Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

evensevenone posted:

There's a new NEC too, the EA232Wmi that is LED and IPS but apparently it has backlight issues.

I see a lot of complaints on various forums and even newegg about all the new LED IPS screens and backlight issues. Looks they suffer uniformity and bleeding across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
Is this a good deal on a Huey Pro calibrator?

Its $50 with coupon code EMCKDGK33

I have an HP ZR24W but all I use it for is gaming and movies/video really. I gently caress around a little with web design and forum styles but I'm no photographer or professional. I'm just wondering if its worth getting. The only thing I did to my monitor out of the box was gently caress with the brightness and contrast until I liked it, though I still fiddle with it occasionally. This seems like a decent deal because most calibrators are $100+, but I'm just wondering if it will make a noticeable difference.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

Bazanga posted:

Are there any comparable 27" IPS monitors with a glossy finish that have DVI/HDMI support at a similar pricepoint to the Apple Cinema? I seem to be able to find non-glossy versions pretty easily but Apple appears to be one of the only ones with enough huevos to make a glossy version.

I too was looking around for non-Apple glossy IPS monitors and found out Hazro now ships to the U.S. They have this 27" that looks like what you want and there are a couple of different version. Review here. I would love a 24" version of this but they don't make one.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

Kilometers Davis posted:

What I want:

27"+

IPS

2560 x 1440/1600

Glossy or a not horribly obvious AG coating

Decent response time for gaming

Do I have many real options? I'm using a U2410 now but the ag coating makes everything look slightly off and the response time isn't exactly fantastic. I was considering the U2711. How does the coating and response time of that compare to the U2410?

You want a Hazro, they are actually a great deal too because you don't have to pay tax and shipping to the U.S. is free. As far as I know these are the only Glossy IPS monitors around besides Apple's.

http://www.hazro.co.uk/HZ27WC.php

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

llbdtiberio posted:

Just got myself a Hazro HZ27WD 2560X1440 monitor, my god there is so much space!

Review it for us. Is there any backlight bleed? Color tinting, etc? How much was it and where did you get?

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
Do those Achieva Korean monitors have language settings in the OSD menus? Is it all in korean or can you set it to english? I'm trying to figure out how feasible buying one of these things is and I'm not as worried about warranties and returns as I am about being able to change brightness/contrast.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

Animal posted:

I got the Catleap 27" today. Ordered the 15th from dcsamsungmall for $370 shipped from Korea, got here the 19. Impressive.

My model is matte, which is a pleasant surprise since I thought they were all glossy. No dead pixels as far as I can see, though I'm not looking. There is a bit of discolor in the bottom, white looks a bit warmer on the bottom compared to the middle and top of the screen. Doesn't bother me much to be honest, I expected some kind of imperfection, these displays must be, after all, rejects from what otherwise would sell for more than twice the price. The stand is lovely, but I don't mind, and I'll probably just get a VESA stand. No on screen display, but I simply calibrated it using the nvidia control panel.

Very impressed, very happy with it. The only downside is that the 560 Ti 448 is no longer overkill, now it struggles at max settings in some games. Time to wait for Kepler.

I thought they were all glossy, are you sure its not? Can you take a picture of it? I ordered the same one as you from the same person and if mines not glossy I'm going to be pissed.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
I just got my Catleap, ordered it late Friday night on the 17th, received it today. Three days including the weekend is pretty fast considering it came from Korea. I got the regular Catleap from dcsamsungmall, this specific listing. Its $366 now but I paid $371.

The difference between this and my ZR24W is pretty huge. I guess it isn't glossy though and I'm disappointed in that. I thought they were all glossy. It is WAY clearer, and there definitely isn't any AG coating on it. I want to take some side by side pictures but my desk is small and I need to move some stuff. Everything is noticeably more vibrant. I wanted to get one with the glass but all the posts about dust and styrofoam behind the glass turned me off.

There is 1 pixel in the bottom right corner that is stuck black but only on red. I took a magnifying glass and spent 15 minutes going over the screen, the pixel stays black only on red, not on white, blue, or green. You can't see it unless you put your face against the monitor and that spot is red. I took a few pictures of it and would post them but you can't even see the pixel. The only camera I have is my HTC EVO and it doesn't show the pixel at all.

Other than that the monitor is flawless, its really amazing and I can't believe I got this for $371.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
Here's a couple lovely Evo pictures.

red screen (you can't see the stuck pixel) - http://imgur.com/8YH1G

skyrim - http://imgur.com/Fx44q

I guess when I think of glossy I think of

Here's mine

edit: Here is a picture (stolen from hardforums) of the Crossover version, this is the kind of glossy I thought I was gonna get:

spanko fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 21, 2012

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

movax posted:

Updated with a blurb on the Catleap, can you guys give it a once-over to make sure I didn't miss anything?

You should probably note that the pixel perfect "guarantee" these guys are selling does NOT mean a monitor with zero dead/stuck/whatever pixels. It means they guarantee no bright pixels in the middle of the screen and up to 4 dead pixels total on the sides. They don't consider dark stuck pixels to be a defect unless its in the middle area.

http://i.imgur.com/eey1u.jpg

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
I have a GTX570 and so far Skyrim and SWTOR run fine at max settings, but I had to lower some settings in BF3. I turned AA off completely and set AF from 16x to 8x, also turned off bloom and motion blur but I do that anyway. I'll probably have to turn AF off completely though because it was still choppy in some places. I think a 580 would be fine so long as the rest of your system is up to par. The price is dropping on them too.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

movax posted:

Thanks for the feedback guys, I updated the description with quotes/links to your posts. If I understand correctly, looks like the ones tagged 'Yamakasi' brand are matte no-AG?

Well Animal and I both got the Catleap and its definitely not glossy. I would assume the Achieva Shimian is exactly the same with a different bezel and stand. The Crossover is definitely glossy, as you can see in the picture I posted from hardforums.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
My friend got a tempered glass Achieva Shimian from dcsamsungmall, no dead/stuck pixels and there wasn't anything behind the glass like dust or styrofoam. I'm pretty jealous because I wanted the glass version and wasn't brave enough to order it and he got a perfect one. What a dick.

http://i.imgur.com/g0bTM.jpg

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

PENETRATION TESTS posted:

Can a kind soul with a Catleap Q270 (or similar) post their EDID? Mine seems to be corrupt, which means my computer won't push anything higher than 640x480 to it.

Which one is the Catleap?

EDIT: Also for anyone ordering the Catleap monitor be aware, some are glossy and some aren't. Someone on hardforums asked one of the sellers about it and was told that there is about a 2% chance you get a Catleap that isn't glossy like mine and Animal's. I just sent dcsamsungmall a message asking if I can get a replacement that is glossy because that's what I thought I was getting and what I really wanted.

spanko fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 22, 2012

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
I pretty much figured I'd have to do that. Selling mine for a slight loss is still way cheaper than paying return shipping.