Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Tab8715 posted:

Is it possible to het Hazro monitor in the United States?

You can order it from their website, but expect to over $100 in shipping costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

We have to pray for OLED displays to become common in the near future.

I saw the 15-inch LG OLED TV and it blew me away. The blacks were incredible, the contrast was incredible and the viewing angles made any IPS display look like an ancient piece of poo poo.

It's a shame LG seems to be the only company putting any sort of effort into bigger OLED TVs/monitors.

Here's a 31-inch OLED TV LG is soon releasing for an exorbitant price: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnRYScqogF0

Can't wait until I have a 24-inch version on my computer desk. :allears:

Rollie Fingers fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 20, 2011

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Samsung's PLS monitors are on the horizon for people who are worried about LG's terrible panel lottery. I've just bought an NEC PA231W (which uses the same panel as the U2311h) and it has a hideous blue tint on the right side. It's a shame because the colours on the monitor are excellent. I have to say the viewing angles on these e-IPS panels are underwhelming -- and I'm upgrading from a PVA, which is notorious for contrast shift. The IPS glow is obvious from the moment you start using the monitor.

I'm thinking of returning the display and waiting for the next generation of H-IPS monitors, or wait and see how Samsung's PLS panels fare. These newer generation Samsung displays are supposed to offer similar viewing angles to H-IPS but without the glow.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Nonpython posted:

Are there any 120Hz ~24" monitors that have at least passable viewing angle and colors? I do a lot of gaming, but I do occasionally put on big boy clothes and do some web design/programming.

All the 120Hz monitors are TN panels so you won't find any with good viewing angles. Until Samsung release VA displays capable of 120Hz (and if LG can do the same with IPS), you're limited to the crappy viewing angles of TNs.

However, if you can get hold of a colourimeter, it is at least possible to set up a TN display with the correct gamma, white point and reasonable colour fidelity and accuracy. Of course you'll have to sit perfectly still and try not to move your head...

Edit: On the subject of IPS, given the amount of money LG are investing in OLED, I don't think we'll see 120Hz IPS displays. Once OLED is commonplace, all monitors and TVs should have perfect 178° viewing angles, very deep blacks and be capable of 120Hz. They just always seem "a few years away". :(

Rollie Fingers fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 13, 2011

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

peepsalot posted:

So what's the deal with LED backlit displays. I thought these would be more popular, but all anyone talks about is the U2311H. Is the picture for LED backlights just flat out inferior to CCFL? I was under the impression that provided higher contrast ratios, and that some are capable of having a wider color gamut.

There are two different types of LED backlighting: WLED and RGB LED. RGB LED monitors are outstanding and capable of wide colour gamut, but are prohibitively expensive and hence only seen on professional displays.

WLED backlit displays, on the other hand, are not capable of wide colour gamut and, in fact, cover slightly less NTSC colour space than standard gamut CCFL monitors. Every affordable LED backlit monitor available right now is WLED based. The advantages they have over CCFL backlighting are that LED backlit monitors can be slimmer and use less power, but they don't necessarily offer better image quality and higher contrast than CCFL. I'd also say LED backlit displays normally have more issues with screen uniformity.

peepsalot posted:

Any other(non Apple) brands that have offer a good LED backlit monitor?

The NEC EA232WMI is the best affordable one available in this category.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

P-IPS panels are basically H-IPS so this Asus will more than likely be using the same LG panels as the U2410 and PA241W. Given the price, hopefully Asus haven't just given a cursory look at the monitor's SRGB colour emulation.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Vectorwulf posted:

Bah, figured as much... Ah well, at least my games look great on it. Thanks though! :)

There's a chance the amount of glow is variable monitor to monitor. There is noticeable IPS glow on my NEC PA231W at angles (which uses an e-IPS panel as well) but it's never as extreme as that even in a dimly lit room. To be honest, the IPS glow on my screen is really only detectable when it's displaying dark colours.

The fact there's so much glow on your screen even when it's displaying a relatively bright game might suggest that monitor suffers from LG's panel lottery. I know U2311H owners on other forums have returned their monitors because the orange and blue IPS glow was too extreme.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

This might be of interest to those looking for an affordable, e-IPS, LED-backlit competitor to the U2311h: Asus released the ML239H a few weeks ago and it's cheaper than the U2311h.

