Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm already sorta regretting going for my second and third 24" monitors instead of a giant 30", so here's hoping Eyefinity is really sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I want to buy a cheap 1920x1200 monitor, but the cheapest one on ebuyer (I'm in the UK) is around £200 as opposed to £100 for a 1920x1080. Should 120 pixels really cost me £100, or is there a cheaper option available for 1920x1200?

The 10% height difference is noticeable to me. 16:9 does look unnaturally wide, but only because I've been using 16:10 for years.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

My U2410 rotates to portrait, I can do both :smug:
Ugh, I forgot to check if my HP ZR24W pair can do this. Oh well, with three 24" IPS panels I won't exactly be hurting for space.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If anyone cares, I got the HPZR24w pair to line up 95% with my LG L245W's colour. I set them all to sRGB but had to desaturate the red on the PVA, which also fails to match the IPS on yellow. Better than I expected for IPS and PVA on the same desk, but with these three monsters there's scarcely any room for my speakers, control pod and SATA dock.

... it's wickedly excessive.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 5, 2011

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've noticed something annoying about the ZR24w units. Whenever I turn one off using the soft switch on the front, the USB hub turns off. Windows also assumes that there is no display there any more and relocates any open windows.

Is there firmware or something that corrects this issue?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What's strange is that my years-older LG L245W has no such issue. The monitors are directly across from my bed so waiting for them to sleep naturally isn't an option, and neither is waking up to an uncharged iPod so I have to go to the gym without tunes.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm starting to think the extra money for the U2410 is for time spent with useability testing. The ZR24w has an ability to go into sleep mode through the OSD menu, but it will only wake up when you push a button that isn't the power button. This makes the power LED blink obnoxiously. Installing the monitor drivers doesn't keep the USB hub on when you power it off either.

What's really a piss-off is that turning off display 3 / right (DVI) doesn't shift my windows to 1 / center, but turning off 2 / left (Displayport) does.

TurnOffLCD.exe does the trick, but I'm probably going to pick up DisplayFusion Pro at some point. It's too bad my friend just left the Windows 8 useability team so I can't get him to sneak in half the features :v:

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 7, 2011

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does the Windows picture viewer use some kind of oddball colour palette? On my IPS panels it looks just slightly bluish vs. solid white, but on my PVA panel it has some weird cream colour to the whites.

Both panel types are set to sRGB and I cannot for the life of me tweak the reds on the PVA to overcome this problem. Am I stuck renting a colorimeter? I'd almost rather buy another IPS and try to pawn my PVA off, but that's $500.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

DrDork posted:

Picture Viewer is a color managed application. It's probable that you've got messed up color profiles applied for your monitors, causing the difference. By contrast, IE is not color managed, so you shouldn't see as much of a difference in images there.
The only colour management I'm using in software is lowering red levels on that panel through Catalyst. Using the panel OSDs everything is set to sRGB. Where else would those profiles be managed?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thanks, that did it. Setting all three panels to sRGB and dropping the reds on the PVA has put them almost on equal footing as far as white goes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm looking to replace my triplet of CFL-lit 24" 16:10 monitors as they're getting on ten years old and the power draw / desk footprint is too big. I'd like to buy something absolutely top of the line, 4K+ ultrawide and high / variable refresh with good colour accuracy. Ideally, upscaled 1080p content will look good too. The idea behind ultrawide is that I can get two normal-sized windows side-by-side when working and still see a browser / etc outside a game window that's running 16:9.

What are my options? Does such a display even exist inside four figures? I don't care if I have to buy a 2080Ti to power it (was going to anyway as this PC is on a 1070 from 2016 and is due for a mid-life refresh).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

TheDK posted:

I upgraded to IPS from TN and was blown away. I did not think the difference would be as noticeable, and now I can never go back.
The more things change...

IPS > VA > TN is a huge jump at each step up and has been since I got my first 17" Planar (in that weird 5:4 res I can't even remember).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there anything extant or upcoming that competes with the overall quality of the Samsung Odyssey G7 but isn't curved? An internal power supply would be a bonus. I almost went for the Dell S2721DGF as it's on deep discount but the contrast / light bleed through black in review videos really turned me off.

My main issue is that I'm still rocking 3x1 HP ZR24w's and while I know I need to say goodbye to 16:10 I really like 3x1 for the organization, and I have arms that will go up to 15lbs installed.

I don't want to try pushing an Odyssey G9 with a 1070 non-GTX non-Ti and I'm unsure of how games will react to borderless window mode at 16:9 centered.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 7, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

K8.0 posted:

There is nothing that is going to give you insanely great contrast, it doesn't exist in LCDs. TN contrast is absolute trash, IPS contrast is very mediocre, and VA contrast/gamma shifting looks like total rear end if you ever get more than 10-15 degrees off-center from any part of the panel. That said, there are plenty of options that have more contrast than LG panels. Also, you cannot tell poo poo about the performance of monitors from digital photography and videos in conditions that aren't necessarily anything like yours. The reality is, all the non-LG IPS gaming panels pretty much BTFO any monitor more than 5 years old, and even the LG gaming panels are generally at least equal in contrast/consistency to anything more than 5 years old while having excellent performance. People have crazy beliefs about the contrast of old monitors. They all sucked rear end. A VA Ultrasharp from 10 years ago has notably worst contrast than an LG gaming IPS of today, even when sitting in the "ideal" zone. It might have better backlight consistency, though.
Alright I'll reframe this: Am I going to be happier with one Odyssey G7 in the middle flanked by the old HP's, or with replacing all three of them with those Dells? I have an east-facing apartment that gets a tonne of sunlight to the point that indoor areas in Escape from Tarkov are almost impossible to see in without a flashlight or night vision, and it gets marginally better when my computer area is lights-out.

