Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Assuming I had the hardware to make the most of it, is there such a thing as a 120Hz 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor with low-to-zero input lag for gaming (I'm not MLG material but I do enjoy multiplayer FPS)? Or am I just an idiot wasting $$$?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I want to buy a nice monitor with high resolution to take advantage of my nVidia 780. Is 2560 x 1600 a bad idea and I should stick to 1440?

I'd really like something 27 - 30", won't be used for work requiring great color rather just used for gaming, web browsing and movies. I'd been using Asus VW246H monitors for years and the low quality panels haven't bothered me. My budget is $1000~

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 8, 2014

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm in the market for a big 144Hz monitor to game on. Been using two Asus VW246Hs for years so cheap TN panels without height adjustment, bad color and light bleed don't bother me. Seems like the biggest monitors you can get that are 144hz and >1080p are 27" only? Any recommendations?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Deep, though if such a monitor exists for under $700 I might be able to pick up two.

Oh and just from reading 2 newegg reviews, apparently I can't use freesync because I have an nVidia videocard (and plan on buying a 980 Ti soon).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Would you be interested in a single 21:9 aspect ratio wide monitor? A bunch of those are going to hit the market soon, with G-sync too.

Sure that could work provided there's a reliable way to split the screen. Windows 8.1 split screen doesn't seem to work with anything other than their weird 'apps'.

This looks pretty good too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236466 ASUS MG279Q but it says free-sync. Will I still be able to get the higher refresh rate on an nVidia card?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Sounds like I will prefer a Gsync monitor then.

27"+ >1920x1080p 144Hz preferably G-sync monitor preferably under $700 but there's $ wiggle room. Any actual existing monitor recommendations? Thanks for the helpful replies everyone.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

BurritoJustice posted:

The Acer XB270HU is $750 and is 1440p/144Hz/IPS/GSync/27". Ticks all your boxes and then some.

Purchased, thank you. Found it here http://www.nothingbutsavings.com/Pr...xK-bhoCc6zw_wcB for $728 new. Google Trusted store, whatever that means.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
People like me like dual screens because its quick and easy to move windows between the two. Are you guys with ultra wides using software to 'split' it into two? Or just buying two ultra wides? As far as I can tell, Windows 8.1 doesn't support doing this natively, unless you count their lovely 'apps'.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Wasabi the J posted:

WinKey + left/right or drag the window to the left or right sides of the screen. poo poo is native in 8.1 and 10; 10 also has added native four way splitting.

TIL.

BurritoJustice posted:

Keep overdrive on, you'll have godawful motion blurring otherwise. Even the fastest of TN screens look like arse without some form of overdrive.

Oh shi, is the Acer XB270HU that I bought based on recommendation here going to have terrible ghosting?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

necrobobsledder posted:

and piss off people joining my Webex when I share my entire desktop.

The best reason.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thanks so much for the recommendation

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Chrome doesn't support 1080p Netflix either, only 720p. You have to use another browser to get it. https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742

Chrome is weird.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
PSA for potential xb270hu buyers: the DisplayPort cable it comes with is shorter than the HDMI and DVI cables I've had in the past.

I have my case on the right of my desk on the floor, and like to have the main display on the left (dual monitor setup). It was too short by about 3 inches and no amount of reconfig (except if I rearranged by whole desk setup and moved the case) would get it to reach.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I play CS:GO, just bought the xb270hu and don't notice a problem with 4ms response time. It's glorious too, playing on a 27" 2560 x 1440.

129 hours of CS:GO but I've only just begun playing MM in the last couple months and am MG1 with 37 wins so take what I say about CS with a grain of salt.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 12, 2015

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I don't notice any light bleed, but I have 1 red pixel. It's far to the right and I don't see it during regular use. Where would I find the manufacture date?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its in the back of the monitor under the monitor model, in a tag.

Ah OK so mine is May 2015 as well.

Got it from nothingbutsavings.com. They shipped it in its original box, so a. no additional padding from a larger box with filler and b. neighbors got a lovely eyeful of my new monitor sitting at the front door until I got home from work.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Trip report update: My xb270hu manufactured May 2015 does have some bleed but I had to turn all the lights off at night to notice it. During the day or with lights on it's barely perceptible. Mostly in the top right and left corners.

Still have 1 stuck red pixel that I can't seem to fix.

CS:GO at native res 144 FPS is interesting. When I first started playing with this new monitor my hit reg seemed completely off and I was missing a ton more than usual, but after a week I'm starting to get to arena 1 much more consistently on AIM 1v1 maps. It actually feels better clicking heads and getting the HS somehow, more satisfying, hard to describe.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
loving valve. so I've just trained myself to be good at a broken system, and so when they 'fix' it I'm going to be poo poo again and have to re-learn a third time...

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
what is your budget?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

FistEnergy posted:

Thanks guys. SH/SC has been the best for more than a decade.

You're welcome Andrew.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

uaciaut posted:

Hello recommend me one of these monitors:

DELL U2414H specs

Asus PA238Q specs or it's cheaper cousin
ASUS PB238Q specs (price difference is big on amazon, much smaller where i'm buying from, what gives?)

