Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

Looking for some advice. The tl;dr version is: do I go 1440p 144Hz, or 4k 60Hz?

I currently have/used to have an LG 27UDP68 (27" 4k 60Hz IPS). However, a few weeks before the warranty expired it started showing strong discoloration in the corners. I sent it back for a repair under warranty, but as the panel is no longer made and cannot be repaired, the store has offered me the screen's value in store credit (€450) to pick up a new one.

I was quite happy with the screen, doing mostly some of everything (coding, photo editing, gaming). In terms of the latter, I'm on an AMD RX480 8GB and generally play some older or not super demanding stuff, but sometimes also newer things like RDR2. More RPG/strategy-stype stuff, no twitchy shooters. I'm usually okay as long as I get 40+ fps at higher settings; I have no immediate plans to upgrade the graphics card, at least not until the cheaper AMD 6xxx / nVidia 30xx stuff comes out.

Having a 4k screen is very nice to watch 4k content, to play older games in very high resolution, and to have the flexibility to really put a lot on screen. Normally, however, I have Windows set to 150% scaling, as 4k on 27" is rather tiny. I guess that means I'm effectively using the screen as a 1440p one most of the time.

As such, I am looking at a couple of options, but I am a bit undecided on whether 1440p at higher refresh rates would be nicer than 4k at lower ones. Happy to hear some considerations or whether one of the options below is particularly good/terrible, or I'm missing out the ultimate screen.

Acer Nitro XV272UPbmiiprzomgwtfbbq (27" 1440p 144Hz IPS, €399)
+ High refresh rate, DCI-P3 colour space, FreeSync + GSync compatible, money left to buy not-included DP cable
- Not currently in stock, ugly foot

LG 27GL850 UltraGear (27" 1440p 144Hz IPS, €469)
+ High refresh rate, DCI-P3 colour space, FreeSync + GSync compatible, looks decent
- A bit of extra money
(I see a lot of people talking about the LG 27GL83-B? It's €439, but out of stock right now.)

ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ (27" 1440p 165Hz IPS, €499)
+ High refresh rate, FreeSync + GSync compatible, apparently reviews very well
- A tad more expensive, ugly-ish foot, 'only' sRGB colour space

LG 27UL650 (27" 4k 60Hz IPS, €339)
+ 4k Resolution, FreeSync compatible, looks very good, leaves a bunch of store credit
- 'Only' 60Hz refresh rate, 'only' sRGB colour space, not GSync compatible (?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU