is both a pro and a con I guess, depending on desk measurements.

I mean, if you buy a car too big for your garage it isn't really the car's fault

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

HanSpree IPS probably lol

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

RIP-S

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Lawl. So its bullshit. I actually got one but will probably just send it back without taking it out the box. Thanks!

i would A) open it and B) use it if it seems good

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dell 4K S2817Qr 28-Inch Screen for $279 new seems like a good deal yes?

E: lol they dont charge tax either so that trigger= pulled

If its viewing angle is too lovely for me ill return it but ive been wanting an el cheapo 4k screen as a secondary and this seems to fit that

Worf fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 22, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If you tell us what you plan on using it for itll be easier to identify pros and cons for you

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I've considered this and came to the conclusion that i was probably best off with a dell or hp all in one pc or something

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i just bought a couple of dell monitors, is there a reason for me to use DP or HDMI over the other? right now i just have them both set up for DP

one is a 144 hz/gsync one and the other is just a regular ol 4k

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i bought a 2 pack of DP cables because i didnt know that both monitors would come with every single type of cable they supported lol

ty dell, would buy again

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If im running a 4k panel at 125% whats my effective resolution

Im bad at math

Also most other things

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

nice. its on a 28 inch dell panel i got for $240 new off amazon. its good for having up all the different websites and chats i use

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

whenever im depressed i just go to the mall and buy the latest iphone

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I have a dell s2716 27/144hz

It is decent and wasnt very expensive ($420 smoke hertz errday)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Waltzing Along posted:

Dell S2716DGR is pretty good, right?

I have one as my gaming screen. My only complaints are about the usb ports on it are in a poopy spot imo. But who gives a poo poo.

The stand/mount setup is top tier