Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

bloodynose posted:

Anyone here have a u2311h from the outlet? Does the warrantee still cover dead pixels?

I think people were saying it's identical to the warranty for the brand new product.

So I'm seriously considering buying one of these, but I added two to my cart by mistake, and as far as I can tell, Dell Outlet doesn't provide a way for you to edit your cart.

you can't change quantity manually, but there is a "remove item" link at the top of the cart.

smug forum asshole fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
Pulled the trigger on a U2311H refurb :ohdear:

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

Refurbished Dell monitors come with a 90-day limited warranty. That sounds pretty terrible!

Yeah, jesus, this is why a few pages back I asked if anyone had a definitive answer on the warranty policy for these, and at least one person said and linked to a page that said it was a full three-year warranty. I'm back to being unsure of how long tthe warranty is, and now unsure if this purchase was a good idea.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Yeah, jesus, this is why a few pages back I asked if anyone had a definitive answer on the warranty policy for these, and at least one person said and linked to a page that said it was a full three-year warranty. I'm back to being unsure of how long tthe warranty is, and now unsure if this purchase was a good idea.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3041540&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=93#post385555774 :arghfist:

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
FYI for prospective refurbished monitor buyers: the warranties may be provided on a per-monitor basis. I called and they told me that the warranty wasn't 90 days like the guy in this thread posted, or the full 3 year warranty which was mentioned in the last thread, but instead I would have a one year warranty. If you're thinking about buying a refurb, you might want to check on the phone with them just to make sure you're getting what you expected.

After he said 1 year, I asked if they could cancel my order and I got transferred to another department that was closed :arghfist:

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Antignition posted:

Yup, sorry fellas. Guess I read it wrong.

EDIT: The warranty said Same-as-New. Apparently it was referring to the monitor not the warranty.

So I called and I was able to cancel my order. It was actually pretty cool: they offered me an additional $25 off if I would re-consider canceling. It would have been an even better deal then, but I think having the safety of a 3 yr warranty is better.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
So I was able to return the refurb U2311H and I bought a brand new one when the price dropped to 279. It came today and it was totally worth it, and I'm glad I didn't get the U2410, because it would have been too huge, because this thing is just enormous.

:hehe:

I was somewhat concerned that the aspect ratio would be weird or uncomfortable to me, coming from a 16:10 dell 2005fpw. This is not the case. It's great. Time to calibrate I guess

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Rueish posted:

I really want to get a new monitor to go along with my current one, I don't want to spend more than $160 and won't go any less than 20". Reading this thread enlightened me a bit but I'm still slightly clueless.

These seem to be a pretty good one for the price, at least to me: here or this one

What will you be using your monitor for primarily? What is the largest you are willing to go?

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Paino posted:

Wow, the reviews look great.

The only downsides I can see are lack of HDMI input and (maybe) ghosting/lack of responsiveness in faster games? The former is a hassle but bearable, the latter kind of bothers me. Any U2311H owner can confirm/deny the issue?

This has a displayport input, and I think you might be able to just get an hdmi adapter for it, same signal right?

I've not yet seen ghosting on this monitor and I play the kinds of games where people care about ghosting! In fact, i'm about to play right now!!~

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
It isn't in motion, but here's a screenshot of me playing Dead Space on my U2311H last weekend at 1920x1080, it runs at more than 60fps on average and I have absolutely no complaints about refresh rate:

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
To put it a different way: in my opinion, anyone who has concerns that refresh rate is an issue with the U2311H should not be concerned.

jesus christ some of you guys are assholes

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

We're just completely baffled at why you think a screenshot of a game is at all relevant to monitor discussion.

Welp, I guess when I was posting about gaming on this monitor I should have quoted the guy two posts above me who said that his brother tried to scare him into thinking that a 120hz refresh monitor was necessary for gaming. My bad :cool:

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Here's what you're not understanding...

I understand all that -- let's pretend I directed those posts at MrOnBicycle and that I said I think he's making a great choice and am pretty sure he won't be disappointed with anything about this monitor, least of all gaming. I think there are a few other screenshots (some of actual monitors) of people gaming on their dell ultrasharps in this thread.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

TheEye posted:

The U2311H is now on sale in Dell's store for $279. Is that pretty much the lowest it gets, or can I probably get a better deal sometime in the near future? (Note: I work for a small business and can get it through them if small businesses get better deals, but currently it's the same price for both.)

