Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I'm doing a pc upgrade and want to replace my Syncmaster 226cw. I was going to grab another Samsung, but after reading through here and other sites and reviews, I'm *this* close to ordering a U2410. I'm looking for 24inches and crisper image quality and better color. Ill be using the computer to play games, surf, watch some movies/vids, and some minor photoshop work. The U2410 is almost twice what I was originally going to spend but seems to meet these requirements and has great reviews. Plus its $100 off right now, are there any other coupons out there that could be used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I gave the U2311H a good look, but I had some concerns. The slower response time, the lower color range, 1080 vs 1200, and the delays dell has in shipping it currently. I have not looked at the ZR24W much yet though. The other problem is I can afford the 2410, but there is a side of me feeling apprehensive about spending it on the monitor.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

You make some good points about both, and I did read some of the complaints about the wide-gamut, Ill take a closer look at the HP, this decision isn't getting easier.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I pulled the trigger on the ZR24W. Ordered from B&H for 399 shipped. Since its close to me ground shipping will still get it here in a few days. So a good deal overall and put it in a good area between my other options.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Posting from the new HP ZR24w, it looks fantastic. Nice and clear and crisp, just what I was looking for. No dead pixels, but I think I see one dim pixel, kind of like a small sort of blur, its in the far right lower corner so I don't notice it at all. I have my old Samsung in dual mode to the right for comparison and I cant believe how badly it seems configured. Colors are drab, text has no pop, its like I put on a pair of glasses with the HP. Ill need to test some games now.

Edit: Tried a few games and didn't notice any issues, looked good, like the upped resolution.

Fingat fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 24, 2011

Fingat
May 17, 2004

The Dave posted:

That's exactly how I feel now, and I rarely do print, so I'm why gimp the majority of my work?

I see the ZR24W is $50 cheaper right now, and a newer model? Any reason to not go with it?

I picked up a ZR24W a couple weeks ago for 399 shipped:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=zr24w&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Its working great for me, although I'm not doing any web development.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Best Buy has a flash sale for a 27 in AOC IPS monitor for 170. I looked into it a month ago when they had a sale, now it's like half off. Good deal or bad monitors, how have AOC been? My use is light pc gaming and a spare monitor for ps4 and photo edits. I'm using a 24in hp currently but wanted bigger on a budget and native 1080p.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I might want to pick up a new monitor for Xmas, and I'm looking for some suggestions. I want to get a 144hz monitor only for gaming, and more specifically I'm focusing on Overwatch. I dont need more than 24in and 1080p as I'm limited a bit by my pc. Also TN would be fine as I already have an IPS for other uses. With my setup and decreased settings I'm pushing up to 144 fps in game on a GTX 670. Also I'm not sure what the budget will be exactly but some where in the ballpark of 300. Would G-Sync be the best option? Is this worth it with my setup?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I found Bestbuy has a G-Sync Acer XB240H refurbished for 299. I'm skeptical about a refurb, is that a decent deal?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Looks like Best Buy now has the AOC G2460PG 24in G-Sync in stock and on sale for 339. My current IPS is AOC so I like the brand I'm checking and reviews are favorable, what the thread think?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-g-sync-24-led-gaming-monitor-black-green/1445028.p?skuId=1445028

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Correct, I didn't mention my previous post that the current IPS is going to be kept for everything else other than gaming. With known budget/hardware restrictions I'm looking for TN and 1080.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Anyone know offhand if best buy will price match that dell.com price or is that a retailer they don't like?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Best Buy will match Dell's $399 for the S27 1440 144hz, total come to $435.

Thanks man, now to convince my wife this is the perfect birthday gift.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

My S2716DG came yesterday, and wow. Even coming from a 144hz gsync 24in @1080 and I'm impressed. First thing I did was move the settings window around and even that was smoother. Also it's nice to have 27in back as my main display, and my 1060 6g is not having a hard time with 1440 as I feared.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Ps4 doesn't output at anything other than 1080p/4k, there were rumors of a firmware to allow 1440p but that was probably someone's wishlist. I heard one of xboxes was going to support 1440 though? As for the monitor I use a cheap 27in aoc ips for my ps4 and it was 180 a couple years ago, I'd imagine you could find a 27in for your price range.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I feel like that is personal preference, but I had no issues with it on ps4 or when it's on my pc.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Volcott posted:

Last edit, scout's honor: figured I can afford 330 for the Alienware AW2724DM, seems to be a bit more feature rich. Thumbs up?

I was going to come here to post about this monitor tonight as I just got mine yesterday. I'm replacing a Dell s2716dg which I feel is still decent, but I've had it for over 5 years and wanted an IPS panel, and some more refresh rate. I didn't want to go up to 34in as I felt like it would need to be 4k to not lose detail. I didn't want to lose the performance by making that jump as I'm only on a 3080, so I decided to stick with 1440. I debated going ultrawide, but felt like I wouldn't find it as useful for my gaming use, and it would be a pain to fit my current desk setup. So I had narrowed my search down to the LG 27GP850-B and the AW2724DM. At first the LG wasn't on sale making the decision easy, but then the next day it went down to 356, but was still more expensive than the AW. Also I wasn't a fan of its styling compared to the AW. Which I found ironic that an Alienware product was the more subtle and sleek design. Also I thought the prong legs would be more in the way. I was worried about reports of poor text clarity and color issues on the AW. Thankfully mine has no issues with clarity that I can see. No backlight bleed and the IPS glow isn't very pronounced. I was pleasantly surprised by the colors and the whole thing feeling more bright and detailed than the Dell. I've read there may be some panel "lottery" in play with those issues, so it seems I got one of the good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Looks like the LG 27GP850-B has dropped even lower to 299 on Amazon. Sold and shipped by Amazon as well.