Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a Dell 2209WA which I bought about nine months ago. I fell in love with it from the moment I saw it and I don't think I can ever go back to using a TN panel now. I mostly use my PC for games, plus the usual web surfing, and a bit of casual graphic design for my website. The viewing angle and colour consistency are just so much better than any previous monitor that I owned. But hey, it's the monitor thread, so you guys know that.

I've been waiting a little while but the time has come to buy a second monitor. I assumed I would just get another 2209WA but of course Dell went and discontinued it. I really don't want two monitors with different sizes and resolutions, that just seems like a bad idea. So my options appear to be:

1. Buy a second 2209WA for ~£225. This was my original plan but the price hasn't dropped since I bought mine so it doesn't feel like a good deal. In fact I paid £200 for mine and that wasn't even on offer.

2. Buy two U2211Hs for ~£415 total. These are only 21.5in so I'm losing space on my main screen, I don't really like this option.

3. Buy two U2311Hs for ~£470 total. More screen space and higher resolution, and if I can sell my 2209 then it seems like a reasonable price. But now I'm worried about the AG issue that people keeping talking about in this thread. Has anyone compared the U2311H to a 2209WA? I've had zero issues with my current screen, am I likely to notice something on these?

With the last two options I'm pretty sure I could sell my existing 2209WA for £150 or more, since it's in perfect condition. So I think it's between the first and third options really. I'm just concerned about the AG. I don't know anywhere near me that will stock these for me to look at them, the only shops we have in the UK and stuff like PC World which mostly just sell lovely/budget TN panels.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Misread some prices, fixed now.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manny posted:

The problem with finding another identical screen to match your current one is you're not going to have a lot of choice buying new, if you can even find one.
Ebuyer still have stock, says 1 right now but it was higher earlier and their stock figures are generally batshit so I just ignore them. Seems to be a few places with them in the UK actually.

quote:

As for the AG coating, I just had a U2410 delivered today (might write up a bit on that later) and for me it's not a problem, but I've only ever used matte displays anyway, and so far it doesn't seem noticely worse than those. I'm really pleased with it so far.
Thanks, I expect it'll be okay, always used matte myself as well. Though I don't think these two models use the same panels?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In the end I decided to just order a second 2209WA. The screen quality is generally considered to be better than on the U2311H, plus I prefer 16:10, and the resolution seems fine for gaming. Feels silly buying an older monitor for almost the same price but it seemed like the best choie.

Which leads to my next question. Can anyone recommend a reasonable <£150 22-23in screen? It's for my Mum, she has my old 19in at the moment but she wants to watch BBC iPlayer (so 480p and occasionally 720p) and similar on a nicer screen, as well as using it for general web/office stuff. No gaming use at all. 16:9 or 16:10, doesn't really matter.

She loves my 2209WA, and she was going to steal it if I replaced it. But since I'm keeping it now, just considering some cheaper options for her.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm about to order a bunch of Dell P2312H monitors (VGA/DVI inputs) for our new office so that everyone has dual screens.

The laptop docks we use have dual DVI so connecting to those is trivial.

For users with desktops we have will need new graphics cards to handle dual outputs so I was just planning to throw cheap HD6450s in them. I just want to clarify a couple of things about connecting DVI to HDMI.

Can I literally just connect this between the two and it will work? The OP implies yes, so hopefully that is the case, but want to be sure.

I also have one machine with an existing 6670 with DP+VGA+DVI. What's the best thing to do with that? It's actually my machine so I don't want one minotr looking lovely on an analogue connection, but maybe it makes no practical difference?

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 29, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dogen posted:

1) yes that cable will work, although you might could find a cheaper one if you have a uk equivalent to
Thanks, that's great. Last time I looked we are already spending over £18000 on new hardware and infrastructure so I honestly cannot be hosed with trying to save £1 on a cable :D .

quote:

2) all digital connections would be ideal, pick up a cheap displayport cable. My ridiculously overlong one was like six American dollars

Edit: oops, p2312. Well, you could get a DP->Dvi adapter, or just live with it.
I'll try it on VGA and see if it looks okay. DP -> DVI cables seem a bit funky and talk about DP++ or something and I really have no idea of this Dell-branded HD6670 will support it because if anyone can gently caress up a standard connector, it's Dell.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 29, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just ordered dual P2312Hs for everybody in our new office which we move to in a week, it's going to be pretty huge upgrade to finally get rid of my single 19in 4:3.

