Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Am I correct in understanding that HDMI 2.1 is basically only supported in monitors with native G-Sync modules right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
The ASUS XG27AQM just got announced. It checks all the 1440p boxes from the information available, definitely one to watch. It doesn't support 4K input, though.

1440p270 IPS, pre-calibrated, ELMB, G-Sync Compatible.

EDIT: sRGB mode locks a lot of configuration like brightness which seems dumb.

kliras fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 21, 2021

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's 4K input in this case? You say it's a 1440p panel, why would it do 4K? Or do displays nowadays support downsampling, too?
A couple of monitor support 4K downscaling which is pretty convenient. Some 1440p monitors are repurposed 4K monitors iirc. And we don't know whether PS4/PS5 and the Switch Pro will ever support 1440p output like the Xbox.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Asus ROG Swift PG279QM review: perhaps the best higher-end 1440p240 at $850:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th3LLfm7nl0

Missing:

- Backlight strobing (ULMB)
- Pre-calibration
- 4K support (says in manual, not review)

Does have: excellent sRGB emulation.

For a cheaper option without native G-Sync, we'll have to wait what the ROG Strix XG27AQM performs like. It's probably gonna be a while before they get a copy of it.

kliras fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 1, 2021

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Speaking of Samsung.

https://twitter.com/TFTCentral/status/1407228990037925890

4K144, HDMI 2.1, 28"
1440p165 (DP 1.2, wtf)
1080p144

Sounds like they feature something like HDMI-CEC branded as "Auto Source Switch+", too.

kliras fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 22, 2021

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

frytechnician posted:

This caught my eye heavily but from the photos, it doesn't look like there are any Vesa mount options. Maybe I'm missing something.
Probably a VESA adapter somewhere in their shop if it isn't outright supported.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Speaking of brightness, can you always override "locked" brightness settings through Windows software (third-party stuff), or is it locked down all the way through firmware? Some good sRGB modes out there with locked settings.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Judging by naming, I'm assuming UltraFine is LG's equivalent of Dell's UltraSharp? Because UltraSharps are the bee's knees.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Cyberdud posted:

Having just purchased a new gaming PC with suggestions from the PC building thread, I'm now looking into buying a new screen to replace my aging ASUS VP247 23.6" FHD (1920x1080) screen. I've been playing 1080P@60hz for a long time and the PC building thread recommended I look into 1440p@144hz as the new PC i bought seems to support that.

Any suggestions based on my current screen? (24") Budget would be around 300$ CAD if possible.
For 1440p at 27", check this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPqOfTnU2j4

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
There isn't really a perfect 1440p240 monitor right now. The ASUS PG279QM was supposed to be it, but the idiots did not include ELMB (motion-blur reduction). The version without G-Sync, X-something, of course has it. Not sure what the story is with that, but super annoying of them to leave it out of an otherwise kitchen-sink monitor. At a $850 price point to boot.

At least more companies are realizing that sRGB mode is kinda important for those things we call videogames. Monitors feel like one of the most glacial spaces of improvement.

kliras fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 29, 2021

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
New AUO panel info ... unless you're looking for 1440p in 27": https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/au-optronics-latest-panel-development-plans-july-2021.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Someone made a tool that also works as an sRGB clamp for Nvidia GPUs, but since my monitors are sRGB, I haven't had a chance to take it for a spin.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
It's frankly a huge selling point for AMD GPUs over Nvidia. Having to pick your monitors based on whether it has sRGB mode or not is so dumb, and definitely not helping people who are looking for both a monitor and GPU. On top of a lot of this stuff applying OS-wide instead of per monitor.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

OwlFancier posted:

Do the various connectors make much difference for 1080p/60fps? I know the more modern standards have higher data transfer rates but I thought that was well above anything I would be using.
There might be some input latency difference, but even FPS pros don't seem to fuzz with that. I think DVI might be better, but see if someone like Battlenonsense has done anything on it. One thing that sucks about HDMI is that you will never know which version your cable is.