It's loving hideous though.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Bensa posted:

Looking for a monitor for a laboratory setup in the 23-24" range:
- Wide viewing angle (both axis)
- High contrast
- Non-glossy (frame and screen)
- Color reproduction not important (B&W images)
- USB hub a plus but not necessary

It's a couple of years old, but if you're not interested in IPS, then the Eizo EV2333WH is the one you're after. It's a PVA panel so you can expect higher contrast than IPS panels and Eizo have a reputation for producing fine displays (this monitor is probably the best VA-based out right now in the market). The EV2333WH's contrast ratio is above 3000:1 (more than triple that of IPS's capabilities) and, on top of that, its black point is far superior to any IPS display's.

Unfortunately with modern panels, though, there isn't any panel technology out there at present that's capable of integrating high contrast with wide viewing angles. Unlike IPS panels, all VA monitors suffer from gamma shift once your head moves vertically or horizontally. However, if near-perfect viewing angles aren't critical for you, then this display is the one to go for if you'd like more than ~1000:1 contrast ratio.

I used to own a PVA monitor before moving on to an NEC IPS one. If you're mostly viewing B&W images, then go for this Eizo. PVA technology doesn't exhibit the irritating glow like IPS does when viewed at wide angles.

Rollie Fingers fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 19, 2011

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

evensevenone posted:

I don't think there are enough PVA/MVA panels around to make the slight cost difference worth it vs going to IPS (of which there are several in the 23-24" range).

I would almost always recommend IPS ahead of VA, but if he's going to be viewing B&W images most of the day at different angles, then IPS glow will be an issue and will get annoying if there's a lot of black on screen.

The only two things I miss about having a PVA monitor are the excellent black levels and the lack of glow.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Bensa posted:

The measurement room is typically dark during precise measurements, so glowing blacks would be pretty annoying. Glowing blacks plus images without a lot of dynamic range don't mix well.

For reference we're switching from a crappy early 00's Philips LCD. Its extremely angle sensitive. This isn't a medical application, although we do measurements for medical purposes (instruments, pharmaceutics).

PVA vs. IPS in a dark room: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUCprmxndaE&feature=related

I own two IPS monitors (which includes a high end NEC PA241W) and a Samsung PVA, and my observations have been pretty much the same as this video. The IPS panels display colours beautifully, but the the black level and glow is an achilles' heel.

You have to remember, though, that VA panels suffer from gamma shift so the black level and contrast won't be quite as good when viewing at angles, but they don't exhibit anything similar to IPS glow.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

whiteshark12 posted:

I need a new monitor (HDMI port required) for a new gaming PC i'm building. I am currently happily chugging away with my HP w1907v I got with this PC in 2007. I was looking at getting a Viewsonic VX2239WM which is at a reasonable price with everything I wanted. I expect it isn't the cutting edge of monitor technology, but will it be good coming up from a bundled manufacturer's one? are there any other ones in a similar price range that are better?

If your budget allows you to spend ~£50 more and you aren't a maniacal gamer that needs super low response times, you can get a bigger and far nicer LG IPS monitor for ~£170 called LG IPS236V-PN. It's LED-backlit, comes with an HDMI port and its response time should be identical or lower than the U2311h's. Being an IPS panel, it'll have far nicer colour, contrast and viewing angles compared to that Viewsonic's lovely TN panel.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

The Dave posted:

Is there a normal gamut monitor that compares with the U2410? I love the size, design, and viewing angles on the U2410. They're really what's making me question about returning it or not.

Samsung's IPS rival displays using PLS panels should be released before the summer. Samsung suggests PLS panels will have comparable viewing angles to IPS with better blacks and less glow. The 24 and 27 inch displays will be standard gamut. Other than that, I can only think of the old 24 inch LED Apple displays that used IPS and standard gamut at that size.

According to the tftcentral review of the U2410, the Dell's sRGB emulation is pretty much spot on once calibrated. Perhaps try testing one of their sRGB ICC profiles for the U2410: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#d

Rollie Fingers fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 22, 2011

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

The Dave posted:

I actually was checking out Tft Central last night and it got me pretty optimistic, however once I actually installed their ICC profile I was horrified by it. I don't know if it's my individual monitor but their profile gave the screen a really bad blue/green hue and was entirely too dark with no contrast. I was really surprised by that and was wondering if something was up with me.

