Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Do 120hz tv's allow for 120 frames per second from a computer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

DrDork posted:

As a general rule, no. Obviously, check the spec sheet (since there's no technological reason, other than that HDTVs generally use HDMI chips that aren't powerful enough to support it, but eventually that'll probably change), but I've yet to see one that supported anything above 1920x1080@60p.

Thanks for the reply. For instance I found a led lcd 120hz tv on newegg and I went to Visio's website and not even the tech specs specify. It list Computer Support: 1920x1080, 1360x768, 800x600, 640x480 via VGA/HDMI and Signal Compatibility: Supports 1080P (FHDTV), 1080I(HDTV), 720P(HDTV), 480P(EDTV), 480I(SDTV) but no mention of refresh or frames per second for computer support, and just 120hz refresh for the tv period, which could mean its just inserting extra frames or black frames instead of doing 120 discrete frames of input.

I don't care about 3d stuff at all, but I would like to have a monitor capable of displaying more than 60 frames per second that's not a TN panel. A lcd tv seem like a good compromise. I'm open to other suggestions that might these requirements.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Leercore posted:

Does anyone own or have any experience with the BenQ M2700HD? I'm after a largish monitor I can mount to my wall and connect my Foxtel box to, so I can watch TV from my desk, where I am for the majority of my day. So far this sounds like the sort of thing I'm after, speakers built in, even if they're kind of lovely (undoubtedly) and a remote, which would be helpful.

I use a Samsung 32" tv as my monitor. It has a pva screen I believe? Its a really nice screen and I'm really happy with. The only thing is that sometimes I run out of desktop room when I'm working on stuff and it would be silly to try and dual screen with something this big on my desk.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

DrDork posted:

Not a whole lot, sadly. There are still various issues with using a TV as a PC monitor, to the point where it's still not recommended. Still, if you're going to go that route, smaller TVs will always result in higher image quality than larger ones, and one that supports 1920x1080p input via a computer-aware HDMI/DVI port will minimize the fuckery that the TV will impose on the image. In that sense the Sony looks like a decent pick, but it'll still never look as good as a normal PC monitor.

I have a 32" 1080p Samsung as my main screen and its always looked fantastic to me. Text is nice once I turned the sharpness all the way down, colors are great, and I don't notice any ghosting. I've sat infront of my coworkers Dell 30" ultrasharps from 2010 and other than pixel density, I didn't notice any difference in picture quality. Maybe if I had them side by side.

As far as current generation stuff, I don't have any recommendations but Samsung would be the first brand I would look at.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

DrDork posted:

27" 1920x1080 ewwwwww! The only reason I could see for buying such a monitor is if you're going to be looking at it from across the room or something.

I rock a 32" 1920 x 1080 "monitor". Its awesome and I'm like 3 feet away from it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Do any of you have a recommendation for a portable monitor? I'm starting to dabble in coding on my 13" Macbook Pro and the single display is killing me.

I've found out about this AOC monitor. 16 inches with a 1368 x 768 display.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/21/aocs-16-inch-portable-monitor-sucks-power-video-from-your-usb/

Then there's this Toshiba which is 14 inches but the same resolution.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/03/toshibas-portable-usb-monitor-cheap-enough-to-be-useful/

And finally Lenovo has one which is also 14 inches with 1366 x 768 but is the lightest out of all three.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/thinkvision-lt1421-portable-monitor-that-actually-works-review/4696

Has any one used one of these? Is there a portable monitor out there with better resolution at about the same size I don't know about? There's an old Dell XPS laptop with a 17" 1900 x 1200 display I would love to be able to turn into one of these things.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

movax posted:

Nope, never used any of them though I imagine they carry quite a premium for being "portable". Where would you be using this normally? Would you setup with your MBP and portable display at a coffee shop or something? Do you really need a dedicated portable, "travel" monitor?

They clock in for around $200 or so if you're curious.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Cwapface posted:

*Possible gross stupidity incoming*

I recently bought a beautiful 50" Panasonic plasma, which has been constantly playing movies and TV right next to my desktop, to which I have two LG W2753VC (big but cheap TN panels) monitors connected. It's starting to really get me down when I switch my gaze from one to the other just how piss poor the viewing angle, depth of blacks and colours most things about the monitors are.

Is it *really* such a stupid idea to replace at least one of those lovely monitors with a high-end 32" LED LCD TV? Like a nice sharp Samsung or Panasonic or something?

The quote above seems to identify the main issues as pixel density and the colourspace.

