Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishmasher
Apr 22, 2002

Manny posted:

Also, anyone had problems with the AG coating on Dells? I've heard that it is particularly aggressive/noticable on the u2711, and some people go as far as major warranty-voiding surgery to remove it and convert their screen to glossy.
I traded my U2211H because of the anti-glare coating. Photographs and video looked great. I really wanted to like it, but any text on a white background was almost intolerable to me because of the AG coating. I think the small dot pitch on the 21.5" makes the effect worse.

It's not that I'm just being overly picky, white documents and forums were actually very difficult for me to read. I've heard that wearing glasses might make the effect worse, maybe that's partially why it bothers some people so much more than others.

Fishmasher fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishmasher
Apr 22, 2002
I'm looking for information about modern Viewsonic anti-glare coatings, and if they're light or heavy. Basically I'm trying to avoid any noticeable grain/rainbow sparkles over a white background. VG2436wm-LED for example. Anyone know?

Fishmasher
Apr 22, 2002
I think many screen/camera/eyeglass cleaners are just isopropyl alcohol and water.

Both Dell and Apple have documentation that recommend using Isopropyl alcohol 50%, so that should be the cheapest recommended solution if a plain microfiber or water isn't enough. Both companies warn against using pure isopropyl alcohol though, so just make sure it's diluted.

For me a plain microfiber cloth is usually enough on it's own, but I try to avoid websites that cause me to projectile vomit.

Fishmasher fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 16, 2010

Fishmasher
Apr 22, 2002
My Samsung BX2440 has presets for Warm, Cool, and Normal. I wish they'd use the actual number like 6500k, or at least explain it in the manual. Does anyone know what the presets really are?

edit: I found a program called "Natural Color Pro" that's free for Samsungs. So that seems to have helped, in case anyone has a Samsung monitor and doesn't want to pay for a colorimeter. http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/learningresources/monitor/naturalcolorexpert/pop_download.html

Fishmasher fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 18, 2010