Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have a link to a cheap-as-possible IPS panel from any recognizable brand? I'm purchasing for a hospital, they can be refurbished, I currently buy TN-LED 23" 1080p monitors refurbished for $90 at TigerDirect but any IPS below $120 would be great if they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
If anyone isn't signed up for Dell Outlet coupons you probably should be. I just got emailed some coups for 30% off refurbished monitors, including their S2340M 23" IPS for $118.30 shipped before tax.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Killstick posted:

Hey serious hardware people, i've been thinking about getting a new monitor for gaming since my current one has started showing it's age and i'm wondering:

Is this monitor, a "Asus VG248QE TN 24" " good for the money (i don't care about and won't use the 3D features) and
Is a Radeon 660Ti beefy enough to power it at 1920x1080? I would be paying 419USD with free shipping.

If it's a bad choice what would you suggest instead? My primary concern is 120Hz+ and 24", i don't want no 60Hz monitor.

I mean, you're obviously looking at that one to use with the DIY G-Sync kit right? That's why I just bought one. But I got a used-Like-New on Amazon for exactly $200 shipped.

You're saying yours is $419 shipped which doesn't make sense, a cursory search shows under $281 shipped on Amazon for Brand New: http://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-24-Inch-Screen-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0/

Also a 660ti is a GeForce from Nvidia, not a Radeon, but it happens to be the card I own and it powers 1080p perfectly fine at 60hz, but 120hz will be a challenge that may involve lowering all the settings. If you eventually get and install the G-Sync chip into this monitor, both it and the 660ti would presumably age very gracefully because you can run games without V-Sync and have the framerate fluctuate without screen tearing.

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

I don't know if this is thread in which to ask, but if I have a malfunctioning display and troubleshooting has nailed down the display itself as the problem (NOT the cable or a connector port on the PC), what are my next steps in determining if the problem is fixable or if I need to trash it?

How is the display malfunctioning? The most common issue is older LCDs that use fluorescent backlighting having the light burn out. If you can shine a light on the monitor and make out a "ghost image" that is faint and doesn't light up, you could possibly buy the same model on eBay with a damaged screen but good backlight, and put your good panel in that. These days you can find Dell IPS monitors for $120 though so it might be a better use of your time to call it a day and upgrade.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Zorilla posted:

Here are the possible failures for common symptoms:

1) Vertical lines: one or more edge ribbons that connect the top of your LCD subpanel to the circuit board on the back is failing. Either the ribbon itself has been pinched or the thermally activated bond (TAB) has come apart due to excessive heat from a CCFL lamp. If the damage is bad enough, you may see nothing but garbage on the screen, or 100% black. Failing TCON (Timing Control) boards have also been known to cause these problems, but only rarely.

3) Faint, dark image on the screen, but with no backlight: As Zero VGS mentioned, if this is what you see, your backlight isn't coming on. This can either be due to a failing inverter board or lamp. Either of these failures typically happen on laptop displays and I've never heard of this happening on a desktop display. Also, desktop displays usually have 4+ lamps running across them, so I can't imagine them all failing at the same time. I would shoot for replacing the inverter board first if they all go dark.

For (1), try pinching hard with your fingers all around the bezel of the monitor. I had a friend's HDTV with this problem and I found the one spot where pinching helped the ribbon cable under the bezel form a contact. We left a binder clip on that spot and it's been fine since.

For (3), yes, it's usually the inverter board going. But like I was saying it's usually less trouble to get a new monitor than to fix that. If you're both handy and lucky, you might be able to find a replacement board on eBay like these: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR1.TRC0.A0.Xinverter+board+lcd&_nkw=lcd+inverter+board&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Gwaihir posted:

Right, none of the consoles can pump out anywhere close to 120 fps, nor will they properly even ask the screen to run at anything other than 60hz mode.

Hell, I can't even get my PC to do more than 60hz and I have that Asus 144hz monitor. I heard something like HDMI can't do above 1080p 60hz, is that true anymore?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Factory Factory posted:

Depends on the particular revision. HDMI 1.2 and older do not have the bandwidth for it. HDMI 1.3/1.3a and newer have the bandwidth, but resolution and framerate depend on what the standard supports as well. Only HDMI 1.4b has introduced support for 1080p120.

