Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I'm looking for a 1440p144 27-32 inch monitor that does HDR. I can spend up to $500 if the feature set is there. I'd like to keep it to 300-400 though. I looked back a few pages and most of the recommendations seem to be for a smaller budget just want to know if the extra $100 gets me something more than the NX-EDG27S v2 ( looking to add HDR)
edit: I'm using an AMD card so Free Sync

Icept posted:

Anyone have any first hand experience with the Asus VG279QM?

I know it's only 1080p but the 280Hz looks like it could be a lot of fun without being ridiculously expensive.

I'm pretty sure 1080p280 is near the max bandwidth of display port. You aren't getting that at a higher res without turning off Free Sync / G Sync which you would NOT want to do at that high a refresh rate.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

That's really interesting, I didn't realize CRTs were literally still superior in that way.

Unrelated - is there any benefit to hooking up a xbonex or ps4 pro to this over the OLED TV they're currently connected to? From what you said it sounds like the OLED is still superior, and I don't think the consoles can take advantage of the higher hz, right?

Xbox does up to 120 on select titles, PS4 supports 10bit color on select titles. You also need the pro version of the console I believe for both of these.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mistikman posted:

Are there any monitors out that currently support Displayport 2.0 yet?

I was thinking of upgrading my monitor since it's been glitching a bit and I think it's going bad, but I realized that displayport 1.4 can't support 4k at 144hz. Allegedly you can get 120hz at 4k, but all the monitors I am seeing are limited to 60hz in 4k mode.

It seems pretty pointless to buy a 4k 144hz monitor, since you have to choose between blurry 2k at 144hz or 4k at 60hz. May as well just buy one or the other for far cheaper.

You could run integer scaled 1080p144h which would look good or 4k60 which would also look good due to Freesync / G-sync you probably would end up better than a locked 60. You still could get it as 2 monitors for less most likely (and the 1080 at 240hz+) but you pay for saving desk space.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

27 inches is the sweet spot for 1440p monitors when I checked in February and that's probably not changing until the new Display port revision and they have more bandwidth for data.

If you are going for a high refresh rate monitor Freesync / Gsync are an absolute must unless you are sure you can hit it in every game (60FPS looks stuttery on a 165Hz monitor that doesn't have an adaptive sync)

Freesync should work with both AMD and Nvid, I have the goon recommended Pixio Prime ($399.99) which is a 165Hz freesync works wonderfully with my RX5700

You are going to pay a premium for a 1440p144hz+ monitor that isn't 27inches. which is fine, it's just where the pixel density seems to have settled and the most monitors are competing so good quality monitors are affordable at that size. A 32 Inch monitor will remove features and still cost 50% more.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 24, 2020

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

As long as you can keep your framerate in the range of the monitor's active sync it will look the same as getting a steady 144 or whatever your rate is. Check the specs for the active sync range.

It should be pretty easy to find will look something like AMD Radeon FreeSync Premium Certified (Range 48-165Hz @DisplayPort, 48-144Hz @HDMI), G-Sync compatible which means everything looks amazing at 48-165FPS you don't want to run outside that range.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Do the larger monitors (>27) have some form of native PIP to allow you to split the screen into two logical monitors?
I have two 27" displays and the advantage there is I can have something running on a browser screen on one monitor while I play a game full-screen on the other.

Ultramon, should do what you want. AMDs eyefinity can combine monitors not sure about split them up.

Any reason not to do this in windows instead of adding a feature mostly found on really high end monitors?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Cactus posted:

Just looked at this on Amazon and what's the difference between QHD and FHD? Other than FHD being out of stock.

Full HD (1080p) QHD or Quad High Definition, is 1440p

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

display fusion allows you to make custom partitions on a single monitor that it will treat as different screens

in addition to a billion other things

He followed up to my similar suggestion saying his actual use case is multiple inputs and wants to display them at the same time. So that is going to require a monitor or a capture card. I'm at a loss for actual hardware that supports this.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I'd like to "future-proof" by getting a 1440p monitor, but 1080p gaming is gonna look like rear end on that kind of monitor right? (I have a 970, not going to be able to upgrade for the foreseeable future)

You can in your video driver have it display it on the proper number of pixels and you get a nice thick black boarder (shrinking your screen size). This does matter for lazy console ports that max at 1080, if it maxes to 720 that's actually good since that integer scales to 1440p and will look way better than on a 1080p since you can actually run at native res. (there's not many games that max at 720p though, if you want to do it with 1080p you want to wait for 4k).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Have you thought of just wall mounting it since you are right up against the wall?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Is it a long HDMI cable? You sure that cable is rated for 1440p?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Former Human posted:

Sup U2412 buddy. People think I'm weird for preferring a 16:10 ratio but Asus, Acer, and LG still make them.

Sadly my U2412 is experiencing some pretty bad burn-in, and not coincidentally it lines up with the format of YouTube, so when I build a new PC I will replace the monitor as well.

I absolutely love 16:10, you can fit the taskbar and full screen a video! It is perfect for Netflix off monitor! I find more and more games force 16:9 with black borders. 16:10 support used to be a given in PC titles.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Diablo 3 has always been poo poo with gsync for me in the past

Literally the only game out of hundreds I've played with strange behaviour so I gave up on trying to get gsync to work properly with that game.

Can't remember if that's one of the games I have to make sure VSync is off or 2/3 of the frames get dropped with FreeSync on. But maybe try toggling Vsync, some games like it on some like it off it seems.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

When the LG was out of stock constantly in March the thread was going with the Pixio PX7 Prime

https://www.amazon.com/Pixio-FreeSync-Certified-Warranty-Compatible/dp/B07WGXXV55

Very happy with it, and it does 165hz.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Or you could pick up an amp, and some box speakers with a nice sub if that's more your thing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If it's actually the mickey mouse plug going into that power brick (looks like it could be) you want to search for a C5 cable of however many feet you need.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The one exception I would put here is electric heaters. While a lot of them would be fine, I have also run into some that definitely were not.

In the early days of the pandemic I was working from the basement of my parents' house occasionally, and my stepfather had plugged a space heater into a triple tap on an extension cord. I went to unplug it one afternoon after it had been running and the power plug had melted and was gooshy enough to leave some plastic stuck to the triple tap. It was, to put it mildly, disturbing.

most space heaters are complete garbage. Your computer puts out way more heat per watt than a space heater. Replace the space heater with whatever old computer hardware you have lying around and set it to run folding@home (or mine bitcoin). You probably want to run this on Linux and have it setup so it's not going to brick when you cut power because you are using it as a spaceheater primarily.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Martian Manfucker posted:

I bought a power bar like this and I am actually able to use every single socket even with bricks. The spacing between the sockets is incredibly nice and I regret not getting something similar sooner.

I like this one the plugs pivot https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-12-Ou...ps%2C152&sr=8-3

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

literally this big posted:

I see some of these monitors come with Free Sync. What is that? Does it matter if my PC has an Nvidia card?

FreeSync is opensource Gsync, basically what AMD uses and has now seems to be becoming the standard since many are now Gsync certified.

You absolutely care about having one of them.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Gabriel S. posted:

Same. I’d want a 4K Monitor to start at no less than 30”.

I really like 30 1440p but had to settle with a 27 because there is a pretty big premium on a monitor that big (or was in March). I'd really like a bright 4k actual HDR 32 IPS that you can feel the heat coming off it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

it's the other way around, VRR offers no benefits if you can push beyond the refresh rate (you will either have to cap your fps either in-game or by enabling VSync, or accept tearing when this happens).

the biggest benefits are in framepacing when you can't push enough frames

There is a min refresh rate too and you want to stay above that, if you can't hit a monitors min refresh rate you really are better off investing in a better video card though because it's normally in the 40s.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Verviticus posted:

pulled the trigger on the LG on an open box one that was described as "minor cosmetic defects" so i guess we'll see for $50 off which after all the poo poo ive bought so far, i'm going to need. and i dont really care if it has a scratch or a gouge

Do you still get the full warranty? That can very much be worth the $50 to know you have a monitor for the next 3 years and don't have to spend anything to replace it if it dies (unless it gets physically damaged by falling or something hitting it I guess).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Whenever someone starts mentioning KVMs but don't already know about them I question if Synergy is a better option and it normally does end up being a better solution for them.

https://symless.com/synergy

This lets you control multiple computers with the same keyboard and mouse, you will need another monitor for the macbook or for it to just be open and next to it so you can see it and control it. This is what most people want to do say control the music on their laptop while playing a game.

KVMs are normally designed for server use and as such tend to not have the bandwidth and bells and whistles for extremely high bandwidth monitors.

You may even need the KVM to support freesync to get it to work over it I'm not entirely sure. I honestly wouldn't use a KVM with a gaming computer based off seeing them in server rooms they are great for business application but they are not performance.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

That does sound like a lovely cable, or like you used the one that came with your old monitor that doesn't have enough bandwidth because you went HDMI is HDMI.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Not familiar with that exact monitor but most VRR monitors flicker like crazy if you set them to "fastest" instead of "fast" fastest is a marketing gimmick setting that doesn't work right in anything but a lab setting it's so they can put better numbers on the box.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

lovely HDR is still better than no HDR. It's just a poor value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Saukkis posted:

That's not that far off. I'm sitting 58 cm away from my 27" monitor, so the edges are at 27°.

That's why 32 inch VA monitors have agressive curves.