Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadMax
Apr 17, 2005
MadMax
I'm looking for some advice on which upgrade path I choose for my monitor setup. Currently I have one Samsung SyncMaster 245T (1920x1200) as my primary with an old 19" Viewsonic (1280x1024) next to it for secondary usage such as adobe bridge, looking at source documents when putting together reports, web browsing while gaming, etc. What I am considering is either upgrading the primary to a 30" 2560x1600 and using my current SyncMaster in portrait as the secondary or adding two more 24" monitors (either more 245Ts or Dell 2408WFPs depending on price) for a triple monitor setup with eyefinity.

I guess I have three main questions regarding this. My graphics card is a radeon 6870, currently not over clocked at all and I can play Crysis 2 at maxed settings no problem; will I need to upgrade my gpu for either/one/both of the above-outlined ideas? My current workload is realistically 40% web browsing/office, 30% gaming, 20% adobe suite (no premier or flash) and 10% solidworks but hopefully over the next 4 months will be shifting to 30% web/office, 20% gaming, 40% adobe and 10% SW. Second, can people with either of the two setups in terms of size/resolution I am considering speak to the practical/workflow advantages of either? I'm leaning towards the tri 24" just because it will be a lower additional cash outlay to swallow but if having that much additional unbroken screen real estate makes a huge difference I could convince myself to get a U3011 or similar. Lastly, am I completely missing some other option or is one (or both) of my ideas completely addlebrained for my workload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU