Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

priznat posted:

I just got my U2412 today (shipped to my work), I hope it doesn't suck :ohdear:

I just ordered mine and opened the thread to share and found that post, it was kind of disheartening.

Still, given all the reviews and other folks' experience in the thread, does seem like an outlier. Plus I live up the freeway from Dell, so I can go kick their asses if it's a bum unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Hooked up my U2412M... no words... should have sent... a poet

Seriously I had to push it to the back of my desk. Is having to actually move my eyes to see stuff normal, or am I still too close to it?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Storm- posted:

I was coming from an IPS screen so I thought this one might be worse because it's cheap and the U2410 was known for its tinting issues but, nope, it's pretty much perfect.

If there's one thing I could complain about it would be the options menu, it seems like each preset mode has its own set of options and some of them don't have any options at all. They don't seem interchangeable, unless I'm missing something.

Yeah the preset modes aren't adjustable, seems like.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

My displayport cable came today and it's plaid! I know it makes 0 difference over DVI, but somehow I feel better knowing that I am using the latest cable technology. And that it is plaid.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

priznat posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that Battlefield 3 looks _amazing_ at 1920x1200 on the u2412m running off of a GTX580. I find myself just staring at the textures and stuff, that's my excuse for getting shot all the time. :colbert:

I actually seem to be getting shot a lot less compared to using my 2005fpw (wfp? whatever). Better response time, I think.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Well, the problem is manufacturers have different ways of measuring latency, so the 5ms quote is not enough to make any kind of determination on. I'd look at specific reviews of the monitor and see what people say about it, but most likely it's probably fine.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

frunksock posted:

I have a 2005fpw or whatever from way back. How big of an improvement in, say, gaming performance would I see going to a u2412m?

I went from a 2005 to a 2412 and am pretty happy with it. Seems much faster and has better visibility even with the brightness turned way down.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Aphal posted:

Grabbed a 2412 for $311 shipped, hope this one actually compares to my 2007WFP in picture quality.

Yeah, it's going to be a lot better.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You totally can, I'm much better at battlefield now.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Nah, hell, I play Battlefield 3 (I'm not super pro or anything) and it's fine

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Dell U2412m, I'd say. LED backlighting=better blacks, it's decently fast for an IPS panel. Also, it's an IPS panel.

I used Sony CRTs back in the day.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

priznat posted:

Ditto! Really happy with my U2412m. I'd buy another one in a snap.

I'm just on the DVI connection for now but I'd like to get a displayport cable (my vid card has a port) just because it is ~*the future*~. That's my only beef, they don't include a displayport cable but they include DVI, VGA and USB cables.

I did this and while fun (especially because my displayport cable is wrapped in argyle fabric for some reason), the display won't wake up from sleep like half the time, so I had to get in the habit of manually turning it off and disabling sleep.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's pretty fast, although I say this coming from an old slow IPS. But I think unless you are some zany twitch person you won't notice.

My BF3 playing has improved significantly.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

dud root posted:

Can the 2412 turn off individual backlight LEDs as needed for a better picture?

edit: wait, no, it's W-LED edge lit

Dogen fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 18, 2011

Dogen
May 5, 2002

mik posted:

Can you expand on this now? I was thinking of switching my U2711 to DP so I could push my tower back a little further, as the DVI cable is what is sticking out the back the most at the moment.

Another exciting thing that seems to happen a lot when using DP is the monitor not waking up from power save about half the time, which meant there was a good chance I would have to reboot if I left my computer alone for 5 minutes.

You probably don't want to push your case back any further if it's only a DVI connector's distance from the wall anyway for proper airflow.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

U2412m won't, don't know about the others. I believe the HP 24" IPS model will.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Not specifically, but I believe the Dell U2412M and HP ZR24-whatever both use LG IPS panels, for what it's worth.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Nigulus Rex posted:

I think I can tell the difference. When I'm at my friend's place with his 120 hz tv, I can absolutely tell the difference while watching stuff. While trying to explain it to my friend, he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about though. I'm not sure how I would put it into words, but there is a discernible effect. I'm not sure if that's the framerate difference though.

If it's a 120hz TV and it's applying interpolation to a 24/30/60 source, you can see it because it's loving annoying and retarded. Your friend probably doesn't notice because he's used to it.

120hz in gaming involves outputting, ideally, 1 distinct frame every 1/120th of a second.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Well, ideally you are running the game at 120+ frames, so you are seeing twice as many frames per second. Would look smoother I guess, if you could perceive it.

For non-games, 120 is the least common multiple of 24 and 30, so a tv screen that is 120hz can display film and tv content by simply duplicating the existing frames in the content being displayed instead of having to do some guesswork.

You can of course force 120hz tvs to do guesswork, which is what the weird soap opera smoothing effect most people associate with 120hz is about.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If you want to use it as a tv, a bunch of different poo poo requires hdcp for high def.

I would recommend against the whole dual purpose thing unless space is at a premium.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

AlphaDog- You'd be better off getting a proper VGA cable, just look on amazon for Xbox VGA. I used to use the official cable ages ago, and those are kind of expensive and I don't think they make em anymore, but there seem to be 3rd party ones for 5bux or less.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah the default brightness on the 2412 is loving ridiculous, it hurt my eyes to look at in the morning. I set mine down to 35, unfortunately my monitor has to compete with the sun coming through wooden blinds for a good chunk of the day.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Don't do 120hz, it limits your monitor choices and requires a lot of oomph from your GPU to make use of.

You should probably be looking at a U2412M

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Unfortunately resolutions above 1920 are a curse in that way- not only are the screens vastly more expensive, but if you want to game you also have to get a much more expensive GPU or SLI/CF as well. It's your call if it's worth it to you, but I would bet you'd probably get used to a 24" right quick, assuming it's sitting on your desk.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah, that's a good choice. If you wanted to save you could always do U2410...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

When are we going to get OLED monitors, they jumped right up to 55" TVs for some reason :mad:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They have trouble keeping them in stock whenever there is a sale. I got mine for $350 before black Friday madness and it still took like 3 days I think with overnight, I attribute that to a glut of them anticipating orders/people holding off to buy on black Friday.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

DrDork posted:

Dell monitors (especially the good ones) are generally not carried in any brick-and-mortar store in the US. It's a real shame, too, because I'd think they'd get a lot of sales if they put the UltraSharp lineup right next to the lovely ACERs and whatnot so people could see the difference.

It seems to me they sell about as many as they can make. I think part of their business model keeping as small an inventory as possible.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If you have $110, probably, yes

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They can pry my 16:10 from my cold dead hands

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Let's talk about pyramids and how they prove that the Egyptians were mathematically advanced by their relationship to pi

Dogen
May 5, 2002

In fact with Nvidia the scaling is now set to aspect ratio by default (thankfully), so one shouldn't have to do anything.

It used not to work at all, which was infuriating trying to play Sam and Max Season 1 (4:3) on a 16:10 monitor. There were settings, but... they wouldn't do anything, AND you couldn't tell the GPU to let the monitor handle the scaling.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

That has nothing to do with scaling of the monitor on a console.

I know, but we were talking about SC2 on PC, I thought

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The King of Swag posted:

:words:

This is why TVs don't make good monitors

Dogen
May 5, 2002

U2711 or U3011 if you're happy with Dell

also note if it's mostly for gaming you'll need some kind of wacky GPU setup to handle that resolution

Dogen fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 31, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Rashomon posted:

Wouldn't a single big card handle it just fine? I'm not going to be doing a new build for at least a couple months, but something in the 6970 or 7950 category would be just fine for high settings at 2560x1600 or whatever, right? I don't need maxed AA or super ultra everything, but high settings would be nice.

Yeah, you just want a good fill rate and 1.5+gb of VRAM. CF 2x 6950 would be the best dollar/money choice, but if you want to stay single card 7950/7970 would be a good bet.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I know LG and Samsung make a lot of panels, so perhaps it would make sense that Korea has some kind of advanced LCD technology.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Due to the work I'm doing right now I decided it would be worth the annoyance of hooking up my old 2005fpw as an entertainment type monitor. By 'annoyance', I mean 'lousy Nvidia STILL can't figure out how to enable proper power saving on multi monitors by default'. Luckily a) my GPU has a much better cooler than it did the last time I tried this, and b) I learned you can manually 'fix' power saving with multiple monitors by using Nvidia inspector. I'm still playing with it now, and there were some hiccups, but it seems to be working so far. Much better than my card hitting 50C just to have both monitors hooked up.

Also jesus is the backlight on the old monitor yellow, especially in comparison to the LED backlighting on the U2412.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Nope, 2412 plugged into my DP port and the 2005 is plugged into DVI on my 580. My board is a P67, I guess dual monitors might be one situation where a Z68 is preferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Dell U2412m