Pixel density doesn't seem like it ought to be a huge issue if I'm going from 1080p on a 27" screen to the same on the 32" in screen. The pixels will be bigger, yeah, but is that going to be a huge deal? I'm basing most of my decisions around gaming here, but I do do a lot of internet loving-around and writing. Text isn't going to be totally hosed at that size/resolution, is it?

Colourspace isn't something I understand very well, but I'm taking the problem with TVs as monitors in this regard to have to do with their inaccurate colour reproduction for artistic/editing work. This is not something I care very much about. I do the odd touch-up in Photoshop and the odd bit of hacking a video together in Premiere, but I can't see myself caring about serious colour fidelity, unless PC games are somehow going to look wrong on a TV (which based on how BF3 looks on my big plasma doesn't seem very likely).

So, is this really such a dumb idea for my needs as the OP makes out? I guess you'd be wondering why I don't just get a U2412M (I really don't want to go down in panel size) or a U2711 or U3011 (I also really don't want to game at a larger native resolution than 1920x1200), and I guess partly I'm asking if I should slap myself for wanting anything else, but I really don't understand the downside of a small but high quality TV as a monitor for my situation.

Thanks for any advice :)

Hey I know this is a late reply, but I currently use a Samsung 32 1080p tv as my main monitor. I believe its a s-pva panel. At work I use a 23 inch monitor with an 2048 x 1152 resolution and the TV is 32" and 1920x1080 and personally, the pixel density has never been the issue that people make it out to be. Image quality is fantastic, I don't notice any ghosting, and I feel like I have more flexibility with my display. When I first picked up the TV for my computer, I had my xbox 360 running into my CRT using the VGA adapter, so it very beneficial to have one display that I could use for my computer, games, and if I ever got around to it, TV. So I'm all for it.

edit: The only thing is I had to turn sharpness all the way off to make text readable. Once I did that the tv was golden.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 5, 2012

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

UndyingShadow posted:

Agreed!

27" 1080P displays are terrible if you actually want to use it as a monitor. The dot size is too big and you end up looking all over the screen because everything is just blown up.

A small TV/secondary video monitor, sure, but nowhere near the quality of a 1440P display.

I use a 32" 1080p tv as a primary monitor and this is not an issue. You would have to be RIGHT up on the screen to experience it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What about this?

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Cabinet-Mount-iPad-2/dp/B005NHR6KM

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I bought two U2412M's from Newegg when they went on special and I'm having serious buyer's remorse right now. I have big desk in my room but its not quite big enough where I can have both monitors in landscape side by side and see comfortably. I've compensated by turning one monitor into portrait layout but now I've noticed the color is not consistent across the whole panel. With the monitor in portrait the bottom is a lot yellower than the top.

My display before this was a 32" 1080p Samsung tv that everyone likes to crap on as a display solution. With all the inputs, built in speakers, and the ability to sit way back in my chair and read comfortably, going two these two 24" I feel like I made a mistake. Maybe a 27" would be the way to go for me.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 2, 2012

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Pvt Dancer posted:

Exactly the same setup, but my vertical monitor suffers from slightly blurry text. It goes away when I put it in landscape mode. Is this is a driver / windows thing I can fix?

Check to make sure Windows isn't putting the resolution at 1080p for one of the monitors even though they are 1920 x 1200. My computer keeps doing that for one of the monitors and I don't get it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

chippy posted:

Pretty sure, yeah. It's an old card, an 8800GTX. I'm pretty sure it just has the 2 x DVI ports on it. Lack of sound is no issue, I can just hook up some speakers to the sound card, I think the TV might actually have line-ins on it. I prefer separate speakers to using the weedy built in ones you normally get on TVs anyway.

I thought it was possible but I read this on http://compreviews.about.com/od/video/a/HDMI.htm:

So I thought I'd check with you guys, I don't have the TV yet (but I don't have a choice over which I'm getting, it's second hand, I'm just waiting for it to turn up), so I thought if I was going to need to buy a newer card for it with HDMI out I could do it in advance.

Wait what? Maybe I'm misinterpreting that quote but I hooked up my TV to my video card with a dvi to hdmi cable no problem. For sound, older card have a two pin connector for audio IN. You can take spdif out from your motherboard or soundcard, plug it into the videocard, and the video card will send sound over the dvi to hdmi cable to have sound and video going into your tv. True story.

Newer Nvidia card don't need to do the audio pins. They just do it automagically. I have a gtx 260 that requires the cable and a gt220 that does not. So somewhere in that time frame they switched.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I've looked at the Dell 29" super wide monitor and have considered it. I can see where they get the idea for it, its pretty much like having two 4:3 monitors without the bezel in the center. That seems real nice. However every time I start to get tempted by one I think to myself, "If I want 2560 x 1080 I can get the same thing out of a 27" monitor and I get an extra 360 vertical pixels".

