Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Looking for a large monitor mostly for working from home but also occaisional gaming. My current monitor is a full hd 24 inch Samsung IPS that’s about a decade old.

I’m not planning to upgrade it any time soon so I was wondering if I should get a 4k screen or if QHD is good enough. For size I’d like to go somewhere between 27 and 34 inch.

I came across this Iiyama 34” curved UWQHD that looks like it ticks all the boxes.

I haven’t kept up with monitors at all so I have no idea if Iiyama is (still) considered a good brand or if I’m better off looking for something completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's a VA monitor which are known for pretty poor response times / ghosting issues. Desktop use actually may be more obnoxious than gaming because OS user interfaces present lots of high-contrast lines (text, window borders, the cursor, etc) which will leave very obvious trails behind as you move them around.

I wasn't aware of that, I saw it had a 1ms response time (as opposed to the 4-5ms most IPS monitors seem to have) and figured it'd be at least on par if not better. Guess I need to do a bit more research.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I want to buy a new monitor to replace my 10-15 year old Samsung 2443BW which is a TN screen. I use it mostly for office work and sometimes a bit of gaming. No fancy, state of the art triple A games, think Diablo 3 and Counter Strike or something.

So screen size is way more important and ideally I can keep using it for the next decade. I was thinking about getting a 34" curved 1440 screen but not sure if it's smart to go for a 120/144/160Hz screen and if I should look at IPS or if VA is fine for my use case as well. I was eyeing the LG 34GN850-B which doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere right now. Any thoughts on this?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I had some really bad experiences with Dell support so I’m going to avoid that.

Good to know that I should keep ignore VA and just stick to finding an IPS screen. As you said, there are so many of them I started wondering if I was dismissing them too quickly.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Shipon posted:

The 34GP83A is almost equivalent to the 34GN850 except for some slight differences in response time and gamma, but it still is a great ultrawide IPS monitor.

That looks like it fits my requirements exactly. Except for the fact it’s not available in the EU :argh:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

LG 34GN850 came back in stock so I ordered one. Can’t wait until tomorrow to see how much of an upgrade this is over my decade old full hd 24” TN screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I think I saw some talk about calibrating your screen some time ago. Is this something that's necessary for most screens or only for specific type of screens?