Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm a huge fan of OLED TVs but I would be very concerned with image retention on a computer monitor that has so many static elements and is used for longer periods than a TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

mcbexx posted:

Aside from the hefty price tag, this looks like the first 34" ultrawide without any drawbacks or compromises.

Yeah I think the Predator X34 has no drawbacks at half the price once you get what you ordered.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The Dell U3415W is like $594 w/ free shipping on Dell Outlet.com

30 day no questions asked return policy including free return shipping if you're unhappy with it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I bought the U3415W as posted earlier. If a Predator x34 comes up for sale at 720 refurbished I may use the 30 day return policy. That's they only monitor that I think could compare and not cost over 800

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

The Dell has bad input lag and overdrive, which is why I would never get it for gaming.

I doubt I'll notice and I need a new monitor this week. Tom's Hardware had it as one of the best 60z ips screens. PC Mag had it at low input lag with their Leo Bodnar tester.

I mean, if I can get a Predator X34 with 100hz and g-sync for a few bucks more, I'll do it. Or if I get it I have 30 days to send it back free of charge if it really is that bad.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Anyway, are Dell's outlet/refurbished monitors to be trusted?

I will find out in a week but their return policy seems to be 0 risk.

rage-saq posted:

The input lag is not bad, its more than fine for gaming, it is at or better than most LCDs that have been made for gaming up until the 120/144hz gaming monitors came out. The TFTCentral review even states its fine for gaming and don't consider the overdrive to be a serious issue.
Sure if you compare it to the $1200 X34 it doesn't do quite as good but thats also approximately twice as expensive as the U3415W.

Exactly.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm advocating the refurb X34, if that wasn't clear. I got one for $730 and it's pretty great.

. Also the product, as a whole, has an issue with the half the backlights not coming back on after waking from sleep but a power cycle fixes that.

Still though, for only about $100-150 more, you're making essentially no compromises compared to the Dell.

Here's the compromise: it's hard to find in stock, multiple reports of people getting wrong or broken versions. I need a monitor.

And if the Dell won't wake from sleep it'll go back risk free within the return period.

Also, I will use the picture in picture feature to play Xbox while loving around on the rest of the screen. I don't think the x34 does that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Out of curiosity has the monitor arrived?

Yes it arrived and just got it set up. There's so backlight bleed but I don't notice it unless I choose an input that isn't active.

I am using the pip feature and got another 50 off of it from dell outlet so it's pretty good. I am going to see if they will do an exchange but I am very happy with it. My video card is not.

Also it's goddamn huge and ridiculous.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm running a Radeon 6850

And yeah it's crazy. The picture in picture thing is really cool for my Xbox so I can watch tv while I have more room than before. I have a bunch of finance spreadsheets open for work that I can actually see all of. It's madness.

I don't know if I would spend 1200 on the highest end model when oled 1080 tvs are 1399 but for less than 500 this feels like an amazing upgrade. Especially when compared to my old apple Cinema Display that I sold for 280 on CL.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mine came expertly packed and smudge free with a backplate. It had padding around the screen and the display was fully covered.

The photo looks worse than it does to my eyes.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yes I use DP and no I don't have issues waking from sleep. I'm using a radeon 6850.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cockmaster posted:

https://pcmonitors.info/dell/dell-up3017q-4k-uhd-oled-monitor/

30", 3840 x 2160, OLED, 120Hz, $5000. How long do you suppose it'll be before the price comes down to something approaching affordable?

Plus they say that to get the 120Hz, you'll need DisplayPort or Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C. Are there any video cards due out soon that have USB-C outputs?

Has anyone addresses the wear/tear of things like the start bar which is on the screen constantly for OLEDs?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I am returning my u3415w. It was 415 today and I snagged an x34. So if I don't end up liking the x34 I will presumably get another 3415w and save money over what I paid 2 weeks ago.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For an x34 refurb I think I'm going to keep it. It has much less backlight bleed than the Dell I had.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

waiting on my mini display port to display port to cable to come, should be able to test tomorrow.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xthetenth posted:

I would, that's going to be basically unnoticeable.

Yeah it's good. I did the screen rubbing trick and it's actually a bit better.

I just need me Mini DisplayPort cable to show up to confirm it'll hit 100hz and it should be good to go.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

FWIW my x34 refurb came in this week with essentially retail quality packaging except the box was brown and one of the cables was loose in the styrofoam(but physically blocked from it hitting any part of the monitor). Mine even came with the marketing attachment to the side.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why get 2 monitors? Just get an ultrawide unless you want 4K resolution and have the computer that can drive it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

crayon85 posted:

Two monitors side by side when using aero snap means four places to snap things side by side. I don't think Windows supports that if you have a single ultra-wide monitor. That for me was the real value of two screens.

