Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

movax posted:

I mean, it's just rendering a 2D windows desktop, which I imagine wouldn't be terribly difficult, but maybe it's costing me precious FPS :supaburn:
As long as you're just rendering a 2D desktop, then no, it doesn't really cost you any noticeable framerate and you can continue to enjoy your multi-monitor goodness safe in the knowledge that you're not somehow gimping yourself. Just note that there usually is a penalty if you're running multiple video cards and have some app that's stretched onto monitors run by separate cards. Keep things contained to a single monitor (or monitors driven by the same card) and you'll be A-Ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Alkuan posted:

Thoughts?
The OP only has it down as a "terrible value" because at normal prices it's only a $40 jump to the U2311H, so there's really no reason at all to get the smaller one unless you physically can't fit the U2311H on your desk. On sale, it's a $120 difference, completely removing the "terrible value" issue. I'm seriously considering grabbing one, myself, just because.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
That's...some pretty hosed up poo poo. Looks like some dust or whatnot managed to get behind the panel, which is a big no-no.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

David Tennant posted:

Dell Ultrasharps have audio out for hdmi and usually power for a speakerbar
Well, yes and no. The U2(2/3)11H has an optional soundbar, but no separate audio-out. The U2410 is the other way around: audio-out, but no optional soundbar. The U2711 and U3011 (to my knowledge) have both.

robo puppy posted:

The only thing that's keeping me is the widely reported green/pink tint issue I've read in nearly every internet retailer's customer reviews. Does anyone know how widespread this issue is or has the new firmware revisions fixed this? Anyone have experiences with that? I'd hate to drop almost $500 on a new monitor and have to chase Dell's rear end for an RMA.
It was far more prevalent with the first batch (rev A00) than it is with the more current (rev A01 and A02) batches. If you order through Dell there's basically no chance of getting a rev A00 anymore. It still often doesn't have perfect color uniformity, but many of the sites that complained about it were comparing it to the uniformity of monitors 2-4x as expensive, and even then it was/is mostly only noticeable if you're intentionally looking for it on a predominantly white screen. It's still arguably the best monitor in its class (though the HP ZR24W is a strong candidate if you don't feel the need for the extras the U2410 throws in, and/or don't want wide-gamut, or just want to save money--it's $415 or so on Amazon).

Now this isn't to say that there's no chance you'll get one that's messed up (Dell's QA seems to be a bit questionable of late), but the chances are fairly low, and they're aces about returns, so you can easily swap monitors if you get a funky one.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 24, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

movax posted:

I need to update the OP with a confirmed accurate answer, but I believe the answer is yes, as long as you can feed it DisplayPort.
True. All the hoopala about connectivity issues was largely due to the lack of a DVI input, requiring expensive active adapters for everyone without a DP-output (which at the time the ACD was launched, was basically everyone). Now that all modern cards come with some form of DP-out, it should no longer be an issue.

movax posted:

Also, one of the iMac guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but the price difference between the 27" ACD and 27" iMac almost makes the iMac a better bang for your buck (and you can still use the screen as an independent display!)
Currently, it's about a $700 difference for the base-line model, about $1k for the upgraded one. Shrink the prices a little for the military discount, but you're still going to end up paying almost 2x as much for the iMac than just the display. So unless you really want a mac, you can take that cash and buy a pretty good desktop PC.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

vas0line posted:

How much of a performance decrease will I see if I upgrade to some monster 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 display? Will I need to upgrade something else to keep my games running smoothly?
Most video-related things scale pretty well, so in that a 1920x1080 display is about 40% larger than your 1440x900, I'd expect about a 30-40% drop in frame-rate (assuming you weren't already CPU limited, in which case it may not drop as much). So check out what your framerate is now (you can use FRAPS or something), chop off 30-40%, and see if that'd still be a sufficient number. If not, there are a lot of really great upgrade options right now, including the Radeon 6850/6870/6950 and nVidia 460.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Is there firmware or something that corrects this issue?
I'm not sure if I just don't have this issue due to magic, or if it's a side-benefit from DisplayFusion, but my U2410 and 2407wpf won't drop their USB hubs unless I yank their cord. If you've got multiple monitors and you're not using DisplayFusion or UltraMon, you're really shorting yourself anyhow and you should rectify that ASAP. Per-monitor taskbars is something that Windows has no excuse for not having, and makes the multi-monitor experience just that much better.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Internaut! posted:

