Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

VulgarandStupid posted:

So the dual monitor arm I got a little while back is destroying my cheap Ikea desk top. I have a standing adjustable desk and will likely need to replace the desktop with something that isn't particle board. Does anyone know where I can get a solid wood desktop, countertop or butcherblock for cheap?

IKEA. Gerton is a solid wood table top. Check out their kitchen tops as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

AgentCow007 posted:

I got a 4k LG monitor a few weeks ago, and noticed an issue with the display blacking out for a second, usually about a minute after turning it on. Is this kind of a normal thing for DisplayPort, or should I be worried about the monitor dying? I had been using DVI up until now with no problems, although I had bought and returned a pair of 1440p Dell monitors a few months ago and recall that they did the same thing on DP, possibly even more frequently/randomly. I'm driving everything with a GTX 760 so it's a bit long in the tooth but it seems to work OK otherwise.

Try a better/shorter cable.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Those conversions always tend to look really unsteady and not smooth at all as soon as there are bigger movements on screen. Looks really bad even in their demo footage.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I have two 27" 4k monitors set to 125% scaling. Most applications are fine, but a small handful are plagued by blurry fonts. NAPS2, a scanning utility I use, for example. In general, it's fine.

..btt posted:

My impression is Windows does a great job but some apps are bad.

Quite a few parts of Windows don't scale well: Just open a network adapter's settings and look at how blurry the dialog is.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

..btt posted:

I mean, if you told Windows to use 125% scaling, you literally told it to make apps blurry if they don't support variable dpi. No doubt the new Windows 10 network adapter screen scales correctly.

Yes, and I'm saying that not all parts of Windows support variable DPI. Funnily enough, the "Status" dialog does, but not the "Properties" dialog. Also, the new network adapter screen is still pretty useless.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Space Racist posted:

but be aware of how it'll fit your desk setup if you're considering it.

The LG 27UD58P-B variant of that monitor has a fully adjustable stand that's also much more stable than the half moon stand (but how much more it costs depends on your region, in some it's insignificant, in others it's quite a bit of markup).

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The pro choice is to have one landscape and one portrait anyway.

That seems like a bad choice for most applications.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

It brags about a large gamut, but isn’t HDR, boo.

Wide color gamut has been a thing for much longer than HDR.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Pretty much no display does integer scaling, from what I've seen.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

TheFluff posted:

I don't think I can recall ever seeing a dead pixel on an IPS panel.

They're still pretty common, especially on cheaper IPS displays. I've seen plenty.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

loudog999 posted:

I play my PS4 Pro on an old Dell 1080 monitor. I like being able to play on a monitor so I can have something else on the big screen, mostly spongebob since I have a 5 year old daughter. Is there a good monitor in the $300 range that can show off the capabilities of the Pro, 4K or HDR? I'm old so I'm not that nit picky but I think this aging assed monitor is starting to show its age and Christmas is coming up so I can start dropping hints to the wife.

The LG 27UD58 is a cheap 4k/UHD IPS monitor with 2x HDMI 2.0 ports as well as a DisplayPort. It's surprisingly good: https://www.amazon.com/LG-27UD58-B-...L70_&dpSrc=srch (enable HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color in the menu for 4k support with HDMI).

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

funny way to spell posted:

4K monitors with 3 HDMI inputs? I would like HDMI for 2 consoles and PC.

The LG IPS ones have 2x HDMI 2.0 and 1x DisplayPort.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Standards for TVs tend to be way lower in terms of responsiveness and AV reviewers mostly don't know what they're talking about. Also, VA viewing angles tend to be fine.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 8, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

loudog999 posted:

I have been using the LG 24UD58-B and have a Logitech speaker system hooked up through the audio port on the back of it. I have been hearing a hissing sound coming from the speakers when I have them above half volume for a while now. I thought the speakers were just messing up but tonight I hooked them to my ipad just to check, and no hissing now matter what volume setting. Is this a known issue with some monitor audio ports? Are they not grounded or something? I have until Jan 21 to return this monitor if that is the case.

Edit: I just talked to Amazon and am still in the return window so I am sending it back. So I guess now I need a good recommendation for at 27+ inch that would be good for a PS4 Pro since I only game on my monitor due to my TV being a dedicated Spongebob machine for my daughter. Im getting a $294 refund plus he gave me $25 Amazon credit so thats around my budget. I could probably go about $100 more. Its kind of a blessing cause I was finding the 24 inch a little too cramped.

Monitor audio ports are pretty much always bad. If it's just about your Playstation, get a cheap USB sound card and use that to output audio from your PS to your speakers.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
100% is certainly way too small for a 27", many dialog fonts become tiny. I'm running mine at 125%, which is pretty comfortable to use for me. And 150% is about the level a 1440p 27" monitor is at.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

0toShifty posted:

I have a no-name LCD monitor that I bought in 2003. 1280x1024. Still works. I use it at work because square ratio monitors are unusual now. Windows ME and DOS doesn't look right on a widescreen.

I used to play World of Warcraft on a 19" 5:4 monitor like that. After switching to a widescreen display, the amount of space available for additional action bars was mind-blowing to me back then.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

VelociBacon posted:

You don't even need a discreet gpu to use those. Nothing special required so long as your motherboard has displayport/hdmi if that's what the monitor uses.

e: assuming your CPU is somewhat modern.

Well, depends. I have a small PC with an i7-7700T (HD Graphics 630) and it certainly chugs severely with two 4k monitors connected as soon as UHD video comes into play (the difference in snappiness is very noticeable - moving browser tabs etc.) compared to my gaming PC. 1440p ultra wide, on the other hand, should be fine.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
For a higher resolution ultrawide, you want to also check your motherboard's Displayport to ensure it supports resolutions that high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

K8.0 posted:

The fact that it didn't entirely disappear during the period between your posts would have me warrantying the monitor if possible. That's seriously hosed up. It's normal to never see any kind of image retention on IPS.

Short-term retention is very common with IPS screens, especially ones on laptops. But, typically, it vanishes after a few minutes.