Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

hbag posted:

where can i get a cheap colour CRT tv (or monitor with a coaxial input)
and i do mean cheap

I have found crt’s for sale at both pawn shops and Goodwill stores. Back when Tie Fighter was cutting edge I bought a 27” color crt at a pawn shop in Nashville (I’m outside of Memphis). I drove down and the guy was complaining not only about the gouges on the plastic but also how loving unwieldy and heavy it was. I got it for $150, because he just wanted it gone! I had to wedge a custom measured 2x4 under the monitor hutch on my computer desk, and although it fit left-to-right, I had to remove the shelf above to allow it to fit. I gave it to my brother-in-law in a trade for an entire flight sim setup in 2015, and last I saw he was running a full Unix-from-the-80s desktop (his Ph. D is in CompSci). Still chugging along to this day AFAIK.

Pawn shop, charity/vintage shop, or even a big local business or hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Rollie Fingers posted:

This guy’s been using the LG CX Oled screen as a monitor for six months and hasn’t noticed burn yet:

https://youtu.be/AhV09HD7Ee0

He says he hasn’t had to babysit it, but he’s still hidden the taskbar and all desktop icons and changes backgrounds regularly.

The part that I’d find ultra irritating is the screen’s burn-in protection auto adjusting brightness regularly

If worried about burn-in, can’t you just turn the screen off when you’re done? Or does it burn in while you’re actually using the monitor like a WoW UI for a few hours since most UI elements don’t change very often like a screensaver does?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

DrDork posted:

It's the second bit: largely static UI elements are what's going to cause burn-in. It's very, very obvious on things like older OLED TVs that get used to display the same news channel all the time, or some OLED phones. A few hours won't cause it, but when those elements have been showing a specific color for thousands of hours it can show up.

It was a lot bigger problem with older OLED tech, and remains a big issue for displays that use actual R/G/B elements instead of all-white + color filters. But as Butterfly Valley noted, it's an inherent limitation with the technology that individual lighting elements will degrade at different rates based on how much they're used, and that will eventually lead to uneven lighting.

I am so glad to learn about this from both of the replies. I remember my mom had spent money for dad’s birthday because he was a hobbyist level photographer that had not only just moved from film to digital, and the tv was one of the very first generation to have USB slots included. Dad immediately put an award-winning landscape photo of Mnt. St. Helens before the explosion and forgot to turn it off. So when we were playing games or watching rented video tapes, the volcano was always with us!

I didn’t even think of burn in on a tv from channel logos, which is good to know because my own (college grad) son had NickJr on in the background constantly. Every channel these days has one. I thought that it had to be on the screen with no changes for a long time to trigger burn in, and forgot that if you play a game when part of the UI is static you have the same process. It was a really jarring revaluation because I never put 2 & 2 together! I see the benefits of (WoW again) having a UI that fades away between different activities (combat, crafting, looking at maps, etc) and never keeps the same screen up constantly. Thanks again; it really makes a difference in choices for me since my “dual monitors” are actually two TVs.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Three Olives posted:

I just want to reiterate, it would be an extra display on top of what I already have. I've looked and pricing would be expensive, but like, expensive in relation to a normal display, not like in relation to an iPad Pro. My goal would just be some extra space below my existing displays to display the weather and Hulu, not as computing space. I currently have a JBL Google Smart Display, a Lenovo Android Tablet and a weather station display under there, so the goal would just have something sleeker and easier to use to what I do now with these devices, like say in a severe storm load the local weather news feed on my JBL display, put RadarScope on my Lenovo Tablet, or like throw iMessage and Spotify below my two main screens while I work.

Right now I have a 50 inch TV mounted in portrait on my home office wall to display the weather, my calendar and task list, which has actually been super helpful, my idea would be to expand on that to have a large space on my desk to display, well, not unimportant information, but less important information than my primary tasks.