What's considered the best tool for dual monitor window management these days? UltraMon/MultiMon? We all run Win 7.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

Sporting displayfusion here. I have to say it fairly impressive and has a host of features that are worth the 30 bucks (Bought a respective license for my home computer AND work).
Thanks, I had a look around and found this after some Googling so I am trying it out at home, it seems really nice. I'm not sure my boss will want to buy it for everyone but I'll probably grab two licenses for myself (home+work) and let the rest of my office whine to my boss if they want it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

Just remember that you'll only ever get single-card performance on any windowed app/game, including fullscreen-windowed modes (as are popular for MMOs and the like). Not saying 2x7850's is a bad idea, just make sure that it's best for your usage patterns.
I wasn't aware of this, where can I read about it?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just filled our new office with dual Dell P2312H setups. Anyone know how to get these things to run on 75Hz? Offiical specs imply that it is supported but all of the drivers I can find only offer up to 60Hz.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My boss was recently raving about how it was some kind of amazing magic that the monitors we bought had USB ports on them (Dell P2312s). I thought it was odd, then I found out he thought it was traveling down the DVI cable.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh, ok. Safe to unplug then.

Yep, it's completely optional.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guni posted:

Is there such a thing as a 2560x1440 monitor that's under or around 24"?
Not really, that kind of DPI just isn't really needed.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Could you wall mount the top three?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My two wonderful Dell 2209WAs are finally on the way out. One has a weird splodgy thing down the right side and the other has an intermittant blue/yellow vertical line about third of the way across. I'm moving house soon so I'm going to give these to some friends/family and grab some new screens.

What's the sexy IPS of choice these days? Are Dell Ultrasharps still good? I'd prefer 16:10 if possible and I'd like height adjustable stands. How is the U2415?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm in a bit of a mess over monitor connections, hoping someone can help.

What's the best way to connect three Dell U2515H (1440p) monitors to an Asus GTX 970 Mini. The monitors accepts DP and HDMI as inputs and have DP MST passthrough ports for daisy chaining. The card has 1x DVI-I, 1x DVI-D, 1x HDMI, 1xDP.

I thought I could daisy chain all three through the single DP port but nVidia and Dell seem to list different specs for what is possible with this. I think I can only connect two this way? And then how should I connect the third? I read that HDMI doesn't support 1440p @ 60Hz but that may only be for older ports? Are there any limitations on these cards as to running from multiple outputs at once?

I don't actually have the GPU yet but would be good to establish what cables I need before the thing turns up.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 29, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Okay, thanks. I haven't bought the card yet so I could get the other one instead as long as I can find it in stock and the reviews looks similar.

I think the answer is no but I'll ask anyway: it's not possible to use the DP-out on my motherboard as an additional port, right? It's an Asus Maximus VI Impact.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

You can drive a monitor off the integrated graphics in addition to those attached to your discrete GPU, yes.
Oh, that would solve my problem then. Presumably 3D stuff on that monitor would be rendered in the IGP so I should just avoid putting games there, right? I only intend to game on one monitor anyway so this wouldn't represent a problem.

Looking into the Gigabyte one, seems that it runs louder than the Asus.

Alternative option is that I just get a full-size card. It would fit (I have a 770 in there currently) it's just a bit of a squeeze in my case (Node 304).

Anyway this is getting a bit tangential to monitor chat. Thanks for the help.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Gigabyte ITX card seems to have a lot of problems with crashes and hardware failures.

I think I'm just going to grab a reference 970 since that seems to be the easiest way to solve this problem. Blower design will work nicely in mITX and it has three DP outputs.