Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I'm going to pull the trigger on a Korean monitor soon.

This one looks very attractive:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pix...=item20c5cc7231

Is there any reason I would want the Catleap model more? It seems to be a $50 difference.

Also, I noticed that eBay is offering a 3-year Square Trade warranty on it for $50, which seems reasonable giving the shipping concerns. How does warranty fulfillment work with Square Trade, also is there any way I can coupon code that ST warranty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

low-key-taco posted:

Anyone bought one of these Korean displays with HDMI ports on them? It would primarily be for the desktop computer but I do toss a console on my current 24" on occasion and I wonder if it'd be total crap on the ultra high res Korean monitors.

Does it have a scaler? I thought the reason they were so cheap was the lack of scaler. The native res is too high for consoles, so it won't even show if there's no scaler.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

stevewm posted:

Just wanted to add I just got one of the Korean monitors for someone at work.

I ordered a Potalion branded model from BigCraftCloth on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-Inch-New-Potalion-2710QW-2560x1440-WQHD-Quad-HD-Monitor-/140757463591?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item20c5cc7227

I can confirm they definitely test them as they say in the auction. The box had obviously been opened and the plastic wrap around the monitor had been taped back.

Ordered on the 14th, they shipped on the 18th, it arrived late afternoon on the 20th. They sent a message after ordering to let me know it would take 1-2 days for testing.

No dead or stuck pixels that I can see, and no backlight bleed at all. Absolutely beautiful panel!

I am thinking about getting one myself to replace my old FW900 CRT at home!

How high is the bottom of the screen from the desk?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

I'm tempted to pay the extra $80 for one with a scaler and a return policy.

It seems to be sold out in a lot of locations. I don't have any near me, but I could make the trip to Boston, or perhaps ask my mom to grab one in Philly before the next time she visits or even in NJ or Yonkers on her way up. However, all four stores are sold out, and I'd have to guess there isn't a steady stream of them. So good luck. I think I'm going to break down and buy the Pixel Perfect Potalion, I just ordered a GTX 670 and I'll need to put it to use.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120911008070

Just pulled the trigger on this. It's not guaranteed pixel perfect, but its cheaper and so is the SquareTrade, so its like I'm saving about $50. Just hope I get a good one. Also its Catleap over Potalion, which seemingly should be better? I dont know, maybe it still has the chance to overclock or something.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

How's the color on these? Viewing angles?

It's an IPS so supposedly good, but it may take some calibration. I, of course, don't have it yet since I literally just ordered it today.

Thoom posted:

SquareTrade doesn't cover dead pixels, do they?

No, but they cover it if it breaks in 3 years, since shipping it to Korea for warranty service is basically not feasible. I think you'll just get the value of the monitor back, since they probably won't service them.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I got my Catleap in today. It's awesome so far, but it sits too high. What is the best way to lower it? I can't use a clamp, since I use an old metal office desk that has no over-hangs. Mine was also from GreenSum. Oddly enough, 4 of the pins on the DVI cable were bent, but I have another one I was gonna use anyway.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

My PCBank sits too low. Let's trade :cool:

Looks like you'll have to use an aftermarket stand.

Ya, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for one. I could only find one on Monoprice and it only supported up to 24" but I have a feeling it might fit. Still, it's around $50 for a maybe. $50 for one I know will fit and works well is more than acceptable.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

So, I've run into a strange problem. On my new Catleap monitor, when I try to play certain games, the cursor is not accurately showing. For example, in Mount and Blade, it just sits in the lower left quadrant. Menu items will highlight and operate correctly, but the cursor isn't moving at all. This is a huge problem, because I can't move around on the world map competently at all. In BF3, the cursor shows in the wrong place, but moves properly. This is rather annoying because if I have to adjust menus or choose who to spawn on, its now showing in the right place and it takes a lot of trial and error to get there. What is going on here? The game resolutions are set correctly.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Tedronai66 posted:

are you using an ATI card/multiple monitors?

Cursor distortion on said setup has been an issue in their drivers for years.

Nope, single display with a GTX670.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

If you can "move" the cursor so that other screen elements change (highlighting, being selected as you say) but the cursor itself doesn't move, that sounds like a software issue, not a monitor issue. Maybe try reinstalling/changing the drivers?

Figured out what it is. Since this monitor is so huge and the pixel density is high, I set the Display settings to Large - 150%. Apparently that fucks things up. Medium - 125% still works fine, 100%, of course.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Found a post on another forum documenting stands that work well with the Catleap. I guess I'll grab the Monoprice one.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club/3200#post_17046022

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

This is a good stand if you need portrait.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Easy-Adjust-Monitor-Stand-MS110MB/dp/B0013CD0DI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

If not, this one will do.

http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Ti...e+monitor+stand

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Microcenter is now shipping the Auria 27" monitor for $400 + tax. For those of you who want to spend less than the Dell, HP or Apple, but don't trust those dirty Koreans. Also the base seems to be better than the Korean ones.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0384780

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 26, 2012

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

mcbexx posted:

FTFY.
I had a chance to check out the curved 34" 21:9 monitor from LG in a local store the other day.
Even with the bright store lights, I could notice the light bleed/IPS glow (whatever it actually is) in the corners. I'm not overly nitpicky, but that was pretty much a dealbreaker.