I'm considering this sort of rig with 27" or 30" screens:
That looks like an awesome EvE setup :)

As for your questions, no, resting them on their bezels won't hurt anything. It's not like they're going to leak out or something. As for tri-monitor mounts, they certainly exist. They're also usually $300+. They are easier to find than you might think, since you don't actually need ones that support 26-30" monitors, since that size assumes you've got them in landscape mode--for you it'll be mostly about weight. The Dell U3011, for example, is 9.4kg and has a width in portrait mode of 19", so something like this would allow you to fit 3 of them in portrait mode, since it offers a max extension of almost 30" and up to 10kg per arm--so a total width of 60" vice the 3x19=57" required space, and within the weight limits. Obviously you wouldn't be able to tilt the outer ones very far at that point, but they'd be up there.

Honestly, you'd probably be better off going with 3x1 monitor stands, which you can get much cheaper. You could get 3xthese and be price-competitive with a decent tri-monitor setup, or 3xthese and be under $100 ('course you may get what you pay for).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

I think there are a few other screenshots (some of actual monitors) of people gaming on their dell ultrasharps in this thread.
:ssh: Those were mostly photographs and meant to illustrate something like backlight bleed or side-by-side comparisons of contrast/color temp/etc. You basically sent us a MIDI file and told us how great it sounds on your speakers. Refresh rate also has very little to do with ghosting, latency, or lag.

Still, you're right in that the U2311H is a fantastic monitor and is well within the acceptable range of latency, lag, etc., that the vast majority of people are willing to accept (and probably don't even notice), which I think is what we ought to be focusing on. In sum, everyone should buy it, because it's absolute tits, and like 95% of this thread can be condensed into "Want a new monitor? Buy the U2311H. Want something cheap? Buy whatever. Want something fancy/special? Do your own research."

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
First, do you have the 2407WFP or the 2407WFP-HC? If it's not the -HC version, you probably won't notice much difference--in fact, I believe the ST2420L actually has a slightly wider color gamut than the non-HC version. If you do have the -HC, then you'll likely notice the smaller color gamut to some extent, though you'd probably notice the loss of 120 vertical lines more. What is your budget? $400+ may be too much for you (and thus ruling out the U2410 or ZR24W), but if you're not entirely against shrinking a little to 23" you could get the U2311H for ~$300, which would actually be an upgrade in color and visual quality. If you do have the -HC version, I don't think you'll really be pleased with the comparative visual quality of much short of that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paino posted:

One thing I don't see mentioned enough in this thread is: U2311H is fantastic for regular use, bu don't even think about buying it for image editing/photography.
Anyone serious about image editing/photography should really be getting a purpose-built monitor, anyhow. Something more like the U2410 with its gently caress-ton of configuration options, or one of the NEC IPS monitors will always work out much better. That said, even with the tint issues, the U2311H is probably better for content creation than the TN screens most people are moving up from.

I see it kinda like the Cannon Rebel line of cameras: a huge step up for the 95% of people coming from a lovely point-and-shoot camera, but it'll never compare to something like a 5D Mark II (and isn't really intended to).

DrDork fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 12, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Droid Washington posted:

Does anyone know anything about those Gunnar PC glasses?
While I can't say I have any personal experience with them, just check out their FAQ:

FAQ posted:

What results can I expect from wearing GUNNAR digital performance eyewear?
    - GUNNAR Optiks digital performance eyewear provides the following benefits:
    • An increase in visual resolution
    • An increase in contrast
    • Sharper, clearer vision
    • A reduction in glare and reflective light
    • A decrease in eye fatigue
    Higher humidity levels surrounding the eyes
    • A reduction in the negative effects related to dry eyes
    • An increase in effectiveness, productivity and performance

The i‐AMP lens technology encompasses the following technologies:

• diAMIX lens material
    • fRACTYL lens geometry
    ‐Neoscopic tuned for near distance viewing environments
    • i‐FI lens coating
    • iONIC lens tints
    ‐AMBeR lens tint
    ‐CRyTAL lens tint (specifically designed for tasks/duties that require an equally
    balanced color spectrum ie. true color for graphic designers)
    ‐Gradient GoLD lens tint
    ‐Gradient GReY lens tint