I was thinking why would anyone ever go for one of those when I looked at the physical dimensions, the 29" monitor is 27.6" wide while the 27" monitor from Dell is 25.5" wide. I really wish I could get a monitor with 2560 x 1440 resolution but keep that 27.6 width. That would make the monitor a 31.3 panel size, roughly what I used to have but with a higher resolution panel. It's a bummer that you can get 1080p in all different sizes but if you want 1440p its 27" or nothing.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Abel Wingnut posted:

Has anyone used the U2913WM? Thoughts?

Haven't used it, haven't seen it in person, but have been doing a lot of research on it. The pluses are it's wider than a 30" Dell monitor by .26 of an inch. The thing is, you could get the same viewing area PLUS 360 additional vertical pixels if you go with a Dell 27" monitor. As long as you can deal with a panel that is 2 inches narrower. The 29" inch monitors are supposed to have some sort of display software that's supposed to do stuff with program windows. But I haven't bothered to look for details on it.

Mr.Radar posted:

Based on the quoted viewing angles it looks like it's an IPS-panel display, and Dell is generally a good brand for monitors, but it's also a 27" 1080p screen so the pixels will be pretty large and it won't show any more detail than a 20" 1080p screen would. At that physical size you really want to get 1440p or higher like the U2713HM or one of the Korean import monitors.

And I'm here to say the "screen door" effect is not as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. My primary monitor was a 32" samsung 1080p tv and I've gone to Dell u2412m dual screens. I would have to put my nose on either screen before I could start to tell a difference in pixel pitch. So don't be afraid to give it a try and see for yourself.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Speaking of U2412M's I've put my two for sell in SAMART. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525977 Just a heads up for anyone who would want to get a pair on the cheap.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Aatrek posted:

Wow, my new pair of U2312HM's just showed up. Hell of a step up from my old 1680x1050's. Goddamned bright, too.

One of my now-replaced E207WFP monitors is now up for sale in SA-Mart.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526076

Hey how wide do those 23's measure side by side in landscape for both monitors?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Aatrek posted:

3840x1080 (1920x2).

Hehe, my bad I meant in physical dimensions.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kiresays posted:

Having trouble deciding between a TV and using it as a TV/monitor or a nice big monitor. I already have a computer monitor, so this would be my main screen and my current would move to secondary screen.

I read the OP, but does anyone have any personal opinions on this, which they prefer and why?

I used a 32" Samsung tv for a monitor for a long. For everyone voting against I wonder how many of them have actually done it and how many are just echoing what they've heard. I know with my tv I had to turn sharpness all the way down to get the text to stop looking messed up. But a 32" screen at 1080p looked fine even from just a few feet away, you have to get a pretty big TV and be pretty close before you start to see pixels in my experience. I have Ultrasharp u2412m monitors that I'm selling, and could tell no difference in color between them and my TV. Having built-in speakers, a remote to turn the tv on or off, and all the different inputs was nice.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kiresays posted:

Having trouble deciding between a TV and using it as a TV/monitor or a nice big monitor. I already have a computer monitor, so this would be my main screen and my current would move to secondary screen.

I read the OP, but does anyone have any personal opinions on this, which they prefer and why?

I know I already answered once but I just packed up my two 24" monitors and have moved back to my 32" tv for now until I get another monitor. After being on a 24" 1920 x 1200 monitor and now going to a 32" 1080p tv, the tv is stupid big. I used this as my one and only display for several years, but drat its big. I think I'm going to go a 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor and see how that works for me. The only reason I moved away from this tv in the first place was running out of room on screen when multitasking. However, I'm sitting at 26" inches away from the tv and it does really fill up my vision. When playing games, especially racing games, its awesome. FPS's are nice too, and since 1080p isn't that much resolution to push, I never had to have a super nice video card for my setup either.

I say try it out for a while. Especially if you can set the monitor 30" away.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I went to the U2713HM from my U2412M's and I like the monitor pretty well. Text can be uncomfortably small in web browsers. When I increase text size it can make pages look all fucky. Overall though I feel like its the best compromise between all my options.

Also I got one of these and plugged it into the monitor's usb hub and it makes a nice difference to the ambiance of my room.
http://www.frys.com/product/6634394
Note not my picture.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

MancXVI posted:

Seems like of pointless to me when the U2713HM has a higher resolution.