Are you the Batman? :smugdon:

Seriously though I had pimped out my nephews to help a cigar buddy of mine who is a retired FedEx pilot and while they were moving stuff out of his attic they found a six year old 55” LG LCD LED television still in the box. I know exactly how old it is because his two sons helped their mom hide it as a Christmas present right before she was diagnosed with cancer, so they promptly forgot the TV.

I know it’s kinda weird, but Rusty’s boys are pilots and his two girls are very high up management in the FBI and NTSB. They are an extremely low-key bunch, but I’ve smoked cigars and played ball with the kids for almost 20 years now and the family is simply wealthy enough to “forget” a big screen TV. So my nephews brought it to me because they know I had talked about getting a (slightly) newer display to go with my new RTX 3070 and ten year old Insignia 42” and eight year old WalMart 24” monitor. I didn’t say this to brag, but mainly so you folks would understand how I ended up with basically a free 55” TV that is causing my extremely privileged person problem: would I be better off squeezing the TV into my attic lair and using it as a single big display all by itself? Are there programs for Win10 that would let me “divvy up” the screen into completely different pieces to mimic 2-4 monitors and gift my still-working fine setup to my brother? Or if there is no way to do that with software, should I keep what I have because I’ve gotten very fond of being able to play full-screen games/Netflix and check the home network/email/web/projects at the same time. I barely have the room in my Gooncave for either option, so keeping both simultaneously physically just won’t work. I know it is not a normal problem (I am on disability, and this is the nicest present I’ve ever gotten and Rudy’s family is wealthy enough to afford it). The nature of the gift is why I don’t give it to a family member or chunk it on eBay, and I could mount it in my 97 year old Granny’s room because I’m moving into her (bigger) room once the Alzheimer’s gets her.

TL;DR: Any way to split a big TV into 2-4 “separate” displays with a cheap hardware or even software solution? I’ve seen my own son and nephews play XBox FPS games in a split-type 2/4 screen setup without needing extra hardware, but have not a clue for the capabilities of a newer PC. Any thoughts or links are highly appreciated!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

MrMoo posted:

The monster 30"+ displays usually have that function with multiple inputs.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/5/2/15513200/lg-4k-monitor-42-inch-ips-freesync-43ud79-b

I seem to recall some like of streaming hardware controller that can do this, at random prices. Something like this, idk there are probably better options,

https://feelworld.ltd/products/feelworld-livepro-l1-v1-multi-camera-video-mixer-switcher-4-hdmi-input-usb3-0-live-streaming

Maybe one of these picture-in-picture boxes, but something less awful?

https://www.amazon.com/Zettaguard-Wireless-Switcher-Switches-ZW410/dp/B01BV1XBIY/

Thank you soool much! I had seen the monitors that do this natively, which is why I figured there might be a way to do this on a older-model-but-good-TV with some sort of hardware/software. Not really just PiP, as I already run a RPi 0w for Pi-Hole on a re-purposed car panel that sits on a shelf that is only 4”. But the film mixer looks great. I had tried to find a device as a “splitter” instead of a “switch” on searches so wasn’t finding out anything. Thanks again for setting me on the right path!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

K8.0 posted:

DisplayFusion is almost certainly what you're looking for.

I looked it up and that looked neat! So there is both a hardware and software solution! I had spent a bit of time with the same places all around where I have distant family and good friends, but looking for the wrong term😂. Now it’s easy and I copied the DF url to my desktop so I can actually sit and read it. Not sure which route to take until I quit waffling over two vs one-big, but I really appreciate the effort!

Edit: Room looks neat; I love the portrait screen for all kinds of reasons, put a beach-from-a-window scene and pretend it’s a window anywhere in the world! ^^^

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 16, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Three Olives posted:

Some cruise ship company has portrait screens in interior rooms without windows display 4K images of the view outside of the boat. My screen flips into different modes automatically, like on the weekends it shows family photos in virtual frames layered on top of the background.

