Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

evlbstrd posted:

Anyone have experience with DELL RMAs?

My 3007 exhibited all sorts of artifacts and distortion this morning, after being bounced around various queues for a couple hours I was issued a replacement that should arrive in a few business days. However the artifacts have since disappeared. I wonder if it has anything to do with overheating. I live in the middle of nowhere and returning the defect panel is going to be a pain in the rear end but I don't want DELL to pull any funny business because the unit is now behaving properly. I have images of the distortion, but their RMA system won't allow me to email them the evidence. Should I cancel the problem and wait until the problem become permanent. Still have a couple years left on warranty.

I RMA'd two ultrasharps recently. A new U2711 that had backlight bleeding and a 2408WP that literally just died while in use (turned off and didn't turn back on). The U2711 was easy, I emailed got a reply back next day and had a replacement unit in about 3 business days. The older model was harder since it didn't have a service tag I had to call and speak to someone but after I explained the issue and gave them the serial it was literally ok I am sending out a replacement here's the confirmation number (could've been called something else). Replacement monitor was in my house in 3 business days again. They called me like a day later to see if I received the replacement(s) and if everything was working properly now. Perhaps, if you have an issue where they are disputing your claims you can speak to an account manager that you can email the pictures to but I don't think you'll have a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Dell released new 27 inch Ultrasharp model.. Apparently it uses AH-IPS panels. Hopefully AnandTech will review this soon.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I tried out the 30 inch and ended up returning it. It's way too bright and there was no way to adjust the backlight. The brightness and contrast controls worked but were barely noticeable because the backlight was set pretty drat high and unfortunately did not have a way to adjust it. The buttons are also on the back of the monitor so its a bit awkward reaching around to use the menu and turn the monitor on/off. The monitor swiveled a bit too easily on my stand as well. Maybe I got a lemon but I didn't want to deal with go through a few of them to find a decent one so I just returned it.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Tom Guycot, I have had ultrasharps for a few years now and seriously as other have mentioned if you wait for a sale then you can find them for a decent price (not too sure if this is applicable in Australia but have seen them go on sale in canada so don't think it is just a USA thing). On top of that that, the warranty is awesome. After you contact them they ship you a monitor and in about 1-2 business days its at your door. You throw the defective one in the same box, slap on the label they provide, send off and enjoy new monitor.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

Comradephate posted:

I know, but I have to call and read a 20 character serial number to somebody in a sweaty callcenter in India who doesn't give a poo poo about his job. Can't do it through the form, and can't do it on live chat.

I'm just bitching.

As someone who has had to get warranty service for a 24 inch ultrasharp, this is the truth. Dell's warranty is awesome but contacting someone about it is an exercise in trying your patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I just got a 27 HM when they were on sale a couple of week's ago. Mine had some backlight bleeding on the lower left corner (still does) but it actually decreased noticeably over the past couple of weeks. I would say give it some time before contacting dell, it may decrease to the point you don't notice it.