I know anything will be an upgrade but ideally I want this next set to last another decade, and everyone talks about the G7 being head and shoulders above every other gaming monitor if you can tolerate the curve. 3x1 of those, in addition to being insanely expensive, will wrap clear around my head, so that's out.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
^^^ Thank you!

Sorry, meant non-Ti.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I just want it in flat 27" because 27" 4K seems to be an afterthought.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thanks; that was all new info to me. Now I just have to figure out if I want to write off these arms for an ultra wide, or hope VESA 100x100 and weight limits can carry me to a larger size.

Should have gone Ergotron so weight wasn't an issue, but I went Monoprice instead and have to deal with jiggle at ~10lbs (my current set).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
When I manage to hit 60Hz solid I really notice the different. The Division 2 can have storms sweep in that massively reduce the draw distance and let me pin at 60Hz native, whereas most of the time I'm at ~50fps because I have the game turned up to max.

My number one artifact I can't stand is tearing. I'll VSync down to 30 if that's what it takes to stop it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Can I drive 4K >60Hz with Displayport 2.0? I'm pretty sure that's what I went with, but given the length for my leftmost monitor I might have 1.4a.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is HDR even a thing I need to worry about for gaming, or am I looking at new HDMI cables to drive a 4K HDR >60Hz display? Most GPUs don't even have three HDMI ports so that's a killer for a 3x1 setup right there.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

repiv posted:

Most PC monitors have just plain bad HDR so even if you want it, it's not worth using

If you did want to run 4K120 HDR you'd have to use HDMI 2.1, and yeah no GPU has three of those outputs
Good to know; Rtings shits all over PC monitor HDR ratings and I never see a good one, so I'll just start ignoring that.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Saw a sexy-looking 4K+ 16:10 display in a store yesterday then immediately noped out when I saw it was Huawei :barf:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Saukkis posted:

Why would that matter much, you are probably showing different things on the monitors. I have been running multimonitor for couple decades and I have always had different models and resolution, usually three monitors. Even when I had three 24" 1920x1200 monitors at work I had setup one of them in portrait, so the resolutions didn't really match.

Biggest annoyance is when you are trying to move the mouse to another screen and it gets stuck behind a "corner". This can be mitigated by lining the monitors in either top or at the bottom, depending on which you are more likely to use while moving the mouse.

What is this Old World Blues-rear end desktop layout??

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

TheDK posted:

TN? Fast but lovely color and viewing angle.
Wow, I remember going from a nice Viewsonic 19" to a Planar 5:4 17" and being really disappointed with how literally lovely the Outlook icon turned. The dull gold became ugly brown. It almost wasn't worth the reclaimed desk space.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What was wrong with SED/FED? I'm guessing the other one is a matter of time, but I don't want to hit 50k hours on these backlights to find out how long.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sphyre posted:

where's my dang 144hz 27" 4K QD-OLED monitor :argh:
:same:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
IPS glow is nothing compared to just getting your colour settings right. I was about to buy new monitors for Tarkov because I could barely see in dark areas, and a bit of tweaking on ancient HP ZR's made an enormous difference. RTings had me rationalizing 3x1 Samsung 1m radius monitors to get good black levels and that's nearly as absurd as a Scorpion.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My first LCD was a Planar in that size/rez :kiddo:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If you want arms I would go straight to Ergotron, as the Monoprice Canada ones I ordered jiggle when I type.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
That could be it too; I spent way too much time levelling this 60" Vari and in the end I stopped noticing the shake.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Welp, looks like I’m keeping all 3 monitors

This is the one true monitor setup and I will never ditch it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

shrike82 posted:

I'm curious how you use 3x 27 in landscape - you have to move your head to track what's going at the two sides and looking at your screenshot, you end up doing split windows on the left and right monitors

might be worth trying out one or both of the side monitors in portrait
When I set up at my new place I tried putting the side monitors in portrait mode and it wasn't as useful. Coupled with an Edge extension to remember positions for multiple browser windows, in 3x1 landscape I can pop up a bunch of Tarkov maps and have them sit perfectly in with the game and Discord.

Maybe when I move up from 1200p and downgrade to 16:9 that will change.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does anyone have a modern 27" 1440p on a UPS or other mechanism to measure its power draw during gaming or other demanding work? I have a 3x1 set of CFL-backed 24" 1200p displays drawing 200/3 W whether in-game or at the desktop, and that's not something I feel like inflicting on the planet anymore.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Well that's just it - my current monitors are max 400 nits rated at 90W but since I run at about 70% brightness I hit 67W. The Dell 27" I'm looking at is also rated at 90W and 400 nits, so max numbers are either unrepresentative or not much better...?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/06/sony-finally-releases-a-4k-monitor-you-might-actually-want/

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Criss-cross posted:

That stand isn't just ugly, probably also really wobbly.
gently caress the stand; can it do VESA 100x100?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is that OLED tech for burn-in management? I’m ok with whatever acrobatics a panel needs to run if I can safely leave IPS behind on my next purchase.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
So if I have a nice OLED in the centre and go from desktop browsing to gaming and back, and keep some IPS displays on the flanks, that context switch on the OLED is enough to stop the Windows logo from burning into the corner?

I have 3x1 IPS right now, but before I bought the third it was IPS-VA-IPS and the colour difference drove me loving batty.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah I’m sorry but I don’t think OLED is nice enough to forego my rotation of Manhattan wallpapers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I want three of these but $1000 US for burn-in waiting to happen is foolish: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/11/lg-continues-diversifying-oled-monitor-options-lists-27-incher-for-1000/

My ideal monitor is probably this in 27” without the camera: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/11/dell-ultrasharp-monitor-review-4k-webcam-is-cool-better-contrast-is-cooler/

e: 60Hz lol nevermind

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 24, 2022