Given how much the cost of relatively high quality 4K HDR displays has come down, I'm honestly a little surprised that enough people aren't doing this or considering about doing this for a company to sell 4k window views to consumers. There are a few companies that do it, but really only for commercial applications like hospitals, so :10bux:

I have a friend in Boston whose husband is IT at a hospital where she works. They have separate “smart mirrors” on their home network running by some sort of RPi to pull info by touch to check constantly on electronic patient files logged into the medical records and his does some kind of telemetry I don’t understand but looks really complicated to a lotek like me. They act like tall iPads with no visible app shortcuts until you touch the left-upper corner.

He built it after looking up those workout mirror things on TV, using a guide from some Linux-flavored DIY projects before adding in and improving them. I used their bathroom during a visit a couple of years ago and left both with Goatse and Dickbutt as the slideshow screen saver :butt:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Three Olives posted:

Probably MagicMirror

https://magicmirror.builders/

I've kind of thought about doing one but I think my husband might very well murder me if I did considering that we already have 8 Google Smart Displays and 4 large wall mounted screens running Dakboard that are never turned off, which is basically equivalent to MagicMirror, but commercially supported.

Basically if you put a display behind a two way mirror, anything black will just show the mirror, anything illuminated will show through the mirror.

That looks exactly like theirs’ did! I saw the link, too, and I do think that has to be it.

I love the future :hydrogen:

Edit: ^^^Techies have the coolest houses! I don’t think I can run all that on my 30 down/5 up 4G LTE modem’s bandwidth, though...

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 16, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

K8.0 posted:

and the LG monitors actually claim a wider color space than it and a higher max brightness.

Goddammit if there is one thing I need at two am on my screens it’s higher loving max brightness! 🤬

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

TheDK posted:

Yeah all my screens are at like 18 brightness. I don't know what it means in candelas but it's way lower than factory default.

F.lux saved my life, and Win10 has a nite-light all its own, too.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Lowen SoDium posted:

I read that model name as

The Acer XZ342CK

The Acer Louis C.K.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Cygni posted:

I’m by no means an expert and I’m an 80s baby so it was before my time, but I went down a rabbithole reading about it after coming across some of the hardware in a storeroom in an air traffic control tower. They were doing live overlays on the radar scopes, all analogue, and it was extremely cool. The incredible things people were able to do with basic manual or analogue tech is a dying art imo.

There is a period-specific video in the r/AnalogComputers about the Norden Bomb Sight. It was a Fite Control Mechanical Computer in WWII. It’s a dead sub but occasionally (over time measuring months and years) gets a great post!

Here’s the video:

https://youtu.be/s1i-dnAH9Y4

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Combat Pretzel posted:

KVM switch. --edit: Or just HDMI switch, if it's all just solely about video.

I got a bi-directional HDMI switch a while back before I dragged my Dad’s old square flat-screen out. It even had a “springy” button to change inputs. I thing it was like $8(?) on Amazon Prime.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ExecuDork posted:

Awesome. "HDMI Switch" in the Amazon search box got me where I needed to be. Thanks..

The only other thing I can think of is make sure the switch is bi-directional. Good luck!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Lowen SoDium posted:

I was doing it with a windows 10 pc.

Any good iOS apps that would allow an iPad 2(3? First with Retina Display and Lightning charger) to monitor a home network or a MSI Afterburner equivalent to monitor my Win10 machines’ hardware? Temps and stuff, or an iOS Speccy clone to show everything at once? The iPad still works great, but no longer receives updates. The WiFi is still solid, too, and the 1st gen RD is still stunning!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Joe Man posted:

Agh this is so tempting again. Is there a way to hard disable the speakers?

