Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the MBP minileds are by all accounts great which makes the Studio Display head scratching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the alienware qd-oled is overprovisioned as you described

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Keep an eye out for the stand/case the portable monitor comes with - many of them use a tablet style case that doubles as a stand and don’t work well in practice

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Zarin posted:

That's what I was noticing. What would a "good" stand for this application look like?

asus has some portables with kickstands i think
but your best bet might be to get a separate tablet stand

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

PIP/PBP and KVM would make it feature richer than the Alienware

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

surprised samsung is sticking to such an extreme curve

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

is there a reason why HDR shows up as an option when I hook up my M1 macbook air via HDMI on my Thunderbolt dock but not when I use a USB-C hub?
Both do 3440x1440@100hz

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The odyssey ark seems more interesting if you want a huge monitor at your desk

I don’t see how using a TV as a monitor works

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm using the alienware qd-oled as my desktop monitor for work as well as gaming so let's see how burn-in works out

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i've had it for a couple months hooked up to my desktop as well as my m1 macbook air via a thunderbolt 4 dock

pretty happy with it - both for gaming and work (coding). i may have noticed some of the text fringing issues when i first switched from my Acer 27" Predator IPS but i don't notice any issues now

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

no issue driving the AW3423DW at 3440x1440@100 with an M1 MBA using a Belkin TB4 dock

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

and USB-C too hopefully with decent PD capabilities - it's annoying how often gaming monitor manufacturers halfass USB-C support (for laptops)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the pixel refresher stuff on the Alienware is interesting - it goes automatically if i turn my monitor off after using it for (i think) >4 hours at a shot

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i've finally found a use case for the USB hubs that come default with most monitors these days - plugging my bluetooth and 2.4 adapters into the monitor hub seems to extend the range versus having them plugged into a mini PC

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

is there any performance hit with running a 2nd portable monitor via USB-C (presumably alt-display)?
i just remembered i had a 16" Asus portable monitor and have hooked it up on top of my QD-OLED main

it's been sitting in storage since i used to use 2x27" but this seems to be a good secondary monitor now that i'm on a single 34"

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

infraboy posted:

Cons: The reviews weren't joking when they said Tizen was slow and laggy, interface and remote have significant a learning curve

yeah i got an LG OLED TV earlier this year and i was taken aback by how slow TV menu interfaces are

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i switched from 2x27 to a 34 UW for WFH/gaming and i've had no issues with screen sharing on calls

the issue for me is that 34" is a downgrade from 2x27" and you lose the ability to have one of the monitors in portrait for long form text/code

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

24" in portrait would probably have been the sweet spot but an overly tall (27") portrait monitor is easier to deal with than a too short one

and i guess this is very much ymmv but i find it easier to look at two windows arrayed vertically than horizontally (e.g., code + terminal).

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 18, 2022

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Kylaer posted:

I currently have an Acer Predator XB271HU, 27" 1440p at 144hz

that's a workhorse (which i had for about the same length of time)
i wouldn't bother upgrading unless you have a sudden desire to go 4K or OLED

maybe the apple studio display?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i've had the alienware qd-oled for half a year now and upgraded from a 27" 1440P - been happy with it both for gaming and productivity
34" 1440P UW seems like a good sweet spot

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm using the DW model >8 hours a day for work and gaming so we'll see if i'm speed-running burn-in

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i looked into the 7-9 inch monitors for the same reason and they unfortunately seem to be mostly mini-HDMI + USB (for power)
would've preferred a single USB-C setup

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the power delivery on the Gigabyte monitors stuck out to me when they were released - 15W is useless for most laptops

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

change my name posted:

The 45" Corsair Xeneon Flex can toggle between gaming and spreadsheet mode :cenobite:

first time i'm hearing of this and lol that it's 3440x1440

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Any reason why they can't just get a vanilla USB-C portable monitor?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's odd that there aren't any 38" OLEDs

32" monitors aren't great for productivity,, I'd feel like I'd need two for side by side stuff

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i still regularly get hit with a "wow" moment using a (QD)-OLED monitor

it's not just for media consumption - having my IDE set to pitch dark mode and seeing code backgrounded by perfect blacks is neat

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Ran into an odd bug with my Alienware QD-OLED where g-sync stopped working (didn't show up as a feature on nvidia control panel) and I had to power cycle the monitor to get it working again

It was a good reminder at how bad tearing is without g-sync because I was playing Dead Island 2 and the tearing was incredibly noticeable even with a 120fps average frame rate

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i've had the original dw model for a year at this point - runs great for both productivity and gaming
oled is great with dark modes

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's such a common online shopping thing to do though - i assume stuff like "X in Y just bought Z" popups come by default on eshopping site packages

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1694270896058380658?s=20

lol i occasionally get tempted by these large (e.g., 49") ultrawides but they'd probably be unfun to use in practice

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is it normal for HDR to go wonky when exiting a HDR game in Windows? I've noticed that the screen gets dimmer and I'll have to turn the HDR windows setting off and on. Not always but enough to be annoying

On the alienware qd-oled

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

has anyone side-graded from 34" to 32"?
the new alienware 32" 4k oled looks to be an interesting upgrade from my current alienware UW

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Just "upgraded" from the Alienware 34 qd-oled to the 32 qd-oled and it's a mixed change.
the higher res does make stuff look sharper but the nature of windows scaling makes it feel like i've lost a lot of screen real estate

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the dolby vision implementation on the alienware 32 oled is bizarre - i'm running into issues playing netflix hdr videos full-screen where the monitor jumps in and out of DV mode

looking online, it looks like there's a firmware on the way to toggle DV but a PITA until then

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

another oddity with the alienware 32, relative to the 34, is the "shared" brightness being a lot more obvious.
just having a browser open side-by-side with a video player will have the browser brighten and dim in reverse to the video

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The main constraint is that the most common ultrawide form factor is 34" and you tend to lose a fair bit of pixel height with that. The other quirk is depending on your desk space, you might end up with the ultrawide setup so you're staring at the middle of two side-by-side windows. Might be less comfortable than the standard multi monitor where you're staring straight at one monitor/window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/Retroldtech/status/1781215915901591929