Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

I'm looking to upgrade my 5 year old U2311H. How is the U2713HM for gaming with a GTX 970? Don't exactly need CS 1.6 MLG pro gear. Wanting to stay under $600 or $500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Anyone using a U2715H with a 970? Is this an okay combo?

Or one of these
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009C3M7H0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=23JFVWCLTB6C6&coliid=I1GOOMVE7NH1BU

Optiquest fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 11, 2015

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Lothire posted:

The thread has put up quite a few points about low budget gaming/etc monitors being reasonably easy to grab while still looking awesome. That's pretty much where I'm at, as my current monitor is some 6 or 7 years old. I could use just about any opinions/words/anything on these two monitors I'm looking at..

BenQ GL2460HM Monitor: I see BenQ get pushed quite a bit watching fighting game tournaments. While I play them myself, I'm lovely and will never be going to a local tournament, so I'm content using my big rear end laggy TV for scrubby online play. Still, I'm curious to try it out for the PC, and maybe give it a shot on the console sometime. But I know nothing of BenQ, their products or their rep.

ASUS VS238H-P: So the BenQ doesn't have an IPS panel. My brother has one of the Dells listed in the OP, and the whole IPS view-from-different-angles thing is great. However, watching videos and such is more of a side thing than gaming, even if I do it about as often. If I get over my curiosity for the BenQ, this monitor seems solid for the price.

Am I right that, between these two things, it's mostly down to the IPS vs Not IPS deal? Their size differences are not a big concern to me. With Fallout 4 around the corner, I'm gonna be getting a new graphics card. I figure it'd be a good time to lump in an upgrade to my aging monitor while I'm at it. I'm pretty wide open to a lot of options as far as brand and such, these two just seemed to stand out from my hour+ of shopping around.

VG248QE. Don't get an IPS for games

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

xthetenth posted:

TN is for when you're spending little enough that there are literally no other options.

That's it.

Its not though

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Do you all own 144hz IPS triple monitors or something?

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

At his price range, I'd choose a 120+hz tn over a 60hz ips for games is all. The color is not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Optiquest fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 23, 2015

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah it's like people have different opinions or something. Looking forward to more "TN is gay" and "IPS has more colors" arguments.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's about stuff like not having the screen fade out at the top or bottom and not having to bob your head around to read stuff. Also being able to show stuff to someone else without having to play loving musical chairs so they can actually see the drat screen.

Yeah I agree with all this; Lothire said video games and street fighter when asking so I figured he was bad enough dude to handle the drawbacks of a tn monitor. More hertz is better than less hertz - I guess it's up to everyone decide whether or not your screen updating twice as much will be beneficial in a game. You can look up what kind of monitors pro gamers use and most of them will be a fast tn.

Optiquest fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

I think my Dell U2311H is about to blow up. Should I get a U2417H? I see some similar IPSs at ~$130. Looking for an IPS replacement <$300 1920x1080 to use with a 970.