Oh, and their Premium 3D glasses promise to "Minimize crosstalk or ghosting to ensure PURE 3D imagery." So...mix-n-match bulleting, random poo poo make of randomly capitalized words, strange promised results, and a retail price of $100? I think that really should tell you all you need to know. Oh, and the articles on their site are pretty fun, too--one is just an add like you'd find in the back of Esquire, another is a short clipping about how Americans have bad eyesight, and the third talks about some studies they did with the glasses which includes, and I quote, "An expert, Dr. Kent Daum of the AOA declared, "They are unnecessary and I would advise against wearing them."" Who links an article that has experts trashing the product?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

But for some reason, it's having that Displayport issue mentioned in the OP, and it ISN'T a Mac.
I use the DP cable that came with my U2410 and have had no issues whatsoever.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The monitor is specified at just over 20 pounds, although I think that may include the stand because it doesn't quite feel like 20 pounds when I lift it.
Yeah, unless they filled the monitor with lead weights, that 20lbs includes the stand. For reference, the U3011 is just over 20lbs without the stand, and is a huge-rear end mother-fuckin' monitor. Your 20" is more like 10-13lbs.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Meanwhile eyefinity needs everything to run at the same resolution, so I was thinking of buying a pair of 21.5 inch monitors (that runs at the same native 1920x1080 resolution as my 24 inch), but will look completely retarded? Is it even possible?
Yes/no. Eyefinity certainly supports mixed resolutions for desktop work and whatnot (I run 2x1920x1200 + 1280x1024), but if you're talking about gaming with Eyefinity (that is, actually using multiple monitors for the game itself, rather than the much more common game on one screen with other poo poo on the other screen(s)), then it's largely up to the game as to what sort of requirements there are. Eg, the Supreme Commander series will happily let you use monitors of different sizes with no ill effects because it uses each screen as an independent camera view, while Dirt 2 functions by virtualizing a single large screen, and thus requires that all the monitors support some common resolution (at least vertically, anyhow. Might be able to intermix 1920x1200 and 1920x1080 if you just use the smaller vertical height).

DrDork fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 13, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Droid Washington posted:

If you had $500 (give or take) to spend on a monitor for gaming, what would it be and why?
I strongly feel that 120Hz is more or less a gimmick unless the prospect of the occasional 3D game (and make no mistake, the majority of game companies want nothing to do with 3D at this point) gets your dick twitching, or you're seriously into high-end competitive FPS/timing games. For basically everyone else, 120Hz is an unneeded feature which doubles the price of the monitor.

For $500, I'd either grab a ZR24W or U2410 (depending on what sorts of inputs I wanted), or if I really didn't give two shits about color, I'd go with 2x generic 24" TN panels or just one for $250 and pocket the difference. However, as someone who actually owns and games on a U2410, I can tell you it's fantastic and I love it. You also can't beat it for watching movies and such on it, and everything just looks better than on a TN.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

K8.0 posted:

Recommending a monitor with 30ms of lag for gaming sounds pretty dumb.
It has a gaming mode if that sort of thing really bothers you (~17ms), and you're pretty dumb to think that you need a 2ms monitor to game with or whatever. One frame ain't gonna kill you.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Red87 posted:

Would the U2711 be terrible for gaming? I've wanted a large ( > 24") screen but the only thing holding me off from going for either the Apple Cinema Display or U2711 was the response times / input lag.
The U2711 has pretty minimal input lag at something in the ~15-17ms range (about one frame). That's on-par with or better than most IPS panels (of any size) and should not be noticeable, especially since it sounds like you'll be playing a lot of MMOs. I'll put it this way: the U2410 has ~30ms lag in normal mode, and ~17ms in gaming mode. I've played a lot of Killing Floor, WoW, TF2, SC2, etc., and have never felt that I needed to put it into gaming mode, let alone feel that I needed a 0ms lag monitor to be competitive.