I have a small app running called “Sound Switch.” If I press the programmed hot key I can just instantly switch between headphones and my 15 year old rear end kicking speaker setup. The two “monitors” (LED TVs) and the Apple TV box are visible but I don’t ever need to switch the audio to them so a couple of mouse clicks is NBD. I think I got Sound Switch from the Microsoft store for free.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Rinkles posted:

woops, not the chromebook thread

Sure! It’s in the title, even! 😜

This may sound weird, but I’ve been having some trouble for a little while with my GOG Galaxy and Steam programs starting out “too big” for my TV/monitor. Like it starts without trouble but most of the times it starts with the min/max/close buttons in the top right off the page and no way to grab an edge to move the program to adjust it. Like as in it needs 1995p or something similar. Sometimes I cannot hit a button near the bottom of a page because it’s not coming with a scroll bar (up/down or right/left).
Is this something I can fix with a “Maximize” hot-key (is there one?) or extending the display> fixing size> go back to two individual screens again? I have latest drivers as of yesterday and have never seen this before.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I forgot about zoom on the tv settings. First thing I’ll look at when I get home!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

EoRaptor posted:

<alt>-<space> will bring up the window size menu in most applications, from there you can move the window or change its size.

Cool. I still have a txt file printed from Notepad like 12 years ago tacked to my bookcase with very small print of all the ASCII codes for different symbols to put in emails/Usenet posts.

I am in-between two bookcases; plenty of room to tack up a simple txt printout of basic Windows key combos. You are cool 😎!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Helter Skelter posted:

There is! Win+up will maximize the current window. Win+left/right will also snap a window to the left/right side of the screen.

Neat as heck! You are cool 😎 too!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Rinkles posted:

Win+P is another potentially useful shortcut if you ever use or change between multiple screens. It brings up the the "project" screen menu. Especially useful when you don't have access to the screen your PC is currently outputting to (e.g., if your tv is in another room)!

I appreciate that. I’m sure RPi OS has something built-in since it’s even more of a tech-centered platform, and Linux users would already be aware of the keys to press. Thanks again for the info (you are also cool 😎)!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Alarbus posted:

HDMI Switch on Amazon. Pick one that has easy to understand looking buttons. I got one years ago for my Dad to use with his plasma tv, still works great for swapping between comcast, chromecast, and bluray. They're like $20.

Yeah when I got my RPi 0w in I used (this was important according to my IT bro-in-law) a bi-directional switch with one single button. If I wanted input from my desktop to my monitor, it was fine. If I needed to see what Raspbian was doing, push the button and I didn’t need another keyboard/mouse.

Much easier than plug/unplug and the switch was from Amazon for less that $16. It was simple enough it didn’t need to explain and it didn’t even have a piece of instructions or anything.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Wibla posted:

I spent the weekend at my folks place, where I have two old 24" 1200p monitors with CCFL back light and god knows how many thousand hours on them. They absolutely need some time to hit the proper brightness :haw:

It’s funny to me that my best monitor for video or photos is my oldest. It’s a Sony SDM-HS95 running off a GTX 970 at 1280x1024/60MHz.

It’s a square first or second gen flat screen, and connects ONLY by VGA-through-DVI-adapter. Color is RGB but still beautiful for Netflix and Amazon Prime and Disney+. I have a couple of CRTs in the closet but they are under a bunch of clothes I need to take to Goodwill, but I’d seen a rumor or fact about CRTs being great for colors lost in the analog/digital revolution. I’m sooo used to widescreen for TV (digital OTA, no cable) it takes a minute to adjust every single time I sit down.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Rinkles posted:

CRTs are supposed to be great for motion clarity (LCDs work in a way that causes a blur between frames), and have the benefit of displaying any supported resolution "natively", that is without upscaling the image (because the image is generated by the motion of an electron gun, rather than a grid of lights).

Glad to know that wasn’t just in my head. I have a Lively Wallpaper that is multicolored Matrix Rain on an emulated CRT. It’s beautiful straight offa download.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I have a dual monitor setup that I have had zero problems with, and they are definitely not the same.

My main monitor (gaming, photos, Netflix, etc) is a 40+” Visio. It runs with no icons or taskbar, and is set native at 1080p/60.

My second monitor is a 32”Westinghouse (everything else). It is capable of 1080p/120, but I set it at 60 anyways. It is where I watch YouTube vids when playing a game for help with stuff I get stuck on. The only “custom” thing is that its stand is sitting on two textbooks to match the top of the big monitor, which I found to be best for my eyes because of one mouse/two display issues.

Before I got a new computer, main was HDMI while the other was DVI. My GTX970 ram this setup flawlessly for six years and both never ever got turned off unless the power was off in the neighborhood. They are now DP/HDMI off my RTX3070 and run everything I throw at it.

I run DisplayFusion to manage them as it is easy and more intuitive than default Win10 tools.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm using a 1440p monitor over DisplayPort, next to a 37" 1080p television over HDMI.

Games go on the monitor, videos go on the TV (which also has AndroidTV built in, so we can change inputs and watch it from the nearby sofa). It works just fine, and the TV is usable as a second monitor if I need extra browser windows up or whatever.

The only annoyance is that when my monitor turns off or goes into standby mode, the TV becomes my primary display and auto-resizes all of my windows to fit. So when I go back to my 1440p monitor (which immediately takes back "primary display" duties), my windows are smaller and not where I left them.

Anyone know how to get Windows 10 not to do this? I want the TV to be "secondary monitor" even if the primary isn't currently available. It worked this way with my old Dell monitor (also over DisplayPort) and the same TV, so I'm not sure what changed.

I used to have this issue, but I found a stupid as hell workaround: if my screens never sleep and never turn off, even a simple screensaver running 10 hours while away from home never “resets” or merges 1 & 2 screens (and the icons on the desktop stay fine).

There has to be a better way, but that’s what I did with my old system, too.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Max Wilco posted:

Oh, it doesn't. Finding one online through Amazon or whatever would work fine. The Costco ones I put forth because I thought the prices were good. Getting a specific model number or link to a product page would make things easier, and it would be better to give them something they can get sooner rather than later.

As far as performance hitches go, I figured I could toggle to just my old monitor if was running something more intensive. Someone mentioned Display Fusion, which I've not used, but I've kept in mind if I ever got a second monitor and needed to toggle things.

Probably my suggestion. I only have the free Display Fusion, but it seems to run the “theme” slideshow on both monitors separately, which I love, as well as placing a small clickable rectangle near the Windows “minimize” ( _ ) button on every window that allows me to one-click HWInfo or small-print to my larger TV/monitor. I can even read scaled up close captioning better without any special (and prone to bugs) effort.

I run Lively Wallpaper on my small laptop, though. The animated backgrounds and Reddit sub to get more are just fun, and you can even make a downloaded or livestreaming video the background. It’s completely superfluous, but it looks nice.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Max Wilco posted:

I think I'd either go with the MSI G273QF, or the non-QD MAG274QRF. On Amazon, there's only like a $10 price difference between the Gigabyte M27Q and the MSI G273QF, and the BGR subpixel flaw you describe with the Gigabyte is a mark against it for me, since it sound like it makes some text harder to read.

Of the two MSI monitors, I'm leaning more towards the MAG274QRF, since it looks like it would fit on my desk better (the G273QF has those legs that stick out to the side, which I imagine would make it awkward when trying to place the two monitors close together) and the tilt/rotate adjustment would help with angling where I can see it properly. RTINGS doesn't seem to have a review for the non-QD monitor, but on Amazon, the QD variant is $200 more ($569), and based on what you said, the lack of QD isn't too noticeable.

Yeah, it's the sort of thing where you have to experiment with what works well and what doesn't. If I try running something on the 1440p and the performance suffers, I can either turn down the settings or toggle over exclusively to the 1080p to play it.

Eventually, if/when things eventually improve, and buying/building a computer becomes more viable, I can upgrade to a more powerful system and run games on a 1440p with ease.