DP 1.2 also supports daisy chaining which is neat if you have one or two basic 1080p60 monitors that won't exceed the required bandwidth.

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 4, 2021

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Rinkles posted:

I actually thought the 900 series was the last nvidia generation that came with DVI out.
DVI(-D) was pretty popular for a while because it had a higher bandwidth than HDMI for 120/144 Hz monitors until DP became the norm for gaming. And now we're back to wondering whether we should focus on HDMI 2.1 or DP 2.0 with DP 1.4a being as high as it goes for most right now.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Combat Pretzel posted:

Indeed, you're right. Thanks.

Whatever my Samsungs send over seems to be absolute bullshit information. So I guess I won't get any HDMI 2.x information anytime soon.

How the gently caress these things got through the GSync certification that way bewilders me.
You could ask and see if there's a good EDID adapter out there. EDID is the information your monitor sends to your output device to tell it what it supports. I know there are EDID adapters for HDMI 2.0 (to deal with the PS5 not supporting 1440p and only sending 1080 instead of 4K), but I don't know what the situation is with 2.1.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

vaginite posted:

Hi guys,

Got a 3080 ti coming and want to get a monitor, sounds like 1440p with a high refresh is the way to go. Is there a good brand? Looking for 27 to 32 inch, don't want anything huge.
I don't think this has aged much, at least for 27" 1440p:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPqOfTnU2j4

Might wanna double check on the new crop of 32" monitors just to be sure, though. There haven't been any interesting 27" 1440p panel announcements that I noticed.

kliras fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 22, 2021

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Anyone with experience repairing busted backlights on monitors? My ancient monitor is about to eat it, but it seems like a tall order just to get the right parts, not to mention possible expenses. The online guides aren't what I would call reassuring.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Ten years old or something, so probably. It also sounds like a borderline health risk, so I think I'll just go solo monitor when it dies and wait for a good 1440p monitor to come along. Maybe the XB273UNX will actually come out one day.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

galenanorth posted:

Which is better for a phone, LCD or OLED? I see all these OLED phones on eBay with burn-in, and it makes me want to avoid OLED
OLED, with caveats. Some people are sensitive to the pulse width modulation so you wanna find out if you are before getting one, if you have the opportunity. I'm sure there are companies that cheap out, but I don't know whether you plan on buying iPhone or something obscure.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Old monitor's about to eat it, so instead of compromising and just getting some temporary upgrade, I thought I'd take the opportunity to set up a price drop alert for Black Friday anyway.

Is MAG274QRF-QD basically the best mid-level 1440p monitor, if I want IPS and a dedicated sRGB mode with no BGR going on? Higher-end 1440p240 is too recent to get discounted (significantly) unless it's Alienware, and Dell have already said they have no plans for implementing an sRGB mode in those, so no reason to bother with that for me.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Do monitors tend to have Black Friday deals in general? I know LG are great it, but no idea how it is for computer monitors, and I imagine the profit margin might be a little different.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
I don't live in NA, so it's more of a game of hoping for more structural "trickle-down" sales happening over here. I think they'll probably do some kind of Black Friday/Cyber Monday type of week where my price trackers will hopefully alert me to something happening. But yeah, the -QD deal is pretty nuts for those who are able to get it.

Of course, it's also a factor how good a store's refund policy is for stuff like dead and stuck pixels etc.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Just a national one for now. I also don't shop at Amazon, so goon-operated camelcamelcamel will cover you most of the time or at least give you an idea of what's going to go on sale.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
I think CCC and that one popular recipe service - Paprika? - are by goons.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Updated monitor buyer's guide by the HUB aussies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEqQi6Ljq8g

Basically states what we've all said here.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Has anything new at all been made in the realm of colorimeters? Or is it still the same ancient tools that have cost the same for like ten-fifteen years? Not a lot of rental options here as far as I can tell, alas.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Anyone know if the default profiles on MSI Optix monitors are Rec 2020? For some reason, it's not shown anywhere, even in the custom profiles.