As long as you're not planning on playing seriously competitive FPS (like top-100 ranked CS or Quake type games) or crazy Asian timing games, you really won't have to worry about input lag with the Ultrasharp lineup. The biggest sticking point for the U2711 for most people is actually the AG coating, which is quite strong and can create a "sparkle" effect on large solid light colored areas (like an open Explorer window) which really bugs some people. Upside is the bugger pretty much doesn't reflect/glare ever. The ACD is the opposite: with no AG coating whatsoever, its colors "pop" a bit more and it doesn't have any "sparkle" to worry about, but you need to be careful of where you place it, because it can and will reflect/glare off of everything.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Fuzz1111 posted:

It's a fun gimmick, good for a trip to the cinema, not for everyday TV and movie viewing. Oh who am I kidding? It doesn't matter how practical or well implemented the tech is, all that matters is how well they push it on idiots buying their next TV.
Fun fact is that, for all the pushing you see being done in ads and such, the glasses to TVs sold ratio is substantially below 1:1. That is, lots of people are buying 3D capable TVs and not bothering at all with the glasses--and it's really hard to blame them when the glasses are usually another $300 or so with, as you said, often only marginal "wow" factor and a lot of "man this is a pain in the rear end" factor.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Does the Windows picture viewer use some kind of oddball colour palette? On my IPS panels it looks just slightly bluish vs. solid white, but on my PVA panel it has some weird cream colour to the whites.
Picture Viewer is a color managed application. It's probable that you've got messed up color profiles applied for your monitors, causing the difference. By contrast, IE is not color managed, so you shouldn't see as much of a difference in images there.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

The only colour management I'm using in software is lowering red levels on that panel through Catalyst. Using the panel OSDs everything is set to sRGB. Where else would those profiles be managed?
Copy/pasted from Google:

1. Click Start, type Color Management in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
2. In the Color Management dialog box, click to select the Use my settings for this device check box.
3. In the Profiles associated with this device list, click the color profile that you want to remove, and then click Remove. Note If you receive a warning message, click Yes.
4. Close the Color Management dialog box and then restart the computer to apply the setting.

Obviously where it says to remove the profile, you can opt to set it to whatever you want.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paino posted:

Anyone using Dynamic Contrast in the U2311H game preset? It seems to make the whites more intense and the blacks deeper. On the other hand, I've heard Dynamic Contrast can drastically shorten the lifespan of monitor/hdtv...is this true?
If you like it, go with it. Many people keep it disabled because it makes the image less "true" or accurate, but whatever; you're the one watching it. It doesn't hurt the monitor in any noticeable way.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

So does anyone here have experience with getting a PS3 to play nicely with a U2410?
I didn't have any issues when I tried it with mine, so my first guess is that you're using a crappy/damaged HDMI cable that's interfering with the HDCP handshake and causing your PS3 to get uppity because you might be STEALING THE H-DEEZ! If you've got access to another cable, I'd give that a shot and see if it helps anything.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Avalanche posted:

My invoice says I have the "3 Year limited warranty advanced exchange" so I hope im good to go.
You'll be fine. Dell's almost excessively awesome warranty program is part of what you're paying for with the Ultrasharp line.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Flippycunt posted:

Any suggestions on how to get this set up in the cheapest/most space efficient way possible?
For what you want to do, if your monitors don't have multiple inputs, the best way to do it is to suck it up and buy a KVM switch. Think of it as coming out of your gas savings for not having to drive to work if you must (or see if you can get IT to buy you one). But yeah, a DVI/USB compatible one is gonna run you $80 or so.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Flippycunt posted:

Well, one monitor has a VGA and a DVI input, and the other has a VGA and an HDMI input. How does input switching work? Would it be possible to have one computer (my personal) hooked up with DVI/HDMI, and my work computer hooked up with VGA cables or something?
Yes, exactly like that. Then on the monitors themselves, there's usually an option via the OSD (or a button) to select which input to use, and you can swap freely between them. You can then use something like Synergy to control both computers from one keyboard/mouse. Note that VGA displays have noticeably lower visual quality than their DVI/HDMI counterparts.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Flippycunt posted:

Ok I got my monitors all set up and working but I'm running into a problem. In a lot of my games the cursor isn't confined to a single screen, but jumps screens if I scroll too far to the right.
That's pretty much what happens with a non-fullscreen game. Switch the game to fullscreen and it shouldn't let you move your cursor outside the window.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

David Tennant posted:

ASUS has just come out with a 16:10 24.1" IPS display for $500, and it covers 98% of the Adobe RGB gamut. On the downside, it has a stupid red stripe.
Maybe Dell noticed it, because the U2410 right now is down to $450. Overall the ASUS there looks like they took the basics of the U2410--wide gamut, 12b LUT, color correction, etc., then chopped out 2 USB ports, some of the other inputs, and Dell's fantastic warranty and priced it at a $50 discount. Honestly, unless the P-IPS panel somehow ends up being noticeably better than the U2410's S-IPS panel, I'm not really impressed. Though I'll admit having overlays for standard document sizes would be cool.

