Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1357816158880223237

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Cygni posted:

If you don’t have a budget, the 27GN950 is prolly the most ballin gaming monitor. 27in 4K/144hz IPS with excellent response times and VRR. Basically the only things it doesn’t have are HDMI 2.1 for consoles and HDR... but come April, LG is launching a refreshed version with 2.1, but I imagine stock will be tough to find. 27GP950 will be the name of the refresh.

Given that the vast majority of graphically sophisticated XBS1 and PS5 games probably won't reach higher than 60 FPS at 4k, what other advantages does HDMI 2.1 offer you if you have current gen console? I know there are features like VRR, but is that even a thing these consoles will be able to take advantage of if they don't have the power to natively run graphically intensive games at >60 FPS at 4k?

mA fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 26, 2021

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Shipon posted:

When you use the TV as a monitor does it annoy you with the smart TV stuff? I hope you don't have to like manually switch it to PC mode every time it turns on

Nope. I have a CX48 and use it as my monitor. It stays on the last used input each time. I got a best buy 5 year warranty that covers burn in, so I don't need to baby it. It's an amazing display - I don't know how I could ever go back to staring an IPS screen as my primary monitor again.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
The LG 27GP950-B is in stock for the first time in a while https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gp950-b-gaming-monitor

IMHO, it's a little over priced, but would fit the bill for anyone with money to burn looking for a 4k IPS monitor.

I know the hype is all around the GIGABYTE M28U right now, but who knows when that is gonna be in stock again

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

ACValiant posted:

Pulled the trigger on a 48inch LG C1. I’ll be mounting it to the wall this weekend but first my impression is that it’s beautiful. This OLED is just leaps and bounds above my average IPS 1440p monitors in terms of picture quality. Playing Destiny on is some wow poo poo. Using Fancy Zones also makes browser viewing much nicer. I’m really liking it so far!

Congrats - a few people on r/oled_gaming put together a pretty good settings guide for setting up LG CX/C1 for PC gaming and next gen consoles. Enjoy

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/mbpiwy/lg_oled_gamingpc_monitor_recommended_settings/

mA fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

teh_Broseph posted:

How far are y'all sitting from your 48" LG OLEDs? Glad to hear they seem to be working out for folks. Was hoping for more news by now on the 43" version rumored to be in progress but I dunno maybe 48" wouldn't be too big if one pops up at a good price from end of the year stuff. I might have extra clearance anyway, think I would have to wall mount it with a bit of an angle (two verticle stacked monitors already on one side), and motorized desk I'd want enough room back to not be paranoid about raising it into the TV :ohdear:

My desk is 32" inches deep (Ikea Bekant), and I mounted my CX48 on a stand that allows it to be placed at the very edge of the desk. At my typical sitting position my head is about ~40" away from the screen, which is works well for me for general productivity. Sometimes I'll scoot my office chair back a little more and put my feet up on an ottoman if I'm watching a movie or playing a game with a controller. It took me maybe a day or two after moving from a 27" monitor to adjust, but over the past 6 months its been a wonderful jack of all trades monitor for work/PC gaming/console gaming/movies. I invested in the Best Buy warranty, which covers burn in, so I don't baby it at all outside of hiding the Windows task bar and keeping a black desktop background. My only complaint is the HDMI port placement, which is all the way on the left side of the unit, which means you need to make sure you have long enough cables to reach your devices.

Edit: RTings has a useful chart that is a good starting guide for determining combinations of view distance, monitor size and monitor resolution.

mA fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 25, 2021