Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The CFL backlights in my current Samsung displays are starting to have noticable warm up time to full brightness, which is a sign they're about to fail in the next few months, from what I can tell from experience. So I'm currently looking at a bunch of replacements, that also suit my photography hobby I've picked up after the mentioned Samsungs. I have two on the short list right now, these are the HP Z24i and the Asus PB248Q. Any objections to these?

Other than that, what I'm looking for are 24", 1920x1200, IPS panels, 100% SRGB and ideally not breaking the bank (since I eventually need two).

--edit: Also is Dell still running the panel lottery as years back, where review and initial batches came with awesome IPS panels, and suddenly were switched with TN ones?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ika posted:

I never heard of this before. I thought you just sometimes got unlucky with the backlight bleed. Have a source?
Not really. I just remember some drama like this from many years back. I've checked their website, they advertise IPS on the relevant models, so I doubt anything like this would happen now.

Dogen posted:

If you really need 100% you could go for the U2410.
99% oughta do, too, altho I'm not sure what the difference between that and a 100% one would be. Anything would be better than these SyncMaster 2443 of mine.

On Dell Belgium, there's only the U2415 and costs a 100€+ over the other models I've quoted. Hrm.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 3, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

That is either backlight bleed or IPS glow (probably this one). If the former it's ground for a return/exchange. If the latter you could exchange and hope you get one with less pronounced glow, but don't count on it. IPS glow is endemic to the technology and you generally have to pay out of your rear end for a model that eliminates this "feature".
What affordable models with the least of either are there, in either 24" or 27"?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

What's your definition of affordable?
500€ for a 24", 700€ for a 27". A little undefined headroom upwards, but that depends basically on the weather.

Brands like NEC and Eizo easily go for double of that. There's for instance the Asus PA series or the Dells that are factory calibrated, but they're somewhat uneven lit in the corners.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any point in going with a wide gamut display, if all I'm going to do is create content for the web? I'm going the easy way out and get a 27" Dell, but between the U2713HM and U2713H are "just" 80€, which is acceptable if wide gamut may be useful. I do photography and work on RAW files, so there might be a point to wide gamut, but ultimately things are going to land on the web.

--edit: Apparently the LG 27EA83-D has the same panel as the U2713H, and is 70 bucks cheaper. God I hate the display industry.
--edit2: But the LG has a 120hz PWM whereas Dell is something between 1-11kHz. Sigh.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 16, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hambilderberglar posted:

Does there exist a consensus on whether or not Eizo's EV2736W is a decent competitor to Dell's U2713H(M)?
I'm halfheartedly shopping for a new 1440p monitor and I've only ever heard good things about Eizo with the only downside being the price, and the price point of this one is so close to Dell for me in Euroland that I'm leaning toward giving it a try unless they're absolutely god-awful and no Eizo products <1000€ are worth buying.
I've just been looking at this one, and it appears to have way less light leakage than the Dell, also less IPS glow.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I hope the various sites hurry up in reviewing the Dell U2715H.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Graphics cards do only 30bit AFAIK, the monitor probably too, and usually it requires to buy the workstation version of that, like NV Quadro or AMD FirePro. I'm certain that NVidia kneecapped their consumer cards in that regard, not sure with AMD. And it requires application support, too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh nice. But still, I'm not sure how useful 40bit colors are on a TN panel (which is probably still 6bit FRC).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yep. But in generally in the display framebuffer, the alpha channel isn't used and just there for aligning the pixels to 32bit boundaries for faster access.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's the panel tech that doesn't have glow? AM-VA?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm interested in the Dell P2715Q.

I suppose Windows' high DPI mode is still a loving joke? Talking Windows 8.1 and beyond.

Does the monitor interpolate or expect a fix resolution? Say for running games at 1080p instead of 4K.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

4K sounded interesting for primarily photography and image editing. The resolution has also the advantage of allowing upscaling of 1080p games with an integer scale factor to 4K. And if HiDPI would work correctly in general (which it apparently doesn't), at 150% UIs would become easily legible without looking either mongohuge or too small.

HiDPI is almost mandatory. If my main apps all work OK, I suppose I could accept that some others break. Otherwise I'll have to look again at 1440p.