Unless the profile name is the gamut like DCI-P3, sRGB, Adobe RGB etc. But for every other one, it's a bit of a mess.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Most of the guides I know are gaming-oriented, but if I wanted to bookmark a monitor for when my old secondary monitor dies, what's a good 1440p120(+) RGB IPS monitor for non-gaming, meaning that Adaptive Sync isn't important here?

Maybe even a Dell UltraSharp? Having it be pre-calibrated with sRGB emulation would probably be a good thing.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
If there's something I love, it's having to buy new display cables because there's no way to tell what the gently caress they support. I thought it was only HDMI that didn't have versions printed on, but apparently DisplayPort is just as bad? With HDMI, I can at least use it on the Apple TV as a basic quality test, not sure what to do with DP.

Maybe there's a basic cable tester that isn't Linus's $15,000 monstrosity I can get myself for Christmas.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Anyone know if that USB-B cable on an MSI monitor used for switching profiles in the fly depending on apps etc needs to be high speed? Apparently it's USB3, but it's also short as hell which makes it a pain for cable management, and I kinda want to replace it, but not sure what weird quirks might happen as a result.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Assuming it also functions as a hub (I don't know that monitor well) then you'd be gimping the onboard USB ports to USB 2 or something.
Ah, that might be the reason why. I don't use those anyway, so guess I should try it out.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
with hdr, probably. without, you should be able to do 165-ish. check with hdr on vs off

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Bakalakadaka posted:

Looking into getting myself a new monitor. I'm still using a gtx 1070 with a 60" 1080p TV but I want to move stuff around and I'll need to get a monitor for my gaming pc to configure my room the way I want it. I think what I want is a 27" 1440p monitor. I don't really expect to get higher than 60fps in any shiny new games at this point but looking around it sounds like a 1070 can do 1440p just fine for most games, maybe with a few settings turned down.

Does it make sense to go with the 1440p monitor with this setup or should I stick with a 1080p one? The main games I play right now are Genshin and FFXIV so they aren't the most demanding things.
As long as you use G-Sync, FFXIV should be good. This means disabling the FPS cap in-game and setting it to 60 in the Nvidia CP together with enabling VSync there. I'm assuming the monitor has a refresh rate higher than 60 here.

If you aren't already, you can also make a macro button that sets battle effects to Simple during instances to make things flow even better.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Anyone know what the "Premium Color" profile is in the latest MSI asdf-QD firmware update is? Since there are already plenty of profiles available.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
anyone who's edited monitor edid's before? i want to add dp 4k back after it was apparently removed in the latest msi edid update i gullibly installed which is pretty annoying, and all the software tools sound kind of sketchy

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
you could pass it to something like mpv or madvr if you really want, but it’s such a huge hassle

with tv’s, the manufacturers know what the processor can handle and pick the right scaling algos and settings. can’t just do the same on pc, and I’ve kind of given up on watching anything on pc and monitor at this point

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
e: nvm

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
one of the things about backlight strobing is that it can be a pain to turn on and off. on my msi monitor, i can automatically change profiles based on the game, but enabling backlight strobing breaks adaptive sync so i have to manually notice and enable it again

it's not just a matter of whether it's available, but also how. make sure to look into that when considering a monitor

i'm not a huge competitive fps gamer, so i'm probably just not going to enable it for the most part. maybe that'll change when the nvidia 40-series is out and i get much better fps, but it's a big hassle unless there's a major improvement to your experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
my MAG274QRF-QD just got refunded by rma, and i'm wondering if i should order the same or better monitors have come out or might come out in the near future? especially since i actually have to pay more for this monitor than when i bought it on sale

definitely want one with srgb mode and g-sync compatibility. 27" 1440p non-curved etc

ironically, it looks like the m27q-x is discounted to be the same price as the -qd, which seems compelling; the default calibration of the -qd was ... not great

and are there other future panels or monitors out there to check out? i think qd-oled sounds a bit too much like a mixed bag right now

kliras fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 25, 2022