I understand jumping up in resolution for quality on the right hardware. I understand why 1ms response is good for many Pro and ProAm e-sports because it can mean the difference between $50K and having to sell your kid or something. I can, even with my eyesight, see a difference between human eye max fps and 60 fps. I can’t really tell between 1080p at 60 and 1080p at 75, but realize other people can as well as unlocking your reflexes in Fortnite or Halo multiplayer.

Why in the world would you need 240fps on any game or even movie? Are there any 144fps Battlezone wizards who lose to 200+fps Chads? Or I s it just a fun thing to stream or screenshot your overlay, kinda like a pie-eating contest? I do, again, see why games with consequences take a player with faster equipment and the reflexes to use them at another level. Is it like running a custom cooler to overclock your 3090 200% at -40°C for ”street” nerd cred? Is there any advantage to 220fps gameplay over playing at 198fps? I figure I’m just not keeping up with new hardware as well as being really bad on First Person Shooters against humans, even though I play well in single player campaigns against HardMode AI in the exact same game. Hope this is an ok thread for this because monitors matter at the high end but not as much for fans of other genres with slower gameplay styles, like PvP in a MMO or Starcraft2.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

K8.0 posted:

<snip really clear response>

I want to let you know I appreciate that answer! I figured there had to be a reason or five as if it weren’t even slightly a booster then pros wouldn’t do it in the first place. Their livelihoods depend on the same as a Pro surfer needing a top of the line wax and Tony Hawk needs a very specific board he had practiced with for a new trick because muscle memory is a real phenomenon. They can still kick rear end without custom gear (me at 1080p), but the bleeding edge means newest tech at highest specs (oc’d 3090 etc) available.

Thanks again! I just hope I can tell the difference after my corneal transplant, which is the main reason I cannot compete in old hobbies or recognize the difference in native HD and 4K. Saves me money, I guess 😳.

Edit: Thanks to you too, Doc! I hope I didn’t come off like a jerk or even sarcastic—-I’ve had an eye that has lower visual acuity than a Planarian for a decade, and figured lack of good depth perception was the reason I can’t function much at reading text on greater than 1080/60 from about 24”-30” away from my screens! My eye is perfectly fine except for my pyramidal shaped cornea and we’ve run out of weapons to mitigate it now. I really hope by this time next year to be asking about a couple of decent 1440p/120fps monitors!

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 24, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Dennis McClaren posted:

I just bought a new Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop with a GTX3050ti in it. I used the Nvidia control panel and the external monitor control's to calibrate my external gaming monitor yesterday.
But today when I started using the laptop itself without the external monitor, I'm noticing there is a yellow tinge/tint over all the white colors on my display. Whether it's in a movie/Video where it's very prominent yellow shaded whites, or just browsing chrome, all the whites are kind of washed with like a yellow influence.
I didn't change any display settings on my laptop though - just the external monitor. No windows settings. So I'm not sure how this happened.
How do I get rid of this yellow tint that's discoloring my whites? Thanks for any help.

Check the laptop settings for Win10’s “nite light” feature being on. It changes colors down from blue light to warm, yellow-orange colors on my older laptop. I used to get the same treatment from f.lux until MS came with their own official tool.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

K8.0 posted:

I don't think you should necessarily feel rushed to buy a monitor just because it's an upgrade if you have no money and aren't going to any time soon.

Yeah, this is good advice. I’ve posted about my vision troubles before, and six months after my transplant (minimum time before fitting contacts) I hope to be able to tell a difference in my monitors (2 not-matched TVs) at 1080p/60 and a monitor like this. It’s a great deal, but I’m not getting it because I don’t have any idea about the future outcomes. If you have no pressing need for an upgrade, just hang on to your cash. I’ve missed a few Epic Games on sale only to get them for free a month later (got all three Shadowrun games for free one week after missing them for $2.99 a month earlier!).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I use two monitors, a 32” 1080p/60 and a 48” 1080p/60. The smaller is on the right, stacked up on old school books to match the height of the bigger one. It’s also my main “working” monitor, but borderless full-screen games look great on the big one.