The P2715Q is being reviewed as pretty good and it's relatively cheap.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I wish these variable VSync techs would implement 23.96fps as minimum rate, for movie viewing.

--edit: Wait, I'm dumb. Twice the rate :doh:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

TheQat posted:

Are there any more IPS G-sync monitors known to be on the horizon? I'm really put off by the QC issues with the Acer, ease of RMAs notwithstanding
This.

I stumbled over the 1440p144 one from Acer earlier, and I was like "Woooooo, awesome colors for photo editing, and G-sync for gamez!" Hell, it doesn't do PWM either, another win. Then I entered this thread and I run into posts of QC issues. :saddowns:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The Asus one will be FreeSync apparently? I don't think that'll work with NVidia cards (yet)?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I should have been more specific. I'm more interested in a 27" display, that's also somewhat affordable.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

An Asus 1440p, 144 Hz IPS with G-Sync is on the horizon, slated for release in late August: http://www.overclock.net/t/1558309/various-asus-debuts-rog-swift-pg279q-144hz-ips-and-g-sync/0_50
That certainly looks interesting. Not a fan of the ROG stand, gotta plan for something else.

Hopefully they're not the same panels as in the Acer, inferring similar drama.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Does GSync/FreeSync help in any way with watching movies? I'd figure if my favorite video player vsyncs at 48hz instead of 60hz, it can play 24p content smoothly.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

Maybe it would need to be set at 47.952 Hz? Most content is 23.976. I, too, am interested if this is trivial to do.
In MPC-HC, you can make it play movies in dedicated fullscreen mode (think games) with custom framerates. You can even map playback rates to refresh rates.

Of course, that doesn't help with Netflix.

--edit: Eh, I tried NVidia's custom modes and put my secondary display in 47.952hz mode and run MPC in fullscreen. Seems to work, video is suddenly so much smoother!

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 4, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's the current go-to model of display for a 27" 1440p IPS with least glow? G-Sync would be nice, but purely optional.

--edit:
What about the Dell S2716DG? I know it's a TN panel, but people are swooning about it having decent color reproduction and none of the IPS glow and BLB bullshit.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 6, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

I just ordered one of these from Amazon, so if you can wait through the weekend I can give my impressions then.
Would be cool to hear about it. I can live with color casting that happens on angles I don't sit at to begin with, but I'd like to hear more about the grain of the antiglare coating. I hear different things, some say it's fine, others pretend like it's like sugar grains.

Zorilla posted:

You mean AH-VA, which is AUO's IPS technology. AM-VA is the one with deep blacks and is what you get if you really hate IPS bleed and glow and are willing to trade in some pixel response and viewing angle for it. My experience with TN shows that it still glows at the top and bottom when viewed head on.
As just said, I don't care about a display being able of color accuracy at a 160° viewing angle, I look at my two screens at 90° max (--edit: or whatever, I think I have my angles wrong). 144hz is also purely optional, merely a slight nice to have. Remains to be seen whether said pixel response is an issue in 60hz gaming (I don't play twitchy shooters a la Unreal).

I guess I'll be looking into AM-VA, too. --edit: The 1440p ones all seem 32" only. Too big. :|

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 7, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I think I've read somewhere that Eizo changed panels eventually for that model. At the beginning they were practically glowless and evenly lit, but at some point this apparently changed. I had it earmarked a while ago.
--edit: Nevermind, I think it was the EV2736.
--edit2: Yeah, unless something like with the EV2736 happens until this summer, I'll be getting the EV2750.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 7, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

Received the Dell SG2716, oh my is 144 Hz + Gsync such a stark contrast from 60 Hz. I've used the TFT central OSD settings and ICC profile and it looks pretty good, though the colors aren't near as vivid as my Eizo IPS.
But it isn't some washed out mess, right? As said, I've reports that it's pretty competent colorwise considering it's TN.

Meanwhile I've read things that the panel in the EV2750 is supposedly the same as in the Dell U2715H and some LG one (well, it is a LG panel). This is tricky, whether the extra for Eizo includes QC or just the branding.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

Folks who are looking at the 144 Hz IPS monitors really owe it to themselves to look in to the Dell S2716DG. It's a TN monitor, but an extremely nice one. No IPS glow to deal with, and the colors are almost as nice as my Eizo 1440P IPS monitor.
What about the matte grain? Is it really that coarse? Because I came across a bunch of posts of people dicking around with damp towels to get the matte film to unstick.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's a TN panel.