That's definitely not right. A colleague of mine has a U2410 and is using tftcentral's sRGB ICC profile without any problems. It could be you've accidently downloaded an ICC profile not meant for sRGB emulation.

The Dave posted:

Unless I'm completely retarded their ICC profiles are meant to just be loaded into window's color manager right? There's no step I'm missing is there?

Yep. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here, but before loading the ICC profile, have you selected the correct preset mode (sRGB) through the monitor's menu? Since your monitor is presumably one of the latest revisions, I would use one of their A02 revision profiles for sRGB mode, even though they have three different ones available:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/icc_profiles/Dell_U2410_sRGB_mode.icc - A00
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/icc_profiles/dell_u2410_user3.icc - A02
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/icc_profiles/dell_u2410_user4.icc - A02

They also suggest setting brightness to 35 and contrast to 50.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Also, this replacement monitor has a few stuck/dead pixels in the upper left hand corner of the screen. Have any of you had success in repairing/"massaging" stuck/dead pixels?

Yep. I had a pixel stuck on green for a couple of days. I tried to ignore it but it was too close to the centre of the screen.

I massaged the area around the stuck pixel for a couple of minutes and hoped for the best. The next time I switched the monitor on, the green pixel was working again.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

archangelwar posted:

What about this?

http://www.hazro.com/index.php?pid1.html

I have heard great things about these monitors, but why the gently caress can't we have them in the US, nor have them shipped here? I mean, they are supposed to be on par with the U2711 but at $600, that makes them $500 less than Dell's site.

I've read Hazro is a very small company at the moment and don't have the financial muscle to sell in bulk overseas. Even in the UK they are only selling through one online store. In terms of business, they've essentially started again after producing mediocre monitors for years.

Their newer monitors are an absolute bargain, though. For any Europeans interested in a glossy 27" display, the Hazro HZ27WC is identical to the Apple Cinema Display panel and performance wise, but costs £500 less!

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

72% gamut? That's not not equal performance to the ACD's ~85%.

I think you're mixing colour spaces. The 72% relates to how much the display covers of the NTSC colour gamut, but the 85% figure you've posted probably refers to how much it covers of Adobe RGB 1998 gamut.

Since both the 27" ACD and Hazro HZ27WC are using the same H-IPS panel from LG and use W-LED backlighting, they are both standard gamut screens and will cover only 72% of NTSC colour gamut (W-LED's limitation). If the 27" ACD can cover 85% of AdobeRGB colour space, then the glossy Hazro will most likely match that figure.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Dell takes a backward step with their update for the U2410, and is also planning replacements for their 23" and 21.5" screens:

quote:

Dell are set to release a new 24" monitor in their ever-popular UltraSharp series later this year. The U2412HM will be the replacement for the U2410 monitor and is the latest in their refresh program which usually takes place every 1 - 2 years.

We don't have full information about this screen yet, but we do know that the U2412HM is expected to be 16:9 format, and so a break from their previous 16:10 format models (the 'H' in the name signifies 16:9 aspect screens). It will feature a full 1920 x 1080 resolution of course and will be White-LED backlit. As with all their recent UltraSharp models the screen will use IPS panel technology. This will be e-IPS classification which is signified by the 'M' in the product name, and being W-LED backlit the screen will be standard gamut. It is expected to offer a coverage of ~80% of the NTSC colour space. This is obviously a change from the wide gamut U2410 but is in line with current market trends. Details about features and other specs are not known at this time but this must also be a new IPS panel from LG.Display since at the moment they do not have a 16:9 format IPS module listed. The screen will also remain with a matte AG coating and they will not be reverting to glossy coating at all. We know the screens will feature DVI-D and DisplayPort connections but the rest of the interface options are not known yet.

At the same time Dell will also be refreshing their 23" and 21.5" models to replace the U2311H and U2211H. These will also be 16:9 format, e-IPS based and W-LED backlit. They will be called the U2312HM and U2212HM respectively.

Release is expected sometime in Q3 this year for all three models. As soon as we have more information we will report back and we will of course feature full reviews of them all once available. We don't know what the screens wil look like or how they will be priced yet.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/23.htm#dell_u2412h_1

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

LG has been showing of its new AH-IPS panels at SID 2011. Sadly there doesn't seem to be any info on whether they've managed to improve black levels and reduce IPS glow, but these new panels are capable of supporting very high PPI for tablet and smartphone sizes and will consume less power, so at least there's that to look forward to when I upgrade my iPad.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Edit: sorry, wrong thread.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

gepgepgep posted:

I'd like to get a 2nd monitor for chat/browsing/better movie watching and would definitely appreciate any suggestions on upcoming/current models to keep an eye on for when deals happen. Am I correct in assuming an IPS panel is the best bet for the intended uses?

Ideal budget: $250 or below.

For your $250 budget get the LG IPS231P. Its performance is likely to be pretty identical to the Dell U2311h.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

LED backlit monitors are even more susceptible to splotchy backlighting than CCFL from what I've read. No professional or semi-professional display uses WLED backlighting; they all use either CCFL or RGB LED backlighting. However, I don't know of any RGB LED displays that fall within your budget. The high end Eizos and NECs are still using CCFL because of its ability to produce wide colour gamut.

If you're extra concerned about screen uniformity then the NEC PA series displays have a feature called ColorComp which will automatically adjust the monitor to compensate for uneven color produced by panels with less than perfect screen uniformity. I've enabled this on my NEC monitor and it works perfectly.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

The best S-PVA display you can get your hands on is the Eizo S2433WH. The input lag on that display is very good for an S-PVA and matches the modern eIPS monitors like U2311h (so you can expect input lag between 10-20 ms). It has quite an effective overdrive system to improve response times, so movement on screen should be smooth.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

DrDork posted:

Technically there already are. Mitsubishi popped out a 24" 120Hz IPS at the end of last year, but only sold it in Japan, and it was around $1400.

I think that display achieved 120Hz by interpolation, which is not the same as true 120Hz.

I don't think we're going to see 120Hz on high quality panels until OLED becomes the technology of choice for all displays (which will probably be close to the end of this decade). LG have started committing big sums of money into OLED, so I can't see them dumping enormous sums of money into R&D for IPS to be able to support more than 60Hz.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I don't know if this has been posted yet but, contrary to earlier rumours, it was confirmed that Dell's successor to the U2410 - the U2412 - is going to have a 16:10 aspect ratio.

It'll also be WLED backlit so will be a standard gamut screen, which will mean the more common and cheaper e-IPS, 6 bit+FRC panel should lower the cost of the monitor.

I don't think it's a bad move by Dell. I doubt many regular users cared about the wide gamut colour spaces, and the professional users who did bought NECs and Eizos anyway.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

This Post Sucks posted:

Hey, I just got a U2410 used off of Ebay, and when I hooked it up, it almost looks as if the color settings are set to 16 bit with a lot of vertical lines going on it kind of like when you don't have a video driver installed.

My other monitor is working just fine, but I installed the Dell's U2410 driver just to try it out.

Any advice or should I just try and return it?

Thanks!

Edit: I've tried both DVI ports and the RGB port and they are all the same. I've ever tried reverting it back to factory settings.

The earliest revisions of U2410 had quite bad dithering problems on the sRGB and AdobeRGB presets, so it might be that. This was fixed in the A01 revision of the monitor, I believe.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

movax posted:

+/- 6-bit panel. Technically "worse", but a lot of reviewers praised the 2311H without even realizing it was 6-bit. Wouldn't worry about it.

The one proviso to this is that it's recommended to get a proper 8-bit display if you're professional or even semi-professional and use a graphics program like Photoshop. I have two NEC displays (a true 8-bit NEC PA241W at work and a 6-bit NEC PA231W at home) and the limitations of 6-bit become apparent when, for example, I'm using Photoshop on the 23" monitor and gradients I apply are banding quite badly. The 8-bit panel reproduces everything perfectly, on the other hand.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

my stepdads beer posted:

Just upgraded to the U2711 and it's gorgeous. Using my horrible monitor at work is going to be awful today.

This is one of the downfalls of using an IPS monitor for the majority of the time but having to use a TN occasionally.