LG 24MB37PY-B specs

AOC I2470PWQU specs

Acer B246HYLAYMDPR specs

The cheapest one obviously, since you provided no other requirements.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Is it common to develop new stuck pixels a few weeks into use? Updated xb270hu trip report: I now have 2 stuck pixels

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I don't think I can RMA it for 2 pixels, right? It has to be > a defined number?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
They're on the extreme right and bottom of my monitor, I feel like I'd be gambling with another monitor with even worse dead pixels and then they start ignoring me for the second RMA.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yeah I tried this http://www.jscreenfix.com/ and it didn't work

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I thought HDMI couldn't handle 144hz.

edit: oh PS4.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There have been a couple trip reports from those of us who bought recently, with manufacture dates in 'May'. Some light bleed, one guy reporting no stuck/dead pixels, I have 2 stuck pixels. Neither of us reported needing to RMA yet.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

kojicolnair posted:

I bought one 2 weeks ago and, going off what I read in a few places, made sure the manufacturer date was at least June and it's completely perfect.

No light bleed?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Vendictus Prime posted:

I am trying to decide on a 27" high end gaming monitor. Anyone have any experience with the BenQ models and have any feedback on them or have another recommendation? ( I see a couple of models by BenQ are endorsed by WarGaming.net ) I am looking in the $400 US range, Asus has a nice ROG series but drat $750 is too high for a monitor.

So do you want high end gaming 27", or $400? They're two different things.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

ilifinicus posted:

Cool. I've went for the dual Ergotrons, will be nice. While digging, I found a crazy programmer blogpost who found a company that makes MODULAR monitor stands which you can keep adding parts to, expanding from two to four monitors etc

http://www.colebrookbossonsaunders.com/products/monitor-arm-stand/flo

looks pretty rad but holy poo poo that price tag

Is it more expensive than buying a 2 monitor ergotron then buying a 4 monitor ergotron? What is your time worth to you, trying to sell the used 2 monitor ergotron on craigslist? What if you get stabbed when meeting a guy from craigslist?

It's probably cheaper to just buy a 5 monitor ergotron.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Serious question, do I need a desk that doesn't have a glass top if I want to use these ergotrons to hold 2x27" I'm worried that it will crack/break off.

This is my desk: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Sculpten-Dark-Brown-Modern-Computer-Desk/6603226/product.html

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Mine definitely bleeds the most light out of the bottom right too.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Ambaire posted:

Hey, I was directed over here from the PC Building megathread. I'm putting together a new gaming system to replace the one I've had for about 7 years now, and they said that IPS monitors are good. I'm going with dual monitors, primary one for gaming, secondary for browsing, chat, and other stuff, and I'm wondering what 2560x1440 IPS monitor you would recommend for cutting edge gaming. I could also use a recommendation for a secondary monitor, which will probably be 1920x1080/1200.

Here's the components I have so far:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($341.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.90 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($146.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($479.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($684.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($129.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Headphones: Astro A40 + MixAmp Pro - Black 7.1 Channel Headset
Total: $2102.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-21 16:19 EDT-0400

Did the PC building thread also tell you to get something besides ripjaw RAM with its big dumb heatsinks that get in the way?

But yeh, XB270HU. 3 recent trip reports have been positive.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You should read the last 10 pages of the thread. It's informative. If you want 2560x1440 144hz g-sync 27" then this is what it costs. You could save some money by going to an i5 because you won't even notice the performance difference over the i7. Also go for a 500GB SSD to save more money, you don't need a pro. You also don't need 32GB of RAM.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 21, 2015

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm very surprised that his poor system build wasn't covered in the other thread. i7, 32gb ram, 1tb ssd, optical drive, massive dumb heatsink ram etc its an inefficient build.

Halve the ram, i5 cpu, no optical, cheaper ram, get bigger monitor.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 22, 2015

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Ambaire posted:

Edit: Also, Ranter, would you mind telling me why you think a TB SSD + 2 1TB HDS in raid1 is inefficient?

Because you balked at the price of the monitor, and the only reason you gave earlier was you didn't want to have to reinstall games sometimes. Do what you want mate, it's your inheritance. I won't derail the thread any further.

Subjunctive posted:

When writing in RAID1, the OS has to wait until all drives have completed the write before signaling that it's finished. This means that your write performance is gated by your slowest drive, though if the OS is smart (and I don't know if Windows is in this particular way) your read performance could be equal to that of your fastest drive. More likely some reads will be sent to the slower platters, sharply reducing the effectiveness of your expensive SSD. (You also only get 1TB of effective storage.)

RAID1 is about high availability, but it sounds like you just want backup. I'd recommend using 1 HDD as a backup target with daily backups from the primary SSD, and the other for slow-is-fine media that doesn't need to be backed up, if you have all the drives already. There's a whole backup thread in SH/SC though, so it's probably worth checking it out.

I could be mistaken but I think RAID 1 is for mirroring drives (so 2 or 4 drives, not 3) therefor he would only be putting the 2 storage HDDs in RAID 1 configuration, not the SSD. You are correct though that RAID 1 is for HA and is certainly not a backup system. Why he needs HA, I have no clue. </derail>

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Hikaki posted:

Welp, my XB270HU came and the "good" news is that it only has one stuck pixel, which I can deal with. However, it also has 4 smudges under the screen that are around 4-6 pixels large each. The biggest one is in the central area and is annoying as heck. I ordered a replacement from Amazon and since they're out of stock the delivery estimate is 1-2 months. I think I might just cancel the replacement and do a return after hearing about the news about the 271.

Disappointing, but not unexpected.

Google Butt posted:

Just hooked up my xb270hu and

DEAD PIXELS

drat, so much for the last few positive trip reports. Sorry to hear about this fellas.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If you could buy a big ultrawide curved monitor but only from https://www.cdw.com and had to be $999 or less, what would ya'll buy?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yep office work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thanks that's what I thought too but goon opinions are always good and never wrong.