Can you even see the corners during normal use?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Stan S. Stanman posted:

How is gaming on the 34" monitor? I have a 970 and I need a new monitor. I don't game nearly as much as I used to, but when I do it's usually an mmorpg or fps game.

I've been considering a u2515 as a primary monitor too.

The total input lag could be better. TFT central puts it in class 2, which isn't great but it's not bad. I think I'm going to hold out for either a 27" or 34" gaming IPS once they're released. I mean, I spent $600 on a 980Ti, what's another grand?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I have a 970 now.

Honestly the 970 struggles a bit to push 2560x1440 at max settings. That's one of the reasons I upgraded to a 980Ti.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

xthetenth posted:

Where struggles is somewhere between 30 and 60 fps in demanding games. It's really a question of whether you want to pay more for that framerate, because it's still in acceptable territory for a decent number of people. If you mostly mainline games from steam sales, waiting for Arctic Islands/Pascal is likely the more cost effective route. If you want to buy the newest games and eyefuck yourself with buttery smooth pixels, a Ti is what it'd take.

It certainly is acceptable for most people, even I would be fine with it for the most part. However, that comment was made in to context of upgrading to 3440x1440, where that 30-60 would become 20-50, which is way less acceptable.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Hambilderberglar posted:

I can wait a while, unless the panel delamination starts annoying me a lot more than it does currently.

Basically, everyone is waiting for Asus to release their gsync 27" IPS as well as their 34" which should be somewhat soon.

Acer has a nice one with horrible quality control issues.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Hambilderberglar posted:

Is gsync that big of a deal that not having it makes the monitor a not-buy? ips and 144hz I get, but what does gsync offer me?

I'm not particularly sensitive to tearing, and honestly, 60hz is probably completely fine for me. The issue is I want low total lag (which is like processing time of the monitor itself plus pixel response) for gaming. I currently have a Korean 27" IPS which definitely has some lag, but its not horrific. So, if I refuse to step backwards in any dimension (size, resolution, color/IPS, lag) then I have to go with one of these gaming monitors. The thing is, there aren't a lot of low total lag monitors out there, and most of them are grouped with Freesync or G-sync, so I might as well get the G-sync since its better tech and Nvidia cards for the most part are better. I mean, I've already invested $600 on a video card, I may as well pony up for a monitor that doesn't lag.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Looks like AMD is essentially giving away Freesync now, there are now a bunch of 60hz TN panel Freesync monitors.

http://techreport.com/news/29158/aoc-gaming-oriented-freesync-displays-start-at-269

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

mcbexx posted:

Looks like Acer's 34", curved ultrawide offering with Gsync (Predator X34BMiphz), is a bust, at least in the first revision.

http://i.imgur.com/YvxYdjA.png

Very audible whine at higher brightness levels, bad color depiction for blue hues and backlight bleeding galore are complaints across the board.

Help us Asus, you're our only hope.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I'm pretty torn between what I think will be a better monitor for me, a PG279Q or a Acer Z35, as someone who has a 980 Ti and refuses to go dual video card and only cares about gaming. Of course, neither are out yet and prices are still up in the air, so I'll keep waiting.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I'm more upset that its $1300, and any single video card won't be able to push it on high settings.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Cephalocidal posted:

I'm starting to get the impression that the reason I can't find an XR3501 anywhere is that the Z35 Predator due out in December uses the exact same goddamn panel and Acer just straight-up bought the factory line out from under BenQ. Am I right? Should I be pissed?

The reviews for the BenQ are only a few months old, but I also couldn't find any to buy. The Z35 is a better product though, if anything it at least has built in a USB hub and G-sync.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 16, 2015

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

dy. posted:

Are there some better 144Hz G-Sync/ULMB IPS/VA options coming out between now and Christmas? Thinking of pulling the trigger on a XB270HU but I can wait if there's something better in the pipeline. I may even a prefer a 24in option.

Acer has the z35 coming out for about $1000, 35" 2560x1080p 144/g-sync VA.

They also have a 34" 3440x1440p IPS 75/g-sync which will be about $1300.

Asus has their version of the same thing coming as well that will probably overclock to a higher amount of hz, but details are more scarce.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Optiquest posted:

Do you all own 144hz IPS triple monitors or something?

Opti you have a computer fast enough to run Arma 3 and you're patronizing people for suggesting others spend, I don't know, $150 on a decent monitor?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

You can get a Crossover 2795QHD on ebay for $300 that craps all over every other 1440p monitor up until the 1440p144Hz offering.

Is the general consensus on these that they have less motion blur than the older Korean Monitors? I have a Yamasaki Q270 which apparently has good input lag, but when you swing the camera around on first and third person games it can make things hard to spot. If that's the case, I may just grab one of these instead of going in deep on a g-sync.