Frankly, I don't get HDMI fetishism for computer displays. Plug it in with DVI-DL or DisplayPort if HDMI isn't doing what you need it to.

Is the HDMI revision tied to the cable I'm using or the port on the GPU or the port on the monitor or all three?

I only recently found out DisplayPort carries audio which is mainly why I was using HDMI, that and how much more common the cables are. I had to eBay a DP cable which is still on the way. Is DP just always a step ahead of HDMI data rates?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
"I just need one without any dead pixels maaaaan, you gotta help me, I need my backlight fix."

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't been keeping up with console news but are the 8th gen things going to do 120hz? It'd be nice to have this monitor pull double duty.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Huh, this is embarrassing, I wasn't using DVI Dual Link all this time because I thought it meant I had to use two DVI cables. In my defense, all the DVI cables I've worked with before are at work where they split off for dual monitors.

Now I've got Final Fantasy Realm Reborn at 144fps, looks pretty sweet! But just messing with Windows is more pleasant, noticing the difference with my mouse cursor and Aero stuff.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
My favorite monitor for the money is on sale if you want a Dell Outlet refurb:

S2240M 21.5" 1080p IPS screen

$89 and free 3-5 day shipping after coupon: NK58QFFMB95522

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/22/campaigns/dell_outlet_hot_deals_dfh?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&dgc=IR&cid=250066&lid=4352121

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Super weak graphics cards, even the integrated graphics on your CPU, is fine to run at high resolutions and multiple monitors. Playing any sort of modern 3D game is a whole different story.

If you're not a gamer then that monitor is good to go.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
On a technical level, what prevents IPS screens from commonly having refresh above 60hz? I have a $90 Dell S-series IPS and managed to use the Nvidia control panel to clock it to 66hz before it said no mas. Are cookie cutter 120hz on the horizon?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Ruin Completely posted:

I'm a broken record and will say again that that yeah the Dell S series fills a nice role as an affordable glossy screen monitor with a near IPS quality screen, so I'd recommend that.

I own two Dell S2240M that I got refurbished from Dell for $90 each. They are $120 brand new at Microcenter. But anyway there's nothing "near IPS"about them, they are the real deal IPS. I don't get why people spend more for the same specs because these are both crystal clear 1080p with no dead pixels or backlight bleed.

The only reason I'd use another monitor is if I could find a 1080p IPS that was 23"or smaller, but could also be overclocked to 120+ hertz.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Those will be fine, they are all really overbuilt for what they list as maximum weight. Remember, the mounting brackets are VESA standards so if your monitor has the mounting holes you can even use HDTV mounts.

I'd tend towards Amazon since almost all of the mounts have Prime shipping and the returns are easier than Monoprice RMA.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The Dell S series are all glossy.

Also, it is dirt-easy to remove the antiglare filter from practically any monitor at all with that same guide, just don't gently caress up by peeling off the polarizing filter or over-soaking the towels so they get water into the panel, they need to be just damp.

I've gloss-ified many monitors and the one very important thing no one will tell you is, when you remove the antiglare filter and polarizing filter is exposed, the polarizing filter has a super-low hardness rating. Like, rubbing with paper towels can permanently scratch the thing up. Dust seems to want to stick to it from residual adhesive too. It's still better than having a blurry rear end matte screen but there's tradeoffs.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

There was a guide I read a while back that involved removing the AG coating from the top layer (I forget how) and then putting the now clear layer back on top.

All the models I've seen have always been AG -> Polarizer -> Glass

It doesn't make much sense to me to put anything over the AG but if anyone has an example I'd love to see it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Good luck, just take your time and be careful. Don't strain the ribbon cables, give yourself lots of space to work, and make sure the paper towels you place on the film are damp, a stray water drop can get sucked into the panel and take a long time to dry and cause other issues. Carefully re-dampen each hour for a couple hours. You should be able to start up a corner of the AG film with a fingernail or knife.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The S series have VGA and DVI-D plugs only, and are 1080p @ 60hz and glossy. Ultrasharps have HDMI, Displayport, USB stuff, matte screens, stands that articulate more, and other small bells/whistles. They can be 1440p and other stuff.

If you're just upgrading out of an ancient TN, the 21.5 or the 23 inch Dell S series will blow you away. I've been getting the 21.5 to replace all the failing monitors at work and have been nabbing them for $90-120

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

krooj posted:

Anyone here bought the Apple Thunderbolt display as a refurb? They regularly retail for a cool $1k but are available for $800 refurbished. I've bought refurbished Apple products before without any issues, but never something like a display where you can have all sorts of QA issues with the panel. I suppose they would allow a return, but it's a pain in the rear end. This display would replace a HP ZR24W as my primary monitor, which has been a really great unit. I guess I could also look at the ZR2740 or even the ZR30W... Dell is another option, but there are too many horror stories in this thread about QA issues.

Well, all the other cheap Korean IPS screens are mostly Apple's QA rejects, and most of those have nothing obviously wrong with them, so it seems like a safe bet if Apple accepted it in the first place.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Fucks sake, the Philips G-Sync isn't even IPS, so it's like functionally identical to the ASUS, probably the same panel. I'd settle for any drat 1080p G-Sync IPS.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The ultimate troll:

AMD Free-Sync

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7641/amd-demonstrates-freesync-free-gsync-alternative-at-ces-2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Factory Factory posted:

We may need a thread title change soon - Toshiba laptops with 15.6" 4K display. ~293 PPI.

If that was a standalone monitor I'd buy it in a second. Glad to know the panel now exists.

GPUs are probably never going to catch up to monitors from here on out, are they?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Dell announcing a 40" 4k G-Sync Compatible CRT

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I just wanted to see if someone would believe that :)

Hell I'd still use CRT if it wasn't for being such a power hog. Thiefs are out of shape these days from stealing flat screens, they can't handle a CRT like in the old days.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

simcole posted:

Question: My wife is starting to work from home some. I have a semi-gaming desktop with 2 widescreen dvi monitors. She wants to be able to use one of my monitors with her company issued laptop like she does at the office with her docking station. What options do I have to make this happen? I don't want to crawl underneath, unplug and replug every time she works from home.

Why don't you hop on eBay and spend like two bucks for another monitor cable, then she can plug her laptop into one of the monitors without you having to crawl under the desk.

Bluedust posted:

...what?

I wanted to play the game while watching the game tonight.

This is the first time in all my years that I refuse to give the solution to someone's problem because of what I saw after clicking their custom title :(

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nephilm posted:

Don't consoles run at 30fps?

No, they all run at 60 frasmes a second, either interlaced or progressive, since like the SNES with few exceptions. Games can be capped at 30 but it isn't a hardware limitation. I was a QA tester for Dance Central on X360 and I was in charge of testing for any framerate drops below 60fps because it was vital to following the mocap routines.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nephilm posted:

Oh, I meant that sweet graphicz console titles like call of gears: modern battlefield fratboy halo shooter are v-synced to 30fps.

Some are, some aren't. Timespliters for PS2 comes to mind as locked to 60 FPS even in split screen.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

CitizenKain posted:

Is there any reason to lean towards ordering a monitor direct from Dell instead of Amazon? I'm looking at a U2713HM from Amazon, and its $620 instead of $699 from Dell, but some people in the comments mention Amazon getting older panel revisions.

If Dell is more expensive then I'd definitely go with Amazon, Dell's service and support can be pretty godawful, they botched two of my last four orders and I had to spend an hour on the phone to fix them. On the other hand Dell monitors can be way cheaper on Dell.com, especially if you buy refurb and use the 15%-30% coupons they toss out like candy.

Also Dell gives their own Amazon Prime thing for free called Dell Advantage, you get free 2-day shipping and 5% back on any order as a 3-month-expiring coupon to use on the next order.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 7, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
They still don't have any off the shelf 1440p monitors below 27" right? Anything on the horizon?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
It's not IPS, don't get it. You can get an IPS from the same brand for the same price, I'd find you one but I'm on a cell phone.

Edit: this is IPS right at $159 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009483

or to meet your budget you can get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-CFGKT-IPS-LED-21-5-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B009H0XQPU/ or these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260109

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 8, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Call them, they might rather price match than have it returned.

I've even had friends want to return computers to Dell and Dell "bribed" them to keep them with partial additional refunds, to the tune of ~$100 more back. They're pretty flexible since the reps can see what their margin actually is and how low they can go and still make money.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
If you have a huge boner for G-Sync, TN is still the only game in town. I actually bought that one monitor compatible with the DIY kit in anticipation, but now I'm reselling it after getting a taste of IPS. I'd rather watch the screen tearing than having my whole image washed out.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

horchata posted:

What exactly does the Dell 90 day limited warranty contain? Is it exactly the same as their 3 year warranty or does it not have as many bells and whistles.

edit:

Am I missing something here that'll actually give me $100 off and not $60?

Call them up and have them do it over the phone maybe. Don't forget to sign up for Dell Advantage which gives you 5% back as a gift card, and two day shipping, both free.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MondayHotDog posted:

Anyone have an idea on the ETA for IPS G-Sync monitors? 1080p and 60Hz preferred. Can't find anything on it, except maybe late 2014. I really want G-Sync but I need an IPS/PLS for artwork, and I don't have room on my desk for two screens. It'll be a shame to replace the nice NEC MultiSync I got last year, but gaming comes first I suppose.

Nvidia has pretty much come out and said that no one has found a way to make it work with IPS yet; technical reasons mostly involving response times. I'm sure it'll make headlines once someone figures it out.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 10, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Alereon posted:

G-Sync works fine with IPS monitors, there just aren't any that support 120Hz due to the higher response time. They are pushing 120Hz TN panels with G-Sync for the best possible smoothness, even though you'd get the most significant improvement and overall experience with 60Hz on an IPS panel.

Nah, I know Anand said "oh yeah it's fine", but when people complained that all nine or so current and announced panels were TN, an Nvidia rep made a semi-official post saying they haven't worked it out yet because of the panel's limitations. I don't have the time to find the post but I promise I didn't imagine it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

Has anyone seen these coming out?

http://www.samsung.com/levant/consumer/computers-peripherals/monitors/led-monitor/LU28D590DS/ZN
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-28-In...rds=UHD+monitor

3840x2160@60 UHD 28" Samsung monitor coming out next month; $699 on Amazon. Okay, it's TN, which I know is the devil in here, but dem pixels. :stare:

I checked the last 10 or so pages and didn't see anything, but maybe I'm on crack. :iiam:

Dell has already had a $700 4k TN panel since CES: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=210-ACHO

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Sure, I guess. I wish TN panels could be made illegal to sell from now on, like incandescent light bulbs.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I seriously need a small IPS monitor. The smallest I've seen is the 21.5" Dell S series.

Is there any production IPS monitor smaller than that? Or, what about those eBay control board that you plug the ribbon cable from a panel into? Are those in any way standardized, so that I could rip an IPS display from like an Android tablet?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I'd do that Retina hack in a heartbeat but I'm trying to output from a phone (creating a digital rear-view mirror for my car) so I'd need either HDMI or DVI.

That and I think the phone defaults to outputting in it's native res of 720p so I'd need whatever scaler board to be able to handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Christoff posted:

Dell 24" Class Widescreen LED Monitor ST2421L $150 at tigerdirect

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...com&SEG=E&lk=13

Not IPS, get that poo poo outta here. You can get Dell IPS the same size for the same money with a little looking. Also affiliate links are a no-no.

Edit: "Used - Like New" 24-inch Dell IPS on Amazon for $150, as of this writing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B009H0XQRI/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-CFGKT-IPS-LED-21-5-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B009H0XQPU/ for a brand new 21.5 inch Dell IPS, which I prefer to the 24-inch because the pixel density looks better. (I'm posting from one right now). Microcenter carries this model for $120 new.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 30, 2014