Especially about the warranty. $50 on a $500-$600 product to guarantee no dead pixels is a pretty good deal--especially since no one smart pays the full $600 for the U2410, anyhow, reducing the price-advantage of the ASUS. NewEgg, btw, requires something like 8 before they'll talk about replacement, and ASUS's warranty is here which talks about replacement only if you have a bright pixel or more than 5 (!) dead pixels for "Premium Range" (which I hope that monitor would be in), and needing 3 bright/5 dead for non-Premium Range monitors.

e; missed that it does have a card reader. Glad to see there's new 1920x1200 products!

DrDork fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 22, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Arc Impulse posted:

That 25% off is looking pretty tempting now, but the only thing that's stopping me from going ahead and buying it is the fact that it only seems to apply in the Small/Medium Business section. I'm just wondering, is it fine to get one for personal use from the business section, and is there any downsides because of that?
You'll pay tax going through the business side of Dell, whereas you may or may not pay tax (depends on the state) going through the Home side--though since you linked the UK version, I'm not really sure what (if any) tax differences there would be for you. There's also occasional service/support differences (Business side tends to use more stateside support, Home more overseas support), but that's about it. Monitor is the same, warranty is the same.

Quanta posted:

P-IPS panels are basically H-IPS so this Asus will more than likely be using the same LG panels as the U2410 and PA241W. Given the price, hopefully Asus haven't just given a cursory look at the monitor's SRGB colour emulation.
Considering that the PA241W is using some sort of P-IPS, while it will be an LG panel, it's unlikely to be the same S-IPS used in the U2410 and ZR24W. I wouldn't expect that their sRGB emulation is any better than the U2410's, which is to say it's functional, but kinda defeats the point of the monitor to begin with.

Droid Washington posted:

How do I get a calibration to stick after using the Windows 7 calibration utility? One of my panels has gotten really red/yellow with its age, and after toning down the reds and a little green in the calibration tool it looks loads better. However upon entering/exiting some games and restarting the computer it reverts back and I have to use the tool again.
Try going to Color Management (just type it into the search bar on the Start menu), picking your monitor, and ensuring that the correct profile is set and "Use my settings for this device" is checked. If that doesn't fix it, it may be that some other program is loading up its own profile--you'd have to take a look at what programs you've got loading at startup.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 22, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Red87 posted:

How often does Dell do discounts?

The U2711 is at 1100$ right now on Dell's website (And the same with their Employee purchase program, sadly). I see several resellers selling it on amazon at just over 950$. Purchasing straight from Dell is the recommended way to do it, right?
Constantly. The amount of the discount varies, of course, but many of their products end up on sale at least one or two weeks a month. Buying straight from Dell is recommended simply because no one has yet to really tack down what Dell's thoughts are on warranty support if bought through a third party.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Irrational Man posted:

But since this isn't the case for me, I'm wondering if there are any exceptions to that rule. A 120 refresh rate would be a plus too. Any goon recommendations?
The best you are going to get are more or less generic monitors at that size. You're correct in thinking that increases in size are almost always paired with increases in resolution. 1680x1050 basically tops out at 22", and then it's on up to 1920x1080/1200 for your 23"+ monitors, so I'm not really sure what you're looking for is possible. However, if you're ok with a 22" monitor, there are plenty of quality 22" 1680x1050 models to chose from. You may also want to consider the possibility of a 1920x1080 monitor and just scale it down to 1680x1050 for games where you like that particular "look," while enjoying the extra space for desktop work.

120Hz is probably not something you really need, unless you're a high-end competitive FPS gamer that simply can't live without a 100+ framerate. For everyone else 120Hz just adds $100-$150 to the monitor for minimal actual benefit, and the 3d gaming options are pretty much just a gimmick at this point. Your money is almost certainly better spent elsewhere.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Anjow posted:

What's the cheapest way to get this third screen running on this machine?
Open it up and see if it has a free PCI slot. You can still get dirt-cheap PCI video cards which would be sufficient for 2d/desktop work. Short of that, there's no real cheap method for getting a third monitor; you'd either have to replace the current video card with some form of ATI EyeFinity card (which can be as cheap as $60-$70 depending on what you need), or look into a USB-based card.

Stew Man Chew posted:

Think I'm not going to bother with the 2311h any more unless someone can comment on gamut and color fidelity with 6-bit + dithering. You buy an IPS for color fidelity, what's the point if it's lovely quality?
You answered your own question: price. For its price the U2311H still has very good color fidelity/accuracy/etc and balances that well with response-time/latency/lag. I've got one sitting here next to me and its color is pretty impressive for a sub-$300 monitor. The NEC probably has slightly better color fidelity (I've never seen one in person, but the reviews suggest that they're pretty close), but isn't as good a monitor for gaming on, due to ToastyX's note about a lack of overdrive.

The U2311H isn't a pure graphic-professional's monitor. It's a compromise monitor that, while maybe not the best in every category, is usually only one step away at most. It's still a phenomenal all-around monitor that will cater to 95% of user's needs. If you are a serious graphic professional who can notice (and care about) the difference between 6- and 8-bit colors like that, then you probably don't care much about gaming and would be better suited with the NEC, or more likely, should skip over both and go straight to an actual graphics professional monitor (at twice the price). It's give and take everywhere you go, but there's a reason that everyone in this thread has been gushing over the U2311H.

e; Put it this way. None of the reviewers even noticed that the U2311H was 6+dithering rather than 8, and they were looking critically at color reproduction, clarity, etc. It's much to do about nothing, really.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 3, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Mannequin posted:

Question for you guys. I bought one of these literally a week ago and as of yesterday it has a burned out pixel in the top/middle of the screen. I'm kind of pissed off. Is this normal or should I go through the hassle of getting it exchanged?
If it bothers you, call and complain to Amazon until they exchange it for you. Dead pixels aren't some sort of inevitability that you should have to suffer through if you feel it's worth the hassle to exchange.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

natlampe posted:

I need two large 16:10 LCDs for a Final Cut Pro edit suite. Is the Dell U2410 still a good choice in terms of great quality that doesn't cost several thousand dollars. Decently faithful video and color reproduction is a must.
The U2410 is still an excellent choice for color quality at a reasonable price, however you should be aware that it's a wide-gamut monitor, which may be a good or a bad thing depending on what you're doing (if you don't know what this means, go research it, as it may seriously impact your usage). If you don't want/need a wide-gamut monitor, and/or don't have the need for the plethora of inputs and options that the U2410 brings to the table, you may want to consider looking at the ZR24W, which is the same panel, but drops the wide-gamut, a bunch of the inputs, some of the custom-color options, and close to $200 off the price tag.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Duct Tape posted:

I think my hatred for this 2407 monitor is tainting my opinion of the Dell U2311H, since I'm be worried that another Dell monitor, though having positive reviews, would have a comparable response time. I do have a Dell 2007FPW which has been an awesome little 20" with no response time issues...
The 2407WFP had around 30ms or so of lag. The U2311H has about 10ms, so it should be better. That said, it's not really intended as a hard-core gaming monitor, so if that's your market, there are better options for you. As for the ASUS, if you're not planning on playing games at a FPS over 60, the ASUS's 120Hz isn't going to benefit you. Even if you do, its benefit on non-FPS games is negligible. Don't get me wrong, the ASUS is a great gaming monitor, but it's pretty expensive if you're not the type that feels that 1 frame of lag is going to separate a CS win from a loss.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

VerySolidSnake posted:

I have a Sony AR770 laptop and need some more screen real estate. The perfect setup would be having the laptop screen on with 2 monitors attached to it. The laptop has a DVI, HDMI, and s-video out.
As it looks like your video card is some sort of NVidia bit, your laptop will be limited to a single video output, so you'll only be able to use one extra monitor.