I bought a new 13" Macbook Air but I'm not perfectly happy using it because the display is abysmal compared to what I'm used to. It's inexcusable if the bigger manufacturers aren't using IPS in notebooks by next year.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Could someone explain to me why I'm so wrong. :( The Lenovo Thinkpad X220 seems to have an IPS display.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The X220 is an expensive laptop. IPS costs more.

Yeah, I realise that but I wasn't suggesting the sub-$1000 notebooks should all be kitted with IPS, but the higher end laptops like the Macbook Pros, Thinkpads, Vaios, etc. should be. We have a £400 iPad with an IPS display, and Samsung's IPS rival technology (PLS) is apparently even cheaper to manufacture.

I think with IPS monitors becoming cheaper and more popular, and most tablets using IPS or PLS, it won't be that far away until notebook manufacturers are urged to ditch TN displays in their higher end machines.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

JD Brickmeister posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009278&cm_sp=ProductSpotlight-_-24-009-278-_-08172011

Newegg has this for $100 off - my interest lies in that you get a mouse and keyboard, and since I'm building a new system, will save me that cost. Any major red flags?

I would suggest this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005230

An IPS monitor and only $10 more. Granted it's 2" smaller, but I'd still take it over a 24" TN.

Unless a fully adjustable stand is a must or you're a hardcore gamer, there's no reason whatsoever to get a TN monitor if your budget is $150-$200.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

GoldenNugget posted:

Are there other IPS screen brands to consider that are about 200 bucks and ~1080p and ~23"? I think there were some LG IPS screens about those prices but maybe I misread something somewhere. Any IPS at ~10ms or less won't have that much noticeable lag (in terms of gaming) correct?

The LG IPS231P or Asus ML239H are what you're after. I'm not American, but I'm pretty certain both are within your budget. The Asus is an ugly thing, but its responsiveness and input lag performances are superior to the LG's.

If you can cope with its looks, I'd recommend the Asus because it's better for gaming and almost $40 cheaper.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

You won't notice any difference between modern 6-bit and 8-bit displays unless you use a programme like Photoshop. I have a 6-bit monitor and an 8-bit one and the differences in colour depth are only noticeable when I'm working with gradients in Photoshop.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

low-key-taco posted:

I have an old Samsung 24" TFT (245bw) that just looks awful next to my mbp's display. Would any of the $200-250 (extreme low end ips/mva?) 23" or 24" displays be a big improvement? Its impossible to tell in stores where everything is just running crappy demo reels.

Any IPS monitor will be a huge improvement over a display even a few years old. If your Samsung looks awful compared to the MBP's TN panel (which is very mediocre itself), even the cheapest IPS displays from LG or Asus will be a massive step up.

The IPS panels the cheaper and more expensive 23" displays use are all pretty similar in terms of image quality, contrast and black levels. What really differentiates them are things like response time, input lag, connections, quality of the stand, etc.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

Man, quote those in the OP. That is pretty much IPSvsTN.jpg

After a bit of googling, the 2408 is actually a PVA panel, so an IPS would have even better viewing angles.

I suspected it was a VA panel after clicking those screenshots because the gamma shift is obvious even at those minor angles.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Dogen posted:

When are we going to get OLED monitors, they jumped right up to 55" TVs for some reason :mad:

Probably never because OLED suffers from burn-in. :(

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Xeom posted:

So how long till OLED tech works its way into monitors?

OLED suffers from burn-in, so monitors using that technology are unlikely.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I took the plunge and upgraded from a 34" ultrawide to the LG 38GL950G and my reaction so far has been: :captainpop:

The extra real estate is perfect. Fills my FOV far better than even a 34" ultrawide.
The vignetting at the very top of the screen is a bit disappointing, but I can live with it. I don't think I'll ever need/want a monitor bigger than this and I can't go back to anything smaller.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I have a new LG Oled TV and wouldn't want an Oled monitor.

While my TV doesn't have burn in, there is temporary image retention after a static, bright graphic/logo has been on screen for a while. I don't notice it from a distance, but it's apparent closer up. The TV does a good job of flushing it away eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

BurritoJustice posted:

Do the CX OLED support LFC or do they truly stop at 40Hz?

The latest firmware added LFC