That said, with long term exposure, which'll overexaggerate effects, you'll always find a fault.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Out of curiosity, with Gsync/Freesync monitors, does proper frame timing in video playback automagically, or would the video player specifically need to support this?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently you'll end up with plenty of color banding on gradients on the S2716DG, if you adjust the gamma from default. Not cool.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anything worthwhile regarding 1440p+GSync been announced on Computex, that suggests to be better than the QC shitshow that has been happening?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

DrDork posted:

I'd rather they announce some more quality 1440p IPS >75Hz monitors rather than jumping straight to 4k which would take a multi-GPU solution to even approach pushing properly. Yet here we are.
Same. I'd prefer if they'd fix the issues with glow and bleed. Maybe figure out a way to miniaturize AMVA enough to create 27" 1440p and higher panels.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

AOC is going to release their own 27" 1440p 165hz IPS monitor soon. I wonder if it's the same sort of poo poo show as with Acer and Asus, or whether it's of a higher quality, since they can cherrypick and ditch the rest to OEMs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I don't think the XB271HU seems like a shitshow any more. That guy I linked earlier bought 5 panels and all were fine. I have a recertified and it's basically flawless.
Interesting to hear, but recent Amazon feedback is still wonky. Hrm.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh jesus, I hosed that one up then. :downs:

Regarding different things, apparently the Dell S2716DG possibly doesn't go HDCP on DisplayPort. Anyone can confirm?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Are there any decent 4K IPS displays with GSync? I don't expect them to go beyond 60hz, but it'd be nice to be tear-free below and also be able to watch movies smoothly.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 12, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/QZwqqs/acer-monitor-umhx1aa002
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/TzfmP6/asus-monitor-pg27aq

They both use the same screen iirc, I like the Asus better for the looks but the Acer's price probably makes it the better buy.
Thanks, I'll look into these. Price is definitely an issue, in regards to wanting two of them. I can't stand having two different types of screens on the desk, mismatching PPI probably won't make things easier.

--edit: Seems to have rather subpar panel uniformity regarding luminosity.

--edit2: Ah gently caress it. Ordered an XB271HU. Lets play the lottery.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 12, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So, my XB271HU arrived and that thing seems pretty drat nice. No pixel errors, no wild uniformity issues on first glances, BLB and glow remains to be seen when I don't have night shift.

Also, the colors! :aaaaa:

I thought I had my Samsungs calibrated nicely, but Jesus Christ...

Also, why are DP cables that short?!

--edit: Also, G-Sync... :psypop:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 14, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Now after using the XB271HU a few days, a G-Sync monitor was definitely worth it. If just for watching 24fps content smoothly instead of jittery like on 60hz panels.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

MeruFM posted:

does 24p videos have to be full screen for gsync to kick in?
No GSync needed for that. You'll likely run your desktop at 120hz or 144hz to begin with with a GSync display, both are multiples of 24hz. Altho 120hz is better, if you watch a lot of videos, because it'll also cover 30hz and 60hz. PAL gets hosed either way. I suppose what BurritoJustice says, windowed GSync might help.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 18, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Unless you managed to land on a really crappy panel, any amount of bias lighting makes the glow relatively unnoticeable. The glow on a decent IPS panel will certainly not be remotely as bad as what one knows from the IPS panels found in cheap laptops. If you value higher pixel density, VA panels are out of the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Rad Gravity posted:

I've never used bias lighting though, I usually watch movies in the dark.
Doesn't need to be a second sun behind your display, just something to raise ambient light levels slightly, which would hide the glow a little.

Rad Gravity posted:

I'm not sure I understand the comment about pixel density, isn't that just a matter of resolution and panel size? How would the type of panel make a difference?
For some reason I thought the X34 had 1080p, which would be slightly coarse in my opinion. I suppose 1440p is fine on 34" ultrawide. Kinda like these bigass VA panels that only do 1080p.