Fists Up posted:

So If I'm looking to buy a 24" dell ultrasharp then whats the best way to find coupons or deals that people seem to mention?
http://www.dell.com.au/ All the discounts and whatnot are automatically applied on Dell's side; no coupon hunting required.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

fyallm posted:

I have not gotten the card yet. I posted in the build your own computer thread and was going to get the 560 but was told it would prolly be overkill. Also if I got the 560ti I wouldn't be able to run 1900 x 1200 on the U2311H correct?
I have no idea why you'd think the 560Ti wouldn't be able to run at 1920x1080--it most certainly can (just like the other cards mentioned). The 560 is, indeed, a dying product as the 560 Ti neatly replaces it, and is in fact kinda hard to even find at this point. You may also want to consider the Radeon 6870, which runs ~10% slower than the 560 Ti, but is also $50 cheaper on Newegg after the respective MIR's are applied.

As for the U2311H, it remains the best all-around monitor you can buy. It is perfectly fine for gaming unless you need CRT-type response rates, and as an IPS screen, it has color reproduction and viewing angles that TN's just can't match. Buy it. You'll like it.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 9, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

fyallm posted:

Dork, What I meant was, the u2311h wouldn't be able to run 1900x1200 but I was dumb and didn't understand the tech specs of it.
Oh, yeah, the U2311H is a 1920x1080 monitor, like every other 24" monitor under $400, sadly. Gotta fork over the big bucks for 1920x1200 these days (or pick up a used/older model off eBay/SAMart)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Stew Man Chew posted:

Just as a note, buying from Dell will take longer than your typical Newegg or Amazon order. I talked with Dell last Friday morning and my U2311h still hasn't shipped.
Dell's shipping practices revolve around a poor understanding of the Mayan calendar and possibly some hopped up crack-head trying to send out notification emails. Chances are quite good that your monitor has already shipped and they just haven't bothered to tell you. You're right that they usually don't do next-day shipping like NewEgg/Amazon, but average delivery time seems to be 5-7 days, which ain't bad for ground shipping.

fyallm posted:

So if I go with the u2311h, and run in 1920x1080, is it worth it to grab the 560ti?
If you're mating it with a powerful enough computer that you don't really want to have to upgrade for another 2 years, yeah, probably. The 460 will probably keep you happy until the end of the year, but by this time next year you'll be turning stuff down/off to keep 30+ FPS at 1920x1080. If you're price-conscious, however, I'd still recommend the 6870, which is ~10% slower but ~22% cheaper ($230 vs $180).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

You're predicting a PC gaming renaissance next year for some reason? Chances are he'll still be playing console ports. Requirements for upgrading ever year are not what they used to be.
Not really, but power required has increased (even for ports) as time progresses. And consider the games he wanted to play: Ok, WoW isn't really a factor. But for DX11, Dragon Age 2 recommends a 460/5850 (and we know what that means), and there's little chance than Skyrim is going to be easy on the system, either. If that's the market he's in, he may also end up trying ME3--which a 460 wouldn't be able to max, or Rift, which is out now and a 460 at 1920x1080 can't max.

Yeah, there are a lot of lovely port-jobs that a modern graphics card will laugh at, but there are also a lot of games out right now which were made for PC, or which got substantial graphics upgrades with the port, that can and will stress the crap out of a mid-range video card. Hardly need a renaissance to suggest a 560ti-level card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "120/240hz" TV's aren't actually outputting a true 120/240 frames per second though, they still max out at 60 - it's interpolating the frames...At least that's how I currently understand it.

3d/120hz PC monitors on the other hand, are true 120hz displays.
You're effectively correct, though the technical bits are a little off. A 120Hz TV does in fact display 120 frames a second, but as you note they're interpolated frames, and that's because they're limited on the input side to 60Hz and work from there. While there's no real conceptual or technical reason that I know of that they couldn't make one that did take a 120Hz input (other than requiring a faster HDMI chip to process the input), there aren't any current products that I'm aware of that do so. HDMI 1.4a brings the potential for 3D 1080p60 (eg, an effective 120Hz input requirement), but the hardware hasn't quite caught up to being able to implement it yet. One day, though!

The 120Hz monitors, as you note, are 120Hz displays capable of taking 120Hz inputs straight up.