TrueChaos posted:

So basically this one? I'm reading about instances of dust behind the screen, lots of dead pixels etc. Are these issues overblown?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-CROSSOVER...6.c100408.m2460

I think this is the old model, the 27qd, not the 2795. I don't think it's flicker free.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Krailor posted:

If you don't care about overclocking the monitor then you can usually find the QNIX 2710 cheaper than Crossovers.

Just make sure to avoid the multi-input ones. They have awful processing/input lag. That goes for pretty much all Korean multi I put monitors though.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

xcore posted:

Does the 2795 perform better than this when it comes to display lag or am I in the same boat with that? I can see the QNIX 2710 on the comparison chart which performs slightly better than the BenQ, is the Crossover a step up from that?

I think that review was for the q2710 with multi input. Multi input always have high lag. The single input was supposedly much better.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

ijyt posted:

Didn't realise the U3415W was only £660. Is there anything particularly bad about it (bar lack of gsync) for gaming? Might just get that instead of endless waiting on ASUS.

The input lag is not so great and it probably has some motion blur.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Hikaki posted:

It's pretty great. If you're already going to spend like 600-800 bucks, you might as well go the extra 200 to get Gsync. It's not worth the extra cost on a cheaper monitor though. I'd say it's on the lower end of the nice features that monitors offer these days, behind high refresh rate and resolution and maybe even low input delay. Kind of like the icing on the cake; I would get a really nice cake first before getting really nice icing.

That said, since you're looking at 34" 1440p monitors, you might as well wait for what's coming up because everything is 60Hz right now anyway, and a better refresh rate is definitely worth waiting for.

Probably a harder question to answer, but how noticeable is the difference of having g-sync vs just having a higher refresh rate, say, at least 96hz?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

It's beginning to look like the pg279q and 271HU will have the same issues as the XB270. Is there any reason not to wait until the 270 goes on sale (Black Friday/cyber Monday?) and just hope I get a good one?

While I doubt any of these monitors will be on a significant sale for Black Friday, wouldn't buying it on said date lock you in for that price, allowing you do exchanges without returning/rebuying?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Slider posted:

Is this crossover the one to get?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pixel-CROSSOVER-27QHD-IPS-LED-27-2560X1440-LG-S-IPS-PC-Monitor-Glossy-/111179087780?hash=item19e2ca3fa4

Its showing as $260 to me, seems like the price went down if this is the right one.

No, that's the old one that switched to bad panels. You're looking for a 2795qhd.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

pandaK posted:

So what advantages does the Dell U2715H have over the Crossover 2795QHD that could convince me to put an extra $100 on it? Right now I'm sort of leaning on the Crossover since it would cover both gaming and art needs. Does the Dell have better color reproduction or do Crossovers tend to have higher dead pixel counts or something?

The Dell probably has better inputs and color out of the box, and the stand is much nicer. I'm not sure which models are calibrated out of the box, though. That said, the Crossover will have less input lag, can overclock and is cheaper.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Nodelphi posted:

Are there any Gsync monitors out there that have decent reliability? The ones I've seen seem to be a major crapshoot.

The issue isn't reliability, it's quality control. If you get a good one, it should be good for a very long time.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

KS posted:

The PG278Q is now in that range at Fry's if you live close to one.

The PG278Q is awful. Either get the Crossover 2795 and a new stand or pony up a little more and get the MG278. I don't think it's worth gaining G-sync to give up IPS is worth it unless you're a pro gamer. And if you're a pro gamer, you'd just get the XB270HU or the new Asus one.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

xorex posted:

Man, trying to decide on a new monitor has never been so complicated.

I posted here before looking at the Acer XB270HU only to learn about the QC issues and that I may want to wait for the Asus PG279Q. I'm reading that these screens have the same issues though. Is this correct? Also the Acer is considerably cheaper, are there any other major differences, such as the stand adjustments?

Next, I'm considering getting a Freesync version, the MG279Q, since it is so much less expensive. Is GSync VS FreeSync the only real difference between the PG279Q and MG279Q? I currently have two 670s and haven't really felt the need to upgrade, but am thinking get the cheaper monitor and then go AMD when I do get rid of the 670s. Is this a bad idea? I haven't had an AMD card...well, since they were ATI.

LAST. I have absolutely no local retailer I can pick these up, or anywhere even within a 4-hour drive probably. I know there are QC issues with all of these, but I really don't want to pay $550-$830 without accepting anything less than flawless. What's the best online retailer to go with in case I do have issues? I've RMA'd with Newegg before without any trouble, but its been a while, and never a monitor.

At that point you should probably get the Crossover 2795 and OC it to 96-110hz. It's $300, the downsides are the lovely stand and DVI only, but it's not worth twice the price for a few more hz and no g-sync.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

MF_James posted:

I do have an AMD card, but my max is 75hz or so says the control center and I'm unable to select a rate higher than that.

That monitor or perhaps Freesync in general is limited to 75hz. You could shut free sync off and go up to 144hz. It's quite silly and forces you to play a guessing game about where your average FPS is going to fall. G-sync really seems to be the better technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Well, if you're an ATI user, this is maybe not the worst deal in the world. Just remember, it is TN.

http://slickdeals.net/?pno=169709&lno=1&afsrc=1&mon=1&ref=1&trd=Buy+Now