That's a very good deal on the U2311H (it's what I paid, and I waited quite a bit). That's pretty much as low as they get, unless you're able to get them from a Dell Distributor, who might be able to get it to you just a few dollars cheaper.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

fyallm posted:

I am confused again. From movak's post above "but does great at 1920x1200, the resolution of your U2311H."

Will the U2311H not run in 1920x1200?

He mistyped, the U2311H is 1920x1080 :)

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

I think my Dell 2005FPW is hitting the bricks. Whenever I turn it on after it's been to sleep all night the image scrolls rapidly until it finally stabilizes and it's solid and looks fine.

Should I stick with the new crop of Dells or move to another company?

My 3-4 year old 2005FPW started doing this in the fall. I replaced it in December with a U2311H. If you liked the 2005FPW, you'll like the U2311H/U2410 just as much, if not more.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
The controls on my U2311h are suddenly very unresponsive and the unit takes a long time to power on from standby mode :sigh:

e: I turned it off, then on, and got five minutes of static (pic). I unplugged it, and plugged it back in, and the static is gone, but the controls still don't work. Pressing any of them either doesn't work, or displays a lock icon on the screen (about 50% on each).

smug forum asshole fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 18, 2011

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Avalanche posted:

DO NOT RMA the U2311H unless the issue is so horrible that you have no choice. Dell's RMA units are dogshit. I RMA'd my original U2311H because of a few stuck/dead pixels, and received a refurb that had about 12 stuck pixels all in a nice dime sized area of the screen. I would turn the thing on, and see a circle of red/green/blue dots in the mid-right center of any background image. loving rediculous.

I RMA'd that one, and received another U2311H refurb. This one has been fine except for one stuck red pixel located in the far right side of the screen. Im not even going to bother with another RMA attempt (both monitors were revision A01's too). The one decent thing about this recent refurb is that the whites seem a lot more accurate, and crisp than the original monitor I bought from dell.

I guess any kind of LCD monitor is doomed to have some kind of pixel problems even in this day and age. I have yet to buy an LCD TV/monitor in the past 7 years that has not had some kind of pixel problems.

I've been holding out on sending out my U2311H out to them (see post here) because of similar concerns. Anyone else care to comment on this? Are the U2311H RMAs generally pretty good, or are they generally a huge pain in the rear end?

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

My Dell 2005FPW is making GBS threads the bricks. Whenever I knock it out of sleep mode in the morning or when it hasn't been in use the screen flickers/refreshes like crazy until the video final stabilizes. It sort of looks like a projector playing everything really rapidly and eventually settling on a stable image.

Would this be a video card problem or the monitor itself?

My 2005FPW started doing this too. I replaced it with a U2311H. I am very satisfied :hehe:

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

The Dave posted:

God drat, I have to say that's all pretty discouraging and I really don't want to shell out for a colormeter.

Try renting one from a camera shop :)

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
Just got my replacement U2311H. I'm getting the old monitor set up to return to Dell.

Which of the numbers on the outside of the box is the DELL DPS number and which is the DELL Exchange Order number? And why should I be writing them on the return waybill, as well as the outside of the box, if there are no fields for me to write this information on the return waybill? :arghfist:

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
Also, this replacement monitor has a few stuck/dead pixels in the upper left hand corner of the screen. Have any of you had success in repairing/"massaging" stuck/dead pixels?

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
I really want a secondary desk monitor. The color doesn't have to be awesome (mostly writing code, a little reading. any color-intensive stuff would happen on my main monitor), but it should be able to orient vertically.

Are there any excellent products that are always a good buy? (Or great deals on something that should fit the bill?) I've been a Dell monitor guy for years, is anything else worth trying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Space Gopher posted:

If you want a portrait orientation, IPS is more or less necessary. TN monitors are usually designed with a fairly narrow vertical "sweet spot" for viewing angles - after all, you might shift side to side, but you're probably not going to change your height all that much at your desk. Flip the monitor 90 degrees, though, and it becomes a problem.

A U2312HM is a good Dell option. You can pick one up from the small business website for $230 right now. If you're looking to save money, and don't care about (or dislike) Dell's aggressive antiglare, you could also go with an Asus VS229H-P for $150ish. The stock stand on those is tilt only, but you can get a VESA desk stand or clamp-on arm from Monoprice that supports rotation for $20-30.

this is excellent info. thank you.