I thought so too. But now that I have the U2713HM I realize that the U2913HM will have a bigger panel size. For as uncomfortably tiny as text can get on this monitor, that may be worth it to people.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

AngryGuy posted:

So I'm looking to add a third monitor to my setup. Originally I was going to grab another 16:10 24" to go along with my existing two and have the possibility of doing nvidia surround but realistically I doubt I would use it very much. I think the better option is going with a 27" or 30" and I'm thinking 27" is the better choice for gaming. With that being said, is the HP ZR2740W going to be my best choice for a monitor in this size if response time is one of my biggest concerns? I've also heard the newest revision has a less aggressive AG coating than the Dell models which I would appreciate. The only bummer for me that I can see is the lack of scaler since I'd like the ability to hook my 360 up to it as well but I can use one of my other monitors for that purpose.

edit: I guess another one of my options is getting the nicest 27" or 30" I can get (disregarding response time for the most part) and then buying a 24" 120hz just for the times when I'm playing twitch games. I'm just not willing to give up IPS on my main display for when I'm not playing games. One of my 24" is on its deathbed anyway and I'd like to stay with 3 monitors so chances are I'll have to replace it soon anyway.

I've had a Dell u2412 and now a u2713hm. The antiglare on the u2713hm is much less aggressive than the u2412m, its almost "semi-gloss" in appearance. Now that I have a 27" I think if I had budget to choose from a 27" or a 30" I would go 30" for the multitasking potential. Think about it like this, you can have a full length 1280x1600 window on onside, and then two 1280x800 windows stacked on top of each other. That's like one monitor in portrait and two laptop display windows all on one monitor. With a 27" monitor, stacking two windows on top of each other the windows get crowded.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

fookolt posted:

Do you play on a 2560x monitor? I pretty much play everything at 1920x on my Dell 30" and I have never had a problem with blurriness or anything for the last 5 years.

Yeah I was about to say I have a 2560x1440 27" that I recently plugged my ps3 into and the image looked nice and crisp.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Do you have poor eyesight? Text should be more clear on the higher resolution monitor so I'm guessing your problem is it's just smaller and harder to see because you haven't turned on text scaling to a comfortable level.

Text scaling on windows 7 at least is very clumsy. If you set the dpi up to 150% then the search box in iTunes get messed up for one very specific example. Then with these forums the text becomes hard to read without either zooming in or specifying a larger font in the browser. And when you specify a larger default font all kinds of little oddities pop up everywhere. So sometimes its just nice to have a nice big screen at 1080p. I guess you could specify a non native resolution for a 1440 monitor and hope its not too blurry.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

DarkJC posted:

It's really stupid to blame Apple for that one, there simply is no great support for it at the OS level. Sure they could have put in some extra effort but then they would have the one lone app that worked in a sea of apps that still had a bunch of glitches because Microsoft has put no effort into high-DPI scaling.

I'm not sure you're aiming this reply at me but I'm in no way blaming Apple for windows poor DPI scaling. Its just one specific example I've dealt with as I've switched between different size and resolution of monitors in the last 6 months.

Edit: spelling

Coredump fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 28, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

unpronounceable posted:

Off the top of my head, window snapping, more robust window movement hotkeys, window resizing hotkeys, a much more robust wallpaper slideshow, and multi-monitor taskbars.

I mainly use it for all the window management things. It's really useful having the option to size windows to 1/4 or 3/4 the width of your monitor, especially when you have multiple chat windows open all the time. If I were to get one of the 27" Korean monitors, I'd probably make hotkeys to resize a window to 1/5 or 1/6 the width of the monitor. I find that about around 450 pixels is ideal for chat windows, and with a fraction, I'll be able to use the whole space on the monitor.

FWIW, I think I paid about $25 for it, and I'm really happy with it. I have two monitors connected to my desktop.

That is one thing windows really needs to build on. The window snapping in windows 7 was awesome. But ever since I got turned onto winsplit revolution from the forums here and better snap tool on OSX it really highlights what can be done with window snapping. Winsplit will split windows into 1/3, 1/2, or 2/3 of the screen or divide up windows where you can have a total of six windows on the screen at once. However winsplit you really need to use the keyboard to get the most out of it as their drag and drop window zones kinda suck. That's where better snap tool shines, its drag and drop zones pick up a lot better.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Chinook posted:

Yeah, I'm just looking for something with a native 1920x1080 that is just plain larger. I don't want to buy garbage, but I'd like to avoid spending more than $600 or so.

Ignore the OP and start looking at TV's. I ran a 32" Samsung as my primary monitor for several years and it was awesome. Only reason I moved away from it was I need more on screen real estate. Having a remote, built in speakers, and all those inputs was awesome. Text looked fine, just had to turn my sharpness all the way down to 0. No screen door effect and couldn't see any individual pixels. The Samsung also had a spva panel instead of IPS and the colors, image quality, etc. compare favorably to the Dell U2713HM I now use.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

4:2:0 don't use a TV as a monitor every day.