It's pretty insane that window management software is a reasoning for a hardware purchase with stuff like DisplayFusion, but I guess?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Aniki posted:

Games aren't a primary concern and it will still be way better than my old monitor. I looked into the Acer, which is nice, but I can get the Dell for $736.72 from Jet, which seems hard to beat. I saw the Samsung in person, but it is $899 at Fry's and Amazon, so I can't see it being worth the extra price difference. I'll be using this more for development and browsing than games.

It was 442.00 or something from Dell Outlet. I got it for 500 something before I sent mine back to get the x34 refurbished.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Aniki posted:

That's a really good price. I just checked the Dell outlet and the biggest they have now is a 27" monitor. Where did you find a refurbished X34 at? I've got the 34" Dell ordered, but if I can find a better deal, then I can still order something else. My thought process was that I'm not a huge gamer, so I didn't think it would be worth spending $170-500 extra for the Samsung or Acer, but that changes if there are better pricing options than what I found.

The Dell outlet stock is updated each morning as is their coupon offering. Check coupon then check stock. The best deal has been https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/48hvm4/monitor_dell_u3415w_34in_curved_ultrawide_refurb

It was 829 - 35% or something like that. I watch /r/buildapcsales or /r/ultrawidemasterrace and they usually post.

My x34 was professionally packed and still had retail marketing stickers on it, so I think it was pretty new. Not everyone has this experience. The Dell had 30 days with free returns so it was worth it for me.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 9, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

No kidding, only one out of three of mine actually hit 100hz and it was the most hosed up right out of the gate (banding, unacceptable coil whine, dead pixels). It's a gorgeous piece of poo poo that has no business being sold as is, I gave up after all three couldn't make it two weeks without developing more problems on top of the ones they shipped with. Hopefully something acceptable with comparable specs and G-sync will come out eventually, it's drat near the perfect monitor in concept.

When did you buy it?

2 of us got refurbished ones and they're perfect, minus some backlight bleed that is to be expected but not really noticeable in practice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My Dell had worse backlight bleed than my refurbished x34, so I don't know...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The couch is likely far too far away for curve to matter and it makes off axis viewing bad.

Neither is a concern for a computer monitor.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Node posted:

Good points. The issue is, this TV in particular is the only one rated under 20ms for last year. The article is here: http://www.displaylag.com/defeat-input-lag-the-best-hdtvs-for-gaming-holiday-2015/

So even though I'd rather just have a flat screen, I'd have to give up an extra 20ms of input lag for the best model they measured, which can be noticeable in intensive games. As for company, I'm a :spergin: that doesn't have much, so one of my couch seats is centered to the TV anyways. I'm not so concerned with losing the benefits of a curved panel, I'm concerned with any negative attributes it could have.

They why ask if you know your answer is "display lag rules above all other logic and reason" and you have a link rating the televisions?

You have the list of negative attributes. Color shift and poor viewing angles. Anything more specific would require knowing the specific model. Given your link the downside of that Samsung is..... Color shift.

Also there's a tv thread. I don't see how 21.1ms vs 37ms matters for a tv but whatever. That Samsung is a nice tv overall. I just can't fathom buying a curve in most setups.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cinara posted:

Man, the refurb Acer 34" G-Sync monitors are back in stock on their eBay site, but now they want $1k for them. A brand new one is $1,242 on Amazon right now so the savings don't seem quite as worth it as when they were $750/800. Guess it depends how good with returns they are on refurb screens, all the backlight bleed issues make that important.

I would not be happy with my monitor at that price

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

Acer,

Acer

Acer?!

Acer

Acer ?

Acer

The x34 monitor is great and I highly recommend recommend it if you have the means. Refurb is best bet but ebay will have single digits at a time at a reasonable price. The website now lists them at 999, which is not that much of a discount.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you can pull the x34 off the stand and on an arm it really doesn't look that bad. It's such a better monitor than the u3415 I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

SourKraut posted:

For certain games you play? I thought you only had the U3415 for like a day?

I had it for ~2 weeks. The backlight bleed was worse and the PIP thing ended up being annoying because it kept disconnecting and reconnecting it as a DP device.. Not having that feature and getting an HD60 Pro was the best way to do it. And I prefer the X34 curve.