Did I say “monitors?” I meant repurposed TVs ☠️. The big one was always good because I could read and follow chat in multiplayer games or MMOs, but that was also more important until my isp upgraded to voice chat-friendly bandwidth allowances. I still use it for reading Kindle books in dark mode, two. The settings for my bad eye/good eye work better so I can read without constantly turning pages with only one page viewing and up scaling text. My decade old iPad’s Retina Display is fine for AppleBooks in bed/couch reading.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I guess if he's considering buying multiple monitors, there's always the "why not both" approach, if he's okay with mismatched monitor sizes (I'm doing that right now and it's not that bad tbh).

My mismatched monitors (TVs) were hard to get used to until I stuck three specific schoolbooks under the fixed-in-place stand of the smaller one. Once the top bezels got height-level at the top, it was no trouble to keep up with the mouse cursor anymore. Display Fusion helped, too!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ijyt posted:

just wish more came with a software option to trim the main display to 16:9 and give you a skinny tall virtual monitor on the left or right edge.

I would like to see a pic of that setup myself…the coding multimonitor setups I’ve seen with portrait mode screens on one (or both!) edges of a big landscape display have been really cool and unique looking. I have no need myself, but after getting into upgrade/hardware threads while discussing new GPUs (and branching out as I learned more), some folks wfh/rgb/gaming setups are very stylish and different from mine (with my mouse+kb on TV trays right in front of my dual TVs-as-monitors in front :D).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

K8.0 posted:

Depends on the devices, but typically DisplayPort is going to be preferable as the primary connection for high refresh gaming displays. Generally gaming monitors tend to come with a DP cable for that reason.

My poo poo’s old enough that I ran my single HDMI port to my main, and dvi or vga or whatever on my second display with my GTX970 system. I had to buy a DP->HDMI adapter for my main monitor b/c it doesn’t even have a DP input to match my newer card.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Unsinkabear posted:

XV272U KVbmiiprzx

Goddammit, you just made that up…didn’t you?

What crack-substitute are these marketers on? Wouldn’t it be easier to sell an “A1, B5, and Visio” models?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yikes, it keeps going. I responded to their email by saying why they'd advertise NVidia GSync compatibility by silkscreening it onto the display frame, then say my RTX 3080 wasn't compatible. Well, that's because the display is only compatible with these series of graphics cards:

Well, gently caress me for getting an RTX 3080 instead of an GTX 3080. I feel like their support is gaslighting me.

I’ve been in the non-crypto GPU thread for most of 3,000 pages and didn’t know GTX 30xx existed. WTF? Like buying a 90” screen for your 800x600 Win98 display.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

As a schizophrenic individual, not seeing things can be more troubling than hallucinating extra stuff into the world.

Thanks for setting me right :chanpop:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Michaelis posted:

and mild ips glow in the lower left corner

Someone I know irl that deals with graphics for ~15% of his workflow told me that his gaming monitor had a bit of IPS glow because he games at night in a dark room for a while because his wife needs more sleep and usually is out by 10:00. He put a custom-size LED strip on the back of his 32” monitor programmed to sync while barely glowing with the monitor’s colors, and it is no longer a problem.

I don’t know names or model numbers, just that it’s a pretty new 32” IPS and he almost exclusively plays FPS games so the response time makes a difference.

Does that really work? If the op or another poster already mentioned it I missed that. He gave me a the leftover 11” section of stick-on LEDs because he doesn’t want his toddler to “eat the bubbles.” 🤣

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

wolrah posted:

Putting subtle lights behind a display is a thing in the home theater world to improve the look of dark content, it seems plausible that it could help hide IPS glow assuming you have a wall behind your monitor. The RGB sync aspect is more just for fun than function but it does look cool when done right.

Apparently he got the idea from a YouTube video. The RGB strip cost >$6 from Wish or something akin to it I’ve never heard of.