Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If I want a 24" monitor with:
lots of connections
awesome color fidelity and depth
good price

a refurbished u2410 for around $350 is a no-brainer, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

movax posted:

Yep, it meets all that criteria. Who are you buying it from? Make sure you still get the Premium Panel guarantee so you can keep RMAing until you get a display with zero dead pixels, etc.

If I bought it now, which is doubtful, it would be off eBay. It's manufacturer refurbished, not sure about what qualifies for Premium Panel guarantee...

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I previously posted:

If I want a 24" monitor with:
lots of connections
awesome color fidelity and depth
good price

a refurbished u2410 for around $350 is a no-brainer, right?

What if I remove the "lots of connections" part? What's my best option for a sRBG-gamut IPS panel in the 24" range?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

movax posted:

You get what Dell did if they removed the "lots of connections" part, the U2412M. 6-bit panel, drops to only digital connections. ZR24W from HP isn't a bad choice either.

6-bit isn't the same gamut though, correct?

Also what about something like the NEC P221W?

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 23, 2011

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

NOTinuyasha posted:

Does Dell sell any 1440p displays with the same sort of glossy screen as the S2340M? I bought two S2340Ms at Best Buy a while ago and they're absolutely perfect, on par with the quality of the cinema display I have them sitting next to. Initial research says no but I might be missing something. Any other brands that might have something similar?

The 2340M is pretty criminally overlooked, as far as I can tell.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I can't find the Auria EQ276W at Microcenter anywhere and haven't seen it in stock in a long while. Are there any clones/competitors I should look at in the $400 27" 1440p range?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

1997 posted:

Why don't you order one from Korea? Do you need the extra inputs? If not then something like this works.

Nice. Are the perfect pixel ones usually worth it?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

4K seems to be on the horizon at this point. The ASUS PB287Q is going to do 4K @ 60hz for $800 sometime in Q2. What kind of GPU are you going to need to drive something like that at reasonable (non-Ultra) settings?

A very very powerful one. It's literally 4x the pixels of 1080p so.... Stuff like a 290x doesn't even really make high-end games at 4k very playable: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290x-hawaii-review,3650-17.html

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Zorilla posted:

I've had both LG IPS and Samsung PLS panels, and I think I prefer PLS because they seem to have more vibrant color and better backlight/color uniformity based on my personal experience.

I don't think I've made the same observations about the matte AG coating between the two OEMs. My current X-Star's matte finish is pretty much indistinguishable from LG-paneled monitors I've used in the past, such as the Dell U2713H/HM and HP ZR2740w. Same with the IPS glow; aside from the U2713H, which is a bit of an oddball and not for general purpose use anyway, the amount of glow has been similar between all IPS/PLS monitor's I've viewed in the past.

I can't say I've seen many glossy PLS panels around- that's probably more of an LG thing due to OEM demand. In fact, the only true glossy Korean PLS monitor I've seen was one that only just showed up within the last month: the Monex M27QSM. I haven't heard much talk about it, so I have no idea how it stacks up to the X-Star/QNIX or anything else with the LTM270DL02 PLS panel.

I have a glossy Dell 23" IPS right now (a cheaper one from Microcenter) and I love the color fidelity for photography work and general niceness, but I have 3 windows 12 feet behind me and the glare during the day gets kind of old. I guess I should go for the matte PLS?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

You know what does all those things you mentioned even better than your current monitor? An ipod nano! Just wire one of those up to your desktop as a monitor and you'll have the lightest, space-and-energy-savingest, coolest running monitor on the planet!

The worst strawman right here.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Smashing Link posted:

I actually kind of miss having to hit the degauss button :(

Wasn't this a goon stereotype thing on the ASMR-weirdness level a few years ago?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is there any reason to look at the HP ZR2740w vs. one of the Korean panels?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

GokieKS posted:

Warranty/service, and you can get it from a retailer (like Micro Center) where you can return it a lot easier if you have problems. In terms of features of the monitor itself, not really.

Eh, Micro Center has 30 day return on monitors (maybe even only 15), so that's not a HUGE draw. With all the potential for issues, the 2 or 3 year replacement warranty seems appealing, though. Cost:benefit analysis is hard on this, though. I've heard only bad things about the HP warranty process but maybe that's just isolated issues.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

That AOC one looks fantastic spec-wise. How do they compare in terms of quality to, say, Dell or Asus?

Just by how it looks I'd be REALLY unsurprised to learn it was the exact same thing as the Dell S2340M with a different coating. Eh, I guess it has speakers and more inputs, though.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Clark Nova posted:

The ultrasharp U2412M is $230 on amazon right now. No idea how long the deal will last.

Someone tell me how much better this is than the S2340M in real-world situations? I'd like the biggest color gamut I can get for the money. The glossiness of the S2340M, combined with the windows in my office, make it kind of annoying, too.

Edit: oh man, 16:10, dope.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Splinter posted:

I'm looking for a 27" 1440p IPS for programming, photography and general use. I do care about color accuracy (sRGB). I don't game much anymore so I'm not too concerned with input lag.

So far I've been looking at a Monoprice and Dell U2713HM. Is the Dell the way to go for color accuracy since it comes pre-calibrated? I've been leaning towards the U2713HM due to color calibration, longer warranty, superior stand and matte screen, but is it really worth close to twice the price as the Monoprice?

Man, the U2713HM is $600 at Newegg? I think I know what I am saving up for now, if the pre-calibration means it's going to be better than the more basic HP offering at $400 or so.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Nephilm posted:

Pre-calibration just means it's going to be slightly better at color reproduction than the off-the-assembly-lines average; if you're serious about color accuracy you'll still need to buy/borrow a colorimeter.

The anand reviews have it as their best (as of review date) off-the-line specs...

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Essentially new 27" Qnix worth $300, right? Is the "matte type screen" like OVERLY matte? Or is that the semi gloss one?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is daily driving a Ultra HD monitor challenging? I don't have room for 2 displays side-by-side, so I am looking at something like a Dell P2715Q. I don't care about gaming, so I assume my 270X can push those pixels for windows or whatever. However, I'm concerned about random programs looking like trash, or resolution/scaling rearing their ugly heads. I also run Windows 7 now, so maybe upgrading to Windows 10 would be better for handling that?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You'll still run into scaling problems in Win10, unfortunately they still haven't really solved that stuff on the desktop.

So what kind of issues are we talking about here, exactly?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Okay, Xmas money in hand and looking at finally upgrading my 23" cheapo Dell. I'd like to get a 27" 1440p panel, I think, as that seems like a nice balance between usable resolution and screen size without dealing with scaling issues.

My primary concerns are color accuracy and picture quality. I'd like to at least be able to play stuff like Overwatch without issues, as well, but ultra awesome gaming capability isn't that important to me. I'd kinda like to get some kind of Freesync capability for future-proofing, I think?

I'm currently looking at the Asus MG279Q, which Tom's loved in basically every way. However, it seems like it's a bit old now so I'm not sure if a better total package exists. Any thoughts on this?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If I decide to skip any kind of *sync and just want an awesome, great color, etc etc 27" 1440p monitor, the Dell U2715H is still pretty much king in the price range of $400, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

27" of 1440p real estate makes 23" 1080p seem like I was using some kind of postage stamp. Running apps full screen feels really stupid, though. Web browsers look dumb. Running stuff snapped to the side is unusual for me... behavioral changes due to a monitor is bizarre to have to experience.