Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I don't think there are any high refresh rate IPS 24s :( It's probably because it would cost more than the market would comfortably support for "only" a 24", although I've been googling around and there are definitely a bunch of goons/redditors/gamers/sperg people all looking for just such a thing. I'm about to get a new 24" monitor and I'm torn between a 144hz TN and a noice 16:10 ratio 60hz IPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I got an Asus MG248Q, if anyone is curious about it - 144hz 24" 1080p TN, supports Freesync/Adaptivesync. It's an updated VG248QE (or whatever the really popular one was). I have it sitting next to an older, smaller IPS and while the image is definitely worse, it's not that bad. 144hz is amazing, though, even for just scrolling webpages and moving windows around. I mainly went with it due to price, functional and low-key bezel+stand, and that my card is an R9 380 so I would have to drop almost 1k for a good 1440p IPS setup and I don't care that much.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I think the IPS vs TN is more a decision between 1080p and 1440p and up. At 1080p you are in a budget/midrange situation anyway, and no one makes a primo 144hz IPS display, so if you are into gaming you'll end up with a fast TN monitor. If you're not into gaming there's really no reason not to get a 1440p or larger IPS display that's only 60hz because it won't cost that much and you don't need a fancy GPU for framerates. If you do game and you want 1440p and high refresh rates, you might as well get an IPS panel because the GPU needed to push that display fast is gonna cost you lots of :10bux: anyway, and it doesn't make sense to save on a TN panel.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

DrNutt posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C05C1OK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1PJH2CPNFWFL1&coliid=I1IOAC2OR28K51&psc=1

Aside from the fact that it's not currently in stock, is there anything wrong with this monitor? I'm super content with 1080p, TN, and 24 inches, but I really would like to upgrade to 144hz w/ Gsync and this is the best deal I could find, but it's easily like 200-300 dollars cheaper than most other Gsync monitors I could find.

It's still a 24" 1080p TN and you are paying $200, or over 40% of the cost of the monitor, just for Gsync. You might as well get an asus vg248qe https://amzn.com/B00B2HH7G0 for $250, which is basically the same thing without gsync.

disclaimer: I recently bought an asus mg248q (happy w/ it for the price point ~$290) which is very similar to the monitor I linked but has freesync, because I am a huge prick who buys amd products

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 2, 2016

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Is there a current go-to for 4k 27" for general purpose and office use? Zero gaming usage. Seems like there are not a lot of monitors in the segment with lots of reviews outside of TN gaming panels and super highend gaming panels.