Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY
Admins please sticky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY
I read in the OP that the U3011 has "significant reports of input lag". Can anyone expound on this? Has anyone here experienced it? Any information is much appreciated, as I know I'll go with a Dell IPS panel, and while I'd love a 30" one, that's the only thing holding me back right now.

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY
Okay, I could use some help.

I've been planning on building a new computer in line with the release of Diablo 3. The only thing I'm stuck on is the monitor. I know I'm going to be getting a Dell IPS panel, but what I'm stuck on is the size of the panel. Right now it's between 24" and 30". I didn't consider 27" because it's 16:9. Here's my rationale so far:

1. How far I sit away from the monitor. Is there such a thing as TOO big? I think right now I've either got a 19" or a 21", I can't remember. Where I'm situated at my desk I sit anywhere from 12" to 18" away from the screen.
2. Hardware. I know if I get a bigger screen which supports a higher resolution, I would need a beefier graphics card(s) to push higher resolutions to the screen. I'm not OPPOSED to doing SLI/Crossfire, but it's one more part which generates heat, and one more part which has the potential to break, and one more part which is going to drive the cost of the build up.

Any advice?

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY

DrDork posted:

Seriously? That's...really close. Even if you just have a normal monitor towards the back of a normal sized desk and are sitting in a chair, you should be 24"-36" away. 12" is approximately the distance from your eyes to the front of the desk if you're sitting up straight. If you are sticking the monitor at the very front of the desk or whatever and have a 12" distace...stop that. It's terrible for your eyes to be that close to a monitor. But yes, you can certainly be "too big," especially if you sit that close to your monitor. For a 30" monitor you're going to want to sit at least 36" away from it, otherwise you're going to spend a lot of time moving your head and eyes around to see everything.

You're right. I actually just measured and it seems I had way underestimated my viewing distance. I'm sitting about 24" away from my current monitor.

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY

movax posted:

Yeah, the ZR30W will have less input lag. I've got the U3011 myself, and I guess I'm a scrub enough gamer that I haven't run into issues with lag.

Why will the ZR30W have less input lag, out of curiosity?

e: Another question I have is if there's any benefit to HDMI over DVI, aside from having audio included in the HDMI pipeline.

HE ON THE TOILET fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 6, 2011

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY
When it comes to GPU muscle for a U3011, how would this work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127589

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY
I'm going to pull the trigger on a U3011 today, along with the new machine I'm building. I've wanted a TV in my room for awhile, then figured I'd just put a Blu-Ray drive in the machine instead of a DVD Burner and get a bigger monitor. Problem solved.

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY
My U3011 got in on Monday. Anyone have any suggestions on how to check for dead pixels? I doubt I'll have an issue, but I had to transport the thing in the backseat of my car for a few minutes (while unboxed) to get it to my apartment.

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY

Wedesdo posted:

search for "DeadPixelBuddy".

Unfortunately I've got a single dead pixel on the display. I don't have the boxes anymore, however. Has anyone had any experience with Dell sending out a new monitor? Do I absolutely need the box?

Also the max resolution this monitor goes is 1920 x 1200. Windows won't let me crank it any higher. I've got it hooked to my video card via HDMI. Any suggestions?

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY

movax posted:

You can put the old monitor in the box they send you with the new one in it (they have always cross-shipped for me).

I think you need dual-link DVI or DisplayPort to run it at max res.

Gotcha. I'll give Dell Support a call tomorrrow. I swapped the HDMI cable with the supplied DVI cable and all is well. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY

movax posted:

Yep, it meets all that criteria. Who are you buying it from? Make sure you still get the Premium Panel guarantee so you can keep RMAing until you get a display with zero dead pixels, etc.

Speaking of which, I had a bit of a nightmare with Dell customer service regarding the Premium Panel Guarantee.

Apparently their Premium Panel Guarantee functions in that if you receive your new monitor, if there are any dead pixels they will exchange it with a brand new panel within 21 days of purchase. After the 21 days is up, you get a refurbished one. I had to find this out the hard way. I ordered a U3011 last month. Before I go any further, I'm not knocking Dell. At all. This is hands-down the best panel I've ever used in my life. Period. Dot. End of story.

Monitor came, and there was a dead pixel. Called Dell up, they told me they would send me a new one. Great! Except when the replacement arrived it came in a box that was clearly marked "Refurbished". I call Dell tech support again. The rep informed me that sometimes "retailers will send their excess supply back to Dell, and while the monitor has not been used, it is considered refurbished". I told the rep "Hey, that's fine, I've got no problem with using this monitor, but if I take it out of the box and use it and there's no dead pixels I'll keep it, but you're going to refund me a portion of the money I paid for a new one". Dell rep places me on hold, comes back and tells me they're going to send me a new panel.

Second replacement comes and it's DOA. Plugged the monitor in, pushed the power button, nothing. Called Dell again, explained to them the situation, and they sent me a 3rd panel, which thankfully worked like a charm, and had no dead pixels.