Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Wow, thanks for posting that. $466 each after tax. I'd been waiting for a deal like this.

VVV I found the member ID for my University through google if it helps.

KS fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Mr.PayDay posted:

I bought the ROG Swift for 799 Euro which was 150 Euro more than I had to pay for both eVGA 970 to enjoy SLI at 1440p.
It is the best invest in my gaming hobby I have ever done. I underestimated the experience of smooth gameplay and up to 144 frames/ Hz. You can't describe it, you have to see it. Everytime I showed my buddies my new gaming rig, they were in awe and amazed.
Not because of my PC specs but because of the ASUS Swift.

I'll go ahead and second this and say G-sync feels like the most dramatic PC upgrade since SSD. There are better things on the horizon, but there's no doubting how good it is now.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Edit: I was completely wrong, sorry. Disregard.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

The Gunslinger posted:

Is it worth the bling? What games have you played on it? I'm unfamiliar with GSync, how does it work with regards to in game settings and whatnot? Do you have to set anything or is it just always on regardless of your ingame settings for vsync and all that poo poo? Do you just leave vsync off and then toggle the rest of your detail poo poo as you desire?

G-Sync feels like the biggest upgrade to my computer since my first SSD. It has to be seen to be appreciated.

You don't really need to do much to make it work except a) turn it on in the control panel and b) make sure vsync is on in the game. That's it.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Just a heads up that these monitor arms are shockingly good for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ITG90D0

I've installed 5 now for work.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

BurritoJustice posted:

With the launch firmware it was only 100Hz ULMB. It was very early on that the 120Hz firmware started shipping, right around the second batch when QC got a lot better.

When exactly did the QC get a lot better? We just got another batch of posters with duds in the last week. This, coupled with your crapping all over the ASUS TN monitor at every opportunity, is suspect. Shilling doesn't do anyone here any favors.

I own both now, but it took me three swaps to get a non-broken Acer. That's embarrassing, and a lot of people wouldn't have the time or patience. Anecdotes being what they are, my ROG Swift was perfect from day one, and it's far from your average TN monitor.

See them in person if you can before making a decision, or wait, because better stuff is on the horizon.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Any other recommendations for 27" 1440 higher Hz monitor in the $500-600 range?

The PG278Q is now in that range at Fry's if you live close to one.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Disagree. G-Sync is the biggest upgrade since the SSD. It's an outstanding feature.

It's TN, but it's a very good TN monitor, and it's certainly a great option at $550. There are no color issues while gaming -- it's gorgeous.

If you're a gamer and can't afford an $800 IPS Gsync panel, I'd at least go look at the TN screen. I've been happy with it, and again, I can't tell the difference between it and my 270HU when in games.

The party line here about TN panels being universally garbage ranks right up there with the SSD thread steering everyone into Evo 840s. It's laughable.

KS fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 20, 2015

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

xthetenth posted:

Well if you don't do anything but game, in which case what are you doing here?

Workposting from a pair of U2415Hs :smug: I don't hate it for day to day use, though. As a dedicated gaming panel, is it a reasonable purchase at $550 vs. $719 for the 270HU? I think it's at least worth considering, especially if you can see it in person.

Rabid Snake posted:

I haven't seen Gsync/freesync in action. I have a Radeon 290, is the framerate sync really that noticeable to a SSD upgrade? Kinda regretting the Ultrasharp buy now.

That was obviously an objective statement, but yeah, I think so. The smoothness difference is immediately noticeable. It got to the point that my wife was complaining my computer was smoother while gaming. She doesn't know what G-sync is.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I'd get a newer laptop with HDMI or displayport. I'd use HDMI splitters and then HD base T to traverse the cat 5 runs.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-2-way-hdmi-splitter-silver/1224493.p?id=1218238810316&skuId=1224493 (you need a 3 way version)

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Advanced-HDBaseT-Extender/dp/B00U1NV04G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449893683&sr=8-1&keywords=hd+base+t

Edit: that same amazon page actually has a 4-way splitter and extender in one box.

KS fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 12, 2015

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It's a 3rd party seller too, so no Prime and no awesome returns policy.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Yeah, DVI doesn't do 4k. You need either HDMI 2.0 or Displayport 1.2 to do 4k@60hz. There are few HDMI 2.0 sources out there right now. Not sure what you're looking for exists.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Smilin Joe Fission posted:

Do people arrange them so that one is positioned directly front and center like you would with a single monitor setup, and have the other well off to the side and angled in toward you?

At home, yes, this is what I do. Dealt with your same problem.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Acer XB270HU
Acer XB271HU
Asus PG279Q

Pretty sure that's still it.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

DrDork posted:

*Sync doesn't really start to do much for you until you start slipping down below about 50 FPS.

This is so wrong -- tearing happens at high FPS too. *Sync is the most visible upgrade to my PC since my first SSD, even with a high end card.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Ihmemies posted:

One big downside of the 100Hz panels is that they're really awkward for video. 24, 30, 60fps are pretty much standard and you're hosed with all of them. A 3440x1440 120Hz monitor would be perfect. Maybe next year?

Gsync fixes this if you use a player like mpc-hc and tweak some settings.

I haven't found a solution for Amazon Prime video though.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Would get this new AOC Agon AG352UCG instead of the X34 if you're shopping for a widescreen. Currently sold out, but it's been $900 on Amazon all last week.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc_agon_ag352ucg.htm

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
That's the lower rez 2560x1080 model. Pretty low pixel density for a screen that size.

The X34 is the 3440x1440 model, and....

KS posted:

Would get this new AOC Agon AG352UCG instead of the X34 if you're shopping for a widescreen. Currently sold out, but it's been $900 on Amazon all last week.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc_agon_ag352ucg.htm

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, that is basically my point. My best guess is that people prefer what they are used to. If I spent a bunch of time using calibrated screens I'm fairly sure I'd grow to prefer them.

100% this. We bought a Colormunki for the office, and brightness calibration drops the U2415Hs to 20 or so from a default setting of 80. After a few days of usage it disappears, and going back to 80 looks eye fuckingly bright.

I have to believe not staring into the sun is better for your eyes in the long term.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Still haven't seen several of the monitors announced at last year's CES. PG35VQ isn't here. X35 isn't here. Hell, the X34a from 2016 only showed up in Europe.

Seems like a crapshoot.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
No returns on Massdrop, so a doubly valid concern.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Shouldn't matter, but I prefer DP simply because the cables always feel a bit better-made.

Shouldn't matter unless the HDMI port is pre-2.0 and can only do 30hz or 4:2:2. Then definitely Displayport.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Thread zeitgeist is definitely IPS > all, but if you have a place you can try them out, it's worth doing. Play a space shooter if that's your thing. Lasers on black is where you'd notice ghosting the most.

Just came from a PG278Q to the Alienware 34" and am struggling with the IPS glow and the comparatively inferior anti glare coating. It's going back. Hopefully this LG new hotness is better. Thanks thread for forcing me to upgrade to a 2080 from my venerable 980 ti so I can use freesync.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Phone posted:

I bought an aw3418dw on wednesday for $860, I'm not going to bother with buyers remorse on this just yet.

The bigger problem here is that they're $725 pretty routinely and as recently as Feb 16.

The 34GK950F is $799 on B&H till tomorrow but heavily backordered if you don't mind waiting.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It's good. It's a rebrand/knockoff of the $300 ergotron arm. Be sure you get the clamping arm and not the one that requires drilling holes.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Paul MaudDib posted:

The "premium" gaming ultrawides at the moment are the Dell AW3418DW, Acer X34p, or the new LG 38GL950G.

I would think the lg 34gk950f belongs on that list as well -- 144hz vs. 120hz for the Alienware or the Acer, and freesync.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

abraham linksys posted:

I think I could live with the asymmetry, but I'm curious if anyone knows of a centerable monitor stand that clamps on to the edge of a desk. Maybe just... one that doesn't have the arm?

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Premium-Single-Monitor-Stand/dp/B00MIBN16O/ is my favorite and works centered. Nice flexibility on this one in terms of height, angle, depth. Here's how far back it can sit.

Sorry for the sheet, my temp WFH space has me staring into the afternoon sun. The top clamp is nice and big but the bottom is small, so I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L382L1F/ which is overkill but didn't have to leave the house.

9 Lbs is really nothing though.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The ergotrons are beasts and the 27" monitors they're rated for are much heavier than a modern display. I've had 34s on them without issue.

There's an equivalent amazonbasics version that should cap what you pay for a used set.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I got very used to a single 32" 4K USB-C monitor when I got my work M1. On an arm to get it decently close, with Rectangle installed, I was able to use it as 4 16" 1080P monitors and it works really well for me. I think it is substantially better than the 34 ultrawides I used previously.

I use an M1 Pro now and still keep the setup. Mine's a Lenovo ThinkVision P32p-20. It's great but not really recommended due to price, work gets massive discounts.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The 48" C1 is down to $716 (10% cash back) on Amazon. I'm really tempted for gaming. I have a 2080 Ti so I'd be limited until I get a 4000 series.

My last two monitors were a pg278Q that was good, and a 34gk950f that I never loved because of the backlight bleed and general lack of support for ultrawides.

Looking around, I see LG has the 48" monitor version but it has an anti glare coating that seems markedly worse than the TV, and it costs double. That's a lot to pay for a displayport.

Is there anything else compelling that's announced that I might have missed? Not uncomfortable paying $1500-2k for something really nice.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I'd go with the Ergotron or Amazon Basics arms and two singles tends to be more flexible than dual.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
1) run Windows 11 if you're not.
2) if your eyes can handle it, having the same scaling factor on both monitors seems to eliminate a lot of these issues.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Having owned both, two individual arms are massively more flexible than the dual.

There's a black colorway as well.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Upgrade to Windows 11.

Pegnose Pete posted:

Edit: why do you say you don’t ever intent to buy another UW again?

I too have no intent on buying another ultrawide. I don't think they add immersion, there are still games that don't support the resolution (Hades most recently), and tiling windows is awkward to me vs. a 16:9. I've also never found a curved monitor I prefer over flat and with OLED the viewing angles aren't a concern on a flat monitor.

I've gone through like 6 different 34" curved ultrawides at home and at work. I've moved to 32" 4k monitors for work because tiling 4x 1080p windows is terrific.

For gaming, I just replaced my last UW, a 34gk950f-b, with a 42" C2. I have not found the TV part to be overly troublesome other than having a remote on my desk, and fiddling in a service menu to turn off dimming. We happen to need a small bedroom TV, so it'll move there when I can buy a 32"ish 4k HRR/VRR OLED monitor. I think that's the ideal for lots of folks but I got tired of waiting.

I would say it's the biggest qualitative upgrade to my gaming PC since the SSD.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I’d consider $300 more for those specs plus OLED. LG 27GR95QE-B or Asus PG27AQDM.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Nah it’s just an even straighter line. It shaved off another hundred plus miles.

KS fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 8, 2023

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Not sure I’d hold my breath for that— already higher pixel density than any other OLED at 32”

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Redundant posted:

It's a shame there are no 16:9 32 inch OLEDs.

They’re just releasing now — ~10 announced at CES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Rusty posted:

LG 34GK950F to be specific.

When I was selling mine a prospective buyer told me this model has lots of premature deaths happening — quick google confirms it’s the exact issue you’re seeing.