Have you used a TV as a monitor?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

One of my friends does, and I get a headache if I use his computer for more than a few minutes.

I have no idea if my TV had 4:4:4 color sampling. I do know I ran one for at least 3 years and I nor any of the 5 or 6 people who used my computer ever had any problems with headaches. If anything having text that large let their eyes completely relax and still be able to read. I see a lot of people dismiss the idea of using TV's for monitors but I just wonder how many of have personal experience with it.

In your case I wonder if you had the TV as your personal monitor if you could have calibrated it to stop the headaches. Also I'm really curious if your friend had his sharpness adjusted correctly because on my set it did crazy poo poo to text on screen. Turned it all the way down, no problems.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kuddles posted:

Does anyone here use a U2713HM for gaming around here? I'm thinking of making the jump to a 27" monitor and buying a Dell Ultrasharp hasn't let me down in the past, and I don't do any professional-level color work so the U2713H will probably be overkill for me. The only thing giving me pause is the complaints about "moderate input lag" in reviews, but as usual it's hard to tell if that's something I'm going to notice in real-world circumstances.

I have the U2713HM. Input lag is news to me, feels just as good as the u2412 I had before it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

So after searching on the internet and reading the OP, are 27" 16:10 monitors not manufactured for some reason?

I want something bigger than my 24" 1080p monitor and really want a 16:10, and there's no way I'm going to spend $1,000+ on a 30" monitor.

Look at the 30" monoprice monitor. I don't think you're going to find 16:10 in a 27" size.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Nope (only one I've got, yeah I know.) and the length is just a few feet from monitor to tower. Sorry to keep shooting you down like this! I'll try to wrassle up a different DVI cable.

Order one from monoprice if you gotta. Great place to pick up cables like hdmi, dvi, and ethernet.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Well it's about 2700 dollars less than I spent on my 2.1 system, although I'm including preamp, DAC, cables, etc in that figure.

Oh the unintentional comedy in this is great.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Newegg has the U2412M on sale for $260 with promo code EMCXNWW49, which is about as cheap as it gets.

I was coming here to post that as well. If you end up with two you get 48" of monitor side to side, which is a hell of a thing.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

HJE-Cobra posted:

Thanks for the advice. The Dell Ultrasharps do sound nice, and that 23" version might be good, since it's just under $200 now even. I don't think I really need that "professional gaming" monitor.

Though looking at other brand monitors under $200, I noticed this Asus monitor...
http://www.amazon.com/VX238H-W-23-Inch-Screen-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00CPCIPSU/

It's a white monitor! I'd like a white monitor to match the rest of my system. I wasn't going to worry about it really, but I happened to stumble across this one and it seems like it might be decent. Though it isn't IPS, of course, but it's only $175, and Asus makes decent stuff right?

EDIT - Apparently Asus has a 23" IPS monitor for $230 or so, but it's silver rather than white.

Keep in mind Dell's awesome ultrasharp panel warranty.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

oblomov posted:

I don't mind mild AG applications but kind of hate some of the aggressive AG I have seen on Dell and HP monitors before. Now, for office work that's actually fine, just sucks for gaming/movies. I was thinking LED backlight just because really, newer tech, should be less prone to fading/failure, etc... Is U2713 (cheaper version) significantly better? I guess I should track down some reviews.

When I went from Dell u2412's to the u2713hm I noticed the antiglare coating on the 24's was more of matte finish while the antiglare on the 27 could be described as "semi-gloss". Its very unobtrusive.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Illuminati by Nature posted:

I'll look into that - cheers. Do you think 1920X1080 would be OK for gaming on a screen that size?

I used a 32" 1080p screen for pc gaming. It will be fine.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Has anyone looked at those Seiki 4k tv's for a monitor? They seem like a pretty sweet deal. They have a 39" one for about $700. 4k @ 39" I think works out to about the same ppi as a 27" 1440p monitor. They only do 30hz at 4k resolution but for desktop and productivity I think that would be fine. Plus they are supposed to be 120hz capable if you drop them down to 1080p, would be awesome to game on. And you wouldn't have to run some crazy rear end video card to get decent frame rates. I'm kinda tempted myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

It really, really wouldn't. 30fps is just brutal for basic desktop navigation.

I don't believe you. The one person doing a review on the tv using it as a monitor said it was fine. Have you run your desktop at 30hz recently? I poked around a little and didn't see the option available but I'm going to reserve judgement until I can try it myself.