Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Nonpython posted:

I endorse the NEC EA231WMi. I own one and a Dell U2311H, and the NEC is light-years better. Review (Not by me): http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036050544&postcount=670

Did you calibrate with a colorimeter? It seems that the reviewer there was mostly going out-of-box.

I'm not asking to attack or anything, I'm just curious about how much of the (seemingly minute) difference between the two is due to slightly different factory settings/profiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

So I bought a Spyder3Pro and gave it a whirl on my Dell U2410. While it does make basically all the colors look a lot better, it really bothers me how it insists on on the brightness being 120 cd/m2, which as best I can figure is achieved by setting the Brightness to 0 and the Contrast to 48. Is this the generally accepted procedure to achieve what the calibration software is asking for? I can't help but feel that whites look a lot better at higher Brigthness settings, but seeing as this is my first time with a colorimeter I figure maybe it's just me not used to how things should be normally.

E: Hell could I just ignore the request to set it to 120 cd/m2 and just keep Brightness/Contrast at 50/50 and let the calibration proceed from there?

I recommend downloading the 10-day demo of Coloreyes Display Pro, which will let you customize whatever brightness you want, and calibrate colors to that. I don't think your version of the Spyder software supports setting different brightnesses. 120 cd/m2 is great for a dim room, but you probably want something more like 140 cd/m2+ if you're using it in a daylight-filled room and just making GBS threads around (not color matching prints or anything).

Also, brightness as 0 for 120 cd/m2 sounds low. Putting out a lower amount of light should be possible. For comparison's sake, Coloreyes is telling me 120 cd/m2 is equal to brightness 19 on my Dell u2311h.

Edit: Also, something cool about Coloreyes: it supports DDC, which means it can directly interface with the monitor and change brightness, contrast, and RGB settings as it's calibrating. My u2311h supports it, so I'd bet the u2410 would too.

VermiciousKnid84 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 22, 2011

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
Hey guys, does anyone have any tips about how to repair a scratch on an LCD monitor? I somehow managed to put a scratch of about 1cm in the bottom left corner of my u2311h. Is the Vaseline idea that google is turning up actually a good idea? I don't want to damage the screen or its coating any further.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
I'm having some issues with my Dell u2311h. Occasionally, when I either cold boot the computer OR turn on the monitor while the computer has been on (and move the mouse/tap the keyboard to activate the display), the u2311h will take half a minute or so to display an image. This problem also seems to coincide with a very unresponsive OSD. It'll take like 15 seconds for the brightness/contrast bars to pop up.

So far, removing the power cord for a while has served as a temporary fix, but the issue seems to eventually come back. I've also tried resetting the monitor to factory settings, although that can be difficult, with the OSD unresponsive and all.

Anyone had this happen to them? Google reports other instances, but no one has any suggestions besides what I mentioned and RMAing the unit.

When it last happened, I noticed the top of my monitor was pretty hot, in part because the back faces a sunny window. I'm gonna try to keep it out of the sun and see if the problem keeps occuring.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004

Sir Nigel posted:

RMA it. Ask for an advance RMA. Dell is pretty good about making sure its Ultrasharp customers are pretty happy. You may have to try a few times, but one of their customer support monkeys should be willing to do an advance RMA. They should send you your replacement unit and a box to ship the borked one back with.

Thanks, that's good to know about the advance RMA! Hopefully I won't get one with dead pixels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
I had a Dell u2311h that had some problems, called them up, got an exchange.

The exchange unit has a bothersome amount of backlight bleeding coming out of the top left corner.

From reading the Dell forum, it seems like Dell only guarantees that the very middle of the screen is within spec; they don't make any promises about the bleeding on the corners, and say that something like up to 25% variation is within spec.

How have people returned exchange units for this problem? What do I tell customer service? The first time I had a problem they even recognize, and that was still a pain in the rear end (45-minute conversation with a CSR trying to tell me that the problem with my buggy OSD was my graphics card that wasn't fast enough to draw a 1920x1080 screen...a 460 GTX, yah right). I hate having to deal with customer service over the phone.

On the plus side, their shipping of the replacement unit was super speedy.